PDA

View Full Version : Are gijinka cosplays recognizable?

Shihori
06-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Hiii, guys.
I'm going to cosplay a Pokémon in its human form. It will be my first time with gijinkas; I always prefer popular/recognizable stuff, 'cause I don't like to pass totally overlooked (and eww, yes, I think I love attention, too). So, I'd love to hear about your Pokémon experiences (Pokéxperiences? owň) at cons...

- Have you ever cosplayed a Pokémon? So, well... has it been fun? Did you pass unnoticed, or did you receive love, squeals & attentions? :P
Did people recognize the Pokémon you were portraying?

- What do you think makes a gijinka costume more recognizable? Is essential to pick a well-known Pokémon?

Thank you so much <3

inu.matto
06-04-2011, 02:45 PM
Several months ago I went to some event with my two friends dressed as Pokemon gijinka, Xatu and Armaldo: http://th00.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2011/135/d/4/pokemons_cosplay_by_agne1992-d3gdnbm.jpg. I can say for sure it was fun for them, but no particular attention, no love, nothing. People just took photos of them because of nice colourful costumes, but no more. No one also bothered to try and guess what Pokemon they were portaying.

I am not sure what makes a gijinka recognizable, but, as example, if you try to portay Eevee, have those ears straight up on your head, and a fur collar, maybe lovely paws (people LOVE fur paws), because a person in a plain brown hoodie is a person in a plain brown hoodie, not an Eevee, even if he/she claims to be.
A big fat plus to desperate desire to cosplay gijinka hoping to get attention is choosing a known Pokemon. That well limits your choices, but it's either self-satisfaction or public-recognization~

Gabbyv23
06-04-2011, 02:51 PM
lez see... well at a place where pokemon/Invader Zim fans are, I am recognized.
To normal people I'm a bunny or a green dog.
Instead of Eevee or Gir.
Depends on context really...

Tabby Catty
06-04-2011, 04:25 PM
Yes, they are, the trick is to make sure you incorporate the recognizable parts that make the pokemon truly special. For example, say... I wanted to do an Escavalier (which I really, really want to do one of these days) It would probably be wise to make a couple lances and create a headpiece or helmet with that huge crest and then make the armor perhaps incorporating the spiral shell maybe in the shoes or something...

KaylaPiplup
06-09-2011, 10:49 PM
I'd say it depends on the Pokemon. If its a super popular Pokemon and you incorporate colors and pieces that are from them, you'd be recognized. Its harder with lesser known/popular Pokemon though. I've gone as Piplup and Espeon (both easily recognizable) and had no problems and quite a few compliments. Though, my boyfriend has gone as Umbreon (no issues) and Xatu, and he was barely recognized. We incorporated Xatu features into the cosplay and it was easy to recognize if you knew him, he just wasn't as well known. So there's a lot of factors to take into account

~H~
06-12-2011, 12:44 AM
I think it always helps to have a plushie of your pokemon and/or a pokeball to carry along with you.

When I cosplayed Voltorb (http://www.cosplay.com/costume/359052/) I didn't have a plush, but thanks to my pokeball prop most everyone understood what I was going for ^_-.

While I've gotten more attention in the past for some of my other costumes, Voltorb is one that I've had a great deal of fun with! It was especially enjoyable to get together with other pokemon cosplayers ^_^. I have already worn Voltorb twice, and am planning more gijinka costumes in the future!

Gypsyangelf4i
06-12-2011, 07:37 AM
I think it always helps to have a plushie of your pokemon and/or a pokeball to carry along with you.

++1

Vycksta
06-26-2011, 09:03 AM
At this years A-kon, I spent most of Saturday and Sunday hanging around with a friend who was cosplaying as Smeargle, as well as a guy who was Houndour on the Friday and Mightyena the other two days. Now Michelle (( Smeargle )) was recognised a LOT, due to the fact that she had the beret on, Smeargle's tail and was also carrying around a sketchbook... Kasey (( Houndour/Mightyena ))? Not so much; to most people he came across as somebody in a casual outfit with a little bit of face paint on when he was Mightyena. Now I recognised him both times... with that said I am a total tard for Pokemon who noticed that somebody was cosplaying Solosis right off the bat while everyone else I was with didn't blink an eyelid.

What I am trying to say is that I agree completely with both Tabby Catty and with ~H~. If you're going to be a Pokemon gijinka, include the parts that make that particular Pokemon stand out. Failing that, a plushie or a Pokeball helps brilliantly; it was thanks to my Glameow plushie that a girl twigged that I was cosplaying Zoey.

Tabby Catty
06-26-2011, 09:15 AM
Definitely! Infact, at JAFAX, I saw an awesome origin form giratina gijinka cosplay where the tentacles were attached by strings to the wrists so they moved with the body. Definitely one of the best gijinkas I have seen... I really need to find pictures of her... I didn't take any...

My Anthea cosplay is probably less recognizable than a gijinka... When I told them I was the lady in the castle that healed the pokemon in black and white they were like "OH YEAH!!! IT'S THAT CHICK!!!"

AnnbuxMzLazy
06-28-2011, 10:01 PM
One year I went as Espeon and the fact that I was in a group of eeveelutions and we all had hats made it really obvious, we kept getting stopped for pictures haha!

I also did ivysaur and it was REALLY obvious because of the giant bulb/leaves in the back. BUT I kept getting mistaken for bulbasuar or venasur.. I seriously don't know why...

Also I was Ho-Oh last year and some people were able to get it :)

Like some people said up there, just make sure you implemented distinguishable features that the pokemon has (espeon= red gem, ears, tail. ivysaur= spots, bulb/leaves. hooh- wings, feathers, vibrant colors). And it never hurts to carry around a plushie or something, it's kinda cute sometimes too (though it'd be kinda weird if you were a fierce/scary pokemon carrying around a plushie.)

I'm going around anime expo this year as a gijinka deoxys and I don't think it's a fairly popular pokemon even for a legendary so we'll see how many people recognize me haha!

TR Rose
06-29-2011, 08:49 AM
I think you need to choose a recognizable Pokemon AND put work into your costume.

I don't even know how many Pokemon there are anymore. I knew most of them around 3rd generation, and now we're up to 5th. People are going to recognize the popular characters the most - the Pikachu family, the Eevee family, the starter Pokemon and sometimes their evolutions, and overall most of the original 151, maybe some of the original 251. Or a character who appeared a lot on the anime or in the movies, like Meowth or Chansey.

As far as putting work into your costume: an orange shirt and turkey feather on your head isn't recognizable as Torchic, you're just a person in normal clothes with a feather. If an outfit looks elaborate and cool, you'll get attention whether people know what you're cosplaying or not. If it just looks like clothes, you might be completely ignored.

I think the most recognizable gijinka designs are for characters who have specific ears and tails. These translate really well into human-like designs, which is again why I think Pokemon like the Pika and Eevee families work so well.

Just my two cents!!

Narutardpride
06-29-2011, 11:05 AM
I'm gonna have to agree that more popular characters are going to get you more attention. So, if you want more con pictures, go with Pikachu (and evolutions), Eevee (and evolutions), Starters, OR Pokemon from first generation. In all honesty, if you go with any pokemon from first gen, you're pretty set. Most people can recognize pokemon from first gen, regardless of whether or not their big fans of Pokemon.

Also, make your costume easy to distinguish. Pikachu is usually good for this, no matter what, but the rest can confuse me sometimes. I'm a huge pokemon fan, and while I don't know the name of everyone, I could see one that I don't know the name of and say "Oh! It's that one! The (ex.) Flying Rock Head!" And one of my friends would fill me in. BUT. Don't get too careless. I've seen many butchered Eevee cosplay, along with starters, because people think they'r easy.

Just to give you an example; I was Pikachu for Halloween. My school is somewhat filled with nerdy people (our football team spent practice playing Soul Silver/Heart Gold the day it came out), but even at school people were telling me what a cute costume I had, and a few acquaintances asked for pictures. I wasn't expecting this at all... because, well, it was at school.

Then again, here's the other side; I, with two other friends, am cosplaying Scraggy. He's from Gen V, so I'm not expecting a lot of pictures. But, we did a good job of keeping him recognizable. The tail, the big/baggy pants (I'm keeping them up with suspenders), the eye's, and the red mark at the top of the head, are all there. We also have the right colors in the right places. Still, I'm not expecting too much attention. I think I'll get a few pictures, but it's no where near the amount of pictures I'd get if I was wearing my Pikachu costume.

I'll fill you in again after I debut it, telling you how it was received. Right now, I'm just speculating.

Mycroftwave
08-30-2011, 11:14 AM
It depends on the character and how well it is done. For example, everyone knows Pikachu, even if they've never watched or played any of the Pokémon games.
Pokémon that not many people know about can be missed by people, especially when the costumes aren't done very greatly. I've seen a fair crap few gijinka's, not gonna lie, and when they tell you what character they are, you just think WTF HELL NO THAT'S NOTHING LIKE IT.

AuthenticEm
09-11-2011, 08:56 AM
It really depends on how well known the character is. For example: my vaporeon gijinka was easy to recognize because of the fins, tail and little bits that were taken from the original Pokémon. You'd probably need to have a well known Pokémon if you want attention, but you'll also need to work at the costume to make it amazing/recognizable. You'd want to incorporate many things from the original Pokémon to get people to know who you're going for. And also, when you're making gijinkas, you'll need to be extremely creative and be prepared to work A LOT on this costume.