PDA

View Full Version : Ciel Phantomhive cosplayers - so many females!

danielvutran
04-19-2011, 06:25 AM
I was just wondering why so many females cosplay as him. I think it's awesome that they do lol, but it's just something I've noticed, and I'm only on the first episode, and so far he doesn't seem very girly... I'm aware he dresses as one later on however (thanks cosplay), but I was wondering if there were any other reasons girls just love to dress up as him! Thanks!111111~

ToroSonyCat
04-19-2011, 06:31 AM
I think it's simply because the series has such a huge female fanbase.

kiratsukai
04-19-2011, 06:40 AM
The same reason most prepubescent male characters are voiced by women?
The same reason most male characters are cosplayed by women period?
The same reason Peter Pan is traditionally played by a woman?
The same reason young boys are often indistinguishable from young girls if you don't cut their hair in gender-suggestive styles or put them in gender-segregated clothing?
The same reason young boys played young women in Shakespearian theatre?
The same reason younger actors traditionally portray women in kabuki theatre?
The same reason the male parts are all played by women in the takarazuka revue?

ie. all kinds of different reasons, all valid, all boiling down to: because they can and they want to.

danielvutran
04-19-2011, 06:57 AM
^whoa calm down lol! I was just wondering if he did anything in the anime that appeals to girls (i.e. fan service!), or if the fan base was mainly girls. The first response I got answered that already lol!

han-Vu
04-19-2011, 07:35 AM
Well it's a popular series among girls, it's a damn cute dress (the pink dress outfit), gives girls a good reason to get an alike pretty pink dress..

kiratsukai
04-19-2011, 08:37 AM
a butler theme
gads of effeminate gorgeous men
an outrageously gay supporting cast member
inordinate amounts of time devoted to discussion of tea, cakes and fashion
relatively few poorly developed or quickly killed female characters (otherwise they would get in the way of the homosexual fanservice)
slashy fanservice shots on nearly all of the promo materials
a stage show featuring young male idols
merchandising by way of overpriced dolls, tiny plastic food and a gothic lolita clothing line
runs in G-Fantasy (a magazine read primarily by teenage-young adult women)

...I'm pretty sure Kuroshitsuji is aimed at women... ^^;;;

danielvutran
04-19-2011, 08:39 AM
oh well I didn't know all of that =P, I know nothing of the anime except that my friend recommended it to me, and so I just saw episode one after she mentioned it, so far Ciel just seems bad ass lol :p

kiratsukai
04-19-2011, 08:46 AM
Even when being pandered to, girls sometimes get media worth reading or watching.

We (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_uRAN34jl9DY/S81JmgBxZDI/AAAAAAAAAWs/cNBwE-gXKVA/s1600/superior_cross_vol1.jpg) have (http://www.anime-wallpapers.ws/anime/utena/utena_11_1024.jpg) at least (http://fc00.deviantart.net/images/large/indyart/anime/Sera_Myu_Sailor_Uranus.jpg) a few (http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/17100000/Shiki-togainu-no-chi-17173766-861-1600.jpg) badasses (http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs36/f/2008/248/4/8/48e24f59f56597f1c470cace2246ac3f.jpg) of note (http://www.baka-raptor.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/enma.jpg) to boast about.

RuJa 4EVA
04-19-2011, 11:32 AM
kiratsukai, my respect for you was already huge, you just made it shoot up even higher.

HidingintheMist
04-19-2011, 11:47 AM
I just cosplay him because I adore his outfits. I do like the series though. I just really cosplay him because I want to.

edwardskittykat
04-19-2011, 03:21 PM
I don't really know I just thought I had a good facial shape and body type for him also his outfits are really pretty it's not like I want to be a boy or that I'm a big fan of the anime/magna (i like it well enough but...)

superchan
04-19-2011, 03:44 PM
I LOVE COSPLAYING CIEL! I ADORE his outfits, so sequenced and sometimes filled with black roses and pearls and jewels.. I feel sort of fancy when I'm in a Ciel costume. Like I should be sitting down with my legs crossed and drinking tea out of a fancy cup while sitting on a throne. (Heheh.) ^_^

And probably because Ciel is sort of flamboyant most of the time so girls cosplay him a whole lot more.

Kuriin
04-19-2011, 04:41 PM
Kuro's fanbase is mostly girls and people tend to cosplay what they like... :|
You could also ask this about KH and Loveless and lots of other series with a lot of female crossplayers and get the same answer orz
I crossplay him cause I love the series too :D

KnightJeran
04-19-2011, 05:02 PM
Personally, A) because Ciel has the best clothes ever B) the series is so great and popular among us girls C) guys don't normally cosplay little boys, more like manly men or something D) ciel is adorable and greatly loved as an emo cold little kid and people tend to cosplay their favorite characters.

FuntomKitten
04-19-2011, 05:04 PM
Hm.
Somewhat bipolar, mostly bratty personality? Check.
Amazing clothes? Check.
Girlish features (not all, but most)? Check.
So many pairings? Check.
Good role for a bf/male friend/female friend/etc. to fill right behind him? Check.
Pretty good fanbase? Check.
...Plus he's British. What girls could deny all that? Certainly not me.
The only disadvantages I find with him are that it's so expensive and that so many people cosplay him.
The first one I deal with all the time. *shrug* The second...well, there are so many outfits, you can't find just one version (makes it interesting)...plus you can get over it quickly. XD
That's the reason I (and probably many other girls) cosplay him as opposed to other characters. (Not that I don't usually see people who cosplayed from Kuro cosplaying other characters as well--I mean, Ciel's just a good starter to test the waters with this fanbase/cosplay/etc.. So recognizeable...and so many!)

Lulexiaa
04-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Personally because I love the show *is a girl*, I love his clothes, I have the same body shape as him...

danielvutran
04-19-2011, 07:50 PM
kiratsukai, my respect for you was already huge, you just made it shoot up even higher.

oh? how come?

and also thanks to all the people that answered! I read them all and it definitely helped in answering my question lol :p sorry for sounding like such a noob, like I said I only just saw episode 1 by recommendation and was curious after I looked up his cosplays! xP I meant no harm :>

edit: wow that's a really good point PaperCutSenvy.. his clothes ARE very awesome looking indeed.. I can definitely see why a girl would wanna wear his attire. hmmm *~*

Jeyel04
04-20-2011, 01:52 PM
Well, I have cosplayed Ciel and he was my first crossplay. I do have three reasons why I chose to cosplay Ciel Phantomhive.

First, I have really fallen in love with the series. I only cosplay series and characters I really admire and love!
I really love Ciel's character. His overall character, especially being pure despite of wanting to have revenge for his family.
And, I really really really really really really wanted to have my own Sebastian!!! <3 <3 <3 ^______^

CosplayJelly
08-13-2012, 07:39 PM
The same reason most prepubescent male characters are voiced by women?
The same reason most male characters are cosplayed by women period?
The same reason Peter Pan is traditionally played by a woman?
The same reason young boys are often indistinguishable from young girls if you don't cut their hair in gender-suggestive styles or put them in gender-segregated clothing?
The same reason young boys played young women in Shakespearian theatre?
The same reason younger actors traditionally portray women in kabuki theatre?
The same reason the male parts are all played by women in the takarazuka revue?

ie. all kinds of different reasons, all valid, all boiling down to: because they can and they want to.

woot woot TAKARAZUKA!!!!!<3333333:heart::heart::heart:

Yet Another
08-13-2012, 08:11 PM
Cause he's a bratty rich boy with a sexy demon butler who wears awesome clothes.

(Kuroshitsuji = Underage Yaoi)

Mehdia
08-14-2012, 01:01 AM
Cause he's a bratty rich boy with a sexy demon butler who wears awesome clothes.

(Kuroshitsuji = Underage Yaoi)

Am I like one of the few people in the world that absolutely HATES Kuroshitsuji yaoi? I have nothing against yaoi, but I just can't stand it in Kuroshitsuji. I just don't see it at all.

rajamitsu
08-14-2012, 07:16 AM
Am I like one of the few people in the world that absolutely HATES Kuroshitsuji yaoi? I have nothing against yaoi, but I just can't stand it in Kuroshitsuji. I just don't see it at all.

Count me in that group. I wouldn't say I hate every BL possibility in Kuroshituji (I'll admit to entertaining the idea of Ciel and McMillan), but I reeeaaaally dislike Ciel/Sebastian, for a number of reasons, and the fanservice isn't really a selling point for me.

ladysuki1289
08-14-2012, 08:22 AM
I'm cosplaying Ciel cause he's so HOT! And ADORABLE! Anddddd, my boyfriend is going to be Sebastian and he gets to wear red contacts so he's happy, lol.

Really, Ciel has the best fashion sense EVER! ^_^

Mehdia
08-14-2012, 12:55 PM
Count me in that group. I wouldn't say I hate every BL possibility in Kuroshituji (I'll admit to entertaining the idea of Ciel and McMillan), but I reeeaaaally dislike Ciel/Sebastian, for a number of reasons, and the fanservice isn't really a selling point for me.

So my friends and I aren't the only ones put off by Ciel/Sebastian! It's just creepy to me. I'm so glad I'm not the only one out there.

Animebananas
08-14-2012, 02:30 PM
Trust me, I hate Black Butler yaoi too. It's disturbing, and I mean, Sebastian doesn't really care about Ciel anyways, he's just bound to the contract. The fanservice just kind of annoys me. Not that I like Ciel with Elizabeth either, she's too peppy and girly. Doesn't match Ciel well in my opinion.

Mehdia
08-14-2012, 07:19 PM
While I agree with the whole thing about Sebastian only caring about the contract (he just wants Ciel's soul, not Ciel), I do disagree with not liking Ciel and Lizzy. As the manga goes on, the more I really do like them together, especially after the last arc when she showed herself to be so much more than just a squeaky, girlie girl. I think she's totally good with Ciel. But the way the manga goes, I don't see much of a happy ending for anyone...except maybe Sebastian getting that soul^^

And yeah, the fanservice just has gotten old and actually keeps me FAR away from photo shoots when I'm cosplaying Madam Red because it just gets old and obnoxious after a while.

Yet Another
08-18-2012, 11:01 PM
Yeah, I only meant the comment as a joke- the BB yaoi is too...pedophiliac for me.

singleperfectio
08-19-2012, 11:01 PM
I'm gender neutral, and I cosplay 5 characters from the series (Ciel, Sebastian, Alan, Ronald and William) and Ciel is the most recent addition to the list. Personally I enjoy cosplaying him because my Fiancee is such and amazing Sebastian. She asked me to be Ciel just so she could take care of me. As for why we cosplay Kuroshitsuji - its because its fun. We have a hobby we like to share, and the challenge of creating the extravagant costumes was too much to turn down.

danielvutran
08-24-2012, 12:26 PM
thx for all the answers! ^_^v

sleeplessknight
09-21-2012, 03:24 AM
He's a pipsqueak. Guys generally think they're too tall to cosplay him. At least that's what most of my guy friends tell me when I ask them about it.

Akaya
11-08-2012, 08:31 PM
As a girl I'm still not certain exactly why I've decided to cosplay as Ciel. I'm too tall (5'7") and I have a feminine figure I'll have to figure out how to make look boyish.
And I think part of the problem with men cosplaying Ciel and Sebastian is how skinny the characters are, I'm dragging my brother along with me as Sebastian, and my brother is so much stockier and muscled than Sebastian, with a more square face... but at the very least he's taller than me (he's 6'1") which will help me look smaller. So I'm excited anyways.

JoeyDee
12-05-2012, 08:32 PM
So much adorable outfits!Due to his body type,hard for man to cosplay:P

vamp
05-01-2013, 02:55 AM
I have seen the same thing and I just got into the anime because my ex girlfriend told me about it and I think its a good anime. so I have thought about trying to cosplay ciel my self mostly because I thought well im a guy, im short lol, and I like the anime, I think the women I have seen cosplay ciel do it vary well, and because I don't see many men cosplay him I am hoping I stand out a little, but yeah this is going to be my cosplay for next year if I can get what I need, not sure where to start really.

Mehdia
05-01-2013, 05:43 PM
@vamp: Your best place to start is to settle on what costume you want to do. Then once you have that, if you can make your own costume, you had better plan a budget! Kuroshitsuji costumes get expensive fast, be it you making it or commissioning it. If you decide to commission, budget for that too because you will want a quality costume from a good commissioner. I think the lowest I've charged for a detailed Ciel costume was $250, and that was a tight one. Also, give yourself plenty of time. Because of the amount of detail in the costumes, they can't be thrown together super fast and look as nice as they should.

LittleLadyLizzy
01-16-2014, 07:40 PM
Although I am primarily a Lizzy cosplayer, Ciel is a very very very close second to cosplay for me. He's alot of fun, and his character is a challenge especially for someone with a bubbly personality like me :) Plus, he is open to so many intepretations, very few Ciels look alike!

Girls usually tend to pull off young boys more convincingly since we are usually smaller built, shorter, and have more youthful faces (though of course this is not ALL Ciel cosplayers). I happen to know a very good Ciel cosplayer who is a guy, 5'6 and about 22!

But yeah, i think more girls cosplay him because he is definitely very feminine looking and sounding, plus he's alot of fun!

Dark_Chocolate1
01-26-2014, 08:13 PM
Because A.Most boys wouldnt dare show up anomywhere wearing a frilly suit. They would rather wear something else.
B. The average age of people at conventions is around 16 and most boys look too old to do it. But not some girls. He makes a great character to cosplay if ur a small girl(like me)

sayaka magica
04-14-2014, 12:34 PM
I think Ciel is adorable so it's better for girls to cosplay him...because he has kind of a girlish face.
I could cosplay Ciel if I wanted to (but I'd have to wear pants and not shorts) but I choose not to. But I'm close to his height, just 1 and a half inches taller.
I'm so short.