PDA

View Full Version : Toronto Distillery district photoshoot experience

heekun
05-07-2011, 02:46 PM
Hello, does anyone have any experience with photoshoots in the Distillery district in Toronto? The shoot is for a jrock style band and I wont be able to scout out the area before the photoshoot. The idea is to be in a unique location and possibly give the sense that the shoot is in Toronto.

abitmelancholic
05-20-2011, 03:26 PM
I google-maps'd the Distillery District and if you drag the little yellow man into the area it'll give you a street view. Then to your top left there's a button called "Photos", it has a lot of cool shots from around there.

novaraven1
06-10-2011, 12:12 PM
I have heard they are really touchey about people taking pics there now. It's used for a lot of movie sets and they are used to people taking pics there and will kick you out. Most historical places in toronto (castaloma, allan gardens, churches and even most public parks) charge for you to use them, around 300$/hr, and they don't like it when people just show up and start shooting without clearance or paying.

Osgoode hall is still free, you should try there.

heekun
06-16-2011, 08:51 PM
Thanks folks - the photoshoot didnt go as planned. But for those interested, the distillery district does have an official website. Like novaraven1 mentioned, the group that manages the district has rules regarding photos. It looks like they tolerate wedding, engagement photos as well as model head shots, but anything else appears to be a considered commercial photography and will require a permit ($).

CosplayInvasion
07-31-2011, 10:48 AM
I took some standard portrait pics at the DD about a month ago. Someone (a waitress, actually) approached me and asked if I had a permit to shoot - it turns out I was taking pics inside a restaurant patio, though I thought it was just a random corner and not part of a restaurant. Anyway, we just moved on from the spot and found other places to shoot. Other than the fact the place was packed with people that day, had no other real problems.