PDA

View Full Version : Alois Trancy Kimono Sleeves

Cloudsofsand
04-19-2011, 07:57 PM
Hello, I really want to Cosplay Alois Trancy from Kuroshitsuji II as his kimono version..however all the price quotes I am getting are like $200 which is not acceptable to me. I have made a kimono before and it's not difficult nor does it cost that much..so I decided to make it myself but I am not sure how to do the sleeves (which is why I was going to get it commissioned in the first place)
Reference:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2853327/

Its a butterfly and spider web on both sleeves but I am at a loss on how to do it.

Aer
04-19-2011, 09:03 PM
I think thats a completely acceptable price as you not only have to factor in material cost but also labor.

But to do the designs I would paint them on...or if you want to use fabric for the larger shapes like the butterflies you could just iron them on using Heat n Bond.

Kelley
04-20-2011, 01:34 AM
$200 is completely fair. If I were doing it... why would I want to charge less for a skilled craft than I could make flipping burgers ? Not to mention, if the commissioner cares about decent material - you could blow $200 on the fabric alone.

You could applique, you could embroider, you could paint.

MillieBerry
04-20-2011, 06:12 AM
i think you could just use fabric paint to draw it in, you could sketch it out with a pencil then carefully with a small brush paint it, or you could make a stencil and then paint or spray paint over that

MillieBerry
04-20-2011, 06:15 AM
as for the price i can see why ppl would charge that but if your like me and would never pay over 100 for a costume it would be cheaper to buy the kimono already made in a cheap asian store and make any adjustments yourself, or just do everything yourself really, just be on the lookout for cheap fabric or coupons

Battousai-nii
04-21-2011, 01:39 PM
Yeah, sounds like a decent price given the cost of the fabric and lining, then the detailing on the sleeves.

Sarcasm-hime
04-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Making things yourself is always going to be cheaper than having someone else do it, because you don't have to pay yourself for your time. A lot of people forget that; we all want stuff cheaper, but costumers should make at least minimum wage for their time.

Jacquard fabric paints are great; just practice on scrap fabric until you feel comfortable working with the paint.

Strawberry Ciel
04-23-2011, 12:44 AM
Mine is being made for 150.