PDA

View Full Version : True Blood

kandell
06-19-2011, 01:36 PM
I could've sworn I already made a thread for this, but I couldn't find one in this forum or by looking through my previous posts/topics, so here goes!

I've recently become a True Blood fan, and I decided that I wanted to cosplay from it. My first True Blood cosplay is going to be Pam ((Pamela Swynford de Beaufort)). I'm building a group and everything.

So for anyone who wants to do a True Blood cosplay, let's talk about where to buy fangs, how to use fangs, where to buy clothes or materials, what patterns to use, tips on getting into character, etc.

I just ordered a combo kit of fangs from Vampfangs.com. I'll be getting the classic Scarecrow fangs and a pair of- wait for it- retractable fangs. I'm really excited about it, and once I get them fitted and everything I'll be posting a review to let you all know how they work out. I've read a few reviews on the retractable fangs, and I am a little concerned. It seems like they'll be rather uncomfortable for extended use, and because of the way they're constructed, it's pretty much impossible to speak while wearing them. But I figure it's worth it to be at a convention or even just out and about, make eye contact with someone and flash them a fangy snarl before retracting the fangs. I'm going to have way too much fun with these >:D

Keep watching this thread for updates on fangs and clothing and makeup/hair tips for the characters. I'll be including tips/tutorials for:

Eric Northman
Pam de Beaufort
Sookie Stackhouse
Bill Compton
Sam Merlotte
Queen Sophie-Anne
Hadley
Lafayette
and more!

ItalianPeach
06-22-2011, 01:59 AM
I <3 True Blood! Both the books and the show. I have Sookie's Merlotte's Uniform (with the neckerchief) already. I am currently working on Sophie Anne (Who I ADORE in the Books). It's the Black Coat outfit, with the Hat, that she is Wearing in the Season Finale of season 3. I also plan on a Pam outfit (probably the pink jumpsuit, but season 4 is about to begin!), but I still feel I am to young, so I want to wait a few years when I get a little bit older. Before I head out I did want to talk about fangs for a moment.

Scarecrow is def the way to go. I love them. I have both a petite and a regular pair. I find the fangs they have are very large in the show, so for pictures I wanted a large pair of fangs, but for walking around and talking, the large ones were just to big. I highly suggest getting both pairs if you always want to have a pair in, and the petites are perfect for that.

kandell
06-22-2011, 10:33 AM
Yeah, a friend of mine swears by the petite fangs. She and her cousin wear the petites with their Rikku and Yuna berserker costumes. But my teeth are bigger than theirs, and I wanted something that I was sure would show up. Especially in pictures. I'm still debating whether or not I want to pick a specific Pam costume or just throw together something she would wear. There are so many Pam outfits that would be fun!! XP

tarinalove
06-22-2011, 04:07 PM
I made Sookies bar maid costume last year. I have photos in my gallery. :3

Sookie is my favorite character, but I feel like I am limited in costumes since nobody would recognize some of her costumes and outfits.

kandell
06-22-2011, 06:41 PM
@Tarinalove: I get what you mean. She has some really cute outfits, though. Sucks that not many people would recognize them :[

UPDATE! I just got my fangs today. Only had time to fit the retractable ones, and....

They work!

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150287662746204

That's the video I took today. I know the quality's pretty crappy, but I only had my phone at the time XP Anywhoo, they're pretty comfortable considering the fangs basically a retainer. It's impossible to speak without sounding like an idiot, but I'm okay with that. I still have to practice a bit on getting the retracting action to work just right. You control the fangs by using your tongue to either lift or press down a plastic bar that crosses your mouth. Hence why it's impossible to speak.

But still, I would definitely recommend these if you want the retracting effect but don't have to talk. Because I'm going to use them for cosplay, I went ahead and ordered a combo kit from Vampfangs.com. I got their classic fangs instead of the subtle, because I figured the subtle wouldn't be the same size as the retractable fangs and they wouldn't be as visible. Still have to fit the classic fangs. Wish me luck!

QueenDuranie
06-22-2011, 07:20 PM
I have done a Pam cosplay for a True Blood group that performed at Boskone for "the Creator" (AKA the True Blood author Charlaine Harris). Talk about nervewracking. I would highly suggest looking for some awesome high heel shoes.
;)

kandell
06-22-2011, 07:40 PM
Oh I'm definitely hunting for the right shoes :D

kandell
06-24-2011, 05:54 PM
So I was in Goodwill today helping a friend look for rave stuff, and I found something for my Pam cosplay!

I found a light pink tweed skirt and matching jacket. It totally looks like one of Pam's Stepford outfits!! I had to buy it. So I now have 2 Pam costumes: The pink tweed and a black high-waisted skirt and silky red tank top with a 3-buckle waist belt. I just need jewelry and killer shoes to complete the outfits....

tamahomegurl
06-28-2011, 02:11 AM
What an awesome thread!! :) Hello True Blood fans!! :) My sister introduced me to the series the beginning of the year and I have been OBSESSED in the most unhealthiest levels!! And Season 4 just started...watch out!! :D Wowwwwww!!!

It's so awesome you are doing Pam, Kandell!! Pam is definitely classy but hella sexy. She and Eric are my favorite characters. They are such an awesome duo.

I'm going to Anime Expo this weekend and even though I'm Chinese, I'm totally doing the Merlotte's waitress outfit...lol! What?! An Asian person in the middle of Louisiana?!!! Whaaaa?!! Lol!! I don't know how it's going to fare at anime expo as opposed to the American-comics-geared conventions (like Comic-con) but I hope to see at least one TB cosplayer among the waves of Final Fantasy and Naruto cosplayers.

Sorry...this post was pretty random. I just squealed in delight when I saw this thread..! :) I'll definitely be checking out this thread frequently..!

Lucifer
06-28-2011, 09:49 AM
I've cosplayed Sookie Stackhouse several times (even the 'post-rattans attack' version), with my husband cosplaying Bill Compton with me. However, we've been joking about cosplaying Sophie-Ann and Russell Edgington someday just because we love those characters, and its such an opposite to Sookie/Bill.

Though I did tell my husband should he cosplay Russell, he needs a bloody spine :3

kandell
06-28-2011, 09:19 PM
YES. Bloody spine ftw.

And I think an Asian in Louisiana would be awesome :P

UPDATE. I FOUND A PINK TWEED SKIRTSUIT THING :D I was at Goodwill just browsing and I happened up this heinously pink thing. It's magical.
((Please ignore the me in the pic. I didn't bother doing my hair or makeup cuz I was all "Oh, it's just Goodwill it's not like it's a hot date or anything"))

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e366/kikikins91/0624011524.jpg

I think this'll be perfect for one of Pam's Stepford Wife look :3

Lucifer
06-29-2011, 09:53 AM
That suit is PERFECT for Pam!!!

kandell
06-29-2011, 10:55 AM
I'm so excited to wear it!! :D And check out my Eric. He's growing his hair out and he'll be shaving the facial hair. And I'm making the talon necklace for him.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e366/kikikins91/eric.jpg

tamahomegurl
07-04-2011, 02:42 AM
Wow!! A very good looking Eric and an amazing suit you have found!! :) Good job, Kandell!

I just wanted to let you guys know that my waitress cosplay worked very well at Anime Expo today! :) To my surprise, there were quite a few people who stopped me and asked for pictures. They were quite excited too! :) And even though I was unable to locate Eric, I was quite taken back when I came across another Merlotte's waitress in the food court at AX!! That was quite a treat! It was like locating a needle in a haystack.

Anyhow, I can't wait to wear this outfit again - just pure awesomeness and super comfy!

kandell
07-05-2011, 03:43 PM
Good to know the costume is comfy! The Sookie for my group loves comfy. I can't believe you managed to find a True Blood cosplayer at AX. I have friends that go and they say it's crazy huge. Makes me wonder if I'll run into any True Blood cosplayers at the cons I go to ((other than in my group))

Shana05
07-10-2011, 10:21 PM
I think I'd make a good Jessica but I don't know how to make it recognizable. Although I haven't finished season 3 yet. I don't have HBO so I rent the dvds from Netflix.

EDIT: I was watching the second disc when I wrote that. Now I see Jessica starting working at Merlotte's so I could do the uniform. I also love the retractable fangs. I'm also thinking of putting blood tears as Jessica does cry a lot.

tamahomegurl
07-11-2011, 04:41 PM
Kandell: You can assure your Sookie that this waitress outfit is super duper comfortable!!! The outfit is a perfect ideal cosplay for most people due to its simplicity, recognizability, and comfort level. Your Sookie will LOVE it! :) We need more TB cosplayers!!! And you're right - after 4 days of AX and over 10,000 attendees, there were only 2 TB cosplays. I was so fortunate to locate the other only waitress. I'm so excited and looking forward to your Pam cosplay. Please keep me posted on your progress and convention information. I'm super stoked to see how it turns out!! :)

Shana05 - Yay!!! :) The red fiery long hair, retractable fangs, and blood smeared around your eyes definitely scream Jessica! The waitress outfit will for sure eliminate any questions as to who you are. Of course, unless you run into those weirdo people who might mistaken you for Victoria (Twilight) with the red hair and fangs...0___o;; Some people at AX called me Sookie even though I have dark brown hair and look absolutely NOTHING like her....WTF, huh?! I just smiled sweetly and waved. LOL....

EDIT: Awesome Victoria cosplay Shana05! I just saw it right now. :)

Shana05
07-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Shana05 - Yay!!! :) The red fiery long hair, retractable fangs, and blood smeared around your eyes definitely scream Jessica! The waitress outfit will for sure eliminate any questions as to who you are. Of course, unless you run into those weirdo people who might mistaken you for Victoria (Twilight) with the red hair and fangs...0___o;; Some people at AX called me Sookie even though I have dark brown hair and look absolutely NOTHING like her....WTF, huh?! I just smiled sweetly and waved. LOL....

EDIT: Awesome Victoria cosplay Shana05! I just saw it right now. :)

Jessica would probably end up being easier than Victoria was. My hair is naturally straight so I had to do a lot of work to get it curly. Jessica has many hairstyles but usually she wears it straight. I'll probably order my fangs once I get home. I'm staying at my sister's right now. I already have the shorts, I use them in my Alois cosplay and as regular clothes. I also plan to get a bottle of TruBlood as a prop.

On that note, I once saw a Vampire Knight cosplayer (I never got into that series so I'm not sure which character) with a bottle of TruBlood. It was awesome.

Also Twilight fans know, their vampires don't have fangs which actually makes their bites worse. Here is (http://www.themed-party-ideas.com/twilight-costumes.html) a make-up rendition of what their bites would be like.

tamahomegurl
07-12-2011, 12:54 AM
Oh my goodness - that link with the bite mark looks seriously wicked cool!!! >:D Wow...looks like a zombie bite as well!!!

Vampire Knight x Trublood?!! Awesome! I would love to see Alucard or Seras Victoria (Hellsing) handle some Trublood as well..!! :)

I'm excited to see your Jessica cosplay too!! *Yay* Wow...youre so lucky!! Her long red hair is soooo gorgeous!! Keep us posted with progress pictures!! I just got my fangs from vampfangs.com and they are awesome!! I didn't get the retractable ones though.

loverini
07-26-2011, 09:39 PM
Yaaaay!!! ~ <3 True Blood fans <333

Shana05
07-30-2011, 05:48 PM
I almost got everything I need to be Jessica. The only thing left is a waitress tray I plan to glue a bottle of Tru Blood on. It's still in the mail. I'm planning to get some pics tomorrow. My dad's away for a golf tournament and my mom is terrible with cameras.

Shana05
08-02-2011, 10:39 PM
Ok, I got some pics up.

http://www.cosplay.com/costume/386995/

tamahomegurl
08-03-2011, 09:57 PM
Loverini - True Blood fans FTW!!!!! :D

Shana05 - I totally adore your Jess cosplay! I love your hair and the jewelry. What kind of fangs did you use? I have a set of fangs i ordered from vampfangs. They look pretty cool but yours looks really dang good! :D And I'm glad that FYE decided to sell those bottles of Tru Blood individually because the HBO store is charging an arm and a leg for a set of 4. :X

Shana05
08-03-2011, 10:40 PM
Shana05 - I totally adore your Jess cosplay! I love your hair and the jewelry. What kind of fangs did you use? I have a set of fangs i ordered from vampfangs. They look pretty cool but yours looks really dang good! :D And I'm glad that FYE decided to sell those bottles of Tru Blood individually because the HBO store is charging an arm and a leg for a set of 4. :X

They're the retractable fangs from vampfangs. The bad part is I can't talk at all with those in. I once used some regular fangs for Halloween, they made me talk funny but I was understandable.

kandell
08-03-2011, 11:07 PM
Yeah, the retractable fangs are impossible to speak in :/ I wore them for a bit while I was Pam at AI ((which wasn't long because it was almost 100 degrees and I was wearing a wig and trenchcoat XP)). I'm so glad I got the combo kit because I have the dental caps which are much easier to talk in :D