PDA

View Full Version : Soul Calibur II - Seung Mina (3P) in-progress! ^^

Chanté
11-06-2003, 03:39 PM
I just wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions for my in-progress Seung Mina 3P costume (the pink and blue hanbok).

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=92139&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

I was basically a generic Korean girl for Halloween. I still need the right hair, jewelry, shoes, and of course the weapon! :B

I know it looks UBER shiny cause of the flash ^^; but the cheogori (jacket) is made of pink brocade and the chima is made of silk essence.

- Were the fabrics (esp. the brocade) well-chosen? Should I have used other fabrics?
- Does the shininess seriously detract from the costume? (Some people think it makes it look formal, and others don't.)
- How do you think I can get the flower pattern on the chima (as shown in the character design)? Embroidery? Applique? (I'm afraid to use applique because it might stiffen the "soft flow" of the silk essence.) Maybe completely make it out of the right fabric when I find it? I'm looking for a lightweight printed silk/silk essence type fabric to perhaps remake it out of, because in the character design, it looks like a printed fabric and not really embroidery (even though hanbok chima are almost never made out of printed fabric...).
- Any other suggestions?

I've attached a screencap for reference. Thank you so much everyone!

Lilli
11-06-2003, 03:48 PM
Oooh. I like :3

I bet it's very comfortable! Hmm. A couple of suggestions...

I'd almost suggest remaking the chima entirely out of the 'proper' fabric. A nice brocade would work, I think. It shouldn't actually be too hard to find the right pattern, either. It looks very much like blue with gold/green embroidery on it.
In regards to the cheogori, the fabric looks scarily accurate! The only thing I would mention is that the red stripe down the front looks a taaaad too thick, but it's really minor, so big flip, right? I honestly shouldn't even mention it, because I'm bordering on being obsessive there. But see? You did such a nice job that I'm reduced to obsessing over such things.

The last thing I'd mention is that the red fabric on her cuffs and the um... random red hanging down thingie (is that a tie of some sort to keep the top closed?) looks like they're also made of brocade.

That, and it sort of looks like she's wearing pants beneath that getup. Blah. Aside from all that, yaaay! It looks nice! And it's so cute! You're very lucky, you've got the right kind of hair, you won't even have to buy a wig! I'm jealous ._.\/

Chanté
11-06-2003, 03:56 PM
The collar, ties, and cuffs are made out of a dyed cotton (I know, I know ^^;; I HAD to get it because it was PERFECT). If I find a nicer fabric that looks dyed like that, then I will definitely remake it. I also followed the hanbok pattern to the letter - even if it doesn't look like in the game, at least I have an authentic-style hanbok! ^_^;;

Thank you for your suggestions. I'm actively looking for the perfect fabric!

Edit: Hahah, I know it looks like she has a lot of stuff underneath, because of the fullness of the chima. But she's actually (and very unauthentically) only wearing panties underneath. (the game provides many panty shots when she falls down -___-)

And yes, unlike my Kasumi costume, this costume IS very comfortable! I was able to wear a long-sleeved shirt and shorts underneath, and was not cold on Halloween night! :D

-Cristina

Koumori
11-06-2003, 03:59 PM
I think brocade might be a little too heavy for the chima - because of the length and fullness, I think that really needs to be made from a light fabric in order to work; brocade won't move or flow correctly. Printing or painting on the lightweight polyester you're using already would work, I think, or if you wanted to buy new fabric, I'd suggest a light silk jacquard - you can always get it white and dye it to suit you. Applique and embroidery would both have the effect of weighing the fabric down if you used it all over the garment, but a judicious application as accents or around the hem would be all right. The brocade jacket is pretty; I wouldn't worry about the shine.

By the way, there's nothing wrong with cotton as long as it's the right fabric for the job.

Chanté
11-06-2003, 04:08 PM
I think brocade might be a little too heavy for the chima - because of the length and fullness, I think that really needs to be made from a light fabric in order to work; brocade won't move or flow correctly. Printing or painting on the lightweight polyester you're using already would work, I think, or if you wanted to buy new fabric, I'd suggest a light silk jacquard - you can always get it white and dye it to suit you. Applique and embroidery would both have the effect of weighing the fabric down if you used it all over the garment, but a judicious application as accents or around the hem would be all right. The brocade jacket is pretty; I wouldn't worry about the shine.

By the way, there's nothing wrong with cotton as long as it's the right fabric for the job.
Thank you, Koumori.

For some reason I had the preconception that cotton wasn't a good fabric to "mix into" a formal costume, but I felt it really worked for this one. I'm glad you agree. =)

And I'm overjoyed that people like the jacket! ^_^

liz-maru
11-06-2003, 05:27 PM
whoa looks awesome to me *_*

*Jibrielle*
11-06-2003, 06:39 PM
That looks awesome!

Jehuty
11-06-2003, 11:17 PM
OMG! I can't believe it this is my favorite costume for Seung Mina in Soul Calibur II * cries you don't know how proud I am that you made it ( curse all those who mocked it before :angry: ). lol anyway it looks really good where did you get the materials the patern looks flawless? Now if only you had a Halbred prop or better yet a feather broom lol.

Chanté
11-07-2003, 01:02 AM
OMG! I can't believe it this is my favorite costume for Seung Mina in Soul Calibur II * cries you don't know how proud I am that you made it ( curse all those who mocked it before :angry: ). lol anyway it looks really good where did you get the materials the patern looks flawless? Now if only you had a Halbred prop or better yet a feather broom lol.
Thank you!

My boyfriend thinks it looks like a maternity outfit. I think Michi said something along those lines too. XD I don't mind, I just think it's funny that so many people know what a kimono is... but very few people know what a hanbok is. ^_^ Maybe I just know cause my community (Irvine) is like 30% Korean. XD

The almost-totally-authentic hanbok pattern that I used is from http://www.folkwear.com - my favorite place to get beautiful patterns! (The only thing that's not accurate about the pattern is that the white strip around my neck should be removable and made of paper, symbolizing purity in the girl who wears it. Instead, the pattern just uses twill ribbon and makes it nonremovable. ^^)

Materials:
The pink brocade comes from http://www.thaisilks.com .
The silk essence is from Joann's; you can get it online from http://www.joann.com .
The dyed-looking fabric for the ties, collar, and cuffs are from http://www.denverfabrics.com , I think they're called "Moda Marbles" and they're located in the quilting section. They have EVERY color! ^^

DUDE. I do wanna make the broomstick!! *-*

kerochan
11-07-2003, 07:28 AM
wow! That costume looks awesome! From the picuture it looks like the skirt is too long, but that shouldn't hinder the rest of the costume.

Koumori
11-07-2003, 08:31 AM
My boyfriend thinks it looks like a maternity outfit. I think Michi said something along those lines too. XD I don't mind, I just think it's funny that so many people know what a kimono is... but very few people know what a hanbok is. ^_^ Maybe I just know cause my community (Irvine) is like 30% Korean. XD

I know what a hanbok is, and I still think they look like maternity dresses. ;)

Michi
11-07-2003, 11:36 AM
I think it looks great. <3 What cons are you going to wear it to? I want to take Seung Mina pictures with you! I'll be doing her 1P at most of the earlier cons next year, but by AXtime my hair'll be wrong for it and I don't wanna use a wig. ^^;

I don't think it looks TOO shiny. Then again I know nothing about what proper fabrics that should be made with. ^_^ And yes, I did say something about it looking like a maternity dress. XD It was in the costumes for pregnant women thread. >_> 'Cause you wouldn't be able to tell if there was a big belly under there or not.. :F

o.o Your hair isn't right? Maybe I didn't look closely enough.. ^^;

Chanté
11-07-2003, 03:59 PM
Wow, I would LOVE to take Mina pics with you, Michi! *-* and hahah, about the maternity thing, when my boyfriend said it, he said it as if it was a derogatory thing. XD So that's why I brought it up when Jehuty mentioned the people mocking the costume. :B

I'm going to wear it to Pacific Media Expo (that new con that'll be on memorial day weekend - my birthday weekend!), Anime Expo if I am not in Vietnam at that time (there is a chance I'll be in Vietnam teaching English to a bunch of Jesuits there through my Catholic school), Ani-Magic, and any SC cosplay.com photoshoots that may occur.

The hair in this costume is about collarbone length and it's tied in a Princess Jasmine style ponytail (with two ribbons).

Michi
11-07-2003, 05:08 PM
You should go to Fanime and wear it there. X3 *prod* Bah, gonna PM you stuff about cons now, haha.