PDA

View Full Version : Dalek help-"head domes"

Stormraven24
06-04-2011, 10:32 PM
I've got a lot already figured out for the mchanics of my Dalek outfit, but I'm stuck on what to use for the domes on the hat. I've heard of people using plastic shot glasses, and that's what I'm leaning towards. However, everything I've found just isn't close enough to the actual shape of the domes and/or is too narrow (I want to put LEDs in them that feed into my hat and into a hidden pocket for a sound-to-light modulator) and I'm getting disheartened. Does anyone have any advice on what to use/where to find plastic glasses that are close enough? Here's a reference pic: http://dalektricity.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/new-blue-dalek.jpg

Oh, and I'd really like to use clearish plastic since I want to cut the edges to an angle to fit onto the top of a top hat (read: flat). I really don't want to mess with glass that much.

Ironhill
06-04-2011, 11:36 PM
At costumecon one guy made a dalek. He used glass salt shakers for the domes. The nice thing with them is they are already threaded so all you have to do is cut the right size hole and screw them in.

Stormraven24
06-05-2011, 08:33 AM
I never considered salt shakers, so that's a good idea. But I'm not making an actual Dalek. The hat the domes will be sitting on is felt, so screwing anything in is kinda out of the question.

Edit: I think I found something that might work: toothpick containers. I saw them at work yesterday and was like "vjk;snfgvjinsafjinWANT!!!" I'm gonna get a couple tomorrow and see how they do. We use toothpicks anyway for baking, so it's not like I'm wasting money :D

CoolBowtie
08-30-2011, 02:29 PM
Yes, I found that toothpick containers worked really well as also.

If you want an idea of what it might look like (scale), I was a Dalek in June:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/716/daleklights.jpg/

The reason that they look transculent (rather than transparent) is that I filled them with silicon so that the LED light inside would shine throughout the whole container, rather than just at the botton.
(The blue stuff I'm wearing is not part of the costume, it's a shrug).

Hope this helps!