PDA

View Full Version : Jean Grey/Dark Phoenix costume

ministrychick77
06-03-2011, 12:17 AM
ok. i've decided to go as phoenix for halloween.

now my question is this:
which would be better to do?
buy a bodysuit and alter it or make everything from scratch?
i have some experience sewing, but not a lot.

i'm also gonna be putting together my boyfriend's Wolverine costume..

sociologies
07-03-2011, 11:54 PM
Buying a bodysuit and altering it would be easier, because making a full-body spandex costume (from four-way stretch spandex, at that) and the chest emblem is something that even intermediate costumers have trouble with.
Depending on your budget, you can commission from individual sellers (excellent quality, but more costly because of the labor and materials involved) or from sites like Cosfun (erratic quality ranging from great to mediocre to sub-par, but very low price for what it is)
What would be better to do? I've seen great results from both methods, so it's up to you and what you have in mind, in the end.

ikearstin
10-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Depends on your skill level, as well as dollar.
As a seamstress, I vote make it from scratch. It's incredibly cheaper. I have three premade Phoenix suits I got before I started sewing, and I've altered them since. Already in the works to remake them entirely, but Phoenix is such a popular thing right now, I prefer making suits that aren't :)

If you're not comfortable with making it completely yourself, buy a premade, and alter it. If you have a serger, make sure you use this as they're best for spandex.

I know Halloween is already this week, but any progress pics? Did you end up doing this? Good luck!