PDA

View Full Version : CC-30 (2012) Programming

Gravely
05-11-2011, 01:48 PM
Greetings all.
Well, with the success of CC-29 now in the books, we all start thinking about the next one.
CC-30 in Phoenix AZ May 11-14

I have been asked to do 2 things for the con.

1st to be head of programming. I will be assisted by Ciera Peterson who has worked on and headed many southwestern cons, and will be shadowed by Aurora Celeste, head of programming for CC-32 in Toronto

Feel free to ask or suggest topics and /or teachers ( yes, even yourself) to us here or thru a PM

2nd, I have been asked to be the 'speaker to cosplay.com' for the con.

of course you can always ask any questions and I hope anyone with answers does answer as well. I am NOT in anyway, the only voice here.

When I was a con chair for cc-27, I was on here at least every other day to answer questions, give advice, and promote costume con. You rewarded me and my co chair Marty Gear, with one of the best CC's ever, with a huge showing from the cosplay crowd, both american and foriegn.

I hope that can be the case with this next cc as well. please feel free to ask anything about the con here, and if I dont know it, I will get you the info asap.

Trixy says CC is known as secret con, I would like to help change that

you may also if you like, join the cc yahoo group. its not that active, but many folks who aren't on cosplay.com, are on that
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CostumeCon/

von Drago
05-11-2011, 03:36 PM
Absolutely!
Ask questions - answers will be obtained!

Having the cosplayers around adds to the fun. CCs are very different from anime cons but if you love costuming you will love Costume-Con.

stardust462
05-11-2011, 04:23 PM
I kind of agree with Trixy that Costume Con is a "secret" con, as in I don't think most cosplayers know what it's all about. I think a lot of them may be intimidated by the long tradition and skills of its attendees. I attended CC 27 and 29 and had a blast both times, learning a lot and seeing so many amazing costumes.

I think it's important to get cosplayers interested in attending Costume Con now, that way they can plan ahead and save money so they can attend in addition to their usual anime conventions.

I can't wait for CC30, especially because I've never been to Arizona. The hotel and surrounding area look amazing.

For panels, I'd like to see some about working with materials to make armor and props. Things like fiberglass, sintra, styrene, other types of plastic, etc. Maybe another panel about wood and the different kinds you can use for props, and costumes too. Also, I wasn't able to get to them, but I liked seeing the panels on sewing machines and machine feet. I'd like to see those again and hopefully be able to attend. I just wish I had a time turner to attend all the different panels there are at Costume Con.

supergeekgirl
05-11-2011, 08:04 PM
I'd like to see some more advanced construction panels instead of the discussion panels about the basics of costuming that were most of the panels this year. For example, I'd really like a panel with demonstrations of resist dying (batik and the like) or heat stamping pile fabrics.

By the way, my husband and I would very much like to do a panel on the costumes of The Wild Wild West (as in the costumes of the TV show). Would that be, in any way, possible? We'd like to talk about the materials, show some close-up picks, talk about what some of the pieces ere called, and show some clips form the show where the costumes are in use.

Buddycat
05-11-2011, 11:10 PM
These are great ideas, but I will caution that the demos mentioned are difficult to do because they involve making messes, or are smelly. Also, any of these more advanced techniques would pretty much necessitate they be demoed by local(ish) people, because the further away panelists are, the less likely they're going to want to schlep materials with them.

Of course, if you can encourage panelists to bring handouts, that would be much more useful than just talking about them, or saying, "look at my laptop". At the very least, a sheet of webpages people can look up later would be good.

As for CC being a "secret con", it's not for lack of trying that many of us have made efforts to let more people know about it. Part of the problem is there is no "centralized command" for CC, because each one is is run by a different group, thus no continuity. Promotional efforts vary in effectiveness, depending on who's in charge. There's also the distance factor, because the con moves around each year.

It has been our experience that the highest concentration of people at CC wind up living roughly a day's drive to the con's location. The rest are the veterans that attend every year. Some committees don't like to hear that, but once you start analyzing your membership data, it's what bears out pretty much every time. Of course, once a new costumer comes, they're hooked. :toothy:

Also, most people who go to anime cons and/or live in on the West Coast believe they pretty much have all they want - why should they leave their favorite venues to go elsewhere? Fortunately, it sounds like the Canadians have managed to get a better percentage of people in their region to look beyond that.

As for the intimidation factor - I get that. But we all started out (well, most of us) with less sophisticated skills. Not everyone is a "Master Costumer" (a complete misnomer), but I'm not sure how to combat that.

supergeekgirl
05-12-2011, 10:17 AM
There's another issue I saw crop up quite a bit this year. We've been talking about it on Facebook. A lot of cosplayers came this year for the first time and thought it was terribly boring.

The reasons cited are these:
1. They are used to non-stop programming and a lot of people in the hallways to boot. CC has a break in the programming for dinner and no outside programming options during the masquerades. I'm not saying that this should change just that, when advertising to cosplayers, we need to be conscious of this difference. Many of them thought this would be a con for showing off their cosplay in the halls and complained to me (apparently because I am in the same age group) about the lack of people taking their pictures. This obviously wasn't everyone, but the complaint came up from at least two separate cosplay groups who were there.

2. There are a lot of CC in-jokes. This actually bothers me a bit too. If we're going to have "entertainment" (aka a funny emcee or a play during the social), it needs to be accessible even to us n00bs who don't know what happened at CC8. A few little in-jokes is fine, but this con in particular seemed to thrive on it. To some of the people who had never been, it almost seemed like the jokes were there to make them feel young and stupid.

3. Again with the cosplay culture differences. Many cosplayers were encouraged to come thinking it would be a cosplay-centric convention only to find that they were actually insulted regularly by some attendees simply for having anime-based costumes. I know Dawn has a bit to say on that too. There's a big difference in the costuming culture of cosplay which I saw several panels covering at CC (yay!), but one of the biggest is that cosplayers EXPECT to have lots of pictures taken, AND they expect to pose in character. It took me a little getting used to at CC28 when photographers wanted detail shots rather than poses. You know, now that I'm talking about it, I kind of feel out of place in the fact that I dress up most of the time while at CCs because many of the costumers don't wear hall costumes. I feel like I'm being laughed at as a n00b.

TL;DR - Cosplayers are still feeling out of place at CC because the con is being marketed as just another con with more of a costuming focus. That's not really what it is. Perhaps we should find a different way to explain it to cosplayers so that they don't feel out of place or get bored?

Sarcasm-hime
05-12-2011, 01:34 PM
I've never felt like I was being laughed at or looked down upon for wearing hall costumes at CC....? People were insulted for wearing anime costumes? That's the first I've heard of it and rather disturbing.

von Drago
05-12-2011, 01:49 PM
Maybe this needs to be a seperate thread? Misconceptions about Costume-Con & what cosplayers should expect?

I also find it disturbing & somewhat hard to believe that someone would be insulted about their costume, of any kind, at a CC. Where on FB is this discussion?

stardust462
05-12-2011, 01:52 PM
1. They are used to non-stop programming and a lot of people in the hallways to boot.
I think the layout of the hotel didn't help with this at all. At CC27 in Maryland there was that huge open lobby area with lots of place to sit, see all the different costumes, and hang out and meet new people. This hotel was very disjointed with the most of the panels in one part of the building, and all the tables and a very tiny lobby area in another part.

2. There are a lot of CC in-jokes. This actually bothers me a bit too. If we're going to have "entertainment" (aka a funny emcee or a play during the social), it needs to be accessible even to us n00bs who don't know what happened at CC8. A few little in-jokes is fine, but this con in particular seemed to thrive on it. To some of the people who had never been, it almost seemed like the jokes were there to make them feel young and stupid.
I felt this way too, though I didn't feel . I guess I'm kind of used to it because when I go to my ICG chapter meetings there's always a lot of reminiscing about the past and old stories, but there's also explanation to go with it. My mom and I were talking about the con on the way home (she came to CC27 also) and we think there needs to be some element to the con that makes new members feel like they're not outsiders, because sometimes I did feel that way (my shyness doesn't help with that either). I don't know if the CC Virgins panel on Friday covered anything like that

3. Again with the cosplay culture differences. Many cosplayers were encouraged to come thinking it would be a cosplay-centric convention only to find that they were actually insulted regularly by some attendees simply for having anime-based costumes.
That's not cool. I've been trying to get more of my friends to attend Costume Cons and join our local ICG chapter for a few years now, but they're always apprehensive. Things like this don't help.

I didn't get any insults from my costumes, in fact I got a lot of compliments from the ones I wore.

TL;DR - Cosplayers are still feeling out of place at CC because the con is being marketed as just another con with more of a costuming focus. That's not really what it is. Perhaps we should find a different way to explain it to cosplayers so that they don't feel out of place or get bored?
Exactly. I've always felt that the ICG and Costume Con has been very welcoming to cosplayers and encouraging of them. I know when I joined my ICG chapter at Arisia (Boston sci-fi con) in 2008 they were very excited to have a cosplayer join.

supergeekgirl
05-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Maybe this needs to be a seperate thread? Misconceptions about Costume-Con & what cosplayers should expect?

I also find it disturbing & somewhat hard to believe that someone would be insulted about their costume, of any kind, at a CC. Where on FB is this discussion?

It's on the page of a guy I met at CC. Several people were talking on that page who had gone for one day and been bored, so I chimed in to explain that it's not meant to be the same sort of convention as they're used to.

And please don't shoot the messenger, here. I just know the people who were complaining will probably never post anything about it directly on here.

I did see one "insult" specifically which was that the woman in the wheelchair (don't know her name) at the ICG meeting said something about opening things up to anime characters. Beyond that, it was just hearsay from the people I met saying that they changed out of their cosplay outfits because they got insulting remarks. It could very well be exactly the sort of thing I mentioned at the meeting, though - people taking their characters VERY seriously and simply finding it insulting that others didn't know the characters.

von Drago
05-12-2011, 03:36 PM
And please don't shoot the messenger, here. I just know the people who were complaining will probably never post anything about it directly on here.

I did see one "insult" specifically which was that the woman in the wheelchair (don't know her name) at the ICG meeting said something about opening things up to anime characters. Beyond that, it was just hearsay from the people I met saying that they changed out of their cosplay outfits because they got insulting remarks. It could very well be exactly the sort of thing I mentioned at the meeting, though - people taking their characters VERY seriously and simply finding it insulting that others didn't know the characters.

Not shooting anyone - where did you get that idea? How can we see what needs to be fixed (or not) if we don't know what people are saying?

As for the incident you mention - I think you may have misunderstood. She wasn't discussing cosplay or anime costuming, she was talking about the drawn characters themselves under the specific circumstance being discussed at the meeting. Without going into the totally dull details it had nothing to do with conventions or convention costuming.

But taken out of context... well, we all know that happens.

It definitely bothers me that some folks felt insulted. Probably all about perception on both sides, huh? I don't think anyone would say something deliberately insulting (maybe, but I hope not) but may not have realized what it sounded like. Or on the receiving end, maybe they over-reacted - as you said. Sad really.

supergeekgirl
05-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Not shooting anyone - where did you get that idea? How can we see what needs to be fixed (or not) if we don't know what people are saying?

Just preemptively saying it because anything that makes one of our community sound bad could easily start a flame war.

But everything said, I would have preferred less in-jokes. That was what I heard the most complaints about all weekend, and I agree that it was alienating. The emcee did it constantly, and a few are fine, but it was A LOT of the masquerade emceeing.

trixyloupwolf
05-12-2011, 06:45 PM
move to the other tread ^^

von Drago
05-12-2011, 07:00 PM
Okay, I've started a new thread to discuss CC similarities & differences so Gravely can have his thread back about programming for CC30.
Does anyone know if individual posts can be moved over or will we have to re-iterate/copy some of what we've already said?

trixyloupwolf
05-12-2011, 07:12 PM
move to the other tread nya!!

von Drago
05-13-2011, 07:51 AM
So the initial problem is that workshops or demos require more supplies for the presenter to haul (with no gaurantee of attendees) & messy situations for your venue. They also usually take more time & require audience participation but can be fun.

Just talking or talking with some examples & handouts can be dull but informative.

So we need a mix of each, what percent seems reasonable?

supergeekgirl
05-13-2011, 11:49 AM
I'd also suggest people who can't bring the huge messy stuff do video or PowerPoint how-tos instead. Or just bring a sample.

As for percentage, I think panels should be about 50/50 discussion panels and how-to panels, but not all how-tos have to involve actually doing the work there. Examples can be shown, or, like I just said, process videos and photos can be shown. For example, a how-to on building wing mechanisms can have diagrams on what works and what doesn't rather than just saying, "I made some cool wings once," and talking about how great it is when people can make wings that move. The fabric painting/dying panel had that problem this year. It was a lot of, "Looky at my pretty dying," and no real talk about how to use things like resists (which were what I really wanted to know about and which were listed in the panel description). Also, Trixy's painting portion was pushed to the very end though that was incredibly informative on how to use a stencil properly on fabric.

trixyloupwolf
05-13-2011, 02:47 PM
waa thanks ^^ happy for the feedback i was not sure if people tough it was still alright for my kind of first timer pannel ish thingy ^^::

but thanks next time ill try to be better right ^^

friendly
trixy

von Drago
05-13-2011, 07:19 PM
Since cosplayers expect more photos how about actually scheduling a time & place (maybe with backdrops or in a pretty area of the hotel) for folks to show up & pose or take pics?

CC26 had a couple of scenic backdrop areas set-up - I saw some activity. Lots of hotels have nice ballroom lobbies or something scenic nearby outdoors?

Sarcasm-hime
05-13-2011, 09:14 PM
I think backdrops and/or scheduled photo ops are a GREAT idea and would help break the ice for newbies. :)

trixyloupwolf
05-14-2011, 12:13 AM
i like the idee too ^^ sound nice ^^
nya!! wish i could go next year too =-= nyaaaa!!
anyhow yeah for newbie thingy and yeah for my super friend i love you all ^^

it so fun wonder why not much more people go hehehe!!
it like try me (the convention) youll want more (to go always for everrr) ^^ hehe

u2ecila
05-14-2011, 10:03 PM
Hi,
I went to CC27 in MD, and I am looking forward to CC30 in sunny Arizona!

I enjoyed the range of classes with handouts and hands on activities at 27, and I liked how it had the big open space for gathering. CC definitely has a different feel from Dragoncon and the anime cons I have been to like otakon and sakura con. It's an older crowd (as in not all teenagers ;) ), and the classes are small and intimate. The level of knowledge and expertise in the lectures was absolutely outstanding!

Anyway just wanted to say I am looking forward to going next year and I can't wait to see what's in store!
Cheers,
Alice

Buddycat
05-15-2011, 12:09 AM
I think backdrops and/or scheduled photo ops are a GREAT idea and would help break the ice for newbies. :)

Provided they're not just getting photos of just themselves. That's where I think the cosplayers can help introduce a new element by getting the vets involved.

supergeekgirl
05-18-2011, 11:02 AM
Programming idea dump (I don't think I'm qualified for most of these, but here they are to stand as ideas for others):

Patterns Demystified - Where do patterns come from? How do the people who draft patterns know where to put the curves? The markings? Am I even reading this thing correctly?
(This idea comes from a conversation I overheard while waiting for judging. A woman was asking another about how people drafting patterns know what each piece has to look like to fit it together.)

Craft Foam Armor - Learn to build comfortable, flexible armor from sheets of craft foam.
(Some of the Canadians had amazing pieces built from craft foam this year, and it's truly a wonder product! It shapes with heat, takes glue and paint quite well, and can be finished in a variety of ways to look like leather, metal, or wood. How do you do it, though?)

Faux Finishes with Paint - How do you make that plastic or foam look like wood, metal, or leather?
(We had a time trying to figure a wood grain painting style out for PVC tubing a while back. A panel on this would be awesome!)

A Plethora of Pockets - The seam pocket, the double welt, the slit. How do you make flaps? We'll show you how to pin, cut, and sew some of the most commonly-used pocket styles.
(I could possibly be on this one, but I'm not qualified for all pocket styles.)

That's all for now. I'll add more when I think of them.

von Drago
05-18-2011, 12:04 PM
Programming idea dump (I don't think I'm qualified for most of these, but here they are to stand as ideas for others):

Patterns Demystified - Where do patterns come from? How do the people who draft patterns know where to put the curves? The markings? Am I even reading this thing correctly?

Craft Foam Armor - Learn to build comfortable, flexible armor from sheets of craft foam.

Faux Finishes with Paint - How do you make that plastic or foam look like wood, metal, or leather?

A Plethora of Pockets - The seam pocket, the double welt, the slit. How do you make flaps? We'll show you how to pin, cut, and sew some of the most commonly-used pocket styles.

Ooh - good ideas! I have some vague notions about each of these but would find them very interesting.

For the pattern one - if you could get one of the pattern company reps (say Andrea Schewe) they could probably explain some of the math & science behind that.

trixyloupwolf
05-18-2011, 02:37 PM
(We had a time trying to figure a wood grain painting style out for PVC tubing a while back. A panel on this would be awesome!)

aww shoot i could have tell you ^^::
sunday at the futur fashion folio i had foam look like wood ^^
i had not bring them to the pannel i kinda forgot cause its painting but not on fabric haha!!

=-= nyaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

supergeekgirl
05-18-2011, 04:33 PM
aww shoot i could have tell you ^^::
sunday at the futur fashion folio i had foam look like wood ^^
i had not bring them to the pannel i kinda forgot cause its painting but not on fabric haha!!

=-= nyaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

If only you were going to be there this year! This would be a great thing for ANYONE at CC to learn. Chances are that there are very few who have done ALL of those types of finishes, but with a good group of people who know each one well, it could be an amazing panel.

Gravely
05-18-2011, 05:00 PM
that faux finish one sounds really good. Between trixy and most of the Castle Blood crew, we actually have done all of those finishes. professionally even LOL, plus stone, marble, malachite, aged metals etc...

Making a def note on my list for this one.( not that I want to do it myself, I just think its a new topic of large interest)

and keep the ideas coming, and feel free to pm me here, or write me at gravelymac@yahoo.com with ideas that you might want to discuss

trixyloupwolf
05-18-2011, 10:41 PM
iam trying to get money to go =_=
trying hard ^^ by bus it be less expensive =_= but lonely =_=''''

but iam trying ^^so if i manage to have enough to go i sooooo going nya!!

supergeekgirl
06-01-2011, 10:23 AM
A few more panel ideas:

Care and Keeping of Vintage Clothing - How do you keep your vintage clothing collection safe? If you wear a piece from it, how should you launder it?

Climate and Traditional Costume - How does the climate of a country determine its traditional costume and what is appropriate to leave uncovered?

Woodworking for Beginners - What are the basic tools you need to start woodworking? Learn about carving, burning, and finishing for someone who has never worked with wood in costuming before.

Efecss
10-02-2011, 02:00 AM
May I make a suggestion for something. Either to show at a panel. or display at a table in the hall...

I have quite a collection of cosplay video magazines (Not adult) and a lot of COSmode magazines. I had a party room when CC was in San Jose, and displayed them in the room, but no one knew I was having a party room. People just found it by accident..

So, what is the reaction to showing them.

trixyloupwolf
10-04-2011, 12:01 AM
i would love to see them ^^
i have a couple at home too like just 2 or 3 magazine of cosplay ^^
i love watching other costume hehe<3<3<3
if not a party magazine it always fun to look at them in the nigh party thingy during the con<3 or in the consuit would be a super choice too nya!!^^

Efecss
10-04-2011, 09:37 AM
I'll make a suggestion about it. I am not going to hold a party room, because I may be traveling with several other people. But I'll suggest a table space for viewing.

---Suggestion made, just waiting on an answer

alpha_helix
10-28-2011, 07:06 PM
Panel idea: costuming with recycled materials. I know at least that I'm interested in both saving a few bucks and putting old stuff to good use, and with the crappy enconomy and increasing concern for the environment, I bet I'm not the only one. If there's anyone out there who has the expereince to host such a panel, I think this could be a great one!

von Drago
12-26-2011, 10:22 AM
Any progress with programmnig? I think that's been turned over to Aurora, yes? Is she on these forums?

trixyloupwolf
12-26-2011, 11:58 PM
if i can help on some pannel just ask me ^^:;;
we never know nyuu!!
hug!

supergeekgirl
12-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Any progress with programmnig? I think that's been turned over to Aurora, yes? Is she on these forums?

All I've heard is that she is, in fact, putting both of my requested panels (Costumes of the Wild Wild West and A Plethora of Pockets) on the schedule. Last I heard about programming. I had to get that by emailing her specifically about it. I never got anything like a response to my requests back in September when I first sent them.

But it does seem like things are coming together a bit better now.