PDA

View Full Version : question

nixxer
11-14-2003, 11:45 AM
How good should you be at cosplaying before you do a skit? How many cons should you attend and how many skits should you see before attempting your own? Ive only seen one masquerade but loved it and now want to be a part of that, only Im really new to everything so Im wondering how long I should wait, how many cons should I attend and how good I should become at cosplaying before I even try to join a skit? How many skits should one be a part of before planning your own? I feel that people should try being a part of one before planning so to get an idea of how its run. But thats just my opinion. Any help you can offer on these questions is much appreciated thanks!

Menchi
11-14-2003, 11:55 AM
i pesonally dont think you have to be any good at cosplay for a skit, if you are not going o a quality award if it is about the tehh skit skill level on sewing/cosplaying isnt relavant. i didnt cosplay till 5 years after i started goin to cons an that year enterered masqeruade, granted i dont even bother witha a masqeruade anymore but still...

Miaka No Baka
11-14-2003, 11:27 PM
the costumes you have do factor into your groups total score for your skit so keep that in mind. Granted if your costumes are simple (basic items) as long as they're not horrible looking you should be fine. But if I were you, I'd watch a few before participating so you can know what goes on. A lot of the time you have a short time limit (usually 2-3 mins depending on the con) so doing a skit does take effort to combine it into the shortest amount of time alotted. Sometimes if you get a group going you'll find that someone in t he group is better at writing skits, someone is better at stage directions and someone is better with sewing so divide your talent amongst your group and you'll find it might be a bit more easier on the group that way ^_^ that way one person isn't doing all the work.

Miaka no Baka

Susumari
11-15-2003, 03:23 AM
some of the ppl that i've seen one and had good compliments are the ones that think of stuff at the top of their head. not improv. it the whole time but the whole main idea. it doesn't matter...experience or none. you can find yourself amazed...i kno i didn't go fully out saying an answer. sorry my apologies.

Terumi
11-15-2003, 12:43 PM
I cosplayed and competed in a cosplay contest at my very first convention. I didn't expect to win but I just wanted to have the experience. I'd say you don't have to wait at all to compete, if you're hearts in it and you really want to do it then go for it!!! I'd also say being part of a skit first (before putting one together) is a good idea too, it will give you the experience of how things are run. ( But you could still do it the other way around) Good luck and have fun!!!!

Ali
11-15-2003, 01:08 PM
I competed in a masq at my very first con... won a judge's award, too. It was nifty.
So I say: Just dive right in. The *only* thing I would do first is become really familiar with the rules of whichever masq you decide to participate in (nothing quite like planning a 3 minute skit only to discover a 30 sec time limit... heh heh).