PDA

View Full Version : Beyond Birthday

Gypsyangelf4i
06-17-2011, 11:41 AM
So, in a sea of L's, what in your opinion would make you stand out as a Beyond Birthday?

I've seen only one BB cosplayer, he did the white shirt, covered in blood, carrying Jam. I got it. But what about BB wearing a black shirt? Should you have red contacts? Just bouncing around ideas since it seems BB is so underloved. :D

pyrodancer
06-17-2011, 01:58 PM
I'd definitely say the blood, jam, and red contacts for BB.

If you're wearing a black shirt, I'd think it'd be hard to see the blood.

I think that if you were walking around with an L, it would be a good contrast to have BB wearing a black shirt tho.

Gypsyangelf4i
06-18-2011, 09:09 AM
OK red contacts ordered...I can also use them for Sebastian,so it's a duo purchase. I thought about just wearing them with my L when I'm hanging with my Light to see if anyone catches on. Shhhh don't let Kira know he's really handcuffed to BB. :p

But in the end,I've decided to go with this DeadxEndxLess version of BB. Cause, a really vague and obscure cosplay that nobody will recognize should be full of win...right? :-/

http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll10/JustinJakeLong/deadXendXless/?action=view&current=img022.gif

pyrodancer
06-18-2011, 09:53 PM
That would be really awesome ^^ Hooray for DeadxEndxLess, I was freaking excited when I discovered that site by chance recently :)

Beyond the Limit <3

Gypsyangelf4i
06-19-2011, 07:16 AM
TY, I'm hoping it'll be awesome. Still sorting out all the details on how to go about the wings. Sooo many feathers XD.

And that site is so full of awesome, I notice something new and awesome I missed before every time I visit.

pyrodancer
06-19-2011, 06:56 PM
Yea, those are some monstrous wings, good luck!!

Yes, I love that website... it'd be a lot easier if I was better at reading Japanese tho. lol

Gypsyangelf4i
06-20-2011, 05:52 AM
LOL ^ This!! XD

pyrodancer
06-20-2011, 06:16 PM
I try to get my computer to translate the pages for me, but the translations are so horrible that it doesn't help at all. lolz Where's Rosetta Stone when I need it?! :P

I played around with "B's Red Trap" the other day, where you get to have a "conversation" with BB, but he started talkin bout the history of strawberry jam, and I couldn't read most of it! lolz

Juliapop
06-21-2011, 12:41 AM
That looks like it's going to make a great cosplay! I can just imagine B giving a creepy grin through the huuuge red feathers.

I've been wearing a white shirt with blood for my B cosplay, but I think I'm going to wear a black shirt next time. I was going to have a black shirt for Anime North last month, but my sewing machine wasn't cooperating and I didn't really want to buy a shirt. If you go with a black shirt, you can still put fake blood on your face (and maybe on your hands, if you can figure out how to do that without making everything you touch look like a crime scene.)

I also carry strawberry jam and a wara ningyo and wear red contacts. Which contacts did you get? Technically B's eyes wouldn't look red, but I still think red contacts are a great addition to a B cosplay.

Be prepared to have people mistake you for "bloody L," "dead L," and possibly even "vampire L."

Gypsyangelf4i
06-21-2011, 05:58 AM
Yeah, I'm already set for people who "don't know" to mistake me for L. It's fine. The true DN fans will hopefully get it. But my one version with the wings, I may be lucky if anyone recognizes me. Ah well, I do this for ME.

I thought about the fake blood, but I'm so worried it'll get on other people's cosplays that I may forgo it all together. My group is very huggy XD

For contacts I went with Angelic Red from Coastal:
http://www.coastalcontacts.com/special-effects-lenses/angelic-red/prod97170.html

I had to find some available in my prescription. They should be here at the end of the month.

Did you make your Wara Ningyo? I had thought about wearing one as kinda a neclace,but was unsure where to find them.

Juliapop
06-21-2011, 02:35 PM
I was surprised the first time I cosplayed B. I kind of just assumed that most DN fans knew who he was, but I guess not that many people have read Another Note.

I don't really have a problem with fake blood getting on other people. You just have to remember where you applied it. Sometimes people will want hugs and ask if the blood on my shirt is dry, haha. It's just a mixture of water and a few colors of acrylic paint, and is completely dry.

Oh, those contacts look nice! I have the Geo SF-20 (http://www.yesstyle.com/en/geo-crazy-lens-red-black-sf-20-p-0-00-1-piece/info.html/pid.1023059668). I wear prescription lenses normally, but my prescription is relatively low, so I didn't really worry about whether or not I could get them in prescription when I was choosing lenses.

Actually, a friend made my wara ningyo for me. They should be pretty easy to make, you just need a few bunches of straw and some twine. I was going to make mine myself at first, though, and I noticed that it's not as easy as you'd think to find just plain straw. I looked in a craft store, and it was all painted gold for home decoration, in a wreath shape, or something else completely unhelpful.

pyrodancer
06-21-2011, 06:01 PM
if you're doing blood on your hands or face, what about the alcohol-activated makeup stuff? I've never used it before, but it seems like that would solve the problem of blood getting on other ppl...

You know what would be totally awesome?? If we could get a crapload of B fans, and have each person be a different Oracle Box tarot card, from Beyond the Limit. ^^

Gypsyangelf4i
06-21-2011, 06:21 PM
^ YES!!! this would be awesome!!

And I never heard of the alcohol-activated stuff. I'll have to look it up.

BTW do you have the link to Beyond The Limit...I had to clean my pc and lost it XD

Juliapop
06-21-2011, 07:38 PM
I've never heard of using alcohol-activated makeup for blood. I think it's used a lot for things like fake wounds, but not just for blood spatter. I actually heard about it when I was researching different ways to conceal my eyebrows for L cosplay.
Also, this thread is apparently now on the second page if you Google "alcohol activated makeup fake blood."

Okay, so what is Beyond the Limit? I'm a bad fan.

Gypsyangelf4i
06-21-2011, 08:10 PM
Beyond the Limit is a person who draws BB pics.There is more than just Beyond the Limit art.

There is a website named DEADxENDxLESS and the owner of that site has a group who draw well of course,Beyond Birthday.

Beyond the Limit is one. I'll give you the Link to the website,but,It is mostly in Japanese.
But also when you click the link for Beyond the Limit,you need a password (13).

Links:

DEADxENDxLESS- http://deadxendxless.web.fc2.com/sduhhdce.html

Beyond the Limit - http://13131313131313131313.blog41.fc2.com/blog-entry-181.html

The PW for Beyond the Limit is 13.

BTW I found my link. ;)

Oh and quick link to the Tarot cards:
http://oraclebox.xxxxxxxx.jp/CardGallery.html

Juliapop
06-21-2011, 11:33 PM
Oh, so that's that artist's name! I recognize the work. I've seen that site, but I haven't looked around it much before.

I'm loving the tarot cards, and it might be fun to cosplay one of them, but I'd be really surprised if anyone ever got that many B cosplayers in one place at one time.

pyrodancer
06-21-2011, 11:46 PM
yea, it's so sad that B isn't as well known as he deserves to be XP
B needs more lovins!! lol

Juliapop
06-22-2011, 12:00 AM
I was going through the tarot cards, wondering which one I'd choose if I ever cosplayed one of them. I saw this one, and thought it was pretty cool... and then I scrolled down.

Wheel of Fortune (http://oraclebox.xxxxxxxx.jp/X.html)

Gypsyangelf4i
06-22-2011, 05:49 AM
Yeah, that one's awesome. A bit "Borg-like". LOL I'd be the Death one, since I'm already working on that outfit. Still trying to sort out what to make the black spikes on the wings out of. I even tossed around the idea of getting a small set of red costume wings to wear to the more crowdy cons.

Yeah, poor B....he deserves a movie :-}

pyrodancer
06-23-2011, 02:25 AM
I really like Beyond the Limit's "Holy Ogre" and the chibi Bs are all really cute! :)

Yes, I totally agree that B deserves his own movie. They should totally turn Another Note into a movie!!

Gypsyangelf4i
06-24-2011, 06:10 AM
^And as in "they" we mean the Japanese. Because we all know America would just mess it up. Plus, you got to get the same guy who played L in all the DN movies. <3

Gypsyangelf4i
06-24-2011, 02:17 PM
OK after pondering his wings since before this thread started, I've decided I may just do a pair of black wings. Mainly because I've lamented too long over all the details of the red ones and I can use the black ones with another cosplay, so financially speaking, it'd also be better. I doubt anyone will comment on the wrong color as most won't even recognize the cosplay. Also, perhaps my skills aren't quite up to the level of the red ones. I may attempt them again in the future, but for now, I think black is the way to go.

pyrodancer
06-24-2011, 02:39 PM
Yes yes, a Japanese make of Another Note :) Matsuyama Kenichi was an awesome L.

I think black wings will work good with B. You're braver than I am, I don't even wanna think about having a coplay that deals with wings. lol

Gypsyangelf4i
06-25-2011, 02:59 PM
BB is one major leap closer to being ready to roll. I got my contacts today. YAY!! Technically I can cosplay him as is...and I might a PersaCon.I call him BB 1.0. Still lot's of work to be done on BB 2.0.

http://gypsyangelf4i.deviantart.com/gallery/30905459#/d3jylr4

Just goofin'
http://gypsyangelf4i.deviantart.com/gallery/30905459#/d3jyn4s

Also finished my Beyond The Limit outfit. Nothing to do now ,but make wings:
http://gypsyangelf4i.deviantart.com/gallery/30905459#/d3jz70h

I'm definitely thinking of just buying a large pair of cheapo wings just so I can hurry up and wear this to upcoming cons while the ginormouse wings are being sorted. Also, this will give me a chance to get used to wearing wings at cons on a smaller scale.

pyrodancer
06-26-2011, 04:24 PM
hey ya, it's looking great! luv the mask ^^

Gypsyangelf4i
06-26-2011, 05:45 PM
LOL TY. I saw it at Eddie's Trick shop yesterday and just had to pick it up for B.Then I ran around all yesterday afternoon as BB. He really is becoming my favorite cosplay. I can't wait to take him out in public.

Juliapop
06-26-2011, 08:52 PM
Your contacts and outfit look great! I can't wait to see it with the wings.

Personally, I don't like to cosplay in public, but I was walking around as B on Sunday afternoon after Anime North because I had absolutely no time to change. I don't think I'll be doing that again. I was covered in blood and felt awkward and terrible about probably scaring people. Hahaha.

Gypsyangelf4i
06-26-2011, 09:11 PM
^ha ha that's awesome!

Gypsyangelf4i
07-09-2011, 07:43 AM
Still sorting out the wings. I'm having alot of difficulty sorting out the frame. Still have alot more research to be done I guess. I even considered just commissioning them at one point, but that would take all my con money for next year,so it kinda defeats the purpose. Ah, well, back to the drawing board.

Juliapop
07-13-2011, 12:34 AM
How are you constructing the wings?

I'm getting the rest of the photos I had taken at Anime North back from the photographer soon. The one photo I've seen so far from the mini-photoshoot was great, and I don't have very many good pictures of my B cosplay, so I'm kind of excited.

Gypsyangelf4i
07-15-2011, 11:34 AM
^Sorry, this thread didn't pop up on my user CP, I didn't know it had been updated. I can't wait to see your pics of BB. My B is finally getting to come out to play tomorrow night at PersaCon. Still wingless, but what the heck. No body is gonna recognize me anyway. I can't wait. My Light has no idea what they're in for. >-)

I actually have 2 outfits for him along. I decided against the blood smear version. But have a black shirt w/black jeans version...kinda an opposite L. Plus I have his red and black outfit from the art page (minus the wings :( ) which I'm leaning towards wearing as it looks less...I don't know...lazy, I guess. I also made a Wara Ningyo necklace for him to wear along with my red contacts. Hopefully my friend can get some good pics.She'll likely still be dressed as Light as we'll be cuffed together earlier as Light and L and may still be cuffed as Light and BB. How else is he supposed to keep me under wraps? :p

The wings, I'm still working with pvc,but have switched to a smaller diameter. Still not completely thrilled with the frame.Trying to sort out how it's all going to work. I need them to be able to open and close. Who knew wings were sooo difficult XD I guess if they weren't, everyone would have them.

I've also looked and found a website that sells wing frames made of wood and covered in fabric. They also open and close and come with a harness already on them. So half the work is done for you. Nothing to do but add feathers. We'll see, this definitely isn't a finish quick type of project.

I'll keep ya updated if I ever finish this smeggin frame. Till then, let us know when your pics are up.

MelancholyDream
07-20-2011, 01:05 PM
I really like Beyond the Limit's "Holy Ogre" and the chibi Bs are all really cute! :)

Yes, I totally agree that B deserves his own movie. They should totally turn Another Note into a movie!!

I'd love to see that turned into a movie, because that was an AWSOME book. I enjoyed the read very much! I plan to cosplay BB ...eventually, haha. He's on my cosplay wishlist, and I'm being a big procastinator, cause I know how easy the cosplay is. I'm just too lazy to put it togetherrrr.

pyrodancer
07-20-2011, 09:17 PM
I'd love to see that turned into a movie, because that was an AWSOME book. I enjoyed the read very much! I plan to cosplay BB ...eventually, haha. He's on my cosplay wishlist, and I'm being a big procastinator, cause I know how easy the cosplay is. I'm just too lazy to put it togetherrrr.

hooray, more BB fans!! <3
haha, yeah i've been procrastinating on my L cosplay for a lil while now. I just recently fixed the collar of my newest shirt I found for L, now I'll probably shorten the sleeves a lil bit, and I should be good to go :)

☆★~白黒~★☆
07-23-2011, 10:45 PM
To make B stand out, huh...
I suggest carrying around a bloodstained knife or some other kind of weapon (I used Rena's cleaver~) or the jam.
Or both, why not?
B "officially" wears a white shirt, like L, but fans put him in a black shirt to tell the difference...so...either works.
If you take a peek around DEADxENDxLESS (Japanese BB fanart gallery), you can find quite a few good references you can work off of too.
Hope that helps~

~Shirokuro

[Edit] Another Note made into a movie is zetta win.

[Edit #2] Naw, I'm late...
But really, go look in DEADxENDxLESS

Gypsyangelf4i
07-24-2011, 06:56 AM
Wow, I didn't know BB had an "official" outfit as I don't recall the book ever mentioning the colors of his clothes. But hey, I guess you learn something new everyday. :p

☆★~白黒~★☆
07-30-2011, 05:01 PM
I don't actually know about an "official" outfit, but NISIOISIN (The author) described him the exact same way L looked...so...

Well, then it was horrible word choice on my part then.

http://deadxendxless.web.fc2.com/

This.

Also, the password for Beyond The Limit is 13.