PDA

View Full Version : Goldy's Akihabara Armour Construction Workshop

-Edo-
05-28-2011, 10:05 AM
This thread is for any cosplayer out there who wants to come down and visit Goldy's Akihabara Armour Construction Workshop. We get together at least once a month and I will keep all meeting related information in the original post here.

If you have any Goldy related questions please post them in this thread. If you're thinking of coming down for the next get together or there are any change in plans let us know here too.

Links:
Youtube Channel (http://www.youtube.com/goldymarg)
Goldy's Web Page (http://gadgettool.web.fc2.com/indexE.htm)
Workshop Information and Location (http://gadgettool.web.fc2.com/school01E.htm)

Next Workshop Date:
May 3rd, 2012 PM1:00-6:00
(the time and date on Goldy's web page above takes precedence)

For any further questions or if you want to confirm a meeting time, you can send Goldy an e-mail. Click on the "Workshop Information and Location" link above and you can find his e-mail address there.

mixaka
05-28-2011, 10:39 AM
So, these workshops are a monthly thing? I will be in Nagoya June 11th but would definitely be interested in attending a workshop in the future.

-Edo-
05-28-2011, 10:53 AM
Yep, they've been monthly for a while but the information was only up on his site. People voiced interest last week so its probably the easiest place to collect information here.

People have also been wondering how to get urethane and 2 way enamel for construction so we can discuss that here too. We usually set the date for the next meeting when we meet up so the July date will be decided after we get together in June.

gixxer
05-28-2011, 11:53 AM
do have it in august as well :) .. i missed the one before WonFest ..

-Edo-
05-28-2011, 12:44 PM
do have it in august as well :) .. i missed the one before WonFest ..

We should be having one then too, we'll have to see, maybe the same weekend or the next weekend after Comiket.

CelestialShadow
05-29-2011, 01:11 AM
Im coming! Just let me know what time and where in tokyo.

-Edo-
05-29-2011, 05:09 AM
Im coming! Just let me know what time and where in tokyo.

OK, check the map in the original post, its about a 5 minute walk from Akihabara station, I'll get in touch closer to that time to meet up somewhere. There is usually 5-10 people there so introduce you to everyone and we'll usually go for a bite to eat after so if you've got some time come on out.

CelestialShadow
05-29-2011, 10:57 AM
cool, okay I just looked at the workshop add. Do we have to work on the automail or can we bring out own projects? I dont have an armor need right now but I`d like to come and just hang, socialize and maybe bring one of my smaller projects to keep my busy.

-Edo-
05-29-2011, 11:57 AM
cool, okay I just looked at the workshop add. Do we have to work on the automail or can we bring out own projects? I dont have an armor need right now but I`d like to come and just hang, socialize and maybe bring one of my smaller projects to keep my busy.

Sure, come down and just hang out, you don't have to work on automail. See what everyone is doing, you may not have any ideas when you come down but may think of something while you're there. Otherwise you might think of a character that needs a weapon or some armor that you could use as a project for the next time.

RookBartly
05-31-2011, 11:09 PM
I'm there. I have a few projects. I need to make a helmet from Macross. Need the info on getting supplies.

-Edo-
06-01-2011, 09:32 AM
I'm there. I have a few projects. I need to make a helmet from Macross. Need the info on getting supplies.

You can see the basic tools he uses on Goldy's web page, you might want to wait until we meet up to determine what you want to buy and what you may already have. He can get you the urethane and can point you in the right direction to pick up the 2 way enamel.

Shockro
06-09-2011, 10:31 PM
I've never been to anything like this before but I'm sure I'd really benefit from it, so I'd love to go!

Is there any need to sign up or anything or should I just show up at the alloted time?

-Edo-
06-10-2011, 10:06 PM
No sign up necessary just leave a message if you can make the next workshop and we can go from there. We are meeting in Akihabara today at 2:30 if you can make it.

Shockro
06-10-2011, 11:45 PM
I can meet up at at 2:30 easily today!

Are you meeting at the building or somewhere closer to the station?

-Edo-
06-21-2011, 08:49 AM
I can meet up at at 2:30 easily today!

Are you meeting at the building or somewhere closer to the station?

Good to see you there Shockro! Thanks for coming out CelestialShadow and hubby, RookBartly see at a future workshop. Keep an eye out here as I will update the workshop meeting each month.

The next meeting is on July 2nd at 1pm. (the location for the June 25th date listed on Goldy's website has been moved to Tsukuba, Ibaraki) I will not be able to be there on July 2nd as I'm going to be at Japan Expo that weekend. I'll update the original post and you can find directions and information on Goldys web site. If you have any questions please send Goldy an e-mail, you can find the address on his homepage (http://gadgettool.web.fc2.com/school01E.htm) too.

RookBartly
06-23-2011, 12:15 AM
I'll try to be there on the 2nd. I might be a bit late if I can't get someone to cover for me at work that day.

gixxer
07-01-2011, 01:19 PM
any workshop around 17th onwards ? I changed my plan. I will be flying off there at 14th but will kinda busy looking for a place to stay for the first few days . after that it will be two weeks of getting my new armor by WCS :lost: . i can get material here .. im stuck .. :bigcry:. would be nice if i can learn new ones before that time :toothy:

RookBartly
07-01-2011, 04:52 PM
I might be able to make it. I'm going to be stuck at work untill about 1600 (4pm). I am hoping I might be able to get out early...

Tsumanne
07-01-2011, 08:48 PM
I'll definitely swing by a workshop in the future (I need to make armor/helmet, but don't know how lol), but I already have to be in Akihabara today for my university. We're doing a small Akihabara tour for university students from overseas who are visiting this summer to study Japanese popular culture and to a lesser degree "Otakudom".

I need to pay closer attention to the forums so I can spot opportunities like this earlier. It would have been nice to have possibly arranged for the tour to swing by the workshop for about 5 minutes to show foreign university students the high levels of craftsmanship found in the Japanese cosplay scene.

-Edo-
07-30-2011, 08:46 AM
Hey all, this is totally last minute but Goldy is going to be down at the Akihabara workshop on Monday August 1st so if anyone wants to come down send him a message on his e-mail or give him a call. The WCS representative team from Holland will be there too so you can meet up. I wont be in on the Monday but I am thinking particularly of Gixxer who has come in from Malaysia get in touch with Goldy and he can show you around.

gixxer
07-30-2011, 04:49 PM
owh man .. edo .. im sorry to tell you but im not in Japan at the moment .. i had to went back malaysia asap a few days ago. i only will be back on 4th august..

-Edo-
07-31-2011, 03:07 PM
Ah, thats too bad, well Goldy will be in Nagoya so you guys can meet up and we'll see if he can open things up during the weekend of comiket. Its usually pretty crazy though. When are you staying until again?

Shockro
08-02-2011, 12:33 AM
DAMN! I missed the workshop on monday! I should've kept myself updated.

Well I'm here in Japan again for the month of August so please keep this updated if anything else happens, I'd love to see yourself and Goldy again, Edo. I had a lot of fun last time and it was really helpful.

-Edo-
08-15-2011, 07:28 AM
OK, had a chance to get a day of rest after WCS stuff, really glad to see everyone that came out. We will be returning to our regular programming with Goldys workshop and the next meeting time will be <September 3, 2011 PM1:00-6:00> as you can see at the top of this thread. If you want further information please check the OP and feel free to send questions to Goldy or myself.

We can have a meeting time with everyone at the Showa Dori exit of Akihabara station or as Shockro proved last time it is navigatable with the map that Goldy provides on his web page.

Sorry about the Monday workshop Shockro, it was scheduled in the last minute so kind of tough to work out. Put 9/3 in your schedule.

Shockro
08-18-2011, 12:00 AM
Haha, its alright Ed!
Hopefully I can make Sept. 3rd, it is all up in my schedule!

-Edo-
08-18-2011, 03:05 AM
Nice, think of something that you would like to start working on, a prop or a weapon is a good start!

gixxer
08-19-2011, 02:51 AM
3rd september ehh .. sounds good. see ya there !

jiraiya2point0
08-25-2011, 07:56 AM
hi Edo, I just started watching goldy's armour tutorials. any chance when you do another set of vids you can do really extensive tutorials. I'm making kamen rider armours from craft foam and camping mats.

would any contact cement like weldwood be good on vinyls?

gixxer
08-27-2011, 10:12 AM
Its next weekend ! anyone else here coming ?

-Edo-
09-02-2011, 12:23 AM
There will be a bunch of people there Gixxer, give me a call, do you have my number? If not I'll PM it to you.

jiraiya2point0> Thanks for the message! We are working on the Evangelion series right now and the next few videos will be on that. The adhesive that we are using is called "G10Z Bond" in Japan, it's a quick drying bond. I'm not sure what the best adhesive is outside of Japan but we can get this at any size hardware store like Tokyu Hands or Kahma here. The main use for G10Z is to attach wall covering to drywall in houses. If you go to a large hardware store in your area and ask for that kind of an adhesive they will be able to help you out.

Ideally you could make it out to Goldy's workshop in Tokyo, that's the easiest way way to learn the building techniques. We find however detailed we make the videos there still are questions, its easiest to talk directly about specific questions.

shiroro
09-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Aww I found your youtube channel and saw you were having workshops in Tokyo but it looks like I missed this month's. I'll be in the Tokyo area until the 5th of October. I hope you can have another session sometime cuz I'd love to learn your magic of constructing awesome cosplays!

gixxer
09-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Shiroro , then u are in luck .. next one will be in 1st October. see u there i guess :)

shiroro
09-20-2011, 12:15 AM
Oh boy I hope I can find the place. Also I randomly peeked at the site and it was listed as October 15th? Did the date get pushed?

-Edo-
09-28-2011, 09:28 AM
Hey all, just talked to Goldy, the next workshop will be on October 15th. We had originally planned for this weekend but TGS plans pushed things back a bit. If anyone wants to buy PH9 urethane or an anything to get started Goldy will have a bunch there.

See you then!

RookBartly
10-10-2011, 09:24 PM
I'll be a few late but I will be there. I need to start that Eva...

-Edo-
10-13-2011, 12:51 PM
Yep, I'll make sure he brings the patterns.

-Edo-
10-20-2011, 11:08 AM
Missed you on the weekend RookBartly! Sounds like you had some work? The next workshop will be November 20th :)

Arale~
10-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Yep, they've been monthly for a while but the information was only up on his site. People voiced interest last week so its probably the easiest place to collect information here.

People have also been wondering how to get urethane and 2 way enamel for construction so we can discuss that here too. We usually set the date for the next meeting when we meet up so the July date will be decided after we get together in June.

Hello. :) I've seen your videos on YouTube and I want to say thanks for sharing your knowledge with us. I'm not in Japan, but I am one of those people that would like to know how to get the urethane and 2 way enamel as well as the adhesives to go with it. I'm looking forward to more videos!

-Edo-
10-30-2011, 07:57 AM
Hi Arale~! For materials the best and cheapest thing to do right now is to go local, there should be 2 way enamel in a large fabric shop near you, for the urethane there are lots of options like foam material similar to that found in a yoga mat or some of those connectable flooring pieces for kids. Otherwise Wonderflex or craft foam works too. We have a couple videos on the way so when Goldy gets back from England we'll be putting one out. Thanks!

mixaka
11-02-2011, 09:25 PM
I would like to attend on the 20th! But, I don't quite get what I should do or bring..... Do I need to have some project to work on and bring my own materials?

-Edo-
11-17-2011, 12:42 PM
I would like to attend on the 20th! But, I don't quite get what I should do or bring..... Do I need to have some project to work on and bring my own materials?
Nope, just come on down and check it out! We'll be there from 1pm, there is a map to the workshop on Goldy's webpage.

mixaka
11-17-2011, 11:12 PM
Great! I'll be there around 1 then. I'll give you a call if I get lost, but hopefully I can manage myself.

-Edo-
11-19-2011, 05:52 AM
Sounds good!

-Edo-
11-26-2011, 10:39 AM
Good to see you out mixaka! Put together what you can for the weapon you'd like to create and we can get to putting it together next month. We will be having the next workshop on December 10th.

mixaka
11-26-2011, 12:55 PM
I'll be there ^^ Though I may have to skip on dinner again. T.T Forgot about plans I have that evening in Otsuki.

-Edo-
12-24-2011, 07:50 AM
Sorry Mixaka, missed you at the last one, or did you come earlier? I arrived pretty late.

Next workshop will be on January 14th. Goldy hasn't yet changed the date on his web page, I confirmed the date with him though, if there is any change I will post it here.

We will be meeting up at Comiket on December 31st and going to dinner after so if anyone is up for that let me know.

mixaka
12-27-2011, 02:30 AM
I had to leave around 5:30 for an enkai. I'll be there on the 14th and will be able to stick around afterward for foods and drinks this time!

-Edo-
12-28-2011, 04:08 AM
Sounds good, I must have just missed you!

-Edo-
03-01-2012, 09:13 AM
Next construction workshop will be held on March 3rd, check out Goldys web page for details.

mixaka
03-05-2012, 11:22 PM
Dang, I missed the meeting. TT

-Edo-
03-06-2012, 08:31 AM
I'll PM you mixaka.

-Edo-
05-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Next workshop is this weekend on May 12th. Starting at one, check the OP for details. I moved to Tokyo last month by the way so can hang out more!

mixaka
05-08-2012, 08:19 PM
Yay! I already have plans to be in Tokyo for the Lady Gaga concert this weekend! I'll have to leave early but I can stop by~

-Edo-
05-23-2012, 03:16 PM
message removed

mixaka
05-25-2012, 04:06 AM
I know! You guys pick such horrible dates. I thought I could make the last one as I was in Tokyo, but things just didn't work out. I'll try make it out on the 2nd~