PDA

View Full Version : Figuring out pant size?

Celia Rose
06-02-2011, 01:40 AM
I wasn't sure where to put this, so I apologize if it's in the wrong section. "Orz

I'm currently putting together my S.M.S. uniform (http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn204/GN004Nadleeh/largeAnimePaperscans_Macross-Fronti.jpg) for Sheryl Nome, and I finally found the perfect pair of pants (http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?searchCID=68131&vid=12&pid=840524&scid=840524012). :'D

However, they're men's pants, so I have no idea what size to purchase in order for it to sit properly on my hips without a huge gap. The pants would be worn unzipped like in the reference photo.
Waist: 29-1/2 in.
Hips: 36 in.
Length: 31 in.

Help please?

RickyFromVegas
06-02-2011, 02:04 AM
Well, on the regular section, there is a size 29 or 30 waist.
For example, I wear pants size 32, and my waist is about 33.
I wear pants low, but if you get 30 or so, it should be fine?
Why don't you go to any clothing stores and try out men's cargo pants for good measure?

MommaUrsa
06-02-2011, 02:10 AM
Conversion Chart (http://www.ehow.com/how_5174361_convert-mens-clothing-sizes-womens.html)
Everywhere that I've read says the same thing. Add 21 to your women's pant size.
Although, old navy has that EXACT color in women's pants, they're just not cargo pants. Do they have to be cargo pants?
If not, here's the link:
Boop (http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=7520&vid=1&pid=595183&scid=595183312)

SingingRobot
06-02-2011, 02:10 AM
I have worn men's pants for cosplay before. Looking at your measurements, I'd say get the regulars in the 29 waist with 30 inch length. When zipped, guy's pants tend to fit pretty well on the girl "waist is significantly smaller than hips" figure. But when unzipped, they tend to open wider than your hips and fall off kind of easy, hence getting the smallest waist possible. You will probably have to take it in around the hips regardless of the size, especially if you feel they are falling off of you when walking, but 29x30 is probably your best best to start with. Hope that helped.

And as RickyFromVegas said, trying on men's pants at a store beforehand would be a good idea.

Kelley
06-02-2011, 04:14 AM
The standard waist-hip drop for men's pants is 6".

I have a 23" waist and 36" hips. I always get a size 30 in men's pants and they fit and stay on without even taking in the waist (though I will if they have adjusters). With a larger waist they should fit even better.

You could get a 29 if you wanted a tighter fit on the hips - 30s are always comfortably eased for me.

I never use conversion systems - I always go by measurements. For instance, I wear a size 3 in Women's pants at the largest - and adding 21 only gets me to a size 24 in men's and that would NOT fit my hips. I'm an 8.5 in women's shoes and a 7 in men's, and a 6UK. That also goes against "conversion" methods I've heard - I just go by the actual numbers and have always gotten a good fit.

Go by the hips - that's where it has to fit. You can take in the CB seam to get them to stay on better (especially if unzipped), and you might have to rig something, anyway, to get them to stay on like that.

Celia Rose
06-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the feedback, guys! :)

Well, on the regular section, there is a size 29 or 30 waist.
For example, I wear pants size 32, and my waist is about 33.
I wear pants low, but if you get 30 or so, it should be fine?
Why don't you go to any clothing stores and try out men's cargo pants for good measure?
I'll be doing that this weekend, for sure. :)

Conversion Chart (http://www.ehow.com/how_5174361_convert-mens-clothing-sizes-womens.html)
Everywhere that I've read says the same thing. Add 21 to your women's pant size.
Although, old navy has that EXACT color in women's pants, they're just not cargo pants. Do they have to be cargo pants?
If not, here's the link:
Boop (http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=7520&vid=1&pid=595183&scid=595183312)
Yup, according to the S.M.S. uniform design. http://www.zerochan.net/153347 Thanks for the chart!

The standard waist-hip drop for men's pants is 6".

I have a 23" waist and 36" hips. I always get a size 30 in men's pants and they fit and stay on without even taking in the waist (though I will if they have adjusters). With a larger waist they should fit even better.

You could get a 29 if you wanted a tighter fit on the hips - 30s are always comfortably eased for me.

I never use conversion systems - I always go by measurements. For instance, I wear a size 3 in Women's pants at the largest - and adding 21 only gets me to a size 24 in men's and that would NOT fit my hips. I'm an 8.5 in women's shoes and a 7 in men's, and a 6UK. That also goes against "conversion" methods I've heard - I just go by the actual numbers and have always gotten a good fit.

Go by the hips - that's where it has to fit. You can take in the CB seam to get them to stay on better (especially if unzipped), and you might have to rig something, anyway, to get them to stay on like that.
I see. So, so the size 30 pants fit you well on the hips? (We have the same hip measurement, yay!) If so, that gives me a pretty solid direction for when I go to try on pants myself. :)

Garen
06-02-2011, 04:19 PM
Oh Sheryl... Also, I think I own those pants.

You're a little bit smaller around than me, and I wear size 30. Men's pants sizing is your waist measurement minus an inch or two depending on the brand (yes, men have vanity sizing, but it's not nearly as bad as women's), and cargo pants are baggy enough that you probably don't need to worry about your hips.

But this would be assuming that you're going to be wearing them properly. I suggest getting a size or two smaller, waist-wise, so they won't simply fall back down when you put them on. You might need to go to the boys' section and try things on. Men's pants generally don't go smaller than size 28, and boys' sizing is by estimated age rather than measurements.

I'm not sure where to put this either, honestly.

Kelley
06-07-2011, 01:39 AM
Most women absolutely cannot go by waist size with men's pants. Women typically have a much more dramatic hip-waist drop than men's pants are designed for. If a woman with typical proportions bought men's pants according to her waist size, the hips would be wayyyy too tight and she might not even be able to get in them.

Some who have straighter figures can - but I would always urge you use the actual numbers instead.

Even boys' sizing is still based on measurements. I mean, the garments physically exist, don't they ? The major difference is that they will be cut shorter and shorter as the age is younger. You can still find measurement charts for boys' sizes, and I have found they are fairly similar across brands. You always want check, of course.

I think that if you're wearing them open and don't need them to give you a manly silhouette, go with the 29. You might have to nip in the back for them to stay on while open - but you could use a clip or safety pins for this if you don't want to sew. Taking in the back should get them to stay on even while open (though after altering them like that, they might not be able to be worn closed).