PDA

View Full Version : Rules for Dance skits?

!*Jessi-Chan*!
11-15-2003, 12:51 PM
I LOVE to dance! And i've never been in a masq., but would like too. But i'm not very funny and so i wanna dance! BUT, i don't really know if the crowd would like it.....i am a cheerleader and have so many dances stuck in my head! Here's my ideas!

**Relena dancing to Just Communication Instrumental (the short version)
**Sakura in her cheer uniform leading the crowd in a cheer then dancing to my favorite DDR song.

What do you think? Are there any 'rules' i should follow in dancing for a skit?

Koumori
11-15-2003, 01:16 PM
I will just ask the same thing I ask of all skits: Keep it short. While watching somebody dance to a song can be cute for the first stanza or so, if it goes on much past the first chorus, it's boring. By that point the audience has seen your costume and seen your bit.

!*Jessi-Chan*!
11-15-2003, 02:00 PM
so..would one minute and 32 seconds worth of dancing be too long?

Koumori
11-15-2003, 02:35 PM
so..would one minute and 32 seconds worth of dancing be too long?

For me? Yes, unless there's something really special about your dancing or about your costume that you can't demonstrate in a shorter time. But I get bored with skits VERY quickly once I feel they've made their point. My suggestion: sit down with your music and imagine *watching* somebody dance to it for that entire time. 1:32 might be a lot longer than you think.

Hikaruchan
11-15-2003, 02:41 PM
I would say yes to too long if it was just yourself doing the dance.

Eccoglyph
11-20-2003, 01:26 PM
If you're going to have it last for a good 1.5 mins, you have to make sure there are plenty of surprises to keep it exciting for the audience. Good luck! Hope to see you backstage somewhere.

!*Jessi-Chan*!
11-21-2003, 05:28 PM
So..what's surprising? A complicated twist through the air? A back flip?

Koumori
11-21-2003, 11:22 PM
Well, that's just it... unless it's part of a skit, there isn't much surprising about someone dancing around on stage, and that's why it doesn't really capture my interest if I'm sitting in the audience. A back flip is just... a back flip. Unless the character is known for back flips, or unless there's something cool inside the skirt that you can't or don't want to show off any other way, then to me it just looks like the cosplayer showing off gymnastics, not a display of costume and character. When planning a skit, I think it's important to think of it from the point of view of someone who's been sitting on a hard chair in a dark ballroom full of restless fans for an hour and a half already. I get bored every time somebody tries to do the entire "Real Emotion" sequence too, no matter how nicely it's choreographed. It's just too long, and at some point it stops saying "Look, it's Yuna" and starts saying "Look how clever I am, I learned this whole dance." So I think Relena dancing to the whole song would lose any freshness very quickly, and I think if it were me doing the Sakura skit, I'd stop after leading the cheer - to then do a dance would be overkill.

That's my perspective as someone who more often watches than participates in masquerades. But then, I tend to come from the camp that a masquerade should be about costumes, and that performances should be there to enhance the costumes. Based on what I see in many presentations at masquerades I've been going to lately, I don't think many people agree with that point of view.

I also think a lot of people believe the whole point of a masquerade presentation is to "be funny." Believe me, there is NOTHING wrong with doing a walk-on, maybe a couple of lines, a pose or two to show off your costume, and then walking off. Some of the most painful things I have seen on stage in the past few years have been the result of cosplayers trying desperately (oh, so desperately) to be funny. You do not have to be funny. Some of the most beautiful skits I've seen have been completely straightforward, and some of the most memorable cosplays I've seen have been the shortest.

My suggestion if you want to dance is to pick a character who *does* dance, and who's known for it; or a dance scene, and then do just enough of it so that the audience gets the idea but doesn't have time to get tired of it. Them getting tired of it has nothing to do with the quality of your dancing; the audience has 50 or more skits to sit through, and just wants to get on with the next thing once they've gotten the idea.

Trinity
11-23-2003, 12:09 PM
Dancing is good, but it has to do with the way you approach it and how you appeal to the audience. There has to be a considerable amount of validity behind it, otherwise it'll just be like singing karaoke at a masquerade. Everything's fine in moderation.

Soratakun
11-23-2003, 09:31 PM
I say get in a random group of backup dancers relating to your cosplay. ^^

Hiriyuu
11-24-2003, 07:48 PM
What DDR song are you thinking about doing eh?

!*Jessi-Chan*!
12-02-2003, 10:09 AM
I was thinking about doing a dance to Aoi Shoudou by Naoki from the Enxtreme version of the game..i love that song....