PDA

View Full Version : Laughing Octopus

abitmelancholic
05-30-2011, 05:14 PM
Hey!
So there's this group MGS my friend suggested and I would really love to make Laughing Octopus. I know how to make the bodysuit and I have a wig already, but I was thinking of trying to make those tentacles.
I know it'd be hard and I probably could only manage a shoot with them and not a con, but would it be possible to find wire or something that could keep its pose and hold me up? I thought if I could make two tentacles create a base and a third go around my back so I can lean my elbows against it and hold myself up long enough for a few shots.
Something like this: http://oi55.tinypic.com/9glsid.jpg
(Red, blue, purple and green being different tentacles and the yellow bit being a terribly sketched person) The red would be one support, the pink the other, then the blue would be the armrest that goes behind me so I can keep myself up. The green I could maybe make pose-able or another support.

Is there any wire that could keep me up like this? Or should I go for something stronger? I'm 120 lbs and 5'4" if that makes a difference.

Laughing Octopus Reference: http://images.wikia.com/metalgear/images/d/d3/LaughingOctopusMGS4.jpg

rj_sosongco
06-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Putting wire in the tentacles to make them poseable is plausible, but I doubt you'll find any kind of wire strong enough that you could lean on when posing for photos. You could possibly fake "lean" on them during shoots, but the only way those tentacles would support your body weight would be if the were stationary, free-standing, and immovable. Unfortunately, those would require substantial sturdiness and/or weight. This isn't even assuming you'd be off the ground, either.

If you want to give the illusion of you being off the ground, I came up with a solution involving a bar stool to build a "tentacle chair". Since the tentacles all come out of a harness attached to LO's back, you can build the harness as part of the back of the chair, and hide the legs of the stool using a 2 or 3 tentacles (like the red and purple ones from your sketch); then, you've got 1 or 2 that can be more flexible/poseable (like the green and blue), which you can manipulate during the shoot, wrap around yourself, etc. The bar stool will give you a sturdy, pre-built place to be up off the ground, and you'd be able to still get out of the "tentacle chair" for any non-tentacled photos. The only drawback is that it's not very movable, so you'd probably only be able to use it for photoshoots, not walking around a convention (though, if you used a ROLLING chair, like an office chair, you could possibly roll around on that).

rj_sosongco
06-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Here's an image of what I'm talking about. The red and purple tentacles cover the legs of the stool, the green is a flexible tentacle for posing, and the blue forms an armrest (it could also be another flexible tentacle) to wrap around yourself. Hope this helps!

For a more movable version, check out this Octopus cosplay:

http://www.cosplay.com/costume/166214/

abitmelancholic
06-01-2011, 10:50 PM
Woah, thanks! That's a brilliant idea!! And it saves me so much in trying to construct stuff :D