PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Reserving Rooms for 2004?

Sumomo
11-08-2003, 01:22 PM
Just wanted to know who has already reserved rooms for Otakon 2004. ^__^ How many people prepare in advance?

Also: Are there any girls intrested in getting a room together? Costs for the room will split depending on how many people want to get a room. ^^;;; Sure it may be early, but eh... doesn't hurt to ask in advance!

SquishedFlower
11-08-2003, 02:35 PM
I dont know how soon I should reserve a room somewhere, I guess not too late because sooo many people are going ! O_O

Sumomo
11-08-2003, 09:18 PM
Yeah I agree. When it comes a few months close to Otakon everything is already booked, so getting a room in advance is really REALLY good. ;-; I don't want to be homeless for a weekend!

Bahzi
11-09-2003, 12:58 AM
Normally I would say its too early..but Baltimore sucks ass, so getting as close as you can to the con center is advisable so you don't have to walk so much in that ludicrous panhandler-and-one-way-street-infested city! Otakon is cool though, so its worth paying some insane amount to stay in that hellhole. If I go next year I'm going to try for Days Inn, because A) its much cheaper, and B) its right across the street from the con)

We stayed at the Radisson this year. It wasn't a bad hotel by any means, on the contrary it was very classy, but it was $175 a night and 5 blocks from the con. I know 5 blocks doesn't sound like much, but in a costume in the rain tripping over beggars it feels like 5 miles.

If you like baltimore I'm happy for you, but by the end of the weekend we were like "stupid f**cking light rails!"

The moral is, book way ahead of time and get very accurate maps..and give yourself extra time because even the people at AAA who drew us out a path on the map didn't know most of the streets were one way, and you will probably get either A.) lost or B.) get to park very far away from your hotel.

Sumomo
11-09-2003, 01:13 AM
Well I live about 30 minutes away from Baltimore but hotels are nice because I have a place to store my dealers room bags without having to carry it around along with my costumes.

I'm still looking for girls who want to room together starting now. Days Inn seems like a great place to me!

Hotaru's Sister
11-09-2003, 08:46 AM
i highly suggest booking now. We already booked ours and alot of the hotel reservation sites are already booked for the weekend. I'm so glad we got rooms at the Days Inn again. Nothing beats staying at a con hotel.

Sumomo
11-10-2003, 04:14 AM
;_; I need a group of girls who want to >< C'mon people! See the board for Otakon! Sign up with me! *flails*

Bahzi
11-10-2003, 06:21 PM
I'm sure you'll get people, hell I would but me and my boyfriend are kind of inseparable...we live together after all :) If you have a credit card I'd go ahead and reserve it so its there, you'll prolly have people metaphorically beating down your down come closer to the con...now people are just tentative with their plans. Speaking of reserving, how did you reserve Days Inn already Hotaru? Their website and travel sites say their not booking that far ahead, I'm prolly just not looking in the right places.

Sorahana
11-10-2003, 06:26 PM
I have to clarify with my mom if she'll take me to this and if she says yes then I'll get ther to start booking early next year XD.

Sumomo
11-10-2003, 09:59 PM
Hmm I wonder if I can book that weekend at Days Inn for Otakon..? I could just call o.o; I suppose.

lupohki
11-12-2003, 12:19 AM
I just reserved the Hyatt again for '04 @ $132 a night. Refer to this thread http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=5396 on how to do it.

Bahzi
11-12-2003, 11:06 PM
That site won't say the name of the hotel..looks a little shady. Plus, I don't do anything that can't be cancelled without penalty...I'd rather just go through AAA, its only $10 more through them for Days Inn, plus they don't charge you until you check out..and can always be cancelled without penalty up until 48 hours before the con, stuff happens, you shouldn't have to pay $300 for a room you can't use.

lupohki
11-14-2003, 12:02 AM
Nah .. you don't have to worry about it being shady. I've used that site for years. The only issue is if you needed to cancel. Other than that, you get one of the best hotels in the area for the price of the mediocre ones. Also, it's one of the 2 closest hotels to the convention center and is connected via sky walk so you don't have to encounter the baltimore "locals" - which if you know better, you'd want to avoid.

Bahzi
11-14-2003, 12:33 AM
No offense, but I'd still call it gambling...I'd do it but if it didn't turn out to be the right hotel, I'd be out $300..I just don't have that kind of money lying around...I'll stick with something I have written proof of. Hotel managers and staff can be incredibly difficult, you never know, and I don't leave anything to chance. It'd be great if i could be sure, but I'm going to go with Days Inn anyway...I've heard everyone whos stayed there was very happy with the service.

Daala
11-14-2003, 07:32 AM
I'm sad I know... but I've already booked my hotel room, and we've already got a group of 4. Otakon keeps getting bigger and bigger...wow...

lupohki
11-14-2003, 08:57 AM
Read my original thread .. they tell you which hotel you get right after you pay. Here's my itinerary for '04. The Hyatt is the 4 star one with tennis courts in the "Downtown and Inner Harbor".

***** HOTEL ITINERARY *****

Hotel/CRS Confirmation Number: HY003416xxxx
Hotwire Itinerary Number: 602439xxxx

City Area: Downtown and Inner Harbor
Hotel Quality: 4-star Upscale

Hyatt Regency Baltimore
300 Light Street
Baltimore, MD 21202
(410) 528-1234

Check-in Date: Thu, Jul 29, 2004
Check-out Date: Sun, Aug 1, 2004
Number Of Rooms: 1
Number of Nights: 3

Price per night: $132.00
Subtotal: $396.00
Total Taxes and Booking Fees: $54.95
Total: $450.95

Date Purchased: Nov 11, 2003/9:15PM PST

No offense, but I'd still call it gambling...I'd do it but if it didn't turn out to be the right hotel, I'd be out $300..I just don't have that kind of money lying around...I'll stick with something I have written proof of. Hotel managers and staff can be incredibly difficult, you never know, and I don't leave anything to chance. It'd be great if i could be sure, but I'm going to go with Days Inn anyway...I've heard everyone whos stayed there was very happy with the service.

Daala
11-14-2003, 09:08 AM
yeah I did that deal last year... it was great!

Bahzi
11-14-2003, 09:42 AM
yes, I read the original thread..but I have been screwed over by travel companies before...they could change the numbers around and wouldn't be legally responsible, not that they would, but I 've had stuff like that happen. I've dealt with this kind of thing before and it ended up in a big dispute with my credit card company having to call the travel company and talk lawsuits. Due to being burnt before I don't do anything unless I have documentation of what the hotel is with name *before* I hit the book button and get into something I can't get out of. I'M glad you've had luck with it, but I'd rather do something that I'm 100% percent positve I can back up if there's a problem. To me its just not worth it, to you it might be...besides, I'm actually going to be paying less for the Days Inn..I trust AAA, I go in person and plan my trips...For me it works better than online deals, I'm sure of what I'm getting, I don't like vagueness in the least.

Inamichan
11-24-2003, 11:28 PM
I booked at the Renaissance last year...very nice...and REALLY close (like, a block or 2) to the con center. I think I'm gonna try and book with a few friends that I've met offline, though - my parents are paranoid of people that I've not seen face to face. :\ (And, definitely bringing lots and lots of my own food this year! stupid expensive hotel food...)

ThatYaoiBoy
11-29-2003, 05:59 PM
I need to get a room too. I'll look into getting one at the Days Inn.

Akiko Ki
12-12-2003, 03:27 PM
Just wanted to know who has already reserved rooms for Otakon 2004. ^__^ How many people prepare in advance?

Also: Are there any girls intrested in getting a room together? Costs for the room will split depending on how many people want to get a room. ^^;;; Sure it may be early, but eh... doesn't hurt to ask in advance!

I say book now if you want a hotal near the convention we all ready got are hotal and the Days Inn is all ready booked! So if ya going to get a hotal book now there going fast. Last year we had to walk like 5 blocks to get there its a pain but not this year I learned form my mistakes ^_^ I got the Holiday Inn not a bad place got an indoor pool ! Any one else staying there?

Daala
12-12-2003, 05:32 PM
The Hyatt is almost booked, unless you do the hotwire deal. I got a room at $565 total, the hotel site is charging $700 for 2 night. It's crazy!

CapsuleCorp
12-12-2003, 11:13 PM
If you need roommates, Sumomo, I'd be up for it. Nice safe adult female. ;) And not being in the con hotel is okay by me if it means getting a slightly cheaper hotel. If we can get 4 in a room, to split the costs well, cheaper is still better. I don't give a fig about amenities - I'm going to be at a con doing con things! :)

KuroBara
12-18-2003, 10:10 PM
As of this afternoon, Thursday Dec. 18th, the Inner Harbor Days Inn is NOT Sold Out

That rumor scared me into calling up, but I reserved 4 rooms at the con rate ($127 / night occupancy-4) no problem. Anyways, don't freak out, just call to see. Once Otakon.com publishes the rates it'll probably sell out within a day, so book NOW if you want it.

That's all. See you all there!

touma
12-19-2003, 02:45 PM
;_; I need a group of girls who want to >< C'mon people! See the board for Otakon! Sign up with me! *flails*
I'll bunk with you and CapsuleCorp.
Nice safe adult female
Same here :P
What hotel are you booking?

evaunit01berser
12-19-2003, 06:35 PM
I'll bunk with you and CapsuleCorp.

Same here :P
What hotel are you booking?

for all to know the days inn is booked on otakon weekend thanks to the people that decided to go ahead without the otakon rates....like to thank you for screwing alot of people waiting for the otakon rates and pretty much just telling them "F U" hopefully karama will catch up to you and you will be sleeping in the streets with the bums

Bahzi
12-20-2003, 05:08 AM
FYI Everyone did get the Otakon rates, or at least some people did. Otakorp does not own Days Inn, i booked through my travel agent a long time ago, which I am entitled to do, as I pay a fee for being in the club. No one had to pay up front for the hotel, you could have just as easily reserved ahead yourself with a credit card..hell even a debit card, just because everyone beat you to the punch don't be an ass, besides, I reserved a room for a friend today and they said there were still plenty rooms left...that was at 3:00 pm. The notice about the otakon rates being available was on this forum as well as Otakon's forums, should have paid attention, Otakons rates have been valid for weeks.

Lottie
12-20-2003, 11:05 AM
My mom called the Hyatt today, they didn't have the Otakon rates (it's still regular price) and when she called hte Days Inn, they have to call her back cuz the reservation guy is really busy. Hopefully though there are still some rooms left or the Hyatt gets it's rates lower. =P

What are some other hotels that are close by just in case the Days Inn is full? (hopefully it's not yet though)

Edit: The Days Inn just called back and they are not full yet and so we got reservations there. It's $127 a night still but it's cheaper then $300-something. ^_^

evaunit01berser
12-20-2003, 01:26 PM
FYI Everyone did get the Otakon rates, or at least some people did. Otakorp does not own Days Inn, i booked through my travel agent a long time ago, which I am entitled to do, as I pay a fee for being in the club. No one had to pay up front for the hotel, you could have just as easily reserved ahead yourself with a credit card..hell even a debit card, just because everyone beat you to the punch don't be an ass, besides, I reserved a room for a friend today and they said there were still plenty rooms left...that was at 3:00 pm. The notice about the otakon rates being available was on this forum as well as Otakon's forums, should have paid attention, Otakons rates have been valid for weeks.

animeisha are you just dense or dumb....www.otakon.com forums go read them...THE CONTRACT ISENT MADE YET!!!.. THOSE ARE NOT OTAKON RATES!...for all you know they are the same rate as they gave bum boat joe to sleep in for a day and slapped the name otakon on it....you want to go check the Otakon boards yourself or do you want me to publicly post exact quotes from otakon staff?

edit: ya know what forget it i'll make it easier for you to go check since you seem to not be able to type the url so here ya go CLICKY!!!!! http://otakon.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=2192

CapsuleCorp
12-20-2003, 01:53 PM
Geez, chill out. The hotel's not booked up yet, so don't worry.

I haven't reserved anything yet because this is my first Otakon so I know ZERO about what hotels are in the area and whatnot. If anyone's looking for roommates, I'm available to share, bring it on. I can book with my card if no one else has one, but I need to be told where and who to talk to for the right con rates. But if someone already has a room and just needs people to share to bring down the cost, I'm your girl.

$127/night for 4 is really good. Better than DragonCon, damn.

evaunit01berser
12-20-2003, 05:31 PM
Geez, chill out. The hotel's not booked up yet, so don't worry.

I haven't reserved anything yet because this is my first Otakon so I know ZERO about what hotels are in the area and whatnot. If anyone's looking for roommates, I'm available to share, bring it on. I can book with my card if no one else has one, but I need to be told where and who to talk to for the right con rates. But if someone already has a room and just needs people to share to bring down the cost, I'm your girl.

$127/night for 4 is really good. Better than DragonCon, damn.

hmmm have a a real funny feeling it will be....heck even the otakon staff hasent gotten their rooms yet!

Sorahana
12-20-2003, 06:19 PM
Damn....hotels are expensive.......I might not be able to go to Otakon if they're that expensive ;____;. And I can't go with anyone cause my mom is overprotective ;__;. Damn.......:cries:

KuroBara
12-20-2003, 08:47 PM
for all to know the days inn is booked on otakon weekend thanks to the people that decided to go ahead without the otakon rates....like to thank you for screwing alot of people waiting for the otakon rates and pretty much just telling them "F U" hopefully karama will catch up to you and you will be sleeping in the streets with the bums

[edited for meanness]

And the $127 is the con rate, for a single occupancy it's $117. Capsule Corp, I advise reserving a room ASAP. You have until 48 hours before check-in to cancel with no penalty, so there's no risk. You just need credit / debit to hold the room. Days Inn was very friendly to my friends and I last year, so that's why I made sure to book with them again.

Even if Otakorp has not finalized their contract, Days Inn offered me the con rate right away when I told them the dates I wanted. I do not want to be one of the people locked out of my first choice hotel (again), so I booked. There's no reason for Days Inn (or any other hotel) not to take reservations for the weekend.

Karisu-sama
12-20-2003, 09:07 PM
This is your moderator speaking:

CHILL. The convention forums are not for fights, and this is a thread on hotel reservations (who, where, when, etc.) You want to start an argument or to tell people to sleep in the streets, take it elsewhere - like Private Messaging.

Bahzi
12-20-2003, 09:37 PM
The contract may not be made, but Otakon rates ARE available...as you can see I'm not the only to reserve Days Inn with Otakons rates...call them yourself, the dicount is under Otakorp, the hotel reservation staff were the ones who read it to me over the phone...and on the Otakon forums, someone said the same thing, that they reserved with the otakon rates..because they did..the contract means that they can't legally post them yet, not that they aren't all ready available CALL dude... Otakon SAID they weren't available because they don't want anyone to reserve until its posted..but Kurobara, myself, and others don't care to walk 8 blocks this year thank you very much, and it is NOT sold out, for the last time.

evaunit01berser
12-20-2003, 11:43 PM
The contract may not be made, but Otakon rates ARE available...as you can see I'm not the only to reserve Days Inn with Otakons rates...call them yourself, the dicount is under Otakorp, the hotel reservation staff were the ones who read it to me over the phone...and on the Otakon forums, someone said the same thing, that they reserved with the otakon rates..because they did..the contract means that they can't legally post them yet, not that they aren't all ready available CALL dude... Otakon SAID they weren't available because they don't want anyone to reserve until its posted..but Kurobara, myself, and others don't care to walk 8 blocks this year thank you very much, and it is NOT sold out, for the last time.

deleted for your own safety

Karisu-sama
12-21-2003, 05:32 AM
"Own safety" = whatever. (Making threats on this board is a no-no, as certain users might be able to attest to - if they weren't banned.)

Anyone looking for a room rate at a particular hotel at a particular con is quite free to do their own research into the matter and SHOULD indeed do so, despite what anyone else says or posts (even if only to confirm accuracy) - it's only common sense. Caveat Emptor.

You can disagree as to the facts and even post that, but if anyone wishes to have a heated argument / fight with someone else regarding that sort of thing, TAKE IT TO PRIVATE MESSAGING. DON'T do it here, and don't PM me to get involved in the debate. I'm not interested in "who is more right."

My job is to ensure the board stays civil. You want to rant about something more publicly, there's an entire forum on Cosplay.com for it, but it's not the Conventions forum.

evaunit01berser
12-21-2003, 09:18 AM
"Own safety" = whatever. (Making threats on this board is a no-no, as certain users might be able to attest to - if they weren't banned.)

Anyone looking for a room rate at a particular hotel at a particular con is quite free to do their own research into the matter and SHOULD indeed do so, despite what anyone else says or posts (even if only to confirm accuracy) - it's only common sense. Caveat Emptor.

You can disagree as to the facts and even post that, but if anyone wishes to have a heated argument / fight with someone else regarding that sort of thing, TAKE IT TO PRIVATE MESSAGING. DON'T do it here, and don't PM me to get involved in the debate. I'm not interested in "who is more right."

My job is to ensure the board stays civil. You want to rant about something more publicly, there's an entire forum on Cosplay.com for it, but it's not the Conventions forum.

"TAKE IT TO PRIVATE MESSAGING"and
don't "PM" me to get involved in the debate.

hey if you guys want to let the impending cluster and be part of the cause of it thats cool....dont be surprised if the flak starts flying as the con gets closer...im outta this thread

Karisu-sama
12-21-2003, 06:07 PM
"TAKE IT TO PRIVATE MESSAGING"and
don't "PM" me to get involved in the debate.

Quite correct: PM with the person you disagree with, not with me. If someone posts what you believe to be "false information" about rates & availablity, you may certainly reply in a civil manner right in the thread that you believe it to be so. If you wish to yell and scream at that person, PM that person.

Telling me that a certain poster is engaged in "doing false advertising" about hotel rates & availability is useless. I will not check up on the "accuracy" of so-n-so's hotel info, unless I am going to Otakon, in which case I may read everyone's posts but I would always start my own search from scratch.

Certainly if the poster of any hotel information is not an affiliate of the hotel or a member of the con committee, the facts should always be researched again by you. No-brainer.

Hikaruchan
12-21-2003, 07:44 PM
I suspect the Days Inn contract is already done, but since the staff stays there they may not have the staff rooms booked yet - so that is what they are wanting people to wait for - so staff gets rooms first. If the hotel is showing a discount rate in their system, I think the contract is basically done.

I stayed at the Hyatt last year - but like the Days Inn better myself. More room amenities - like microwave and stuff when I stayed in 2001, and slightly cheaper parking. If I go I am planning on staying at Days Inn, and telling my club that they need to be ready to reserve rooms by January/February if they want to stay at the Days Inn or Holiday Inn (as Hyatt too expensive even through Hotwire this time - I did go that route last time when Days Inn & Holiday Inn were booked last con)

Scortia
12-26-2003, 06:21 PM
This will be my first year up there in Baltimore... honestly, haven't even been in the North East aside from a trip to DC back in Junior High. ^^;; Anyway, so what are the recommended hotels?.. I see everyone jumping on the Days Inn... according to the website it appears relatively close... I have issues worrying about muggings and such too... So is the con 24 hour even though it isn't in a hotel? o.o Also, any of the rest of you who are flying there, anyone ever come in for Thursday? It seems like it would suck to miss part of Friday because of your flight and then finally getting your hotel room that afternoon.

Rinoa1022
12-26-2003, 11:15 PM
im taking a train in and going on thurs. i dont wanna miss friday so ill put up some extra money lol. itz also my first year thou so i dont know much about hotels either hehe.

Hikaruchan
12-26-2003, 11:25 PM
For the close hotels (~ block away) - think recommended ones would be Days Inn, Holiday Inn and Hyatt. I have heard some bad things about Sheraton. Con rates are usually gotten for Days Inn and Holiday Inn. Otakon doesn't deal with the Sheraton anymore - so on your own there. Hyatt usually doesn't deal w Otakon either, so no con rate so they can charge more for rooms.

CapsuleCorp
12-27-2003, 12:17 AM
I would totally be up for coming in on Thursday, especially if I road trip. So an extra night of hotel for me, too. Whee. Anybody up for joining me?

Scortia
12-27-2003, 11:21 AM
My God, can't believe they're already starting to sell out... Definitely calling Days Inn or Holiday Inn today.. thanks for the help!

UnwantedKikyo
12-27-2003, 05:23 PM
well Im hoping I can go....since im only 14 I either rooms with someone or my dad just stays in the room ^_^'' he also cleans it!! haha..but I would be up with rooming with someone what about it capsulecorp? which hotel u planning on staying in?

Rinoa1022
12-27-2003, 07:44 PM
lol theres a thread on roomies and we really need people hehe. and itll prob be from thurs-sat night meaning we leave on sunday. anyone wanting to share post there!! hehe i wanna book it soon but we need a few more people thatll prob be going :)

CapsuleCorp
12-28-2003, 06:33 PM
Okay thanks Rinoa, I'll go look.

Kikyo, dunno. I've never been to Otakon before so I know absolutely nothing about the hotels in the area. And how would your dad feel about you rooming with someone twice your age? :)

UnwantedKikyo
12-30-2003, 02:59 PM
He wouldnt care at all....for katsu im rooming with people that are 22 and up (tora and that posse) hehe so he surly wouldn't mind!! I just gotta save save save money ^_^ I havnt been to otakon either but I've called hotels plenty of times to get prices and such for rooms.

AlikNyankoChan
12-31-2003, 11:27 PM
Called Days Inn earlier today and reserved my double beds for july 29th through august 2nd at 127$ a night for 4 people...and no trouble doing it, regardless of nothing being on the otakon website:P

Better to reserve sooner rather than later:P

~Alik-Nyanko

Scortia
01-01-2004, 10:40 AM
Did they ask you how many were staying in the room? O.o I wasn't asked and now I have a feeling we'll get one big Queen bed or something. Oh well... OTAKU PILE-UP! :P

AlikNyankoChan
01-03-2004, 12:28 AM
Yep, they asked me. Make sure you ask specifically for the double beds(or whatever you want) and if you'll have 4 people(or more...) make sure you tell them. Otherwise you will likely end up with a king or queen bed. Also you should make sure to request a smoking room if you or your friends want to smoke in the room(or the opposite, if you don't like the smell).

Whee..8 months away....

~Alik-Nyanko

touma
01-05-2004, 12:20 PM
for anyone who reserved a room for thursday at the holiday inn did you get the Otakon rate for $127 or was it more?

AlikNyankoChan
01-08-2004, 11:37 PM
Hoilday Inn has always costed more than Days Inn, so it wouldn't be 127$ a night regardless. They'll give you the con rate for the surrounding days, so long as you're staying that weekend and you tell them the appropriate rate code.

~Alik-Nyanko

touma
01-09-2004, 12:24 AM
My bad, I meant days Inn. dont know where the heck I got holdiday inn from (is embarrassed :dunce: ) sorry.

evaunit01berser
01-09-2004, 03:24 PM
My bad, I meant days Inn. dont know where the heck I got holdiday inn from (is embarrassed :dunce: ) sorry.

not even supposed to be reserving yet

AlikNyankoChan
01-09-2004, 03:38 PM
It looks as though Days Inn has sold out, according to one of my friends who tried reserving the other day. But rooms sometimes open up. I'm glad I managed to get one when I did...hehe ^^

~Alik-Nyanko

touma
01-09-2004, 04:34 PM
It looks as though Days Inn has sold out, according to one of my friends who tried reserving the other day. But rooms sometimes open up. I'm glad I managed to get one when I did...hehe ^^

~Alik-Nyanko
I already reserved for friday and saturday but was thinking it might be better to go a day early to settle in and get my badge before the extremly long friday prereg line. oh well i guess ill call and check when i get home tonight.
Thanks

not even supposed to be reserving yet
Just because you didnt reserve yet doesnt mean others cant. Nobodys stopping you from reserving.

Scortia
01-09-2004, 07:15 PM
and if you wait until the website updates there'll be no close hotels left. ;p

CapsuleCorp
01-09-2004, 07:36 PM
ACK! So much for getting a room on my own...time to start shopping for roommates again. :)

AlikNyankoChan
01-10-2004, 02:41 AM
touma, usually friday and saturday night sell out first....I'm pretty sure you can get a thursday or monday night, easy ^^

You could even go wait in the extremely long thursday night pre-reg line, if you're staying thursday night allready.

CapsuleCorp, just try calling some of the area hotels, even if days inn is sold out there's still Holiday Inn, The Raddisson and even the Marriot in close range. Spots open up at the days inn once in awhile this early on too ^^

~Alik-Nyanko

touma
01-10-2004, 02:54 PM
touma, usually friday and saturday night sell out first....I'm pretty sure you can get a thursday or monday night, easy ^^

Thanks, I'll give them a call today and see what they have.

You could even go wait in the extremely long thursday night pre-reg line, if you're staying thursday night allready.
~Alik-Nyanko
Are the lines really that long on Thursday too? That was kind of one of the reasons I wanted to go on Thursday ("sighs" I think Ill go anyways)

ACK! So much for getting a room on my own...time to start shopping for roommates again.
CapsuleCorp if your really in need of a room I would be happy to share since it will probably just be me. I was going to post for room mates when it got closer to con time :)

CapsuleCorp
01-10-2004, 07:30 PM
LOL cool! Yeah, I did advise someone else shopping for roommates that openings would likely pop up like weeds when it was much closer to con time. I don't like to wait, though, if I need to plan how many days I'm taking off work to make big road trips like this. I've been asking around but so far no one has actually taken the step to book a room or say "I have space, you want to join me?", so yeah, if you're cool with that, I'd be happy to. I'm pretty normal as otaku girls go and I'm 29 (or will be by the con) so you're all safe with me. If you plan to try to expand your reservation to cover Thursday night too, I would definitely be in for that!! I'll be road-tripping from Wisconsin, and it's always nicer to arrive the day before the con starts to get some rest and get your registration early, even if the line IS long. But hey, what else is there to do?

(besides finish that last-minute hand stitching on that costume you should have finished weeks ago...)

touma
01-10-2004, 07:51 PM
Yea im definaltaly cool with that its always more fun to have other people with you instead of being by yourself.and its a plus that your closer to my age than some others (is 23)

UnwantedKikyo
01-10-2004, 09:36 PM
Capsulcorp u can room with me!!!! Im probbably having yuffiebunny(lauryn) in there too from the room raiders/cosplay on MTV haha and my friend patrick he's perverted but its all cool if he says something whack him...I do it all the time ^_^ hehe but u can room with me I think were staying at the Sheraton or the Hyatt...I think Hyatt there REALLY nice but expensive but its cuttin down the cost with the people rooming with me. hehe

touma
01-11-2004, 01:41 PM
CapsuleCorp if your staying with me I just booked the Days Inn for thursday too :)

UnwantedKikyo
01-11-2004, 01:54 PM
isnt everyone basically gettin there thurs.?? I do that at like every con it helps a bunch! ^_^

touma
01-11-2004, 02:02 PM
Cant say if everyone is getting there on thrusday (though it seems like thats the case) I usualy end up going on Friday and completly missing the opening ceremonies by waiting in line (I finally got smart this time ;)).

CapsuleCorp
01-11-2004, 06:59 PM
Okay, touma, I'm in. Absolutely. :) Thanks! We'll have to PM and stuff and collaborate, make sure we're on the same page. Granted, there's lots of time, but planning to go to Otakon just a got a lot easier for me.

Thanks for the offer, UnwantedKikyo, but it sounds like you have quite the full room already. I wouldn't want to intrude. And I'd kinda wanted the Days Inn, a lot of people sound really happy about staying there.

evaunit01berser
01-13-2004, 12:14 PM
yall sitting here gloating and boasting and then trying to act like its my fault not getting a room or waiting for the website to post it.

guys you really need to go to the otakon boards and check what mess you caused.

its too late this year but now otakon has to take steps for otakon 2005 to give everyone a fair chance of getting hotels instead of one board advertising "oh yeah so and so has otakon rates" and everyone going for it.

yall just made it harder on the staff that volunteer to bring you this convention each year by being impatient and paranoid

as far as me not jumping the gun to get a room at these so called "otakon rates" the saying comes to mind "good things come to those that wait"
worked for me every year

Hikaruchan
01-13-2004, 01:24 PM
Wah, wah, wah. We heard your rant the first 20 times. There are plenty of other hotels besides Days Inn - so chill out. Last year when the Days Inn was sold out when I wanted in, I just got a room at another hotel - no big deal.

And since the contract is in Days Inn system even if supposedly not completed (supposedly) - it is not hurting Otakon or attendees as it is counting into Otakon room block - which is a good thing. Now if people were reserving all the rooms not using the name Otakon but instead using AAA or the like, that would be bad as wouldn't help Otakon block.

Akiko Ki
01-13-2004, 04:20 PM
I would hate to tell ya but you know people well still do it any way so you saying it dose not reall matter much but I really don't want this to turn into a rant board so ya. Any way I don't think it hurts Otakona t all cause we are buying regualr romms really or at least I am.

ainslye
01-13-2004, 09:39 PM
We do have the Days Inn this year, but last year we were at the renaissance, which was niiiiice. It's a bit further of a walk, but not very far, definately doable and quick. So the Days Inn isn't the only thing out there, there are a ton of hotels, all within easy walking distance.

Akiko Ki
01-13-2004, 09:56 PM
Hey ainslye I stayed at the same hotel last year went with my friend cause I just got back from my 2 week trip to disney the same dayw e got back at like 2am on Thurs. So I was unable to even go home at all for like 3 weeks very tireing. I do think it is a bit of a walk but a nice hotel no the less except all the other people there for the Wedding looking at us funny :: laughs ::.

Ryouko
01-14-2004, 11:43 AM
The same happened to me last year as well. When we missed the Days Inn, we simply reserved at the Holiday Inn instead. Those who are complaining about us reserving early need to chill, and find somewhere else to stay.

evaunit01berser
01-14-2004, 04:26 PM
yep it dosent hurt otakon at all. hence them taking steps against it. so next year too bad wah wah wah

Hikaruchan
01-14-2004, 05:36 PM
Actually I have been expecting for Otakon to post info last week, as the only hold up I can see on the contracts is maybe for tax purposes they were waiting to buy the staff rooms til financial new year. If that was the case, should have been done last week.

From having been a reviewer of our cons hotel contracts (nominated for con chair several times), Otakon hotel contracts shouldn't be even a third of the hassle that con in hotels have to go through. Otakon wouldn't have to deal with the following pitfalls:

Drawing up totally new hotel contracts (they have been using same hotels for years so no problem there as already have template)
Planning hotel exhibit hall space usage (Otakon doesn't have to do this as nothing runs in hotels)
Unionized setups (again Otakon doesn't have to do this as nothing in hotel)
Catering (again Otakon doesn't have to do)

So, only thing they need to do is set the room block they are to fill and at what price, and the sliding scale of penalty if not all rooms sold. I have known cons to have that kind of contract drawn up in a couple of days (aka overflow hotel contract) .

Bahzi
01-14-2004, 07:54 PM
*nods* Thank you Hikaruchan, I had a feeling it wasn't nearly so complicated as the Otakon forums would make it seem...honestly I don't know what the hold up is either...Otakon should have had it posted forever ago, those rates have been available for months at a couple hotels, it sounds like someone was slacking. So, what cons do you work for? I don't think I've ever heard you mention it before. ^_^

Hikaruchan
01-14-2004, 08:14 PM
*nods* Thank you Hikaruchan, I had a feeling it wasn't nearly so complicated as the Otakon forums would make it seem...honestly I don't know what the hold up is either...Otakon should have had it posted forever ago, those rates have been available for months at a couple hotels, it sounds like someone was slacking. So, what cons do you work for? I don't think I've ever heard you mention it before. ^_^

Have worked at following cons
ChaosCon (co-ran anime track)
MTAC (director/senior director/nominated potential conchair since 2000 -> which I always beg out of as I value my sanity)
Animazement (panelist)

KuroBara
01-15-2004, 02:51 PM
Touma- you should get the $127 on Thursday as well. EvaUnit- Didn't you leave the thread? There's absolutely no need to create unecessary drama here on a thread about reserving rooms. Otakon staff has said nothing here (and I know several of them are members here). Unless you've been appointed Otakon hotel rep or some such thing, please shush.

Historically, the Days Inn is always first to sell out since they're so cheap. This is nothing new, I believe Holiday Inn has the next cheapest prices, but go check for yourselves. And, you can try calling back once in a while to see if anything has opened, this does happen.

*nods* While I don't have as much experience as you Hikaruchan, I have worked for I-Con and it does sound like someone dropped the ball with hotel information here. I remember reserving the Days Inn on Dec. 8th 2002 for the 2003 Otakon, I don't understand why it's already a month later than that this year, and they've posted nothing about hotels.

touma
01-15-2004, 06:30 PM
Touma- you should get the $127 on Thursday as well
Yea, i was able to get the 127 rate for all 3 days when i called and booked

evaunit01berser
01-23-2004, 05:53 PM
no i will not shush and the problem why otakon is taking so long is because the rooms they needed are booked. i love being told to shut up but im not the gulliable one being scammed here. now maybe all the AAA and other discount people are legit fine for them...but all these "i got the otakon rate" people. N-O....again i will tell you go check the OFFICIAL otakon boards

as far as hikaruchan. when she is staff of otakon i will consider her experience. otherwise it means nill

Stueypark
01-23-2004, 11:51 PM
I'm sorry Eva but at this point your taking your own problems out against everyone else. What did anyone do that was wrong? It's not illegal to book hotel rooms for a convention before a convention says so. If Otakon can't therefore get a room block for the Days Inn oh well, there's another 4,500 hotel rooms within 1 mile of the BCC most of which aren't sold out.

Just take away a lesson from this that if you want in certain hotels you have to book early. That's what everyone else did after the Days Inn sold out after 12 hours being listed on Otakon's page last year. If we're doing something wrong then write an email to Otakon's hotel contact (which is listed on their site) and post his reply about how evil everyone else been.

CelesDragon
01-24-2004, 09:08 PM
Stu's point is exactly how I feel about it. Yes, I already have rooms booked in Holiday Inn. Do I feel bad about it? No. I learned my lesson the VERY hard way by having to get a hotel out by the airport one year. At this point in time, Otakon should be well informed that people are booking under the contract even if its not "finished". If they have a problem with people using that discount before they announce it, all they have to do is tell the hotel NOT to let people use it! Therefore, as Otakon is letting the hotel book people under the contract, it's free game. It's not being "mean", it's being "smart".

And as a side note - Otakon always has the worst luck in their choice of weekends. Con-goers are ALWAYS competing in the past for hotel rooms against other cons that were sharing the center at the same time and the many sports games that were held at the two stadiums next door. Not to mention it's a tourist area anyway! Hotel space is always going to be a premium in the Inner Harbor.

evaunit01berser
01-25-2004, 09:21 AM
I'm sorry Eva but at this point your taking your own problems out against everyone else. What did anyone do that was wrong? It's not illegal to book hotel rooms for a convention before a convention says so. If Otakon can't therefore get a room block for the Days Inn oh well, there's another 4,500 hotel rooms within 1 mile of the BCC most of which aren't sold out.

Just take away a lesson from this that if you want in certain hotels you have to book early. That's what everyone else did after the Days Inn sold out after 12 hours being listed on Otakon's page last year. If we're doing something wrong then write an email to Otakon's hotel contact (which is listed on their site) and post his reply about how evil everyone else been.

know what cool ya want to automatically assume i have problems thats cool...should have know the boards here where screwed up anyway when i saw bunta_boy's post in playstation magazine

touma
01-25-2004, 12:56 PM
evaunit01berser-you seriously need to chill out and stop harassing everyone who tried to or has booked a hotel for the con, you've told us your opinion enough times and while i'm all for voicing your opinions this is just getting ridiculous its the same thing over and over and its really getting annoying. If you read the tread title this is for posting about rides and roommates not to argue over who is right and wrong. sorry for the long rant but i had to say it.
back on topic- I have about 5 people sharing a double room with me do you think the hotel will allow that?

Stueypark
01-25-2004, 02:24 PM
ONLY 5? So long as you don't tell the front desk they won't care, and I have a feeling they already know. I don't think they mind until rooms start getting into ludicrously large groups of people. I've heard of many more than 5 sharing a room so you all should be fine. :)

KuroBara
01-25-2004, 08:09 PM
*nods* last year all of the Day's Inn cots were taken, they know extra people are there. As long as you don't draw attention to your room (being very noisy) you'll be ok.

Bahzi
02-08-2004, 02:35 AM
The hotel staff are awesome usually...confused, but awesome...theres always room for more...hell, I've got 3 rooms booked...one at days inn, one at holiday inn, and one at the hyatt...because I wanted to make sure all my friends have rooms...not because I'm selfish...grow the hell up people! Learn to share greedy! Anyone who can't find a room just look for me...you're welcome to stay with me...^_^ lighten up!

Akiko Ki
02-09-2004, 08:23 PM
Stu's point is exactly how I feel about it. Yes, I already have rooms booked in Holiday Inn. Do I feel bad about it? No. I learned my lesson the VERY hard way by having to get a hotel out by the airport one year. At this point in time, Otakon should be well informed that people are booking under the contract even if its not "finished". If they have a problem with people using that discount before they announce it, all they have to do is tell the hotel NOT to let people use it! Therefore, as Otakon is letting the hotel book people under the contract, it's free game. It's not being "mean", it's being "smart".

And as a side note - Otakon always has the worst luck in their choice of weekends. Con-goers are ALWAYS competing in the past for hotel rooms against other cons that were sharing the center at the same time and the many sports games that were held at the two stadiums next door. Not to mention it's a tourist area anyway! Hotel space is always going to be a premium in the Inner Harbor.

Hey I agree with you there I also had to get a hotel far away last year I not complaing cause hey I got to go to the convention but this year I would like to be closer. Ya your right about it being smart but then agian if we where to wait it would be far to the rest then agian I did not want to risk it this year and booked early V_v. ^_^ but hey I got to stay really close so I don't mind adn you can't yell at me cause I did not take the Con rate cause I thought it unfar there can't yell at me. oh ya I am also staying at the Holiday Inn CelesDragon

evaunit01berser
02-12-2004, 08:21 PM
wyndham im told is sold out. i got some extra rooms though so if ya still looking for space i got lots