PDA

View Full Version : FX Wands (Harry Potter)

Snow_White
06-02-2011, 08:32 PM
I am trying to make a set of dueling wands that look alittle more realistic then those big chunky plastic dueling wands online. I have figured out how to use little LED lights but what I want to ask is if anyone might know how to do another FX? Like blow air or "smoke". I am open to suggestions.

THANX!

Eudaemon
06-02-2011, 08:50 PM

verdatum
06-02-2011, 09:04 PM
Often, those sort of special effects are done by rigging tubing up through the clothes, and then just being careful as to just what angles are shown to the audience.

Now if you want a really good effect, rig the wand up to a big-ass Tesla Coil. Then you can shoot real lightening bolts. Just make sure the bolt travels to a proper ground so you can avoid, well, killing someone. Have Fun!!!

Snow_White
06-02-2011, 09:04 PM
I wonder if a miniature smoke machine could be created out of an e-cigarette? It vaporizes whatever is in it, but it doesn't release the vapor until it is sucked on. You'd have to be able to get the e-cig out to refill it (and probably frequently).

Other than that, the smallest fog creator is bracelet sized and looks complicated to make:
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=112874

oooOH I didn't think of that! And thanx for the link! I am not very fluent with electronics but I will read through it!

Snow_White
06-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Often, those sort of special effects are done by rigging tubing up through the clothes, and then just being careful as to just what angles are shown to the audience.

Now if you want a really good effect, rig the wand up to a big-ass Tesla Coil. Then you can shoot real lightening bolts. Just make sure the bolt travels to a proper ground so you can avoid, well, killing someone. Have Fun!!!

Yeah I figured that I can rig things up my sleeve. I just need help figuring out the whats and hows.