PDA

View Full Version : Military Steampunk?

zombie69queen
04-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Thats what i based my costume on for this years con, im literally a day away from going and all of a sudden im getting tons of negative feedback. My friend and her mother are convinced that a gas mask i plan on wearing isn't steampunk and doesn't go with the outfit at all. But i cant completely disagree with them because my outfit is black and gray, but isnt the idea of steampunk also about creating whats believable and right for you?

This is similar to how my mask looks but has a tube separating the mask and chamber

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2444/4034954596_56a3a2a224.jpg

Also i would like to know your views on post apocalyptic or war-esque steampunk.

For me personally that combining my two favorite intrests, military gear / technology and Victorian costumes and steampunk things.

Mangochutney
04-21-2011, 11:41 AM
First off, you can discard pretty much any "_______ isn't steampunk" statement. It's all in the context and presentation.

I can see their point on one thing, and only one thing: black and grey usually don't go very well with brown and olive. You will look like somebody who put on their clothes, went about their business, and then at some point was compelled to pick up whatever gas mask was lying around and put it on.

You can call that "creating what's believable and right for you", or you can call it a compromise. I prefer the latter, since it's usually more honest.

If you -wanted- to make the non-matching look more deliberate, you might introduce other elements into your outfit that suggest the kind of emergency you'd need to pick up a random non-matchy gas mask for. Dust some light yellow/green powder over your head and shoulders? (mustard-gassed) Splotches of something phosphorescent? (alien zombie goo) Fake blood? (terrible plague, zombies again) Or just do something bizarre (soap suds?) and make up an explanation, but be sure to treat both the mask AND the rest of your costume to tie them together.

EDIT: and as to thoughts on war-esque steampunk, YES PLEASE I WOULD LIKE MORE PLEASE. LIKE RIGHT NOW. Antique military uniforms are one of my very favorite things, and that kind of style makes anyone look amazing. Age, height, build, gender, all fade into irrelevance in the presence of enough braid. You might dig this blog on the subject: Eff Yeah, Men In Old Uniforms! (http://fymeninolduniforms.tumblr.com/)

zombie69queen
04-22-2011, 12:44 AM
thanks for the reply and the ideas!

I planned on having a big gun slung to my back, and carry a mini one in hand. Forgot to mention there is white in the outfit too and a small bit of silver. Also carrying a army medical bag (to carry my things in lol) just so happen to fit with the idea.

I wish i could get some blood on me but im covered head to toe, with my hands showing but i might put some lace around one with some fake blood on it. Sadly im not allowed to do more to the jacket because its being re used later.
Ill post some pics of the finished result, and YAY someone else who fancies military things! and loved the link <3

SorcererSupreme
04-22-2011, 05:45 AM
Many of my current costumes are uniforms of some kind ^_^ I honestly think some of the props people make for Steampunk costumes would look better with a uniform.

Leadmill
04-29-2011, 07:00 PM
Anything like this?
http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu67/death-may-die/Kita%203%20for%20Leadmill/DSC_0388.jpg

rubyspitfire
05-03-2011, 01:30 AM
swap out black belts and straps for brown, wear brown boots, carry a brown bag or pouches... or maybe make a whole new outfit in earth tones to go along with the mask and keep the black as a dress uniform

Volnixshin
05-19-2011, 01:36 PM
Steampunk is what YOU make it. People are always spouting off that Steampunk can be any different timeline or dimension, so that opens up steampunk to be almost anything you want it to be given the aesthetic.

I mean seriously, my steampunk/dieselpunk character is an Irish Ninja working for the Vatican in 1930's Venice with a deadpool personality and a utility belt full of "get drunk and recover" tools and items.

Seriously, don't let them tell you you're not steampunk