PDA

View Full Version : YOUR opinion on Alphonse armor color?

Kagome9
04-12-2011, 03:23 PM
So I'm working on an Alphonse Elric cosplay (full armor) and I'm not sure what color to paint it. In the anime and manga both, it never seems terrible shiny but it does seem to be made of metal. My question is this: Should I paint my armor a flat (matte) grey- or even a blueish grey- or a metallic silver?

Sorry if I'm not giving credit to these cosplayers correctly but here's a few examples of what others have done, just tell me which ones you guys like best!

Here's the matte blue/grey
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/355535/

And the shiny silver
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/212135/

And another silvery one
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/325885/

So, grey or silver?

Rose of Battle
04-12-2011, 03:40 PM
I personally like the blue/grey because I always thought it had a blueish tint in the anime.

Viveeh
04-12-2011, 07:21 PM
I like the silver because the armor does seem to be made of metal, and I think it gives a more metallic feel.

Marika
04-12-2011, 08:07 PM
The reason it doesn't appear shiny in manga or anime is because shiny doesn't translate well to print or animation source. It's easier and faster to go with a flat color.

I like the bluish grey, but Viveeh is right about the metal. The matte colour doesn't translate to a metallic surface very well. Would there be some way to incorporate both the blue-grey and a metallic look, that way, you'd have the best of both?

Lulexiaa
04-12-2011, 08:47 PM
I like the "And another silvery one" :3

ubercaledor
04-12-2011, 11:33 PM
Yeah, depending on how you wanted it to look, you could potentially underpaint with blue-grey and then do a thinned coat of metallic.
Another option is to do a blue-grey with a gloss coat to get some shine, or alternatively you could do it metalic blue and then paint it over with a matte varnish, this would then kill a lot of the shine, but leave some of the metalic feel.

Kagome9
04-13-2011, 10:27 PM
I wish there was a way that I could see all these variations without having to go buy all those different colors and types of paint. =\

gambit86
04-14-2011, 01:03 PM
I would say if you have access to an airbrush, make the best of both worlds. Mix a blue in with silver with a good 10-80 mix and give a few test runs. Mix and match untill you find exactly what you like, and then expand on it.

I know Alclad has some amazing paints, but cost/amount ratio would be a killer.

Also check under titanium labeled paints, as they often have a blue hue to it, you might find one you really like.

Kagome9
04-21-2011, 03:52 AM
So, where is the best place to buy metallic paint? Autozone? A hardware store?

I saw some at Wal Mart but it looked kinda cheap. Someone had test sprayed a spot next to the price tag and it was chipping pretty badly.

Orannis
04-21-2011, 08:29 AM
I'd say to go with blue-grey, like a light slate or something. I was always under the impression that the suit was an old rusted thing, which is why it never shone even in bright light.

Kagome9
04-27-2011, 12:05 AM
bump for more opinions on color

asthompson
04-28-2011, 06:36 PM
I'd say to go Silver. It photographs better than the blue matte.

Stina006
06-24-2011, 04:54 PM
I'd go with the Blue color....it looks more true to the anime...however, i have figures of Alphonse that give him a silver color. very badass looking. all in all it depends on what you think would look best.