PDA

View Full Version : Blood Test Tomorrow

tehkukikookie
04-20-2011, 12:33 AM
I have to get a blood test tomorrow and I'm sososo scared! I've been panicking for a week now since I scheduled it and it's just getting worse, derp. ><

How do you get through blood tests, Coscom?

noctiluca
04-20-2011, 12:43 AM
My veins collapse and I pass out. Seriously. Every single time. I have no idea what's wrong, because I don't have a fear of needles anymore (not after getting a honking huge IV poked in me multiple times), but I can only have blood tests done lying down, otherwise it's dangerous.

Ask for them to use the smallest needle, and lay down if you're really nervous.

BraveKnight
04-20-2011, 12:48 AM
I used to give blood pretty regularly... so I'm not that put off by giving blood... I usually bring some DVDs to watch when I give Platelets. /shrug I wish I had more advice to give. Are you just worried about how its done or are you worried about results?

Rinoa07
04-20-2011, 12:50 AM
I have very tiny veins, so when they're trying to draw blood, they always miss. They end up having to use what they call "butterfly needles" on me. Those are the children's needles or the ones they use on babies @_@ If I look away, it hurts less, but I remember watching them fill up the tubes one time when I was very sick and it looked so interesting, watching the red fill up the tube. All most surreal.

Unless, of course, you're concerned about the results? "Que sera, sera. whatever will be, will be. The future's not ours to see. Que sera, sera." Everything will be okay in the end, don't worry.

Mi Feng
04-20-2011, 12:58 AM
I have major anxiety over blood test and I still have to be sedated. >_>
Just think positive reinforcing thoughts like "I can do this." or "People have been drawing blood for many years." or even "This will pass soon."
Look away, bring a friend who's hand you can squeeze, and BREATHE! ^_^
If you absolutely cannot do it just tell them and I'm sure they can accommodate you. :D

Good Luck!

UsakoLuna
04-20-2011, 01:00 AM
My veins roll and are narrow, so its never fun, even with a butterfly needle. I cant watch either, I've never fainted but I've come close enough that they made me sit in the waiting room for 20 minutes with some oj - I just looked and saw the blood going from my arm into the vial, and the tech told me I lost all color in my face and I felt the room tilt.
(I'm anemic, so I get blood tests every so often to check my iron)

Oddly enough, I can watch others get blood drawn with no problem, I think it's kind of cool as long as it's not my own.

tehkukikookie
04-20-2011, 01:03 AM
I used to give blood pretty regularly... so I'm not that put off by giving blood... I usually bring some DVDs to watch when I give Platelets. /shrug I wish I had more advice to give. Are you just worried about how its done or are you worried about results?
It's the actual test that's giving me the heeby jeebies Dx I don't think it's the pain that's getting me, but the idea of my blood being sucked out. I've had a few blood tests and, honestly, all of them involved be being restrained because of my severe dear of needles. I'm planning on taking my mp3 or maybe some sleep meds right before so I can be somewhat calm (yes that's a horrid idea).

Mi Feng
04-20-2011, 01:07 AM
maybe some sleep meds right before so I can be somewhat calm
Taking something to keep you calm is fine but you might want to tell whoever is taking your blood in case you have to fast. The meds might affect your results. :/

noctiluca
04-20-2011, 01:19 AM
Oh yeah, another thing, it might be a good idea to also tell them how nervous you are. It isn't that rare to hate needles (it's rare for someone to LIKE them). Hopefully the nurse will be cool and chat with you to keep you distracted, along with using the smallest needle and lying down.

I really stress this... if the feeling/thought of blood draining is a lot more sickening than the pain of a needle, LAY DOWN. You might end up like me. One time I got through blood test listening to music and I was fine, and then I collapsed in the parking lot minutes later. I don't want to scare you more or anything, but if you lay down you won't feel nearly as bad during and after. You don't get the "draining" feeling.

Speaking of being restrained, when I was 7 I tucked my arms into my shirt in protest and the only way I let them poke me was after my mom bribed me into giving in. 3 nurses and a doctor couldn't budge me. Good times.

SeleneHino
04-20-2011, 01:29 AM
I'm anemic and it's hard to find my vines so they use a butterfly needle on me all the time. Last they take blood from me they had to cut my arm to find it (getting my wrist fixed)
They make me sit down for a few minutes before letting me go. I get hurt a lot when I play soccer so I'm fine being around blood. All I can say that helps me is think of what your next cosplay going to be or what your need to do on your cosplay your working on

Ragtime Mouth
04-20-2011, 05:57 AM
You could tell them you hate them, or just request a butterfly needle and stay quiet. That way they don't hesitate and it's over quicker.

Oddly enough, I like blood tests (not the actual results though), though I've grown up around a hospital as my mom has always worked in them. It's interesting to see for me. I had mine taken recently, the needle was large, but it didn't hurt.. I cringe at the thought of red ant bites, not needles. Larger needles can get it done quicker, actually. Though, the doctor requested so much (good reasons, he's not a quack:p) that I was loopy for the rest of the day... I doubt you'll be having to deal with the amount I did, either way the music idea sounds nice. Maybe some Nyah cat music. ;p

Seraphy
04-20-2011, 09:19 AM
If you're bringing your MP3 player, maybe close your eyes and try to focus on a part of the song or a certain instrument.

I don't have many issues with bloodwork nowadays. Though, when I was a kid, I kicked a doctor in the stomach trying to get her to stay away.

Arc_The_Lad
04-20-2011, 09:37 AM
I don't like blood test purely because I hate it when things are taken from my body. I get angrier the more blood they take.

Want my kidney? eat shit, it's mine.

TheAnarCHris
04-20-2011, 10:29 AM
I've manned up. Now needles aren't a thing to me. COME AT ME POINTY BRO!

My wife, on the other, can rarely get a needle without physically bugging the hell out. Might be some sort of past-trauma/trigger response, which makes for the sad :(

Angathol
04-20-2011, 10:54 AM
I get blood tests and IVs done all the time. At this point I'm not that bothered by them. I just look away until they're done, although I usually make an involuntary hissing noise when they stick the needle in.

TheAnarCHris
04-20-2011, 11:05 AM
I just look away until they're done, although I usually make an involuntary hissing noise when they stick it in.

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!

/thread

Angathol
04-20-2011, 11:40 AM
THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!

/thread

I hate you.

http://i53.tinypic.com/1zvvhh4.gif

TheAnarCHris
04-20-2011, 12:07 PM
I hate you.

http://i53.tinypic.com/1zvvhh4.gif

That's.....fair :D

Aearon
04-20-2011, 12:14 PM
*Shrugs.* I'd say just try not to think about it and occupy your mind with something else.
They're generally quick and don't have any complications, so you don't really have to worry about it.

As for me, blood draws never bother me. I can't, however, donate plasma due to an issue with my nervous system making my body pass out if I lose a lot of blood / have a rapid drop in blood pressure. lol

So, as someone else said... Just lay down / recline in the chair to avoid any passing out and doubling over off of a bed or something. XD

BraveKnight
04-20-2011, 12:30 PM
LOLZ @ Angathol and Starwind

Man... that could not have been better timed ><

penny_dreadful
04-20-2011, 02:13 PM
My veins are huge and plump and the blood comes really easily, so it's a simple process for me. I've never been terribly nervous about it, though. The only part that's ever unpleasant, really, is pulling off the bandaid a few hours later. Or finger sticks. Finger sticks pinch for a second, but they're the worst of it, honestly.

I donate blood when I can, and I have several tattoos and a piercing. I haven't had all wonderful experiences-- tattoos tend to hurt pretty badly; my first piercing got infected and once it had healed I got it re-pierced, which ended in me almost fainting; the first time I donated I hadn't eaten enough beforehand so I also almost fainted. Needles and blood don't phase me at all anymore. I will say that each time I go through the process it gets easier, and I'm comfortable enough that I can watch what's being done without feeling weird.

Super helpful, I know. Just remember blood work doesn't have to be a stressful, traumatic experience. Unless you've been told to fast, I'd recommend eating a healthy meal about an hour before you go, and try to avoid caffeine or other things that will make you jittery or hyper. If it helps not to watch, don't watch. If you're the type that prefers to know exactly what's going on, don't be afraid to look: seeing your blood taken can be startling, but the whole process is most often quick, clean, controlled, and painless. You probably won't even notice it's gone.

Mangochutney
04-20-2011, 02:49 PM
It's been helpful to me to break it down into parts. There are three, really.

1. Disinfection
2. Needle stick
3. The actual blood draw.

Disinfection is not a scary thing. It smells funny but it doesn't hurt and all it does is make your skin totally hygenic. A shower is more trouble than that.

The needle stick is not a scary thing. It hurts less than jamming your little toe on something or grazing your knuckle with the cheese grater or getting shampoo in your eye.

The blood draw is not a scary thing. The blood isn't being sucked out, it's just the flow being channeled through the syrette. A nosebleed is worse.

I used to have a real problem with needles, but concentrating on the steps like this made it easier. Makes getting through each bit seem like a minor accomplishment I can be proud of.

Anmanda
04-20-2011, 04:10 PM
I have really tiny veins, they always end up using those butterfly needles as someone alredy mentioned on me too. I've never really been scared of needles or blood tests or pain in general, I'm more scared of that what if there would be something seriously wrong with me, like, cancer or something. I kind of think the blood test itself is fun to watch actually, I rarely look away xD It's... intresting to watch somehow. ^^' My mom works as a person who takes blood tests (I have no idea what the official name is) and I remember when I was a kid I sometimes got to look at my own blood cells in the microscope, it was awesome :3

penny_dreadful
04-20-2011, 04:22 PM
The needle stick is not a scary thing. It hurts less than jamming your little toe on something or grazing your knuckle with the cheese grater or getting shampoo in your eye.

The blood draw is not a scary thing. The blood isn't being sucked out, it's just the flow being channeled through the syrette. A nosebleed is worse.

This is so true! Getting actually wounded
a) hurts a lot more
b) is scarier, since there's no control over how much blood you lose, and
c) is way more dangerous for lots of reasons.

FunnyValentine
04-20-2011, 04:46 PM
Don't look.

kuroki-neko
04-20-2011, 04:50 PM
well whenever i get a bt i rub emela cream on the spot were they are going to stick the needle it numbs that spot quite well

Michi
04-20-2011, 04:55 PM
I got blood drawn a couple of months ago, and fainted for the first time in my life. Not from being scared of the needle or anything, mind, but from the combination of low blood sugar + low blood pressure. I've been told I need to be laying down next time. >>;;

Viveeh
04-20-2011, 04:59 PM
I've had it done a couple of times when they tried to find out what's wrong with my stomach. (And failed, noob Finn doctors. XD Sorry.) I first thought it'd be horrible and hurt like hell and I'd pass out, and I panicked when I saw the chair the first time, but I hardly felt anything... It feels a bit like a normal needle but not so bad. o.o

DireKitty
04-20-2011, 06:50 PM
I have to get a baby needle because my veins are thin and very prone to collapsing. They always collapse. I tend to feel really sick after and my arm feels really weak.

Doesn't really hurt... just sucks.

ShinobiXikyu
04-20-2011, 07:15 PM
I've had blood tests for various illnesses in the past (one time, four vials in one go. Oh joy.), and because I'm at high risk for hypothyroidism, I get my blood tested at east every few years or if I'm feeling suspicious that something's up.

...And honestly? I just don't look when they're giving me a needle, and I didn't even NOTICE the first time they'd stuck the needle in my arm. A few moments after they did the wipe, I said "Don't tell me when you've started". And she said "Actually, I'm almost done." I only felt anything when they pulled it out, and it was barely anything. Getting my flu shot is more uncomfortable. (I honestly never saw how some kids/people can be so ridiculously scared of needles. They really don't hurt in nearly every situation. Especially if nurses are the ones that give them, because they go FAST when theydo it. Over before you know they've started.)
Never had an IV, though. That, I'm not so fearless about. Not the needle so much as the bigass hole that gets left or needing constant ones and having to have a weird-ss catheter in one limb.

Akemi Idane
04-20-2011, 09:35 PM
Well...
I clicked on this thread because I have to get my own blood drawn soon to test to see if they can give me lithium, and I'm now lightheaded.
I'm not sure why I thought this was a good idea.

So, I need help. I am positively phobic of having anything as much as near my wrist, needles included. I've been able to request they take the needle out of my arm literally as soon as my eyes open in hospitals, since the one surgery I had was no big deal. It makes me freak just thinking about it. Is there any way I can ask them to put me under?

SaskWhovian
04-20-2011, 09:38 PM
Well, getting through bloodtests and giving blood? Easy!

I just... pass out... a lot.

Ok so I have a phobia of needles and REALLY bad viens so they usually end up having to jam the blasted things into my arms, hands, wrists.. where ever... over and over again. Ergh *shudders* Just thinking about it makes me feel sick.

Skeff
04-21-2011, 09:12 AM
I've been an insulin dependant diabetic for a little over 19 years now, needles, shots, the whole 9 yeards. Needles are pretty much nothing to me at this point. I usually have to have a blood test done every 3 to 6 months during my checkups as well.

All I can say about having blood drawn is this, everyone has a different reaction to the idea of blood being let out of the body. At this point in my life, having it done so much, I have been pretty desensitized to it.

However, there are times (not always) when I will involuntarily become very flushed during the process, not to the point of passing out, but I will sweat a lot, for apparently no reason. Its kind of funny when the nurses are all like "Oh my god, are you alright? Do you need to lay down?". After a few minutes I'm fine, but it just happens sometimes.

Other than that, its just a normal thing for me nowadays. I don't really think much of it.

msaliciak
04-21-2011, 05:15 PM
kkk

mylilpazuzu
04-21-2011, 05:47 PM
I bring a book, or something to distract myself. I'm fine as long as I don't watch them stick me.

The one time I had an IV, I think I passed out from looking at it sticking in my arm rather than the actual sedative they were giving me. Just a hunch, though. I have no empirical proof to support my assumption.

On a random note, my fiance is a nurse and he used to ask if he could use my veins for IV practice. I stopped going over to his place for a while lol.

DarkFujin
04-21-2011, 07:58 PM
Drink a lot of water beforehand.

I just had a blood test the other day, and I donate blood every chance I get. Needles really aren't that bad.

harmonyisarine
04-21-2011, 10:19 PM
Had to get my first bloodtest a week before PAX East. I've been phobic of needles for years. Knowing that this doctor visit was likely to result in being stuck and/or de-blooded, I brought a friend who had just suffered a blood clot and had 14 vials stolen. Her sarcasm and chocolates kept me (barely) conscious. "Suck it up, they're already done." <3

angel_cutie
04-22-2011, 03:52 AM
im not scared or anything about getting blood taken out of me,it's actually pretty amusing when i see the needle fill up, but i hate it cuz it hurts.
last time i got my blood drawn out, the nurse tried like 5 times before she got anything -___-
and the other thing i dont like is how my hand starts to feel really cold lool i feel coldness crawling up my arm slowly.