PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody commission oc?

waterlotus12
06-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Have you made up your own character from your all time favourite series? Maybe you've even made a fanfiction or something. Main point is, maybe you want to cosplay them and aren't very good at sewing/making cosplay. So what do you do? Does anybody commission an oc? Are ocs common in cons? Has anyone EVER cosplayed an oc? These are the questions that need answering!!!

RickyFromVegas
06-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Plenty of people have done Original Cosplays at cons.
You won't get the recognition for being a certain character, but it usually attracts curious attention from passer-bys.
Just like the anime/manga counterpart, you can get them commissioned ONLY IF you have the full design ready.
Full front, back, side images, color of your clothes, etc.

But if you're getting OC commissioned, I wouldn't complain about the inaccuracy once you get your hands on it.

Stormraven24
06-01-2011, 04:04 PM
This subforum (http://www.cosplay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=186)should answer your qustions ;)

CapsuleCorp
06-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Back in the day I used to get a lot of commissions for people's fandom OCs - Jedi/Sith mostly. But I've never gotten a purely original character design, no.

That's not to say I wouldn't personally welcome one. The real issue is, can you draw and do you know how clothing goes together? Many commissioners, unless they have experience, won't take a completely original design because they can't guarantee that the person can accurately draw their design and communicate how they want it to go together. It's one thing to just say you want a plain shirt, a certain color pants, and a jacket that might have a patch on it...but if you're talking about something you designed out of your own brain with your own ideas how it would work on the character, you have to be able to clearly draw and/or communicate that design to the commissioner. They may visualize it being made with a certain pattern, or put together a certain way, but you may have a completely different concept of the pattern and design, and so if wires get crossed, you're going to end up with a costume you don't want because it didn't turn out like you envisioned - and yet the commissioner can say "well that's what you told me you wanted/what the drawing looked like."

If you can't be really concise with your commissioner and go back and forth with them on your ideas, negotiating every last little detail, it's going to be a lot harder to get that costume commissioned. It can be done, you just have to find the right person.

roguesc
06-30-2011, 01:57 PM
capsulecorp has a very good point, you would want to commission from someone with design skills or experience, or have them yourself to work out the kinks before they make it. I mainly do OC versions of characters, so if you'd like to talk it over with me, I'd love to help.

sephygoth
07-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Has anyone EVER cosplayed an oc?
This is an OC thread, how are you asking this question? Don't people look around or do leg work anymore? mmm leg work....

I do MAINLY OC's, but not what you may think. Define OC:

It's not just any OC if it's from something, then it's more original design, and not even that in my opinion, if you're using the theme of the characters in series(like naruto "headband"). I gotta step in here to define that, doing original stuff for so long? yeah, I hate it when ppl call my stuff cosplays when it's not, it's just a costume sometimes, I wear original stuff, I'm not wearing a "play" at that point, that's stupid.

"OC" is very deceptive, some think it means original ; costume,character,cosplay. Original cosplay is kind of a contradiction in itself given the fandom, doesn't help define exactly what YOU did that could be respected differently, most ppl respect completely made up stuff more than the inspired OC from other series. It's as if no one can make up anything anymore nor notice differences between what exists and what a person themselves can do on their own.
I make a big deal out of it, because it is a big deal, copyrights have been placed on my music,drawing,sculptures,costumes, and ideas. I work for a research and development company where if you say you have an original idea from _blank institution___ you better be original in every dam way. Entertainment is no different, MC hammer, Vanilla Ice, samplers, etc they either make money based off it being original or make money based off their sample or cover.

Less of a rant, and more of a report, to fill you in on the deal. Sometimes I'm a cosplayer, sometimes I'm an artist. I agree the line is too grey unless you live by diversity and it's celebration of differences.

Spiritman
07-31-2011, 04:00 PM
I have my own superhero i cosplay as constantly im thinking my next local con ill finish my first issue and give them out for free