PDA

View Full Version : Changing in Weight and Cosplay.

Nine
10-24-2002, 04:19 AM
I'm starting to really lose weight. It's getting really good and all that stuff, but bad cosplay-wise.

I fitted myself and cut out the fabric for my Lulu costume in the Summer. I weighed around 240lbs then. After finishing the costume and wearing it to a convention in October (2 weeks or so ago) the costume doesn't fit me. I weighted myself after the convention and I was 220lbs. I dropped 20 lbs from when I measured myself for the costume. Sure, I can put see through straps onto the costume to hold it up no problem, but it's starting to become very loose. I had to walk around the convention with my shoulders high and my arms partially out to keep it from falling down! XD Is there a way without destroying the costume to make it smaller?

My eating and exercise habits are much more improved than they use to be and I'm noticing that I'm losing weight.. In 6 months I am hopinh to wear my Lulu costume to Sakuracon as my main one, and unless I stay at my weight now, or gain weight (I HOPE I DON'T!), I won't be able to wear the costume. I could allways make another one... :thumbsup: heh..heh.. yeah right XD

Has anyone ever experienced weight problems with costumes you've made? (losing weight, or gaining it.)

Jibrille
10-24-2002, 08:09 AM
YES! I've been loosing weight since the end of last school semester, and both of my FFTactics costumes involve form fitting dresses. So i keep having to go back in and tightening up the seams.
Knowing i was loosing weight, i made sure to make them in a way i could shrink them if need be. Seam on each side, zipper in the back.

Keurblitz
10-24-2002, 08:23 AM
Nine:
Hm... i f you lose a lot, and I do mean a lot of weight (under 180lbs) you can make a new costume. The good part is, is that you wouldn't be spending as much cash on fabric. even if you have to make a new costume, I can only assume that you can just remake the top part of the dress and sew the bottom part of your old dress on to the new top. ^_^

kelldar
10-24-2002, 09:17 AM
I am trying to lose weight too ><; Everybody keeps telling me I'm crazy to do it but I've put on ten pounds over the past year!! It's mostly in my thighs, and most of my costumes I want to do next year show off my thighs... so I gotta work on that and I want to get my stomach looking better.
Gads, I never had to worry about this as a teenager :P

Koumori
10-24-2002, 10:23 AM
Yes, I too have been losing weight (and yay for all of us, by the way!) I've been lucky so far in that all of my current costumes were designed to be worn while I was heavier, and they're not closely fitted - anything robe-like, I can just wrap tighter. I'm holding off on starting my Wedding Yuna dress until closer to the con I'm supposed to wear it at, though, since I have NO idea what size I'm going to be in April!

Hungryjack
10-24-2002, 11:38 AM
Congrats all and good luck over the holiday season.

engrish
10-24-2002, 12:03 PM
Just make a new costume! I wouldn't make alterations to loose fitting costumes b/c you never know when you'll gain the weight back.

Hikaruchan
10-24-2002, 12:06 PM
I have been stuck in retraining most of this year at work, which means I am tied to monitor during work and after doing my job, training exercises, labs and assignments - thus I put on weight this year. Most costumes I could figure out whether I could get into them or not. But, I took rosebride to DragonCon, but got a bit of a surprise trying to get top on. I had to majorly safety pin it across my chest so I wouldn't boob flash anyone. Much easier when loose some weight, as can still wear all the costumes - may just need to take them in.

Miaka No Baka
10-24-2002, 01:44 PM
I would just take in the seams but dont trim the seams at all! This way if you stay slimmer for only a month or two and gain it back during the holidays or whatnot you can just take out the new stitching and your old stitching would still be there so it'll fit ya ^_^; Just start by taking it in little by little until you get the fit you want. That's what I had to do to my CCS eps 4 pink battle costume. it's form fitting through the top and it flares out for the skirt. I lost weight and man at AX it looked rather loose on me when it was nice and form fitting at fanime. So I just took it in a bit left the seams alone so that way if I ever do need to take it out the extra fabric is still there ^_^;

Miaka no Baka

Dragoon Knight
10-24-2002, 01:59 PM
For me I stand at about 5'9 1/2" tall, and up til about Fanime and AX2002 I had weighed about 210lbs, and after AX, I got back into working out and eating right with the help of someone very special ^^. And it wasn't til SDCC that I noticed I had gone down to 180lbs. Even friends and co-workers at my ex-job noticed I had lost weight and complimenting that I look skinnier O.o I've actually noticed too that I've lost some weight...sometimes it's hard to notice self-improvements unless someone else notices ^^;

I had done some weight lifting in high school cause of sports, but it wasn't til cosplay that I had been losing weight..and I'm glad I did...and I'm still losing it ^^

scandia
10-24-2002, 06:37 PM
Well, I know that my case is not an extreme one, but I could stand to lose 10 pounds. I have to lose them or else I seriously risk diabetes. Most of my costumes would fit- and maybe even better after I lose the weight. There's one that is large sized (I bought the jumper for it hoping that someday my best friend could wear it too), but other than that they are all size 8-10.

Anyhow, I dunno how I am gunna lose 10 lb without extreme sacrifices :( I like to eat and stuff that is not so good for me, and I am too tired to go to the gym today.

Nine
10-24-2002, 07:08 PM
For me, I just don't have the urge to eat as much as I did before. I also refuse to eat any fast food (with the exeption of McDonalds when they have their chicken strips... lol) I once got nasty food poisoning from Taco Bell... I hate throwing up so I have a fear of food that I don't prepare myself lol.) It isn't due to any depression problems that I know off.. because I'm not depressed. I eat when I am VERY hungry.. (tummy rumbling). Mainly because I'm too lazy to get my own food when I'm in the house. I don't really crave many sweets anymore, and don't really care for junk food. When I do eat junk food though I feel really guilty (I had half of a Mr. Big yesterday and I was hitting myself lol). I believe that is from when I when I was seeing the doctor about my weight problem. He filled my head with healthy garbage lol... I also excersise more.. I para para dance non stop till i collaps (lol scary) and I go for walks more often, and enjoy being out. That's why I'm losing weight... I think the holiday season won't affect me because I survived Thanksgiving all ready... I didn't have much and finnished way before the rest of my family. It's not because I feel bad when I eat too much, I just don't feel like pigging out. *shrugs*

Tenjou
10-24-2002, 07:12 PM
I weighed myself the other day and I was 135. ;_; I was 110 in the summer! ;____; and I'm like.. five feet! O_O:::::

I'm gonna start working out though. Gotta get in shape! >D

(not just for cosplay, but dance and phys. ed can be a booger)

scandia
10-24-2002, 08:27 PM
5'4.5" here (5'5" when I wake up, 5'4" at end of day).

Current- 140 or so

Barometer- 134

Lowest I have been as an adult- 128 (was in a severe depression and barely ate).

People think I am skinny for some reason, but the truth is I wear a size 8 at my barometer. Worked out at the gym and did not eat much. Weaknesses change often but I am a total rat so my cholesterol is too high :(

Sakura
10-24-2002, 09:25 PM
I have that problem too... but then I chop my costumes in half and give them to my sister =^_^= (she's half my age and shorter) When I made a bunch of my costumes I weighed 156 (i'm 5'5" 1/2) and after Anime North I got down to 125 so... I currently have only 2 costumes that fit me ._. My other ones can't be mended.

Rosiel
10-24-2002, 09:49 PM
I guess I am lucky, I've been the same height/weight since High School, so I can still wear clothes from almost 10 years ago.

^___^

Karisu-sama
10-24-2002, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Rosiel
I guess I am lucky, I've been the same height/weight since High School, so I can still wear clothes from almost 10 years ago.

^___^
Like your new avatar, Ros. Interacts with the viewer more.

Ditto, almost. When I had the kids, I put some weight on that took a while to get off, 5 total yrs of breastfeeding notwithstanding. (Don't let anyone tell you breastfeeding takes the weight off fast!! They lie!) *Grrrr metabolism changes...* So when the kids got bigger, I finally found time to get back into martial arts...

Now I actually weigh more than in high school but I wear at least 2 sizes smaller (occasionally 3), because now it's muscle.

And I still wear clothes that I've had for over 20 years. (Gotta be careful how I wash 'em, so they don't fall apart! ;) )

Rosiel
10-24-2002, 10:36 PM
> Like your new avatar, Ros. Interacts with the viewer more.

Didn't think of it that way but I see it now... ^___^
This came out better than I thought!

> Now I actually weigh more than in high school but I wear at least 2 sizes smaller (occasionally 3), because now it's muscle.

Yup, that's what I tell a lot of my friends who whine about gaining weight when they exercise... the point is not the number, but what you look like!

> And I still wear clothes that I've had for over 20 years. (Gotta be careful how I wash 'em, so they don't fall apart! )

Good quality clothes last forever and a day, I've noticed!

Chosuke
10-24-2002, 10:36 PM
i'm losing weight too!
though its really easy since i'm lactose intolerant and sugary/fatty things make me dead sick.
Right now i'm 111 and 5'1 but i'm starting taichi,jiujitsu and Kobudo this week and am going to eat healthier balanced stuff! ^_^;;

Ayaka
10-24-2002, 10:59 PM
-_-;;; Okay starting to think I should be worried about my weight, the opposite way . . . I'm 5'6" and was UP to 112 last time I was weighed . . . in my clothes and shoes . . . _;;;; Though my doctors haven't really said anything, so . . . *shrug* I could definitely stand to work out though, since I'm not in physical therapy anymore and I could really use at least *some* muscles, lol.

Keurblitz
10-24-2002, 11:11 PM
Hey, we should start an Anime Fans Weight Loss program ^_^
LoL

Celine
10-25-2002, 12:07 AM
My my, isn't this a happy bunch! You guys don't all need to be losing/gaining weight. I'm sure most of you look just fine. ^^ A size 8, for example, isn't large AT ALL. I'm amazed that some people are near the same size they were in high school! I weigh about 30 pounds less... I donated all my clothing years ago.

Here is wisdom! Rosiel says, "the point is not the number, but what you look like!" Listen to her!

scandia
10-25-2002, 04:24 AM
I am a couple sizes less than high school. Back then I was 150 lbs and a size 12. I know, not obese by any stretch, but I look and feel better now plus am healthier.

Koumori
10-25-2002, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Celine

Here is wisdom! Rosiel says, "the point is not the number, but what you look like!" Listen to her!

And she's right.. for a teeny girl ;). Health-wise, I'm fine where I am, but I have to say, part of my motivation is looking better/more like my sources for costumes!

KuroBara
10-25-2002, 08:28 AM
My health is good, so I try to stop obsessing over weight. It's tough though, I mentioned in another thread I had issues with this in high school. The least I ever weighed was 112, and I'm 5'8". But honestly, I had no idea what I looked like unless I saw a photo. Now I'm around 140, a size 8-10, and I'm happy with the way I look. I remember being a size 2, and that didn't make me happy like I thought it would. I've been this size for about 4-5 years now, and it's right for me.

*nods* Rosiel put it best.

As far as resizing costumes, I have the problem of making mine too big to start with >_< Suzaku no miko could stand to be taken in, but I may be retiring that one. The HOLY jacet is also too baggy...damn...I'll work on my sewing skills first, lol.

kelldar
10-25-2002, 09:09 AM
heehee! me too rosiel, I have a pair of pants I've had since 6th grade that up until just recently I could still wear. Not that I'd want to, they were ugly ugly ugly but still :D
Holidays won't be a problem! I'm so picky that at thanksgiving all I eat is mac and cheese anyway! My sore spot is McDonald's and this place called McAllister's, who have these giant baked potatoes with lots of cheese on them... *drools*
Anyway ! I ride my bike everyday as I've always done but that doesn't seem to have much effect anymore. Mom is going to let me use her gym membership... 7 lbs to go! I need a fulltime cheerleader...

Chosuke
10-25-2002, 09:21 AM
I bike to school and back too.. though it only takes about twenty minutes.

Which is better for you?

About an hour of walking or 20 minutes of fast bike riding?
Also..I want to see if anyone is willing to take me up on a "challenge" which I might explain later if someone is interested ^^;

Keurblitz
10-25-2002, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Chobrat
I bike to school and back too.. though it only takes about twenty minutes.

Which is better for you?

About an hour of walking or 20 minutes of fast bike riding?
Also..I want to see if anyone is willing to take me up on a "challenge" which I might explain later if someone is interested ^^;

woo challenge? what challenge? (i'm gonna kick myself for doing this)

Rosiel
10-25-2002, 10:54 AM
> Okay starting to think I should be worried about my weight, the opposite way . . . I'm 5'6" and was UP to 112 last time I was weighed . . . in my clothes and shoes . . . _;;;;

You shouldn't! I'm about the same height you are (maybe 1/2 inch more) and I weight in at 110lbs, all dressed. ^__^ I do know some friends who tell me to gain weight but I eat what I like when I like it, I'm healthy and happy so I really don't care.

The point is, as long as you're healthy and comfortable with the way you look, no matter the number of the scale, everything is just fine.

Ayaka
10-25-2002, 01:29 PM
>You shouldn't! I'm about the same height you are (maybe 1/2 inch more) and I weight in at 110lbs, all dressed. ^__^ I do know some friends who tell me to gain weight but I eat what I like when I like it, I'm healthy and happy so I really don't care.

Yeah, I eat when I'm hungry, and stop when I'm not . . . so I guess I'm doing okay. ^^ Glad to hear it from you, though, I was like . . . ack.

> The point is, as long as you're healthy and comfortable with the way you look, no matter the number of the scale, everything is just fine.

Healthy? lmao. I wish. But not anything to do with my weight. ^^

Chosuke
10-25-2002, 06:11 PM
woo challenge? what challenge? (i'm gonna kick myself for doing this)

Well actually its more like a test.
You know how the daily intake of water is supposed to be like eight glasses? well I for one do NOT drink nearly eight.. more like one or two...And they say it really clears your skin and impurities from your body,also gives you a healthy glow and helps you lose weight.
What I propose is that a few people <who do NOT drink eight glasses already> take a before picture and then for maybe.. a month..maybe more..maybe less? drink eight glasses a day then another photo is taken for an after,just to say if there really are changes ^^..
I'm betting there will be xD

John Booty
10-27-2002, 11:46 AM
Man, everybody's losing weight! I was, too, but now I'm afriad I'll just look like a mindless trend-follower. I think I'll go gain 50 pounds just to be an original individual. XD

Keurblitz
10-27-2002, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Chobrat
Well actually its more like a test.
You know how the daily intake of water is supposed to be like eight glasses? well I for one do NOT drink nearly eight.. more like one or two...And they say it really clears your skin and impurities from your body,also gives you a healthy glow and helps you lose weight.
What I propose is that a few people <who do NOT drink eight glasses already> take a before picture and then for maybe.. a month..maybe more..maybe less? drink eight glasses a day then another photo is taken for an after,just to say if there really are changes ^^..
I'm betting there will be xD

eh..... um... hm... interesting.... I doubt anything would change though.... =P

Something Lulu
10-27-2002, 12:43 PM
I made plans to go to AX'02 when I was still in high school, but it actually occurred after my freshman year of college, and (of course) I had gained about 10-15 lbs. (Also losing all the muscle I had worked so hard for in HS.) So I did the really unhealthy lazy thing (pills) and tried to kick off 10 lbs by AX, and I think I managed. It also helped that I moved into my own apartment about a month before AX, which means that since then I've been losing weight, due to the no food/no money or time for grocery shopping/don't wanna cook problem. When I started school this semester all my friends commented that I lost weight, and when I weighed myself again (after 3 months) I realized I had gotten back down to my normal weight.

As it stands now, I'm somewhat okay with my weight, and I feel healthy because I try to watch what I eat and not consume so much junk (can't really afford to lol) and I also get some exercise in my every day life, even if I'm not visiting the gym.

A message to everyone: those pills they have out there may work, but they make you feel like shit and will really mess with your body, so just be careful.

-Something...Lulu

Kellie
10-27-2002, 12:44 PM
^_^ Congrats to everyone! @_@ I too am trying to get into shape. Probably why I'm hesitating on making costumes. But I can always adjust them.

:D Keep up the goodwork! Having positive motivation from people is always a great plus in trying to get into shape and lose weight.

Oshi
10-27-2002, 12:48 PM
I was 140 at the beginning of summer. By mid august, I was 130, thanks to DDR and swimming. Now I'm up to 135, but from the look of my body, alot of that is muscle... since I started karate and been DDRing my ass off...
And I don't hold back when eating. I eat til I'm full. Which is why with how fairly active I am, I'm not gaining or losing alot of weight u.u;

Something Lulu
10-27-2002, 01:06 PM
Actually, I have to say the only costume I had a problem fitting into, regardless of weight, was one I had made for me. I think the measurements got mixed up because when I received it the skirt was huge. (It was Skuld in her "regular" outfit with those big red buttons.) I just took the skirt in on both sides. It looks okay because the top part is long and covers most of it, and it's got a belt that I just tie very tight. I've been pretty lucky otherwise.

Oh wait, I just remembered. I bought a skirt for my Tifa costume, but I bought two black skirts at the same time, one specifically for the costume, and one just because I wanted a black leather skirt and I figured it could always double for Tifa if the other didn't work. Needless to say, the original Tifa skirt has never been worn and I haven't even tried to put it on in a long while. I love my leather skirt, though, and I get a lot of use out of it, not just with Tifa. (For instance, scaring family members on Christmas. They're gonna talk about me anyway, so why not give them something to talk about? :P)

-Something...Lulu

Famira Damaris
10-27-2002, 01:17 PM
Hmm...I know I'm in decent shape - I'm about 5'4'', 130 lbs, but there're areas I like to be thinner. I'm a swimmer, so I've got the build of one. ;_; Oh well. I love race swimming, even though I'm not that good. :P

I haven't really gotten any bigger/smaller, so I'm kind of in a blah state. ^^; I'm thinking of running in my free time to try to get into better shape. *L* I used to be on the cross country team a few years ago - I was the slowest person on the team. *sheepish grin*

Karisu-sama
10-27-2002, 03:55 PM
"Eight glasses of water" is a MYTH. Just like "Body temperature is 98.6" is a MYTH. (It's actually normally a bit lower - 98.4-ish -, and there's also a RANGE of average normal body temperatures.)

They never tell you how BIG those glasses are, do they either? 8 oz cups (no one's kitchen has glasses that small!), or 16 OZ "regular sized"?

The point is staying sufficiently hydrated, and most people do not. The body can function without proper hydration, but you'll be surprised how much better you'll feel and how much better your skin tone will be if you get it.

Advice: Drink throughout the day, ESPECIALLY remember to drink at meals (including at the start and during the middle - so many people eat all their food first and, then drink.) Pay more attention to your actual thirst level. Avoid sugary drinks, like sodas.

As far as weight, ppl, remember that your bone structure is also a factor in your weight. Two people of the same height may have a similar amount of "skinniness", but the person with the larger or denser bone structure will weigh more. Do not get underweight trying to match someone with a slighter bone structure! They may look good, but you will look starved and ill! Do what is best for YOUR body!

Gingerbread Man
10-27-2002, 04:40 PM
I...am six feet tall and weigh 180 lbs and that's where I'm going to stay. I have a thin layer of fat, but I want to keep it, it's useful during the cold winter months, and all the rest is muscle and bone. So I'm happy where I am when it comes to weight. but the other problem with me is water...I hate the taste of water and when ever I'm thirsty I drink a soda or something, which means I have the worst looking skin in the world. It's pasty and even changes shades of pale, also I'm constantly harassed by headaches and muscle cramps. it's that damn caffine addiction I tell ya.

Cait
10-27-2002, 06:15 PM
*sighs* I don't lose or gain weight ever, it seems, but I think I might start in on a diet and exersize regimine of some sort soon because the more I look at the redesigned Yuna the more I want to wear that costume and not look like.. well... Jabba the Yuna. I'm 5'1" and 135lbs and that really isn't normal by most standards. I'm healthy, so to speak, but I look terrible becuase unlike people say to me, none of that is muscle. I'm rather good at hiding the fat, but that doesn't cut it when it comes to revealing cosplay outfits.

*grumbles* I bet I'll put on weight, too, this year, considering that my schedule this semseter has me coming home at about 5PM at the very earliest everyday and the way it all works out I get in only one meal a day with very little to drink. Bah!

scandia
10-27-2002, 08:14 PM
Well, my weight is evenly distributed, but I do have very bulging biceps that do not look feminine in any way. I hide them most of the time under sleeves- and they are hidden in each and every single one of my costumes. I like the costumes that emphasize my bustline and small waist as well as hide my problem areas.

When I was a little girl, I used to get a lot of "Iris Chacon" (a vedette with a large derriere) teasing from my family. Now NOBODY teases me about my gluteus maximus: instead I get too many Dolly Parton cracks.

I drink my 8 glassess of liquid a day- and I do not drink soda, alcohol, or coffee ever. I can tell quickly when I am thirsty or even dehydrated. My skin is always dry though: I have never suffered from acne on my face.

Cait
10-27-2002, 08:57 PM
I drink my 8 glassess of liquid a day- and I do not drink soda, alcohol, or coffee ever. I can tell quickly when I am thirsty or even dehydrated. My skin is always dry though: I have never suffered from acne on my face

Soda only on the weekends, and I agree on the coffee...

I have a question... I drink southern style ice tea and lots of green tea and earl grey. Is that just as bad as a soda or coffee habit?

Kellie
10-27-2002, 09:45 PM
Depending on the ice tea, this it what I heard. If you make ice tea without sugar, it counts as a glass of water if you use stuff like sweet and low. Green tea is also good for you, but you have to be careful drinking too much because it may wash out the bad stuff, but it CAN eventually start washing out nutrients you need if you drink too much. I know it sounds odd, but... it can happen.

Keurblitz
10-27-2002, 10:18 PM
The best way to lose weight or stay healthy is to exercise... and avoid stuff like soda. er.... must...shed some pounds..... I look horrible when I wear light colors......

scandia
10-28-2002, 06:27 AM
I do drink a lot of sweet tea, living in the south and all. I drink chamomile and green tea sometimes as well.

I have gone 4 days without quesadillas. I wonder if I have lost any weight whatsoever. Exercised one of those days, but happened to have a cold the other 3 :(