PDA

View Full Version : Misfit help?

otakusenshiange
06-06-2011, 01:48 PM
I am in the planning stages/beginning to buy essentials stage of making a Misfit costume:
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071031144847/marvel_dc/images/1/12/Misfit_01.jpg
http://readrant.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/birds-of-prey-117-2.jpg
I'm not entirely certain what I want to make her cape out of. I'm thinking satin but any suggestions would be nice.
My main problem is her ridiculous mask. I have no idea where to begin with that one. If anyone has ideas/suggestions, I'd pretty much love you forever.

TheLoyalFox
06-07-2011, 01:19 AM
I made my Jason Todd mask out of liquid latex.
You basically get a plastic mask, liquid latex, paint the latex on for quite a few coats (15+ plus), let it dry for about a day, come back, SLOWLY AND GENTLY peel it off using copious amounts of baby powder, and cut it into shape.
Voila~
Can't help much on the cape though :/

otakusenshiange
06-07-2011, 10:05 AM
I made my Jason Todd mask out of liquid latex.
You basically get a plastic mask, liquid latex, paint the latex on for quite a few coats (15+ plus), let it dry for about a day, come back, SLOWLY AND GENTLY peel it off using copious amounts of baby powder, and cut it into shape.
Voila~
Can't help much on the cape though :/
Oh, liquid latex. Hmm. I would definitely do that with a smaller mask but I feel like hers being so big might make that method problematic. I've got some old liquid latex so I might try that anyway. I'm also thinking of maybe using craft foam.

TheLoyalFox
06-07-2011, 12:12 PM
I would still use the latex and just spirit gum the crap out of it to my face, but I'm also a stickler for the latex masks because of how well they conform to the face.
But keep me updated on what you do, I'm interested in what works best :D

otakusenshiange
06-07-2011, 01:19 PM
I would still use the latex and just spirit gum the crap out of it to my face, but I'm also a stickler for the latex masks because of how well they conform to the face.
But keep me updated on what you do, I'm interested in what works best :D

You know, I might try both. Craft foam is super cheap. I was going to cut it out in the general shape I wanted and use a hair dyer to blow heat on it and mold it to conform to my face/a plastic face mask. I could always plaster cast my face and then do it or just be lazy and use a plastic face mask from the craft store. I'd probably paint it black and apply a layer of gel medium to it.
If the sheen from the gel medium is too much I could probably sand it down a bit and then cover it with more black acrylic. If I can find my nasty old liquid latex I'll definitely try your method. I just wish that stuff didn't smell so gross hahaha