PDA

View Full Version : Hibari's Tonfas...

alliaxandromeda
04-26-2011, 02:33 PM
A friend of a friend made a pair for me:

http://alliaxandromeda.deviantart.com/art/Hibari-Kyoya-s-Tonfa-WIP-206502079

But I was wondering what the best way to make them look like Hibari's tonfas would be?

Eigwayne
04-26-2011, 07:19 PM
A coat of grey or silver paint is a good start. Hibari's have black grips, so you could either paint that on (the easiest route, probably), or wrap it with something. I would suggest grip tape like for tennis rackets over random fabric wrapping, so it stays nicely.

alliaxandromeda
04-27-2011, 01:16 PM
Wouldn't paint chip off though?

Eigwayne
04-28-2011, 12:44 AM
Wouldn't paint chip off though?

Your tonfa look like they're made of wood. Nothing but paint will make wood silver-colored (well, oak ages to a grey color, but only oak as far as I know, and do you really want to leave your tonfa out-of-doors and under the elements long enough for that, if they even are the right type of wood?). The paint may chip if you are using the tonfa roughly, like hitting things with them, and that behavior is generally frowned upon at events. Actually, it will get you kicked out. Don't do it.

Use a paint that is meant for wood, since the base is wood. You can use a lacquer or glaze or varnish of some sort over that to protect it.

The people at the paint counter in Lowe's or Home Depot can even recommend the best materials for the job. For instance, they told me not to even bother with lacquer when I picked out a spraypaint for making Mukuro's trident, because the spraypaint has binding agents included in the paint already.

alliaxandromeda
04-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Use a paint that is meant for wood, since the base is wood. You can use a lacquer or glaze or varnish of some sort over that to protect it.

The people at the paint counter in Lowe's or Home Depot can even recommend the best materials for the job. For instance, they told me not to even bother with lacquer when I picked out a spraypaint for making Mukuro's trident, because the spraypaint has binding agents included in the paint already.

So I should look for a silver spraypaint for wood, or something?

I feel kind of stupid, because my friend and I initially considered grey tape or something similar ==

Eigwayne
04-29-2011, 01:29 AM
It doesn't even have to be spraypaint; I just find spraypaint easier for plastics (my trident was made of PVC pipe and resin coating). Just peruse the paint department and find something the right color. If it says it's for wood, great. Exterior paint is formulated to be tough, too. Don't be afraid to ask questions of store employees.

alliaxandromeda
05-01-2011, 04:02 PM
One problem may be that there is an age limit to purchase spray paint. I was thinking of getting some silver duct tape maybe instead?

CosplayCinema
05-01-2011, 04:25 PM
just have someone buy it for you XD

when i was younger i walked up to some random guy and asked if i gave him the money could he get the paint for me. I gave him the money and waited near the door and he gave me the paint and my change and i went on my marry own way.

Eigwayne
05-01-2011, 09:06 PM
It doesn't have to be spray paint.

You can use paint in a regular can or bottle too, and brush it on.

alliaxandromeda
05-03-2011, 07:48 AM
My budget is running pretty low at this point, and spray paint is a little bit expensive at the moment. Would silver acrylic paint work? I've only used it on a prop once; on a bamboo bow, and it survived the entire convention with barely noticeable chips on the bottom where it had occasionally impacted on the floor as I walked.

Darkdreamyr
05-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Depends on the paint, as some say silver but are just a light grey and not metallic at all. I ended up with 4 different shades of "silver" to find one that was actually metallic looking.

Krystia
05-28-2011, 06:48 PM
Acrylic paint should be no problem since acrylic is pretty permanent. If you cant get it off your clothes then its not gonna come off wood xD