PDA

View Full Version : Would This be considered "SteamPunk"?

DandyPianist
05-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Okay, so i decided to make a steampunk outfit but being new im not sure if this could be considered steampunk. i was gonna make a hat a top hat maybe dark brown or black with 4 gears on it that turn 3 gears on front that turn together and one on back...does that fit in the steampunk style or is it a better idea not too? i also re-thought maybe just doing Dandy idk what do u all think?

Mangochutney
05-08-2011, 12:38 AM
I'm always so curious...what would you do if someone said "no"?

Kelley
05-08-2011, 04:05 PM
A hat with gears ?

I think people would get that you're trying to do "steampunk", but it's not very creative and a lot of the steampunk community derides "just sticking gears on things and calling it steampunk".

I agree that a costume where things are thought out and have an actual reason are more interesting to look at and look better-made.

It's up to you. No one's going to shoot you for it or anything.

StarlightJumper
05-08-2011, 10:22 PM
If they move, might I suggest going all the way and making them move something? Like, add something to the top of the hat that the gears manipulate. Depending on what character concept you have in mind, you could probably come up with something really cool.

DandyPianist
05-09-2011, 05:38 PM
I'm always so curious...what would you do if someone said "no"?

would not bother me if u said no i asked xD

DandyPianist
05-09-2011, 05:40 PM
A hat with gears ?

I think people would get that you're trying to do "steampunk", but it's not very creative and a lot of the steampunk community derides "just sticking gears on things and calling it steampunk".

I agree that a costume where things are thought out and have an actual reason are more interesting to look at and look better-made.

It's up to you. No one's going to shoot you for it or anything.

Lol well its not really one of those not thought out things its a top hat with turning gears like a mechanical device, and i do plane on making more stuff for the whole thing im not only making a hat i planned on making a whole suit with many different, creative things... x3

DandyPianist
05-09-2011, 05:42 PM
If they move, might I suggest going all the way and making them move something? Like, add something to the top of the hat that the gears manipulate. Depending on what character concept you have in mind, you could probably come up with something really cool.

yea x3 this trend was really just to see if its considered steampunk i planned on adding maybe something else just for now thats the idea going one thing at a time lol its not cheap anyways and its my first time i partly might just end up going as sebastian from black butler due to my height xD

DandyPianist
05-09-2011, 05:43 PM
Thx for all the good comments i really liked them and they were good thanks