PDA

View Full Version : Similar Food & Beverage Conundrum: Likes/Dislikes

KnightShade007
04-24-2011, 01:40 PM
Ohhhhh how should I put this. It's basically when someone is extremely picky about certain foods and drinks to the point that it's quite absurd.

For instance...

Is it just me or am I the only one who loves green/yellow apples, but I can't stand red apples? Dunno...they're just not juicy enough.

Another example...

I am completely and utterly smitten with sweet potato pie, and yet I hate candy yams.

Finally...

I'll drink pineapple juices and sodas, but refuse to put actual pineapples near my taste buds.

------------------------
You guys go through this too right?

Mangochutney
04-24-2011, 01:55 PM
Lettuce: DELICIOUS ALL THE TIME.

Iceberg lettuce: OMG EVIL MEGAFARM-INDUSTRY MONOCULTURE SPAWN, TASTES BAD

(I mean I know it barely tastes like anything. I know this. And you cannot make a wedge salad out of red leaf lettuce. Still, iceberg lettuce grosses me right out.)

MermaidRizu
04-24-2011, 01:57 PM
I'll eat pretty much any cupcake, but not cake (aside from maybe a rich chocolate one, or an ice cream cake). I think they're pretty much the same thing, but for some reason I just don't like cake... I still have no idea why. XD

KnightShade007
04-24-2011, 02:03 PM

(I mean I know it barely tastes like anything. I know this. And you cannot make a wedge salad out of red leaf lettuce. Still, iceberg lettuce grosses me right out.)

I know exactly where you're coming from. I fail though because I discovered just recently that iceberg lettuce isn't healthy in the least. Now, I just get romaine lettuce.

Akiyhrah
04-24-2011, 02:06 PM
I love cheese, and things like grilled cheese, nachos, etc. But I HATE cheese sauces (for veggies and such). I have no idea why.

toshirua3846384
04-24-2011, 02:12 PM
I really do despise homemade cookies and cakes and pastries; however i love them store bought and factory made ( O x O)......i dunno i just can't stand a homemade dessert

well except for Jello's no bake cheese cake.

The Hag
04-24-2011, 02:33 PM
Is it just me or am I the only one who loves green/yellow apples, but I can't stand red apples?

This.

Also this.

I'll drink pineapple juices and sodas, but refuse to put actual pineapples near my taste buds.

Opposite of this. I love pineapple (about to slice one up to have with dinner) but the juices and soda always seem too sweet.

Eggs - hard boiled, fried all the way through, scrambled dry? <3<3<3
Eggs - soft-boiled or runny? http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h272/agentell/icon_oak.gif

x-Steffi-x
04-24-2011, 02:37 PM
I will eat tomato ketchup, but I will refuse to eat pure tomatoes.

I LOVE chocolate, but I dislike chocolate in the form of ice-cream and milkshake - tastes like crap.

KnightShade007
04-24-2011, 02:45 PM

I LOVE chocolate, but I dislike chocolate in the form of ice-cream and milkshake - tastes like crap. Lets see...I can't stand it when there is the following on chocolate:

- Any kind of custard filling is grotesque. Period.
- Putting fruit on chocolate (except strawberries) is a crime.

Any other other chocolate is okay. I don't think I missed anything.

Tealeafy
04-24-2011, 02:54 PM
I will not eat cheese by itself or on a sandwich (excluding burgers). It makes me gag.
However, when placed on a taco, a pizza, a burger, a hot dog, a salad, or nachos, it is fabulously delicious!

Arc_The_Lad
04-24-2011, 04:26 PM
I'll eat a number of vegetables raw but once they are cooked in any way other than steamed I won't touch them.

doxiequeen1
04-24-2011, 05:04 PM
I will not each cheese by itself or on a sandwich (excluding burgers). It makes me gag.
However, when placed on a taco, a pizza, a burger, a hot dog, a salad, or nachos, it is fabulously delicious!
This, so hard.

Others:

I LOVE red apples, but Green ones are just so bitter and hard. I don't like them at all.

Ketchup is amazing, but actual tomatoes are the most disgusting thing I have ever tasted.

I love raw onions, I will eat them like apples, but I despise them once you cook/grill them.

Carrots are disgusting unless they are eaten with salad dressing.

Their are a bunch of others I might post later.

Kyomi
04-24-2011, 05:41 PM
Flat leaf parsley is fine, but I can't stand the flavour of cilantro.

I prefer cooked carrots to raw, unless there's dip. Same with celery. But might be because of the way they're usually cooked.

Chocolate milk and/or strawberry milk (or both mixed together!) is great, but not plain milk.

The best type of soymilk is Vitasoy. I will not drink any other.

Ketchup is too vinegary for my taste. On that note, same with vegetable cocktails, excluding V8. Ripe tomatoes are delicious. But they're hard to find. The ones at the supermarket are usually sour or taste like absolutely nothing.

x-Steffi-x
04-24-2011, 05:45 PM
Oh, oh, I thought of another two:

I absolutely despise Marmite, yet they taste fine in crisp form (Walker's crisps). I also love twiglets, which are Marmite flavoured.

Same with beef, absolutely hate the texture and taste to it, yet beef flavoured crisps to me, taste different and nicer than the actual meat.

DireKitty
04-24-2011, 06:54 PM
I really do despise homemade cookies and cakes and pastries; however i love them store bought and factory made ( O x O)......i dunno i just can't stand a homemade dessert

If you were to reject my baked goods, I would kill you and grind you up for taco meat.

Akiyhrah
04-24-2011, 07:02 PM

I'm the opposite. I rarely eat store bot pastries and such, but if you put a plate of homemade cookies or something in front of me, I'll probably eat the whole thing XD

Chaletica
04-24-2011, 07:08 PM
Well, I like strawberries, but hate strawberry yoghurt. I don't like strawberry jam much either, but I will eat it if there's nothing else.

I also hate most store-bought/fastfood hamburgers. My dad's homemade cheeseburgers, however... omnomnom~

Also: Pineapples by themselves? Yummy. In dinner, or in any food except desserts? No thanks. Likewise, raisins are only good when not in anything else.

Seraphy
04-24-2011, 07:22 PM
I love raw onions, I will eat them like apples, but I despise them once you cook/grill them.

Carrots are disgusting unless they are eaten with salad dressing.

This.

I also love apples, but I cannot stand apple sauce or apple pie.

Tealeafy
04-24-2011, 07:59 PM
Flat leaf parsley is fine, but I can't stand the flavour of cilantro.
Ugh... cilantro... :angry:

toshirua3846384
04-25-2011, 01:02 PM
If you were to reject my baked goods, I would kill you and grind you up for taco meat.

Then i shall die *eating chips a hoy cookies * <damn these are good, not unless you can whip up a oreo or chip a hoy cookie im not touching jack diddly.

toshirua3846384
04-25-2011, 02:56 PM
I'm the opposite. I rarely eat store bot pastries and such, but if you put a plate of homemade cookies or something in front of me, I'll probably eat the whole thing XD

The problem i have with homemade cookies are that most of the time i hate the texture of it, i just can't stand soft cookies, thats why im one for oreos and other cookies like that.

mihoyonagi
04-25-2011, 10:40 PM
Love the taste of yogurt, but can't eat it without granola in it. It's totally a texture thing.

Adore tomato soup, salsa, and tomato-based sauces, but can't eat raw tomatoes.

Bacon. Oh, I'm such a weenie when it comes to saying no to bacon. I'm big on cured meats, too, like salami and prosciutto.

And cucumbers. I love cucumbers with Italian dressing.

Darn it, now I'm hungry!

JiseiHakushaku
04-25-2011, 11:35 PM
I love love love red cabbage and lettuce.

I hate hate hate cabbage and lettuce.

What else? Hmm... I love Oreos, but keep that double-stuf shit to yourself. I only like Mott's brand applesauce/apple juice. I also only like Vlasic brand pickles...

Lithium Flower
04-25-2011, 11:40 PM
I don't MIND iceberg lettuce, but I prefer romaine over anything.

Tomatoes. I love tomatoes on my sammiches and in salads and occasionally on their own. But I HATE ketchup and tomato soup. I don't even really like tomato sauce on pasta, I'd rather have Alfredo or butter, or make something like stir fry noodles. I don't MIND the sauce but I'd choose a lot of things over it.

I will not touch mustard,ketchup, or mayo. In ANYTHING. I hate it. Even touching a bottle of those things makes me gag. If I go to a fast food place and the wrapper has any kind of sauce on it, I wont touch it xD I have to use a napkin to unwrap it and put it on something else to eat.

Sushi. I love sushi. Crab. Salmon on top of a california roll. smelt roe. Even eel is pretty good.

But I dislike fish on its own. My mother used to make salmon fillet and it was just...bland and empty souled. Fish needs rice, nori, and avocado to be whole xD

rubyspitfire
04-26-2011, 12:48 AM
Fish needs rice, nori, and avocado to be whole xD

i love fish by itself (especially salmon, as in steak and salmon with mashed potatoes and green beans or corn), but AMEN TO THAT

things i love but can't eat:
strawberries
cherries
certain melons
tomatoes
avacado
oranges (or any citrus really)
peaches

i'm mildly allergic to these things. they make my mouth and throat itch and give me the worst case of heartburn if i eat too much of them. some of it i can understand, like the berries and citrus and tomatoes; they're highly acidic. but watermelon?? someone suggested that i might have oral allergy syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_allergy_syndrome), since i'm highly allergic to various pollens

Slayer Alex
04-26-2011, 01:21 AM
hate raw onions! = /

But when its inside a ring, or sauteed. yummers!

SaskWhovian
04-26-2011, 04:29 AM
Carrots raw = delicious. Carrots cooked? EEeccccccck! No. Just.... no. Nooooo. No.

And as one Slayer Alex said... raw onions are gross but sauteed = delicious.

UsakoLuna
04-26-2011, 05:13 AM
Love tomatoes. Tomato sauce and ketchup can die for all I care.

SaskWhovian
04-26-2011, 05:45 AM
Love tomatoes. Tomato sauce and ketchup can die for all I care.

I was the same when I was younger. Loved tomatoes, but not so much ketchup. I remember I used to sit with my grandparents eating tomatoes like they were apples.

These days? Opposite. Tastes change I guess.

Lithium Flower
04-26-2011, 11:11 AM
on the onions debate:
Raw red onions are good on cheeseburgers, salads, and some sandwiches.

But alone. Just hanging out on a plate. Being all onions and stuff. No.

Cooked onions go into my stir fry. Green onions go on top too.
OM NOM NOM NOM

Arc_The_Lad
04-26-2011, 11:41 AM
Onions are just not good at all, and I'm going to be making them extinct so enjoy them while you can.

Pocketfightr
04-26-2011, 11:50 AM
I'm all about the ketchup and red sauces on pasta but won't eat tomatoes (and avoid salsa with large chunks in it).

I'm also really bad about liking artificial fruit flavoring over the real thing. (Real watermelons are so flavorless compared to the Jolly Ranchers... I'm bad, I know.)

alpha_helix
04-26-2011, 11:57 AM
I LOVE Granny Smith apples, but won't touch any other variety.

I LOVE raw or cured fish, but cooked fish is icky.

I LOVE blue, rare, or even raw steak, but anything cooked over medium rare will make me gag.

I LOVE raw carrots and spinach, but I think cooking them takes all the life out of them.

I LOVE diet coke, but regular is gross because it's so damn syrupy.

DireKitty
04-26-2011, 12:01 PM
The problem i have with homemade cookies are that most of the time i hate the texture of it, i just can't stand soft cookies, thats why im one for oreos and other cookies like that.

WTF WHO MAKES SOFT COOKIES?

I mean... i *can* make soft cookies, but I never do.

I also often make great muffins, yummy bread (banana etc.) and pie.

Next up: These. (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/tea-cakes-with-earl-grey-icing-recipe/index.html)

Lithium Flower
04-26-2011, 12:03 PM
..I like soft cookies....

Diet soda is sin it tastes of spelenda and orphan tears.

Pocketfightr
04-26-2011, 12:48 PM
I love soft cookies. T_T I like that they're not all messy/crumbly all over the place like the regular Chips Ahoy. I make some awesome cake-mix cookies with alcohol in them.

alpha_helix
04-26-2011, 04:29 PM
..I like soft cookies....

Diet soda is sin it tastes of spelenda and orphan tears.

That's why I like it!

Lithium Flower
04-26-2011, 04:45 PM
That's why I like it!

I prefer my soda to taste like angel tears and unicorn farts.

SaskWhovian
04-27-2011, 07:24 PM
Ok, I hate hate HATE liquorice (the black kind, not the red. The kind actually made with liquorice root). The taste is just disgusting. But I like Rootbeer and Glycyrrhiza glabra (The liquorice root) is one of the main ingredients. Possibly it is all that other junk they add in that makes it bearable.

sweetnsassy
04-27-2011, 07:39 PM
I love chocolate mints (like Andes (http://www.tootsie.com/andes_land.php)) but only when it's actual chocolate. Those hard candy chocolate mints make me gag. Do not want.

toshirua3846384
04-27-2011, 09:43 PM
WTF WHO MAKES SOFT COOKIES?

I mean... i *can* make soft cookies, but I never do.

I also often make great muffins, yummy bread (banana etc.) and pie.

Next up: These. (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/tea-cakes-with-earl-grey-icing-recipe/index.html)

Lol the people responsible for the "soft cookie crisis" are grandmothers and betty e"ffin crocker, those bastards ( > x <")

Ooooo but i love love love pie; especially cheery, spiced apple, blueberry, and raspberry/cranberry pies. Banana bread if fine provide i have three large glasses of choco milk or raspberry pop. I don't like muffins though, they make my tongue and throat itchy and irritable beyond all belief.

I like tea cakes however they MUST have black berry jam or Strawberry jam on them; and when i mean on i mean completely smeared.

toshirua3846384
04-27-2011, 09:47 PM
i have another one about pancakes; i prefer to eat pancakes that have a light golden brown crust on them; i hate it when they are spongey and squishie to eat.

Miyabi-
04-28-2011, 12:22 AM
hate raw onions! = /
But when its inside a ring, or sauteed. yummers!

Ditto! I'm the same way with broccoli..raw broccoli is so gross. I also have the opposite thing when it comes to carrots..I hate them cooked but love them raw.

Also...I don't like mashed potatoes. (*waits for the gasps or "you're crazy" comments*) It's not a flavor thing..it's a texture issue. They're so mushy yet also grainy at the same time..blech!

ShinobiXikyu
04-28-2011, 12:35 AM
Try mashed potatoes with more than just potato. My dad, and now me, always add scallions, cottage cheese, sour cream, butter, a bit of milk and bacon bits (and sometimes cream cheese) into ours. Gives them a tad more substance and the taste is to die for. ^^

...uh, for similar food things? Generally I find I can't stand anything with a mushy texture that I don't have to chew at all. Love apples, hate applesauce. Love yogurt with granola or crushed cookies/graham crackers, hate it on its own. Etcetera.
oh yeah, and I love orange flavoured things, orange juice, etcetera, but Icannot STAND eating actual oranges. They just disgust me endlessly. They're stringy with those gross white bits, and pulpy and sticky and make a mess, and just, ugh.

Chaletica
04-28-2011, 02:55 AM
I love regular soda, but hate diet. Plus, diet soda is like awesomesauce without all the awesome... which makes it just sauce. So pointless.

Lithium Flower
04-28-2011, 02:59 PM
I love baked taters with green onions and butter and bacon bits <3

Akemi Idane
04-29-2011, 08:22 PM
Eggs - hard boiled, fried all the way through, scrambled dry? <3<3<3
Eggs - soft-boiled or runny? http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h272/agentell/icon_oak.gif
I'M NOT ALONE!
God I can't stand runny eggs. Ew ew ew ew ew.

Fun fact - I can't stand anything relatively gelatinous or 'airy' in nature. No creams, no jello, nothing that even remotely imitates that because it makes me sick.
But hardened versions of these things I usually can eat and actually enjoy. Stuff that people says has the same flavor I'll love to death, I literally can't stand things based on texture alone.

I can only eat yellow apples. I'm a freak. 8D

(But this is the girl that thinks tin is delicious. So take my opinions with a grain of salt.)

ShinobiXikyu
04-29-2011, 09:28 PM
Me either for eggs. I hate my eggs runny. My fried eggs are always fried rock-hard. But I find the undercooked egg white itself grosses me out more than runny yolk.