PDA

View Full Version : Long fall boots...Where do I start?

crayon_genocide
06-13-2011, 04:28 AM
Yes, I know this is pretty ambitious, considering this is the first cosplay I have ever done, but I want to do Chell from Portal 2...and I want to make accurate Long fall boots. Without the heels and everything. Problem is, I don't know where to start.

...Or rather, I do know where to start, I'm just not sure if its a good idea or not. I was thinking of using some black leather boots that are smooth and look similar in shape to the long fall boots (high heels of course) and actually add to them. Because, if you look at the boots on the actual picture (http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/previews/165117-portal-2s-long-fall-boot) the heel is slanted in the back the same way heels are and the white on them seem to be added armor layers or...something. I was thinking also to deal with the no heel problem is have there be some sort of really strong metal like a metal sheet supporting the back of the foot instead of a heel itself, and looping up to the back of the calf. Sort of vague for an explanation, I know, and sorta not easy to understand, but I was just wondering if I'm thinking along the right track/what materials I should use to do this? Anyone willing to give me a nudge in the right direction would be amazing :3

Lucilia
06-13-2011, 08:42 AM
I think the boot design already offers a potential solution:

The long fall boots have 2 straps at the top, and a spring-like "Velocity Challenge Brace" in the back. Using the straps, you can attach the brace to your leg as well as your boots. It could then serve as the heel.

Tricky parts are securing the brace properly and making the brace strong enough - it needs to be able to carry at least your full weight, as at some point you'll forget and lean on them. You won't be able to run in them regardless, unless you use medical grade prosthesis like those used by Special Olympics runners.

To help secure it, you can add a third strap secured perpendicular onto the two top straps that leads from the two straps at the top down into your boot and below your heel. That way the brace cannot rise up.

I'd also make the lowest part of the brace a bit longer so you can secure it to the toe of the boot - that means a lot of extra solidness right there and no sliding off of the brace.

For materials, I would advise using a metal strip of the proper width and thickness, bent into the right shape. Better err on the side of it being too thick - keep your body weight in mind. And don't think you can divide by two because you have two legs. When you walk, one foot is always off the ground so the other carries the weight.

You'd probably need someone skilled with metal working (and with access to a workshop - if you can bend it without a machine, its not strong enough) to help you get it bent into the proper shape - they can also help you make the proper holes for securing the straps.

The main thing is that without high heels, you will be putting your full body weight on this and then you will be adding even more force when you walk. Forget running.

Regardless, you'd better get it done solidly, or the brace will slip or break and it will not be pretty.

All warnings aside, I think this is definitely doable. Just use proper steel instead of plastic - plastic just won't hold.

Alternative idea: how about a transparent heel? That'll take the force off of the brace.

Kelley
06-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Not to be a pest, but search the forums. There are two VERY in-depth threads on this just recently. :)

We've pretty much broken down exactly how these boots "work" and your options for making them for a costume.

Lucilia
06-13-2011, 02:27 PM
I was just watching this video of a Garrus cosplay - it features a weight-on-toes-only shoe you might find interesting as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD3sVFt_po4

somewhere around 6 minutes, but actually the entire vid is worth watching.

crayon_genocide
07-04-2011, 05:06 AM
Agh, Kelly, you're right. I probably should have poked around the forums a bit more. Sorry bout that.
Thank you Lucilia!! All of your input was really helpful :3