PDA

View Full Version : heel-less shoes....

Gabbyv23
04-29-2011, 10:44 PM
I'm thinking of cosplaying Chell in Portal 2 and she has these... boots...

http://images.wikia.com/half-life/en/images/9/9b/Long_fall_boot_diagram.jpg

They have NO HEELS. How does that work? I mean... that sounds rather painful to wear, to me anyway. Does anyone else ever cosplay someone who has shoes like that? and if so... how do you manage!?

Aoipeach
04-29-2011, 11:15 PM
the link isn't working, but i assume you're meaning the long fall boots. I was discussing this with my friend the other day, as she was considering cosplaying as Chell as well. Ideas (actually viability of these isn't guaranteed ) we tossed around were using clear (like crystal clear) high heels, like that are usually classified as stripper heels lol. Up close it would be pretty noticeable but maybe the effect from far away would be better. Another idea was like a sturdy leg brace type thing. Like have a sturdy strap around your calf and that's where most of the pressure (like the part of the longfall boot that hits the ground, like a kinda flat J) would go along with the balls of your feet. The last idea is only good is if you can do some sort of metalworking or plastic forming. but making a stiff form for the bottom of your foot when it's in the proper position for the boost, and then attaching a very very thin rod from the part under your heel to the ground, then extending the part from the front of your foot back till it goes a bit past where the rod would hit for stability. optionally combining this with 2 and removing the extension. OH one last last one, i have seen high heel shoes where it's like a wedge, but the heel part isn't there, up to like half of it gone, maybe even more. they look impossible to walk in but apparently it's possible. if i find a link to it i will edit this

edit:
This is kinda like this http://exotic-high-heels.amazonwebstore.com/BP579SAFFO-5.5-Heel-Platform-Ankle-Boot/M/B004QOSXVE.htm?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=froogle i've seen high heels like this too

darknessinzeros
04-29-2011, 11:48 PM
This is quite the canundrum, I crossplay Gaga and am in the process of making her heelless boots, but the boot your talking about doesn't have the platform like the one's I'm recreating. You see the way most actual heelless shoes work is the platform in the front, the way it's shaped and the weight of it is engineered to be able to walk. Now I did see someone at the club wearing what looked like pumps, but they were heelless. They did have a small platform in the front, maybe 2-3 inches, but I think they may be made with a strip of steel in the sole of the shoe.

Kelley
04-30-2011, 12:45 AM
Honestly, I would just fake it.

You could make them, but they'd require highly skilled construction. You'd need moulded plastic pieces and they'd have to have enough strength to support you. That's not something you can work with easily - and you'd have to sculpt and mould.

If you mean these : http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5261/5613377191_d7272a9acd.jpg

They're not so much "without a heel" as it is "soft reinforced bootie in a holster" the scythe looking part is the "heel". So, if you had them made, you could wear them with practice, but this is beyond the crafting scope of even advanced work.

They remind me of jump stilts and running prosthetics for amputees. They function on those principles.

They work differently than those platform shoes with the heels cut off. Actually, Chell's would be moderately safer to walk in since you'd have a heel to balance on - instead of none. Having none IS dangerous and pony boots are not something you want to walk around all day in unless you're a fetish model and getting paid.

I'd just use some base boots and paint the heel neutral cool gray so as to become "invisible" against most backgrounds. You could mod some of the couture-style boots, but but I think that wouldn't give you the best look - you don't want big platforms and I imagine they'd be pretty expensive and the shape would still be "off" - regular boots with a hidden heel would foot the eye more.

Gabbyv23
04-30-2011, 06:32 PM
Is there any way to maybe.... fake a heel? like have one inside where it can't be seen? Not sure if it would fit in or work but... what ever doesn't kill my feet.

Kelley
05-01-2011, 01:39 AM
I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean ?

Were you talking about the white boots that are basically spring-stilts attached to foot-holsters ?

If so, the spring IS the heel.

So... do you mean one of the other ones ?

dj_jammer506
05-01-2011, 09:00 AM
I've heard it's all about learning to walk in them.

Try this, stand up and walk on your tippy toes. (Who knows a less childish way to say that? hahah) Like this (http://images.teamsugar.com/files/upl1/1/12981/19_2008/tiptoe.jpg).

Your heel has nothing to do with that, and you are able to walk just fine... At least for a little while. So it's possible, but I don't think I... Actually, I KNOW I wouldn't want to walk that way during a whole Convention. A Photoshoot where I'd be able to sit down and take a break as often as possible? Hell yeah, go for it!

Hope that helps!

Kelley
05-02-2011, 12:14 AM
The character is not walking on tip-toe.

The spring in the back acts as a heel to support the foot which is in a "sling".

No need to torture yourself. Just pay hundreds of dollars to have them made or just have a neutral coloured heel.

Alope
05-02-2011, 09:22 AM
^seconded,
you do have a heel. The weight you'd normally put on your heel is now put on higher up your calves. It might actually be comfortable.

Well, at least that design looks realistic, not something a mad artist came up with. ^__^

If you can find a piece of metal shaped flat like that.. well, do you know shoe spoons? That kind of metal. But not hollowed. (http://www.tiger-stores.nl/uploads/c_product/2100003_picture_9961_3.jpg). If you manage to get a piece of metal shaped like that, but big enough to form the heel, after which you bend it into shape (if that goes easy, it won't hold)... you have the heel.
It's properties should almost be the same. Now if you attach that into the shoe such that it will hold at least a part of your weight (most difficult part), you have your balance, and if you're able to walk on heels already, you might find it will not be so difficult (if not, go training, like me x3). If done right, it really won't kill you.

In theory, at least. Don't take my word for any of the gibberish above unless it makes sense to you. Still, may be worth a try since you will need the back part anyway. Those shoes really do exist, so you could buy some as well, after which you could make some boot covers or something. Hiding heels by using a clear piece of whatever strong enough material will still give reflections from light and stuff, but you could do that as well. Having a hidden heel inside would really, really kill you - believe me, a pair of those things is killing me as well. xD

Kelley
05-02-2011, 05:17 PM
Yeah, the problem is you need the "heel" to have a good amount of flex to it, and you need the body of the boot to be RIGID, not fabric like a regular boot.

If you chopped off a boot's heel and added the metal/plastic piece, you'd probably rip out the back of the boot. You'd have to make this stable.

The game's design is pretty sound (for regular walking around - I couldn't attest to it holding up to stunts), and you could make boots like that and walk in them - but they're going to be difficult to fabricate well.

And Alope has a good idea - if you covered the heels in a chrome-like colour, it might make them pretty invisible, too.

Akibie
05-11-2011, 11:21 PM
A shoe like that definitely exists. Lady GaGa wears them all the time. It's possible to walk in them and everything. You're actually supposed to put your weight on the ball of your feet instead of your heel.
The only problem with shoes like that would be the price. The cheapest I've found is $89. and the shipping probably would bring it to $100+
Good luck

Kelley
05-12-2011, 07:14 AM
Chell's boots aren't quite like that, though. They don't have a platform and they DO have a heel (the spring acts as a heel).

If there was one of those "no heel" boots without much of a platform, it might work to fake it (you would still have to be careful that the heel you made wouldn't have too much weight put on it and rip through the fabric of the boot), but from an engineering perspective, they're totally different.

I just mention this because if someone DID want to take the time to actually make a truer-to-life pair of her boots, that would be an important factor.

I think that regular high-heels would look better than platfrom ones - the big platforms are going to throw off the silhouette of the costume.

verdatum
05-12-2011, 11:21 AM
I've been vaguely tempted to make these boots for real. If I had a friend interested in doing the cosplay, I'd likely try to make them.

The upper would be vacuformed plastic; probably ABS.
I think I can make the sole with neoprene, but I haven't had the need to gain experience with the sturdier rubbers (usually requires heat vulcanization).

The "heel" would be a combination of carbon fiber and spring-steel. As stated before, the design is modeled after leg prosthetics, such as the Nitro Running foot by Freedom Innovations. One would certainly want to do a lot of testing (read: Science!!) to ensure the safety of the thing. To do the carbon fiber properly, you'd really need to do a vacuum bag technique.

Somewhat obviously, this product is not really going to work in the real world. That is to say, it's not going to let you fall from great heights without injury. It could merely be made well enough to support the weight of a person a couple times over, so that it wouldn't break/shatter from something simple like an unassisted vertical leap.

But yeah, the long fall boot totally goes on my list of props I'd love to make, but totally don't need. Such as a functional Ivy sword from Soul Calibur. I'm sure someone will make a dead-on realistic one eventually, and I look forward to it.

Randomidous
07-27-2011, 01:22 AM
I just thought of something. For a base, you could just take an old pair of heels, snap the heels off, and then glue a painted wedge of wood into the arch-area to support more of your foot. It would just look like a platform, but really it would support most of your weight. You would have to reinforce the springs in the back a bit, but it might work. I haven't actually tried it yet, but it seemed to me like it could actually be do-able. I don't know, just brainstorming. Maybe someone with more knowledge about these kind of things could confirm or deny the plausibility of this plan.

skyward
08-06-2011, 11:16 PM
So i will also be cosplaying Chell at a convention and need to make these boots. i have fake leather boots that i cut the heels off of and the metal pieces. I went to home depot and showed a reference picture to a few employees and a guy actually went in the back and bent the metal piece for me for free! I only had to pay like $12 for the metal:D Anyways the only problem i have now is how to attach the metal to the boot? I don't think super glue/hot glue/gorilla glue will be able to support my weight... I will be walking mostly on my toes (i am used to it) and really just need the metal for some support. Oh and also the same employee said that if i tried screwing the metal into the boot/another piece of metal inside the boot, the fabric would rip. I don't know what to do >.< any ideas?

StrawberrySiren
08-07-2011, 12:47 AM
Maybe you can get holes drilled into it in a few places so you can sew the metal to the boots?

verdatum
08-07-2011, 01:35 PM
No kidding skyward, can you post pix?

They're right about bolting it. Basically, you will need to make a plate that fits your calf. Then you'll want to put that cuff inside the boot, and rivet in 4 places (like a rectangle) to the piece of metal.

The cuff will need to be made either out of metal, or a very heavy plastic (or fiber reinforced plastic). After you put the rivets in place, you'll probably want to glue on a piece of leather (or pleather) for comfort.

Hakkari
08-07-2011, 02:42 PM
So i will also be cosplaying Chell at a convention and need to make these boots. i have fake leather boots that i cut the heels off of and the metal pieces. I went to home depot and showed a reference picture to a few employees and a guy actually went in the back and bent the metal piece for me for free! I only had to pay like $12 for the metal:D Anyways the only problem i have now is how to attach the metal to the boot? I don't think super glue/hot glue/gorilla glue will be able to support my weight... I will be walking mostly on my toes (i am used to it) and really just need the metal for some support. Oh and also the same employee said that if i tried screwing the metal into the boot/another piece of metal inside the boot, the fabric would rip. I don't know what to do >.< any ideas?

Walking on your toes for an entire convention WILL hurt. Trust me, I thought that I could do it, but then walking around in regular boots for an entire day had my toes throbbing.

I have no idea how you could attach the springs (I assume that's what you're talking about), but it's going to be hard if you're relying on them for support. The thing about Chell's long fall boots is that they act as though she's wearing heels; she's not actually standing on her toes the entire time.

skyward
08-07-2011, 05:05 PM
No kidding skyward, can you post pix?

They're right about bolting it. Basically, you will need to make a plate that fits your calf. Then you'll want to put that cuff inside the boot, and rivet in 4 places (like a rectangle) to the piece of metal.

The cuff will need to be made either out of metal, or a very heavy plastic (or fiber reinforced plastic). After you put the rivets in place, you'll probably want to glue on a piece of leather (or pleather) for comfort.

Here are some pics: http://s1116.photobucket.com/albums/k574/Skyward27/long%20fall%20boots/

Wynn1313
08-09-2011, 02:41 AM
the fabric will probably rip if you don't enforce it enough. If you attach it with strong glue you'd have a risk of it ripping AND falling apart at the con. here's what I would do (and what I'm going to do since I'm also making these >.< ) i wouldn't use fabric for the leg part, instead I would use plastic. you can also get that at home depot obviously. there are tons of tutorials on how to shape and use plastic sheets. Attaching it to the base of the boot with screws or whatever floats your boat, so you have a very very good bond as seeing this will hold up much of your weight. this way you can screw in the metal to another piece of metal inside the boot, and not have to worry about fabric ripping. instead you'll have a very nice looking and sturdy piece of plastic. I'm speculating this so maybe it'll work maybe it won't, i don't want to sound like I know everything. When I make them myself I'll share more tips.

lostpuzzle
10-01-2011, 08:01 PM
I'm currently about to start making a pair, and I'm thinking of using lexan for the spring. I'm facing the problem of attaching the spring to the boot though... I might cut a pair of rain boots to fit the back of the boot, then use a backing plate of sorts and bolt (or fasten) the spring onto that.

Being in robotics is a plus for me, I have a lot of materials to work with xD

paraplegicpanda
10-05-2011, 12:23 AM
Woot for my first post! :-P

Okay, I'm going to be building a pair of these boots for my Chell costume (Chell gets to be a guy for once...) and I'm pretty sure I know how to make these guys work. I'm planning on going to Home Depot per Skyward and getting the metal bent for the heel but I'm also going to get a piece of metal bent to the shape of my calf/sole. I'll be attaching them with a hinge at the top of the back of the boot.

The rest of the boot will basically be a high heel boot with the heel ripped off. I plan on carving out a space in the sole on the inside of the boot for the sole of the metal, bolting it in and tossing some Dr. Scholl's on top of it.

I'm probably just going to secure the two pieces of metal together for now so it doesn't go all floppy with the hinge but I would like to eventually have a couple of expansion springs crafted so the heel can move on the hinge like in the first few seconds of the video where they show Chell wearing the boots but it will still return to it's original position.

The major benefit of this design is that the entire foot will still get full support from the heel piece. Refer to my diagram to get a better idea of what I'm talking about:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6609907/boot.png

verdatum
10-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Welcome! If you go this route, be sure to grind/file/sand the edges of the metal completely smooth. Otherwise, the burrs will tear through the backing, and wreck your calves.

Harls
12-20-2011, 02:28 PM
Hey guys! Bumping this along because I've been searching this up myself. I've read countless things so far but I haven't found a doable solution yet....

Somewhere I found a person wanting to use titanium alloy to make the back spring thing.... it's not very heavy and it's a very strong metal. However, I can't seem to find a place to buy just a small quanity of it, and I'm not even sure if it would work. Do you think aluminum could work as well? Or will it not be strong enough to support a person of average height and weight as she walks?

verdatum
12-20-2011, 04:11 PM
Titanium alloy is a specialty product, and a little bit overhyped in its physical properties. Unless you're working your project out with a mechanical engineer, even if you could find it, it wouldn't be worth the price-hike.

Aluminum could potentially work; it just needs to be an appropriate alloy, and the right thickness. Mild steel could work as well. The question of required thickness is a pretty difficult one. Stuff like Euler-Bernoulli beam equations, and material tensile yield strength, and all sorts of other equations not covered in my physics classes. The important thing is that you want it to support a force equal or greater to twice your weight.

again, keep in mind that neither of these materials are springs, and you cannot treat them as such. Walk in these as though they were spike heels.

Harls
12-27-2011, 08:53 PM
Thank you for the detailed reply. I will update here with progress or any other findings!

HylianChevalier
01-06-2012, 02:59 PM
I've learned so much, haha.
I'm going to be Chell as well for an upcoming con, my first actually.