PDA

View Full Version : MechWarrior/Jade Falcon costume

JoeBoeing
11-03-2003, 03:34 PM
Hi all,

I don't know if you guys remember the old Mech Warrior cartoon and games but I was playing Mech WArrior 2 for my PC and thought, "I think it would be cool to do a Jade Falcon costume"... so I did a search on google and almost nothing came up. Rather, nothing usable.

Any idea how I go about making such a costume?

I want to make a costume based on a character I used to game as (the old pen and paper) but I have no idea on how to go about it.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

From,
Joe

musica heart
11-03-2003, 05:03 PM
this may be a stupid question...but are you cosplaying the mech or a person?

JoeBoeing
11-03-2003, 06:24 PM
person... sorry, should have made that clear.

From,
Joe

Ragresen
11-04-2003, 05:42 PM
I thightly Recommend you go out and buy one of the Battletech books pretaining to the Clans. In that will actually find more than you will need in the way of Jade Falcon Costumeing.

JoeBoeing
11-04-2003, 05:55 PM
I used to play Battletech (would love to start up again) and I have a book with a couple Jade Falcon designs but no good pics of the formal uniform and combat unirform that I want to do. And all they have is a small frontal view.

I'll look into the Jade Falcon book.

I am going to make a black jacket with emerald green sleves and the Jade Falcon design covering the entire back.

This is going on my black beret that I have:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3152482908&category=16487&rd=1

From,
Joe

Ragresen
11-07-2003, 06:34 PM
I will dig through som eof my stuff. I think I have one with some pictures of the formal uniform for the Jade Falcons.

JoeBoeing
12-13-2003, 06:00 PM
I will dig through som eof my stuff. I think I have one with some pictures of the formal uniform for the Jade Falcons.

Ragresen - Did you ever find that book?

I looked at the game shops in my area and none of them have any of the Jade FAlcon source book.

I got the rest of the fabric for my fleece Jade Falcon jacket. Black with a black hood, green sleeves and a large jade falcon symbol on the back. Full zipper in front.

Well, time to get the cutting board out.

From,
Joe

Ragresen
12-14-2003, 10:02 AM
Ok I got Scans made of those pages finnaly. I am going to try and post them to the thread.

JoeBoeing
12-21-2003, 02:32 AM
WOW! Thanks a million for the pics! I finished my Jade Falcon jacket and I'll get a pic or two of it tomarrow.

I wonder which uniform to make first? Any ideas? I'm thinking the MechWarrior Combat uniform.

Again, thanks.

From,
Joe

Ragresen
12-21-2003, 09:24 AM
Personally I liek the dress uniforms the best, but that is me. But I am more with a desire to do Star Adder Stuff as they are my Clan of Choice when I played.

RoboGundam6
12-30-2003, 11:35 PM
OMG I NOT ALONE!!! I miss the old days of Mech Warrior 2, yes, me still have game, but my comp. sux so it doesn't run very well. But ow does that bring back great memories ^_^. I LOVE THAT GAME! It as one of my firsts as a little girl ^^!

I love war games. Joe what do you think about the new clans and Mech Commander 2? They seem too..how you say...fresh, they need more violence LOL ^____^! Great series BattleMech no?

Do you read the novels? I hope too, but short on money, it the whole poor college student thing ya' know lol. ^^!

JoeBoeing
01-23-2004, 02:24 PM
Here are pics of my Jade Falcon jacket.

Has anyone else made a jacket representing their favotrite clans?

The outside body is fleece with a sift cotton/poly linning. it has a green inside pocket on the left side and it too about 50 min to bake that part.

I handsewed layer by layer (switching colors of the thread to match the colors of the fabric) the emblem on the back. That took me about 4 hours to do.

From,
Joe

JoeBoeing
01-23-2004, 02:33 PM
RoboGundam6 - I haven't hafd a chance to play Mech Commander 2... I'd love to but I haven't been able to get it to run on my Win2k machine.

As for the books... that are okay... some better than others. You can find the books cheap on ebay.

I was at a MechWarrior 2 lan party... I came in 2nd. We had 8 computers networked and I installed my MechWarrior 2 network disc and had a blast.

As to new clans... I'm a bit out of the loop. I haven't played Battletech since FASA sold the rights. Well, I have... but not the post FASA battletech. It seems like they are strayoing from the series roots and they still haven't fully explored all there is story-wise to tell.

Battletech will always have a special place in my heart.

FRom,
Joe

RoboGundam6
02-05-2004, 12:00 PM
That is DEFINATLLY Jade Falcon! Good job ^^!

I was more of a Wolf person, but I loved both, lets see...umthe clans (old ones) I can think of at the top of my head are: Jade Falcon, Smoke Jaguar, Ghost Bear,...wow I forgot ><. I'll remember when I load the old disk in ^^!

Did you know, you can actually play the MechWarrior2 disk in a cd music player and listen to all of the tracks, well of course not the 1st one thats all data, don't play that part!

I had a Windows ME system, Mech Commander runs a little slow and I hate the loading times, but its a great game, and when you step on people the Mechs footprints turn red...its so gross LOL!

Alot has changed in the clans, I don't like the stories as much anymore, but Mech Commander has a great coverage on it. They have "news reports" on the aftermath of battles, "the people who hire me" can "talk" to me, and so can my teammates in and out of battle. but the AI does have its stuipd moments, like when I want my tean to cross a battle field CARFULLY since its full of mine, of course they fall out of formation and step on all of them...sigh

Wel anyway thanks for the tips on the books ^^! If you wanna know more about the Battlemech universe...so would I, but we can fill each other in ^^!

Ragresen
02-05-2004, 06:24 PM
I have a whole mess of the classic Battletech Novels I am willing to now part with if anyone wants some.

Matrix7reloaded
02-05-2004, 08:24 PM
Go BattleTech! Anyone remember the cartoon? The good old days... ^_^!

jadednight200`
02-05-2004, 08:56 PM
Go BattleTech! Anyone remember the cartoon? The good old days... ^_^!

I haven't seen that cartoon in so long!

Catboi Blues
02-05-2004, 10:15 PM
I remember the cartoon. I'm a big Battletech/Mechwarrior fan from long ago. Its funny, I go around every once in a while with a Russian officer's coat with the House Marik pins on it. Perhaps I should dig out my old books again...

Matrix7reloaded
02-06-2004, 04:23 AM
Long ago, I used to make my BattleTech toys fight my Exo Squad toys. I remember watching Exo Squad 14 years ago in the morning before school. Anyways, those toys have been in my closet for YEARS. Speaking of books, I have only three of them and I think they are the most important... I think. Blood Legacy, Lethal Heritage, and Lost Destiny. That is when the clans invade. Yeah!

Ragresen
02-06-2004, 09:29 AM
$ books are considered Essentials if you ask me. The first and most important of them is 'Decision At Thunder Rift'. It is the book that really establishes one of the most well known Merc units outside the Wolf's Dragoons. That Merc unit is known as The GHrey Death Legion. The other three books are Essintial Clan books to read.
Way Of The Clans
Bloodname
Falcon Guard

These Three novels are known as the Jade Phoenix Triligoy. They tell the tale of the one and only Aidan Pryde. they also serve to really establish the background of the clans really well.

Oh and if Anyone is intrested I am willing to sell each of them at $5.00 a book.

Catboi Blues
02-06-2004, 12:56 PM
Ooooo, the Grey Death Legion. Good group right there. Does anyone remember back in the day when Battletech had just gotten off the ground and the best stuff that they had had all been ripped right out of Macross?

It may just be me, but I think it would be neat if we were to form a group of Battletech/Mechwarrior costumers. Does this sound good to anyone else?

Ragresen
02-08-2004, 09:59 AM
Actually the whole thing about early battletech mechs being ripped off from robotech. The truth is both companys used the same artists for the mecha. So what happened was you had a RPG game and an Anime series with the same Mecha in them. There was finnaly a legal battle over the rights and FASA (makers of Battletech) actually won the case, but because by then they were pushing the clans and their own designs they signed over the rights to Harmony Gold the mecha in question.

As to a Battletech group it sounds like a neat idea. The question is what conventions would be good for it?

Matrix7reloaded
02-10-2004, 02:33 PM
The only con I'm planning for is AX04. This sounds cool. And a little hard to cosplay as a mech.