PDA

View Full Version : How would you feel about dating someone who doesn't like cosplaying?

JewishCosplayer
04-15-2011, 01:25 AM
I'm not trying to say that you shouldn't date someone just because they don't share the same interest as you, I'm just asking a question about people's personal view on the subject.

For me?
Well, Cosplay is a huge part of my life. While I wouldn't let it decide the fate of a relationship for me, it would be a factor. I love cosplaying and attending conventions. I would be very sad and dissapointed if my partner didn't share my passion. However, it wouldn't be the deciding factor to the relationship, as stated before.

I'd prefer to have someone who likes cosplaying, or at least is willing to cosplay certain characters for my pairing shots xD That'd be perfect as well.

Anyone else's view?

tehkukikookie
04-15-2011, 01:29 AM
I would just hope that they would be able to accept the fact that I'm going to dress up as a video game/cartoon character every other weekend. xD Though, if they actually had a problem with the fact that I'm a cosplayer and tried to change me, I'd question the relationship.

JewishCosplayer
04-15-2011, 01:31 AM
I would just hope that they would be able to accept the fact that I'm going to dress up as a video game/cartoon character every other weekend. xD Though, if they actually had a problem with the fact that I'm a cosplayer and tried to change me, I'd question the relationship.

Ya, I can understand if they didn't want to cosplay themselves, but if they tried to change you then I'd have to call the relationship into questioning. I mean, if they can't be supportive, that would really bother me. I'd be all, "Hey I like cosplaying. I don't bother you about your hobbies so let me enjoy mine." xD

Rinoa07
04-15-2011, 02:24 AM
My boyfriend was open to the idea when I started going out with him, but a trip to a small con with me dressed as Chun Li turned him off to the idea. He didn't like getting stopped so much for photos. Now whenever I talk about cosplay plans he either says it's stupid or keeps his mouth shut. I have to remind him I listen to him babble about things I don't particularly care for or about. It's unfortunate, so I just have to remind him about all the nifty comic book stuff I'll be bringing back from the cons I attend, alone.

I think that's what gets me the most, I have to go to conventions alone now. I used to cosplay with my ex all the time. It was like our thing. But going solo isn't always so bad. I can do whatever I want, whenever I want!

daylight
04-15-2011, 03:13 AM
I wouldn't mind if they aren't cosplayers themselves, but they at least have to have some form of respect/acceptance for it

I don't want them thinking its stupid or lame because then it just wouldn't work out. Cosplaying is the majority of what I talk about so I don't see how we could carry on too many conversations. lol

kiratsukai
04-15-2011, 03:45 AM
The same way I'd feel dating someone who doesn't like my favorite book or isn't into photography.

As long as they don't give me too much shit about it or demand I stop doing/liking what I do/like -- I'm not sure I see how it matters.

The Seventh Sea
04-15-2011, 03:49 AM
Yeaaah, that happened to me about my last girlfriend. Didn't like the idea of me being into anime. Couple months down the road, found out I bought an anime figure, then texted me that it was off because I didn't change for her.

While I don't cosplay at the moment, if I had a girlfriend that did, well, that's a huge plus.

Shana05
04-15-2011, 04:27 AM
I wouldn't mind if they didn't like cosplaying themselves but if they're the type that think that cosplayers need to "get a life." That would be the deal breaker. Although someone who doesn't cosplay and/or doesn't like hearing about it probably wouldn't want to date me. I always have some project in the works so I talk about cosplay constantly.

Tigress
04-15-2011, 04:48 AM
It's my hobby and something I derive a part of my income from. One day, I'm hoping to do it full-time and make a living off it. The hubby doesn't want to cosplay and misses me when I go without him to conventions, but he understands why I do it.

It's like him and Magic: the Gathering. While I like playing and do it semi-competitively, I'm not as into it as he is. I miss him when he goes to tournaments, but I consider it the trade-off for my con-going.

Lithium Flower
04-15-2011, 07:45 AM
I wouldn't really give a crud. It isn't the end of the world to me because someone I like might not also enjoy putting on spandex Superman costumes on the side.

Boyfriend doesn't usually for srsface cosplay since he goes with a booth at the artist alley :K he does wear a Cyberman mask (http://tedbob.deviantart.com/gallery/?q=cyberman#/d2qve5y) though.

He tries to get me to cosplay all the characters he loves so "Someone will do them well" ^///^ hehe.

Kildread
04-15-2011, 07:51 AM
I haven't dated anyone who cosplays yet. I wasn't even into cosplay a few years ago (Not that the will wasn't there, I'm just slow to jump into new activities).

Right now, I still wouldn't mind --- I'm fine with having a few common activities and find stuff we enjoy to do together.

As others have said, it boils down to whether my partner wants to be controlling about my choice of activities. One of my convention friends just had a falling out in her relation over stuff like that.

And I'm like "Wow, sometimes people can't realize there's 2 individuals in a relation".

DireKitty
04-15-2011, 08:15 AM
I haven't dated anyone who cosplays yet. I wasn't even into cosplay a few years ago (Not that the will wasn't there, I'm just slow to jump into new activities).

Right now, I still wouldn't mind --- I'm fine with having a few common activities and find stuff we enjoy to do together.

As others have said, it boils down to whether my partner wants to be controlling about my choice of activities. One of my convention friends just had a falling out in her relation over stuff like that.

And I'm like "Wow, sometimes people can't realize there's 2 individuals in a relation".

This. Which tends to be what breaks up most of my relationships. Strangely it's because they don't understand why I don't give a crap what they do.

"I'm going out with some friends."
"K, enjoy."
"you gonna call me?"
"uh, no... why?"
"...you don't want to check in on me?"
"No, i'm not your mom... go, and have fun with your friends."

next day

"You didn't call me."
"I said I wasn't going to."
"Yah but... i'm used to girls calling me."
"GTFO"

If they want to go do X, Y or Z, good on them. I'm not their mom, they are an adult, they can do their own shit without my permission. If they let me know when they are coming back, I might bake them some banana bread or something, otherwise go have fun.

I'm like a cat, I enjoy when people are around, i'm also just as content being left alone to read or whatever. My last ex thought that was great at first, since he goes on bike tours for a week here and there. But he ended up being the controlling one, questioning everything. If someone does something that annoys me, more often then not i don't bring it up... because it doesn't matter. Everyone has annoying facets of their personality. Being in a relationship means ignoring them for the other jems. Oh hell no, everything was under a microscope... and we had to talk about EVERYTHING. I don't do that stuff. I don't want to get into a big conversation about not holding your hand at dinner... or about leaving a mug in the sink. I clean your mugs without whining about it, so stfu and clean mine.

... and if they piss you off too much, you give 'em a paw swat to the head, then get over it.

I could care less if my next bf gets into a costume and runs around with me, as long as he's cool with me doing it. If he does get into a costume and runs around with me, thats cool too. If he doesn't want to cosplay with me, thats fine (he just misses out on the EXTREME fun of being around me).

I dunno, maybe i'm just an ice queen and part of being an awesome gf is calling 24/7 and trying to ensure they never go out with their friends and the like... and trying to be at their house all the time... and having deep conversations about mugs and shit.... >.>

Lithium Flower
04-15-2011, 08:22 AM
I dunno, maybe i'm just an ice queen and part of being an awesome gf is calling 24/7 and trying to ensure they never go out with their friends and the like... and trying to be at their house all the time... and having deep conversations about mugs and shit.... >.>

Maybe we're both horrible horrible people?

pltshp
04-15-2011, 08:31 AM
As long as they accepted it and didn't try to stop me, it's fine.

My ex was very controlling and tried to stop me specifically from crossplaying. He said he only wanted me to do female cosplays if I was going to do it at all. He simply would not let the matter go, he couldn't hold a conversation without ripping into me about it and so it was one of many reasons that led to a breakup.

But yeah, if I were with someone and they didn't cosplay, I wouldn't mind as long as they were supportive about it.

Pocketfightr
04-15-2011, 08:34 AM
I would only ask that the guy have an open mind. (Whether it be giving it a try once or at least being supportive of the fact that I enjoy doing it.) My ex was able to be talked into a couple costumes and I think he was a real trooper for giving it a try.

JewishCosplayer
04-15-2011, 12:39 PM
Thank you to everyone who has posted so far, it's very interesting.

I once dated this guy who thought that cosplayers were freaks of nature. He never knew that I cosplayed because we only dated for about a week. Anyway, a few days ago I found out that he likes to attend Medieval Fairs and dress up. I was shocked. Seriously I was pissed. He has the nerve to call all cosplayers freaks of nature who need to grow up and get lives, when he attends Medieval Fairs and dresses up for them.

All my other Ex's were understanding of my cosplaying, so for that I was thankful. Hopefully I can find someone who I can date and cosplay with at the same time soon. :)

Akiyhrah
04-15-2011, 12:54 PM
It would be great to have a partner that was into cosplay as much as I am.. hell I'd even say it's ideal for me.
However, all I really ask for is acceptance and support. If I end up with someone who doesn't like to cosplay, that's fine as long as they don't put me down for it, or try to stop me. Cosplaying and conventions are a HUGE part of my life and if my partner can't accept that, then they don't fully accept me. I'm certainly not going to remain in a relationship if my partner doesn't accept or respect me and my interests; in the end I'd just end up bitter and resentful, so it's not worth it.

Eau de Decus
04-15-2011, 12:54 PM
I don't mind it considering my girlfriend doesn't cosplay or attend conventions, nor does she really have an interest in doing it. She supports me regardless and that's all I ask.

Michi
04-15-2011, 01:01 PM
I haven't dated a cosplayer in about 6 years now, and my life is better for it. Haha. Dating a cosplayer, especially a more local one, is pretty awful after the break-up since you then get to awkwardly run into each other at later cons. Or the worst, where after my ex and I broke up he did a costume pair we were planning with his new girl! And, of course, the photoshoots are plastered everywhere you look, etc. It's ridiculous. Felt like dating from the same high school and seeing their yearbook prom photo or something, with her wearing the dress I was going to get. Hahaha.

My boyfriend and I have been together for 2 years, live together, and have never cosplayed together. Haha. I haven't been AS active in cosplay as I once was during our relationship so far, but he supports me just the same. He's shown up at some local cons to hang out, watch my performances, and stuff like that. But cosplay has become a hobby where you can be so scrutinized that I'm glad that my relationship is out of "the scene" and a bit more private.

We've played with the idea of putting him in a costume and he's not opposed to it, but even then I doubt he'd spend the weekend with me at a con. I kinda prefer it that way. He has his other hobbies I don't share, and I have mine! Though we have plenty of stuff we do together, too. Balance is made of yay.

TR Rose
04-15-2011, 01:22 PM
I don't know how I'd answer this. My husband and I discovered cosplay together. Sometimes we do sets that match, sometimes not. We don't like all of the same series and have realized that it's not as much fun to cosplay a character you don't particularly like.

If he wasn't into cosplay, that would be ok - as long as he didn't give me too much crap about enjoying the hobby. While it is nice to have someone to cosplay and go to conventions with, I have friends who I can cosplay with and attend conventions with. Some of my favorite "pairs" costumes don't involve him at all. :3

Sira
04-15-2011, 01:48 PM
My most recent ex actually completely hated anime and all things dealing with it. ^^'' But luckily we had alot more in common than just anime so we were really happy. Now when it came time for cons I was kinda worried about how'd he'd act, but he was actually very sensible. He said that it didn't matter if he didn't like it, I should keep doing what made me happy. So that was really nice. It may not have worked out with him completely ( I ended up breaking it off when I got really depressed from family stuff) but we're still amazingly awesome friends....and..... Now he comes to cons with me XD And cosplays!!!! Once he found out that there were Fallout, Halo, Gears of War, Dead Space, etc cosplayers he went crazy! XD Alot of the time.... The couples who are against cosplaying don't realize that its more than just anime.... its also some of their favorite games.

DireKitty
04-15-2011, 05:01 PM
Maybe we're both horrible horrible people?

I think so.

I'm okay with that though. How about you?

Psycho_Kitty
04-15-2011, 05:13 PM
I actually got my husband into cosplaying. He is actually doing his first one this year and so far his armor he's making looks good. But he's not really into yet. He doesn't see how I can finish my 3 costumes in 3 months but i told him thats the beauty of having that time of pressure and stress i can get the work done and be focused

Chaletica
04-15-2011, 05:24 PM
Well, as long as they could respect it and don't give me lots of crap about it, it would be fine.

Emiko87
04-15-2011, 05:34 PM
I'd do my level best to convert them. In three years I got my brothers to go from "you're dressing as an anime character? LOLstupid" to "I want a cosplay of this character so I can go to the con with you" :rofl: One of them even said he wants to crossplay, for his FIRST cosplay, all of his own volition. I am so proud of him :sunny:
But anyway, I bet I totally could convert a bf xD

zizi994
04-15-2011, 05:35 PM
That...would never happen. XD

I mean, honestly. There is no way I could date someone that was into anime. I know that's really, REALLY limiting my options (trust me I know) but seeing how much me and my boyfriend talk about anime and all we do is pretty much watch anime and do generally nerdy stuff, I can't see myself with someone that wasn't as obsessed with anime as I was. That being said, I know there are some anime fans that I don't enjoy cosplay, but that type of personality that goes along with that would not be appealing to me.

ARIADecember
04-15-2011, 05:42 PM
Respect my hobbies, then I'll respect yours

Ragtime Mouth
04-15-2011, 07:14 PM
Honestly, I don't think my relationships would last if the other weren't somewhat into the same crafts as I am. It's a godsend my husband is so in tune with everything I do, vice versa. He wasn't into cosplay for himself be appreciated it, and when he met me is very open to it all. It helps that we love the same games and appreciate the few anime we do enjoy in the same way. My first boyfriend was open to it, but we broke up for other reasons, so it's not the foundation of our relationship. And my second was open, but was just into Star Wars types things.. which I like, I grew up with, heck there is a giant toy millium falcon we won from a toysrus hanging in our living room, but I just wasn't big into like him.. and he liked the newer ones, which.. honestly I can't stand, but that wasn't any reason for our break up. He was just a blow hard, self righteous jerk.

I'm so happy with my relationship with my husband, and so lucky to have him. I'm constructing a costume for him from a game I love that he hasn't even gotten to play yet, and he's just happy and fine with it. :D I think cosplay can be a great bonding effort, but not the thing that keeps people together, just as long as you respect what make each other happy.

FunnyValentine
04-15-2011, 09:26 PM
My boyfriend doesn't really like it. He just goes to conventions with me to make me happy, plus I like to go to conventions with him. He helps me with cosplays and likes how I look in them so I think that's pretty awesome. It would be cool if he wanted to cosplay more characters so we can cosplay a bunch of couples, oh well. I appreciate that he wears a Yusuke cosplay I put together for him. :)

Ending a relationship or not trying to start a relationship because they aren't into cosplay isn't such a wise decision. Just my opinion.

BraveKnight
04-15-2011, 09:45 PM
Both of my last girlfriends cosplayed and I didn't cosplay =( BUT I thought it was awesome that they did. I'm finally feeling comfortable enough in my own skin to don my "cowl" so to speak but I have yet to go through the partner that doesn't like cosplaying phase. =P

I don't think I could get along with someone who couldn't at least appreciate cosplay though. Yeah I think I'd need a girlfriend that was AT LEAST 75% as nerdy as me =P or I'd probably bore them to tears with my nerd arguments: "No... no... a stake through the heart puts them into torpor it doesn't kill them. No... no stop! Put twilight down! I don't care that your vampires aren't crispy critters in daylight *listens to fan girl moment for a few minutes* It doesn't matter Jacob was... *listens to pointless argument about why vampires are cooler then werewolves* Well you know what? I'd just equip Save the Queen and dangle a shiny necklace in front of you and say: I got us something from the store yesterday... I hope you like it"

After saying that line if we began making out in front of fireworks I'd be ok with that. But I mean... obviously fantasy's like that don't happen. I'm also probably going to have to go hide in a cave of shame for a couple hours after this post ><

>.>

Oh well I think it's funny =P

Sakura Blizzard
04-15-2011, 10:02 PM
I'd say it depends. I can never seem to keep a guy that long though I know it'f because I'm not fun apparently.
But I would love that my guy knowledge it's something I enjoy and respect it. I've had to many people that dissed me to that any more. I get emotional pretty quick.
I kind of make it clear to my friends and people around me know that I'm into cosplay so should not be a huge shock. then again I have otaku friends.
I can except it he doesn't like it to much for what I might wear but then again I don't think I'd like to torture him with that kind of thing. He should at least acknowledge that I enjoy it.

Volnixshin
04-15-2011, 10:28 PM
I don't. Cosplaying is a HUGE part of my life. It's a helluva lot easier if they do it too. So I only date cosplayers.

Mangochutney
04-15-2011, 11:04 PM
I married somebody who doesn't like cosplaying. We're both completely fine with having interests the other doesn't share, which I think is awfully important. He listens to me natter on about it sometimes, and obligingly tells me I look cool in the outfit and snaps photos to the best of his ability. I oblige his pet manias in return and everyone is happy. <3

ShinobiXikyu
04-15-2011, 11:13 PM
I love cosplaying wayyyyy too much to be with someone who won't/doesn't like cosplaying. I was lucky; my boyfriend/fiancee I managed to turn onto cosplaying. He's certainly not as nuts as me, but there's no arguing needed if I want him to dress up for a con.

Akemi Idane
04-16-2011, 02:02 AM
My ex-boyfriend I actually broke up with just on the cusp of an 11th Doctor Who cosplay...the jacket shell is still sitting in my room.
...I ought to finish and wear it someday. It fits me.

ANYWAYS. We broke up for other reasons (basically, it didn't feel like a relationship anymore and just friends with a title) and so now I have a girlfriend.
And she loves cosplaying to death.
Honestly, it was liberating for me to date someone that right from the get-go was like "OHMYGOD THIS SOUNDS AMAZING DRESS ME UP NOW" and was actually willing to learn the sewing bits and whatever else of it. She actually dealt with a very immobilizing costume for her first (Slenderman! <3) and it was LOVELY. Defining moment of that weekend was when she looked at video footage of herself and said "Ohmygod, is that how I looked? I looked amazing!" Made me glow because I helped her make that and she was so phobic of cosplaying before because she didn't want to look bad doing it.

...I'm trying to get her to cosplay Uranus and Neptune with me because I've had a serious desire to pull the blue-haired lady off for a while and she just so happens to be six feet tall and blonde. Not that I'd make her cut her hair or anything, but it means she looks good with blonde hair, something I do not look good with.

Also, I have this tendency to flirt like I'm actually legal at cons with all the cosplayers. I don't usually idolize real people - I idolize fictional characters. So at a convention my head gets all confused and goes "OHMYGOD WESKER IS REAL QUICK GO HIT ON HIM".
Obviously I don't actually -do- anything since I am a) underage and b) taken, but I'd be much more likely to find that sort of a relationship at a convention in the first place. I'm just wired to fall in love with fellow nerds. 8D

Axelai
04-16-2011, 09:10 PM
I met my girlfriend through this website.

Hell yeah.

Though, Its not a SUPER huge thing for me. I mean, as long as they understand its something I do, and they'd let me dress them up sometimes, I'm good P:

Lithium Flower
04-16-2011, 09:34 PM
I think so.

I'm okay with that though. How about you?

That depends.

Are we suppose to obsessively call our significant others, actively destroy their social group and fiercely attack any female within a 5 mile radius of them at all times?

Dating Advice (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMsW87pLWw4)

DireKitty
04-16-2011, 09:53 PM
That depends.

Are we suppose to obsessively call our significant others, actively destroy their social group and fiercely attack any female within a 5 mile radius of them at all times?

Dating Advice (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMsW87pLWw4)

I'm too lazy to do that.

Hitsutai
04-16-2011, 10:39 PM
As long as the guy accepts the fact that I like to cosplay and he's fine with it, sure!

ARIADecember
04-17-2011, 12:12 AM
i guess some other problems might come out of it if your girl/boy/it friend doesn't like you cosplaying.

When your at a con, you get attention, they might not like you hugging or so, another guy/girl/it....(crossplayers thats gender is unknown)

They could be the types that just can't get over the fact there girl/guy/it (you never know) is out at a convention hugging and getting close to other people that they don't know.

This however is just another way of looking at "dating someone who doesn't like you cosplaying."

Zukitata
04-17-2011, 01:17 AM
i haven't started dating yet, but i can still give my two cents(or was it one?)

it kinda depends if you mean 'doesn't like cosplay' as in 'i hate that you dress up like that dumb character' or if you mean 'i'm not interested, but it doesn't bother me that you dress up'. i think i'd prefer someone who was interested in cosplaying too, but someone who is indifferent about it would be fine. as long as they don't hate it with a passion, it'd be okay

F.K.A.Freya
04-17-2011, 11:08 PM
I was dating a guy for three years and even managed to get him to cosplay with me a couple times but the key word here is 'managed'. He never openly volunteered to cosplay with me and almost always had to mention how 'immature' I was for doing it. That relationship ended and he said it was for other reasons (he never actually told me why he dumped me) but I always got the feeling it was because he thought anime and cosplay was immature or childish.

Long story short. I won't be dating anyone who tells me that cosplay is childish or hates on my D&D group. He doesn't have to cosplay but he has to respect that I love it and not try to change me because of it.

Lulexiaa
04-18-2011, 01:53 PM
I guess I wouldnt really mind.. as long as he accepts my interests

Lilyela
04-19-2011, 01:44 AM
Doesn't really matter to me, to be honest, although I love cosplay. My current girlfriend is also a cosplayer, so I guess I'm lucky. None of my ex boyfriends liked cosplay, which I was quite fine with then.

RinoaShadow
04-19-2011, 04:18 AM
While I consider myself far to young to date right now (only 14.), i can imagine that since Cosplay is pretty big of a thing in my life it'd kinda matter to me whether the person i dated had negative opinions on cosplay or not.

I would not care if they didnt cosplay or if they didnt care for it, but if they were only ever negative about it or just didnt accept it as a hobby or interest of mine, i'd ditch them right there.
They don't need to love it, but a slight apprecition/not bagging it would be... sorta nice.

acostory
04-19-2011, 12:03 PM
I wouldn't care if the person I dated wasn't a cosplayer. They'd eventually become one. That's the kind of effect I have on people. ;D

Video games are something completely different, however. I'd have to date a gamer, just because gamers think differently from other people. Their minds are different.... it's hard to explain, but that's kind of what I look for. Someone who has a higher level of thinking. Gamers have that.

UndercoverKitty
04-19-2011, 12:49 PM
It's funny because I've never really dated anyone who wasn't a gamer or a cosplayer. I think I might be okay with it. As long as he gives it a chance and doesn't try to stop me from doing it, it would be fine I think. I'd prefer they be into it like I am, although currently as that is the case the majority of my cosplay that I do now is pairings unless I'm doing a cosplay with my BFFs. Which isn't to say a bad thing but there are just some things he wants me to do, and I'm not exactly excited about it...

cupofjasmine
04-19-2011, 12:50 PM
Video games are something completely different, however. I'd have to date a gamer, just because gamers think differently from other people. Their minds are different.... it's hard to explain, but that's kind of what I look for. Someone who has a higher level of thinking. Gamers have that.

This.
I think it'd be easier if they did cosplay. We would both have something to look forward to. I think if I was dating someone who didn't cosplay, they would be uncomfortable at the fact that I would be getting attention from others by having my picture taken, possibly getting hugs, and talking to people and not giving him attention.

DireKitty
04-19-2011, 07:49 PM
I wouldn't care if the person I dated wasn't a cosplayer. They'd eventually become one. That's the kind of effect I have on people. ;D

*roffles on ground*

You obviously have never worked at EBGames/Gamestop, or a store like them.

acostory
04-19-2011, 08:20 PM
*roffles on ground*

You obviously have never worked at EBGames/Gamestop, or a store like them.

... point taken.

BraveKnight
04-19-2011, 09:45 PM
lol I used to work for EB and Gamestop and would like to point out that your joke is only accurate 25% of the time =P

Granted it's usually someone in management... although I was fortunate to work for the cool store.

Uerria
04-20-2011, 12:45 AM
><; My boyfriend, at first he didn't like the idea of "dressing up and acting like a character". It just didn't "float his boat". I was kind of saddened, especially since I wanted him to join me and we could have awesome cosplaying adventures together~~ </shot>

XD; But eventually, he stayed with me during my costume making sessions for a few days, and realized how much I really loved it and basically accepted it. He's interested in getting into it now. I was a happy duckling. :B

NatsuRei
04-26-2011, 10:00 AM
><; My boyfriend, at first he didn't like the idea of "dressing up and acting like a character". It just didn't "float his boat". I was kind of saddened, especially since I wanted him to join me and we could have awesome cosplaying adventures together~~ </shot>

XD; But eventually, he stayed with me during my costume making sessions for a few days, and realized how much I really loved it and basically accepted it. He's interested in getting into it now. I was a happy duckling. :B

Cool, that's nice. Ironically, my ex-girlfriend who was a cosplayer, and I broke up for personal reasons (retaining friendship involving coitus), but I met this new girl in a con who's not into cosplay, but was just dragged by her cosplay-loving girlfriends, and now we're dating. Pretty weird stuff.

I guess support really plays a major role on the equation. I'm a little bit dissapointed, but still happy about this newfound relationship paradigm, but if I could usher her into cosplaying, that'll be nice. I'm starting to get into her hobbies as well, which are very sporty... hurr.
Nontheless, I'm supportive of her interests, she's supportive of my interests, it's a very warm feeling. Hazukashiiiiiiii~

dagmarus
04-26-2011, 10:23 AM
It would depend on if they A. judge me harshly for it or B. try to make me stop. Neither would go over well. I couldn't date someone who wanted me to stop doing something I love. I've never been one to go for the kind of woman who wants to "change" or "fix" the man their with. Either you love me for what I am or you don't. I neither want nor need to be changed.

NatsuRei
04-27-2011, 10:30 AM
It would depend on if they A. judge me harshly for it or B. try to make me stop. Neither would go over well. I couldn't date someone who wanted me to stop doing something I love. I've never been one to go for the kind of woman who wants to "change" or "fix" the man their with. Either you love me for what I am or you don't. I neither want nor need to be changed.

That's why I normally go after girls who cosplay. There are a lot of perks to that, somewhat.

DireKitty
04-27-2011, 10:36 AM
lol I used to work for EB and Gamestop and would like to point out that your joke is only accurate 25% of the time =P

Granted it's usually someone in management... although I was fortunate to work for the cool store.

I meant the customers.

"HERP DERP I LIKE COD CUZ I CAN PWN NOOBZ"
"HERP DERP.... I LIKE BAYONETTA CUZ SHE'Z LIKE... HOT."
"Wut's Final Fantasy? Is that like.... some chick game?"
"Girls don't play games, well, if they do, they are like... fat and stuff...."
"Do you guys like... sell used games?" *while staring at large wall of used games with giant sign saying USED GAMES and smaller signs along the wall saying USED GAMES* This one happened a lot.

... lotta dumb people out there. Gamers are no exception.

JiseiHakushaku
04-28-2011, 10:16 AM
As long as they aren't being judgmental, close-minded, rude, or giving me flack, I guess it's fine. I dunno, I have enough trouble explaining the demented looking wig heads and weird looking clothes to my small amount of friends who don't cosplay, I'm not sure how fun it'd be to explain to a boyfriend/girlfriend. I'd really prefer it, because I've always wanted to go to a con in couple cosplay, but if they don't it's really fine, I guess. :3

AndNowYourDead
03-23-2012, 05:33 PM
I am going out with someone who doesn't like cosplaying. But, I don't like his friends so he can deal with it..

Oniigiri_Basket
03-23-2012, 05:35 PM
I wouldn't care. As long as he would accept my hobbies, I would be fine. He wouldn't have to like the things I like or even partake in them; all I would ask is that he respect and accept me.

alpha_helix
03-23-2012, 06:56 PM
The idea of someone sharing all the same interests is nice, but impossible. I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but if someone truly cares for you they can handle your silly harmless hobbies. Odds are that your partner will have their own interest you don't get. In fact, I think having unique hobbies can be good for a relationship. Sometimes you need to do something "just for me" instead of "for us.". Different interests makes that easier.

Or maybe it's just me. I'm an ambivert and need as much personal time as people time.

sushigato
03-23-2012, 11:39 PM
it depends how far his dislike for cosplay goes... if he doesn't like cosplaying himself but is ok with other people doing it (me) then that'd be ok
if he hated it and thought it was stupid/childish/weird then no

Lithium Flower
03-24-2012, 12:04 AM
it depends how far his dislike for cosplay goes... if he doesn't like cosplaying himself but is ok with other people doing it (me) then that'd be ok
if he hated it and thought it was stupid/childish/weird then no

I would say this holds true for any hobby someone holds dear though. If Jane Doe really loves collecting model trains, but John does nothing but talk about how childish, immature, stupid, and useless the hobby is then Jane probably won't be in the relationship for very long if John doesn't learn to respect her hobby.

If John Doe just loves collecting door knobs from the 1700's, but Jane hates it and doesn't respect the hobby then the same problem arises. It isn't that the other person has to love doing the same things as the other, it's just they respect that hobby.

To be honest I find it just as shallow when someone completely rules out a person who doesn't share the same hobby, it feels just as closed minded as someone not accepting and respecting another persons interest.

RoMayDrako
03-24-2012, 12:10 AM
I'll tell you what it usually turns into for me. "I cosplay." [Insert something about not liking cosplay here] then [Insert me forgetting that he doesn't like cosplay] then it turns into a: :lost: >> << >> :( :waaaah: :bashful: :confused: SO hows the weather? :reverse:

Just so long as the guy understands that I have a bad memory, and/or so long as he takes steps to keep conversations going I don't see it as a problem. If he has a problem with me cosplaying, then it's his problem and he's going to have to deal with it. We all have our hobbies.

Musicalpencil
04-05-2012, 04:22 AM
As long as they can tolerate it at the very least, that’s fine with me. If they're going to downright hate it, or even worse if they talk bad about it behind my back (because I've had friends do this to me), it's a deal breaker. We deal with enough people seeing cosplay as "for freaks only."

TheNyru
04-05-2012, 04:50 AM
I have never had a problem like this before, I am very open about my likes and dislikes so people know what I like and enjoy doing. If a woman doesnt like cosplaying or anyone who does it (or anything else I like for that matter) they will know I do it and probably let me know they think im weird haha
Though I have to say people around me have been very supportive about my new hobby and some have even thought about it before hand and are coming along with me :)

Sybren117
04-05-2012, 05:05 AM
I would say this holds true for any hobby someone holds dear though. If Jane Doe really loves collecting model trains, but John does nothing but talk about how childish, immature, stupid, and useless the hobby is then Jane probably won't be in the relationship for very long if John doesn't learn to respect her hobby.

If John Doe just loves collecting door knobs from the 1700's, but Jane hates it and doesn't respect the hobby then the same problem arises. It isn't that the other person has to love doing the same things as the other, it's just they respect that hobby.

To be honest I find it just as shallow when someone completely rules out a person who doesn't share the same hobby, it feels just as closed minded as someone not accepting and respecting another persons interest.

Jane sounds like an idiot. 18th century doorknobs are so fucking pimp.

My ex girlfriend wasn't into the same stuff as me, we had a great relationship (until we split up... obviously... but that wasn't hobby related.)

sam vimes
04-05-2012, 10:50 AM
It wouldn't phase me, but my wife might take issue.

MisakiPhantom84
04-05-2012, 07:39 PM
While I consider myself far to young to date right now (only 14.), i can imagine that since Cosplay is pretty big of a thing in my life it'd kinda matter to me whether the person i dated had negative opinions on cosplay or not.

I would not care if they didnt cosplay or if they didnt care for it, but if they were only ever negative about it or just didnt accept it as a hobby or interest of mine, i'd ditch them right there.
They don't need to love it, but a slight apprecition/not bagging it would be... sorta nice.

Same here... I haven't dated yet,and I don't plan to anytime soon(a few years maybe...). Although if I were, then I'd say that I would rather have a cosplayer than a 'normal' person... Most conversations include cosplay and otaku-filled chats so as others have said I wont be able to have many conversations with them. I also don't mind having a so called 'normal' person either as long as they don't change me.(try to anyways.. I wont let them)... "I am a unique painting,not a copy of someone else's creativity"... also a 'normal' person can show me other things like books,movies,restaurants,etc. So,Although I prefer a cosplayer,I won't mind a 'normal' person either. :)

quizbowler
04-05-2012, 08:06 PM
I'd like it more if my girlfriend was also into cosplay, since that means we could spend more time together with costume making and going to conventions, etc. It wouldn't be the end of the world if she wasn't into it, as long as she was okay with me still taking part.

surferbrg
04-13-2012, 07:46 PM
if the person is opened minded, then it will work out, but if the person is opposite attract it will not work, it happened to a former friend of mine. It didn't work for me when I got my first gf. but your welcome to give it a try.

itlookslikerain
04-13-2012, 09:04 PM
It all comes down to mutual respect. If a guy I was interested in didn't respect me enough to keep his negative opinion about cosplaying/costumes/my geekdom to himself - it wouldn't work out. Those are things that I love, and they're a part of who I am.

That being said, my boyfriend doesn't cosplay, but he thinks that it's super-rad that I do it. He likes seeing me make costumes of the comic book characters he liked as a kid. :3

Moonsong
04-16-2012, 03:14 AM
I'd probably be iffy about it. Right now, it's the hobby I choose to devote what little extra spending money I have to, and if I couldn't share that with someone, or were forced to change, it would kind of suck. If a person cannot at the very least be respectful of my hobby, there can be no chemistry between us.