PDA

View Full Version : Convention Rules?

Rime-chan
05-08-2011, 01:21 AM
Needless to say, I'm sure you all noticed that American conventions and Japanese conventions are durastically different.

I am a Japanese con noob. I've gone to them as a civiallin, but was very confused as to all the rules.

Designated cosplay areas? are we not allowed to walk into the convention center in our costumes and then proceed to the designated area? Do we have to pay to cosplay? Are photo passes manditory to take pictures?

And My ship is FINALLY gonna be in port this year for the Tokyo Game Show. Do you have to be a country sponsored cosplayer to participate in the events?

@_@

It's very odd to be out of my element when it comes to cosplay, but if any of you veterans can shed some light, You'd save me the challenge is trying to translate a very engrish conversation.

kiratsukai
05-08-2011, 03:21 AM
Designated cosplay areas?

Most events allow cosplay only in certain areas. Generally speaking, you will recieve a map or explanation after paying the fee to participate or visiting the reception desk. Leaving those areas in costume isn't allowed.

are we not allowed to walk into the convention center in our costumes and then proceed to the designated area?

Nearly all formal, daytime events require you to change into your costume at a designated changing area after you arrive and change out of them before you leave. If you arrive in costume (and are noticed by staff doing so), you may be barred from participating or asked to leave.

Do we have to pay to cosplay?

Usually events charge a fee to cosplay, collected as a changing room fee. Some events carry additional entry fees for all participants, cosplayers must pay those fees as well. Some events are free, especially in smaller towns, but you still need to visit reception and use the changing rooms provided.

Club events and dance parties generally do not charge extra to cosplay and may even offer discount rates to costumed guests. You still need to pay to get into the club.

Are photo passes manditory to take pictures?

No. Only very large and photocentric events require camera registration, and then only for cameramen and guests who are attending with photography in mind. Cosplayers are not generally required to register their cameras or pay extra photography-related fees.

And My ship is FINALLY gonna be in port this year for the Tokyo Game Show. Do you have to be a country sponsored cosplayer to participate in the events?

TGS doesn't have a history of inviting sponsored cosplayers beyond booth-babes (models hired by the companies themselves) and a handful of special guests for event-related press panels. Last year was a strange experiment in internationalism that wasn't entirely successful. No news yet if it will be a repeated one. In any case, none of us were sponsored by our countries, but by the promotion company behind TGS itself.

Regular cosplayers may attend, but they must wait in line for the event, the changing room, pay for event passes and a changing fee.