PDA

View Full Version : Katsucon .. size?

Masami
11-07-2003, 03:48 PM
Hey everyone ^_^ This will be my group's first time to Katsu. We've been to Otakon the past couple of years, and we go to other cons down here in the South (mainly Georgia), such as AWA and DragonCon. My question is this, how big is Katsucon exactly? I know Otakon packs in 20,000ish, but AWA is a much smaller con. Is Katsu a fairly ok con? We're going whether or not it is "big" ... I was just curious ^-^ ... and how big is the Masq? Thanks

Neko Cathy
11-08-2003, 02:13 AM
Considering this is its 10th year, Katsucon is big, but not as big as Otakon, Anime Expo, etc. It's good for the cosplay, hang outs, dealers and Anime viewing... that's about it.

The masquerade isn't that big as I heard. I missed it this year :(

Lyn
11-08-2003, 09:31 AM
Neko Cathy - This year's cosplay wasn't quite as good as it has been in the past. There were still some really good skits but overall there just seem to be quite as many interesting ones.

Katsucon is a hell of a lot smaller than Otakon and AX but most of us like it for that fact. It had gotten bigger every year though and sometimes we do have a scare of worrying about whether they'll have to close registration down sometime during the con if they go over the limit of people they are allowed. I say it's a pretty good size but then, I don't really have anything else to compare it to since I've only been to Katsu and Ota.

The Masq. can be really really good sometimes and then some years it'll be alright but nothing spectacular. But as you never know what's going to happen, I highly suggest checking it out or participating.

Masami
11-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Thanks ^_^ Sounds fun.. and yesh.. we're going to participate in the Masq. ^-^!!

Oshi
11-10-2003, 12:07 PM
It's big enough to have alot of floor space and alot of con stuff, but not so big that you lose people like Otakon. I consider it a medium sized con.

Sala
11-10-2003, 04:39 PM
I'd definitly label it as a medium sized con. There are enough activities (dealers room, game room, panels, what-not) to keep a person entertained for the weekend. There are enough people to make it exciting, but few enough that it's not quite the mad-house that Otakon tends to be.

CHAOS
11-11-2003, 08:09 AM
It is an ok size con. It seems small but the hallways get crowded quickly with people especially around the video rooms. You don't really notice how big it is until you go watch the masquerade. The huge room is jam packed with people fairly quickly.
BTW, you coming from GA? Far but cool.

Anikiki
11-11-2003, 08:15 AM
Yeah, I remember when I was there last year. I went on Saturday, since it was my first con, and it got crowded around Masquerade. Volunteers were yelling at my friends and me to move. The only reason I didn't get into Masquerade was because my anime club group were eating at this diner not far from the hotel, and the service was terrible. I didn't get my food for like an hour, and by the time I was finishing my meal, cosplay was already starting. Oh, well. At least I got to see Love Hina Spring movie. ^_^

Kas
11-12-2003, 12:32 PM
Yea I would say Katsu is a medium size con. It's on like 3 levels and there are escalators to each of those floors. My only grip was waiting forever for a elevator but I guess that happens at every con.

We had a group in the masqurade and luckily a nice hotel staff person let us use the service elevators to get to the main floor. ^.^ I thought Katsu's masqurade was awesome due to the fact we were able to watch the whole thing will waiting for our turn. They have video feed in this room. They also provided us with food and drinks. It was awesome. They were really nice to us in that room too. Then after you performed, there was a photo area that you could go to get your pictures taken. The only downside was when the awards was presented we were all crammed by the door to wait to see if our number was called. But other than that it was cool. :)

Mako-san
11-12-2003, 12:36 PM
last year was my first time at Katsu and I thought it was great! the Masquarade well for participants was great, they really helped out the cosplayers, even had snacks and managed to get a video feed in the room so that we all can watch it. Now thats service.

Other than the snow thing, it was an enjoyable experience.

LadyXenie
11-13-2003, 09:32 AM
Katsucon is a nice size. I was lucky enough to be able to compare Katsu and Otakon. I feel that Katsucon is a smaller con...but you get to reunite with a lot of people from the year before. So katsu is really a comfortable atmosphere and everyone was really nice the last time I went. ^_^ I can't wait to see everyone this year!

DigitalCactus
11-13-2003, 07:58 PM
its good to hear that Katsucon as grown since last I went there.. about 3 years ago...

Masami
11-15-2003, 02:48 AM
Yes, I'm coming from Georgia.. with my caravan >D lol.. just my group. I'm splitting hairs, working on my costumes for Katsu.. and I just sent in my membership. WOOT! I'm set >=D Hope to see you all there!

Kamui32
11-19-2003, 09:38 PM
Like most people before me said, I say its a medium size con. I've only been to Katsucon and Otakon. It's not as big as otakon but not that small either the dealers room and video rooms are good, and so is the video game room. The Masquarade is cool, Otakons was better in my opinion but still Katsucons was good too. I highly recommend katsucon to everyone since its a good size, not too big but not to small, just right! But thats my opinion. Katsucon is a great con! ^_^