PDA

View Full Version : Portal 2 Long Fall Boots help?

Rurouni-Idoru
05-11-2011, 12:32 AM
Alright, so. I've lost my mind and dived headfirst into constructing a costume for Chell from Portal 2. So far so good; I've got the outfit about 90% done, but what I'm concerned about are her sweet new boots, as seen in this trailer for them (http://youtu.be/wX9Sc88qreg). I've gotten myself a pair of cheap heels from a thrift store and I'm making some boot covers for them of mostly foam and vinyl.

My problem is the heel: specifically, the Long Fall Boots don't have one. They have that sciencey spring thing. Now I'm not stupid enough to think that I should remove the heel and actually rely on my spring (Not least because I'm planning to make them out of plastic or maybe tin, so there's no way they'd hold my weight). But does anyone have a recommendation to make them somehow less noticeable? Someone suggested using clear acrylic heels, but, a) I already have my shoes, b) acrylic heels are usually way too high and/or strappy sandal type, c) and they're not commonly found at thrift stores and I'm spending enough on this costume as it is.

If the answer is just to cut my losses and leave it as one of those "suspension of disbelief" details that don't translate to real life, that's fine, I just figured I'd check with you fine people first, as the advice and tutorials here have been invaluable so far.

Kelley
05-11-2011, 01:52 AM
Someone had a thread about this recently - and there were lots of ideas in it.

I think the two things we were thinking in the end were either paint the heels a neutral grey or a chrome.

verdatum
05-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Aw, come on. It's all about making a functional carbon-fiber spring. You know you want to.

Rurouni-Idoru
05-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Aw, come on. It's all about making a functional carbon-fiber spring. You know you want to.

Of course I do! But there's a big difference between what I want, and what I am capable of and can afford. ;)

And Kelley, I hadn't realized there was another thread floating around, probably due to my ineptitude with the search bar. I'd say the idea of painting them grey appeals to me very much, not least of all because I already have black and white paint laying around, and will probably need to buy some clear paint sealer anyway. Any suggestions on what...range, I guess, of grey to go with? (Meaning light grey, middle grey...?)

Kelley
05-11-2011, 09:18 PM
You basically want a mid-grey that will blend in with your environment.

Chrome works because it will reflect what's around you.

There's no perfect grey, but a mid-grey will have the best chance when it comes to a flat colour. Make it matte, not glossy.

Emilt
05-15-2011, 01:55 PM
Alright, here is my idea. I saw someone who made a cosplay from Portal 1 and created the heel springs with old skis. Maybe if you cut off the heel and replaced it with a ski as the "spring", it would suffice as a heel on its own?

Rurouni-Idoru
05-15-2011, 03:34 PM
I was figuring on a mid-grey myself, but I figured I should ask. My art knowledge is largely limited to the 2-D, which is why cosplay gives me such trouble sometimes.

Alright, here is my idea. I saw someone who made a cosplay from Portal 1 and created the heel springs with old skis. Maybe if you cut off the heel and replaced it with a ski as the "spring", it would suffice as a heel on its own?

As much as I'd love to have a semi-functional heelspring (and I would, believe me; if I had a pair of real, hard boots like that I'd wear them all the time), like I said, I'm making the white part of the boots out of vinyl-covered foam, so my worry there wouldn't be that the springs wouldn't hold my weight, but that the springs wouldn't stay attached if I tried.

2DLogic
05-15-2011, 03:58 PM
I'm sure this is getting into more than you'd bargained for, but what about making some type skeletal structure that could be covered by the boot covers and attaching the spring to that?
You'd basically be making a long piece that would run from the top of where the spring attached too, down the back of your leg, and into the shoe. Think of it like a long shoe horn that conformed to the sole of your foot and up around the heel to the back of the calf muscle.

This would give you a more rigid structure to: form you boot covers on, to attach the straps that go around the front of the leg to, and just might give you enough support to cut off the heel and have only the support of the spring.

Price wise, this shouldn't cost too much more than what you had planned as the amount of metal you'd need to form the skeleton would be minimal. The spring could be made from a variety of things, as most metals should be able to support the weight under normal walking conditions, but if you choose the carbon fiber route then expect your costs to go up quite a bit. The problem lies in the fact that not many people have access to the kinds of tools or experience you'd need to properly form something like this.

Geoffopotamus
05-15-2011, 05:08 PM
You can always buy yourself some round acrylic stock. You'd only need a little bit and then you could just replace your heels with that. Not to hard not to pricey and pretty easy to find online. That's what I would do if I was making them.

CozartEnma
05-15-2011, 06:16 PM
this shows a basic blueprint of the boots, sorry if I didn't provide much help

http://lyoko-nakadashi.deviantart.com/art/Portal-2-Fall-Boot-Blueprint-205844541?q=boost%3Apopular%20long%20fall%20boots&qo=0