PDA

View Full Version : Undertaker's Hat construction?

MagdaleneDaae
06-22-2011, 09:18 AM
I suck at making hats. Really, I just...I'm the worst. I did a Clopin cosplay when I was sixteen which looked great except for the miserably terrible hat which either kept going flat or was so stiff it didn't have the desired effect.

I am part of a Black Butler cosplay group for day 1 of Otakon and originally I was going as Grell, but the thing is, I liked Undertaker better to begin with, I don't dislike Grell, it's just Undertaker's hair colour looks better on me, I can do his accent better and I REALLY like applying scar make up.

I have my whole Grell costume all ready, I was just trying to decide a prop and then I thought since I can't do a chainsaw on such short notice and my sewing scissors violate con safety rules, I will make a cinematic record since I took book binding one year at school. However having watched a few more episodes, I feel that prop also fits Undertaker better.

Which is all just back story leading up to my question: How do I make his hat? I just got a wig that will arrive on Monday, his frock coat and overcoat will be a breeze for me and his jewelry is simple enough, I have enough scar make-up to outfit an army of Ledger Jokers and zombie lovers and his shoes I can just wear black boots, all I need help on is this stupid hat, it looks so simple but I know if I fly blind on this it'll come back and bite me in the ass. Please suggestions?

SeakunDesuyo
06-25-2011, 05:50 PM
I am hugely artistically-challenged, so finding a way to make my own hats was a huge challenge for me. :) But I found this one tutorial that, with a few minor adjustments, can make Undertaker's hat.

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs29/f/2008/069/f/4/Mini_Top_Hat_Tutorial_by_fetishfaerie_stock.jpg

This one makes smaller top hats, but just double the proportions and it'll be bigger. :)

Contrary to popular belief, hot glue guns aren't too expensive - I've made quite a few of these hats with mine, which I got at Wal-Mart for under five bucks. :)

From this tutorial, I've made a smaller version of Undertaker's hat, which wound up looking awesome (sort of). If you want a picture, I could try to dig up my camera to take one. :)

Oh, by the way, I'm going as Grell for Anime Boston next year (and, much to my chagrin, two of my male friends instantly volunteered to be my Undertaker and Will). Gotta love the two of them. :)

Good luck!! :)

MagdaleneDaae
06-25-2011, 06:05 PM
I am hugely artistically-challenged, so finding a way to make my own hats was a huge challenge for me. :) But I found this one tutorial that, with a few minor adjustments, can make Undertaker's hat.

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs29/f/2008/069/f/4/Mini_Top_Hat_Tutorial_by_fetishfaerie_stock.jpg

This one makes smaller top hats, but just double the proportions and it'll be bigger. :)

Contrary to popular belief, hot glue guns aren't too expensive - I've made quite a few of these hats with mine, which I got at Wal-Mart for under five bucks. :)

From this tutorial, I've made a smaller version of Undertaker's hat, which wound up looking awesome (sort of). If you want a picture, I could try to dig up my camera to take one. :)

Oh, by the way, I'm going as Grell for Anime Boston next year (and, much to my chagrin, two of my male friends instantly volunteered to be my Undertaker and Will). Gotta love the two of them. :)

Good luck!! :)

Thanks! I actually ended up with a Sebastian cosplayer offering to make me a hat and give it to me at the convention as part of a small skit, which should be amusing, but I'll keep the tutorial in mind for later use and other hats! Good luck at Anime Boston, I myself have a Black Butler group for day 1 of Otakon as I mentioned, I have Drocell, Will, Meyrin and Madame Red with me XD.