PDA

View Full Version : Severe Weather

Yui
04-19-2011, 07:39 PM
Seriously, every time I come to visit southern Illinois / Missouri, there is a Tornado Watch. Every time without fail. O_o

Also, I think building houses (especially in the middle of the US) that don't have basements should be illegal. I could never function without one for various reasons, the first of which is to avoid storms.

So...I'm just going to sit around and post nonsensically on the forums, trying not to be tense or to think too heavily about how there is no safe shelter anywhere here.

The Hag
04-19-2011, 07:43 PM
Eeeee. Yeah, I lived in MO for 6 years and it can get scary. Stay safe.

But - if your house does get whirled away by a tornado, when you land be sure and grab the red shoes. Oh, and watch out for that green chick.

Yui
04-19-2011, 07:55 PM
XD I'm running out of tasks to distract myself with. ^_^;

Massive lightning is going down right now, and the huge hail will be hitting in about 20 minutes. I think I might be unplugging my computer about now actually...

Kildread
04-19-2011, 08:03 PM
One of the lucky things about Québec is that we don't get such severe weather.

Big boatloads of snow once in a blue moon, but stuff is pretty mild otherwise. The only tornadoes I've ever seen were on TV.

Stay safe!

DireKitty
04-19-2011, 08:39 PM
OKAY

SO... I always wondered that... like why they don't have basements.... because.... like I live in a place with REALLY high bedrock... and we still have a basement... they just blasted into the rock.

I heard there was some poisonous gas that was in the ground in that area as well.

IN FACT... why do people live in those areas at all? Same with Florida and those hurricanes.... and New Orleans and it being a floodplane....

/boggle.

Angathol
04-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Only reason I remember anything about Tornado Alley is because I watched Twister at least 40 times since I was like... six.

Pretty sure that movie taught me to swear.

Anyway, I digress. Hang in there!

nannyogg
04-19-2011, 09:44 PM
Seriously, every time I come to visit southern Illinois / Missouri, there is a Tornado Watch. Every time without fail. O_o

Also, I think building houses (especially in the middle of the US) that don't have basements should be illegal. I could never function without one for various reasons, the first of which is to avoid storms.

So...I'm just going to sit around and post nonsensically on the forums, trying not to be tense or to think too heavily about how there is no safe shelter anywhere here.

Are you getting any of the system out there? They keep saying we'll get some here (southeast KS), but so far, only dark skies and dropped temperature.

Most of the houses here don't have basements because the water table is so high. Most basements here are dank affairs, full of mildew, snakes, and spiders. Ewww. And they aren't always that safe. In 2003, we got an F3 that went on the ground for about 26 miles (went north and around my town). I got to ride around with the sheriff afterward, checking on people and letting them know that mental health services are available if they needed to talk. One man had been in the field when it came through and lay in the bar ditch, and was fine. His house, however, collapsed into the basement. That was when I decided what the heck; I'll seek shelter if the sirens go off (our backyard neighbors have told us we can come in into theirs if need be), but otherwise, I refuse to freak out- what's gonna be is gonna be.

nannyogg
04-19-2011, 09:51 PM
I heard there was some poisonous gas that was in the ground in that area as well.

IN FACT... why do people live in those areas at all? Same with Florida and those hurricanes.... and New Orleans and it being a floodplane....

Yes, that is true- there is a tremendous amount of natural gas around here... some of the cities (unfortunately, not the one I'm in) even have enough that all residents can tap into it at no charge for their utilities, other than an access charge.

No matter where you live, there seems to be the risk of some sort of weather catastrophe; tornadoes don't freak me out near as much as earthquakes, since at least you have a clue a storm system is coming. Being in an earthquake that was big enough that the ground rolled like waves really freaked me out.

DireKitty
04-19-2011, 10:26 PM
Yes, that is true- there is a tremendous amount of natural gas around here... some of the cities (unfortunately, not the one I'm in) even have enough that all residents can tap into it at no charge for their utilities, other than an access charge.

No matter where you live, there seems to be the risk of some sort of weather catastrophe; tornadoes don't freak me out near as much as earthquakes, since at least you have a clue a storm system is coming. Being in an earthquake that was big enough that the ground rolled like waves really freaked me out.

Canada as a whole is pretty weather catastrophe free... =)

Aearon
04-19-2011, 10:30 PM
Just hope you don't get an F6 like the one that hit the town next to my hometown. Anyone heard of Greensburg, KS? lol It pretty much wiped out the entire town, leaving maybe 1/10 of the buildings standing.

BraveKnight
04-19-2011, 10:42 PM
I live in a valley here in the good old Virginia... weather is pretty tame although every once in awhile we have a "blizzard" which pretty much equals regular snowfall to like Chicago lol

nannyogg
04-19-2011, 10:45 PM
Canada as a whole is pretty weather catastrophe free... =)

What about mounds and mounds of snow? That is catastrophic to me.

rubyspitfire
04-20-2011, 04:54 AM
i remember greensburg. that was the same year that one came through about 5 miles south of my town and killed around 10 people (rural community with no siren, middle of the night, they lived in trailers)

i don't have a basement, but my mom does, and if the sirens are going off i doubt any police are going to write me a speeding ticket. i generally keep an eye on things like weather radar and the sky in general, and if it looks like it's going to get nasty i head over there early. her couch is comfy and she doesn't mind if i camp out just in case

Tigress
04-20-2011, 05:24 AM
There were tornadoes all over NC this weekend and one went through the town I live in. The storm woke me up and I heard the sound of one trying to form. I sleepily wondered if I should grab the cats and hide in the bathroom, but I reasoned that since I live in a crappy trailer, I was just as safe in bed as I was in the bathroom. XD

I've been through a few tornadoes, (I think) 3 or 4 hurricanes and a flood. My childhood was... interesting, to say the least. >^_^<

rubyspitfire
04-20-2011, 05:46 AM
yeah... unfortunately the safest place in a trailer during a tornado is outside

Jia Jem
04-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Where is your giant Transformer to go up against the tornado / act as a giant lightning rod NOW, Yui.

WHERE.