PDA

View Full Version : Maid in steampunk?

AeraKira
06-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Hello, I''m pretty new to steampunk, and a friend of mine who has been in steampunk, even part of a large group at World Steam, suggested I try for a maid when I said I wanted to go for something of more of the working class variety.
When we were going over the ideas for it together, the thought of me being an "undercover" came into play. Acting as a maid and still performing some of those duties, but only for the reason that it would make protecting an area more possible.
I would be a sniper, but my question is this; is the idea too far fetched?
It seems a bit quirky, which I enjoy, but I don't want my first steampunk persona to be found annoying over over the top.

And also, if it is fine, what sorts of things would you suggest to further the "steampunkness" of the outfit. I was thinking of having the standard black dress, but dying a white apron brown with tea...but other then that, I'm at a bit of a loss. Everything and anything would be useful!
Thanks in advance!

Seiten Taisei
06-23-2011, 01:42 PM
The idea of a sniper maid is not as farfetched as you think. I think it is a wonderful twist to your average maid. (I also think there is an Anime that has a sniper maid, but not steampunk-y)

As for the outfit, for a maid, I think of something comfortable.
(mind you this is my opinion)
You don't really see maids wear corsets, something with a nice fitting vest. The Apron I can see being the full fronted apron with a belt or two to hold it on. The headdressings, you could take your tridintional maid headdress and goggles to it?

LadyAri13
09-19-2011, 10:45 AM
how about garter type utility belt sort of thing. Sort of hidden tools of your trade. I would think of ways to use accesories n unique ways; sort of like they hav a double life of their own i.e glasses that r really a camera, a key ring of various keys that really open doors to safehouses or suppy houses hidden n the keys belonging to the home u r employed by etc

LotusDarkshi
09-19-2011, 03:59 PM
I love LadyAri's ideas with the keys. Maybe a serving tray or duster that has some hidden gadgets too would be nice. I know in traditional standards and can be used in Steampunk is poison lockets or rings. These can be added to a hair accessory too. http://www.amazon.com/Poison-Carnelian-Sterling-Silver-Artisan/dp/B004YTNUQY This is just a sample and I know their not horribly hard to make and sometimes can be found cheap online.

I think it's all about using your imagination, finding some of the basic things yuo can use as a maid and modifying it to something new and nifty.

thewolfelord
09-19-2011, 07:09 PM
Your broom / mop is the barrel of your rifle ...

Garen
10-03-2011, 12:47 AM
The idea of a sniper maid is not as farfetched as you think. I think it is a wonderful twist to your average maid. (I also think there is an Anime that has a sniper maid, but not steampunk-y)

Maylene from Kuroshitsuji. She and her colleagues are essentially a three-man army whose job is to protect the estate without looking like it. She's got a fairly standard maid outfit, but it's got a strap that buttons onto her apron to hike the skirt up so it's out of the way when she's crouching.

But yah, it's not too farfetched, and it sounds like a neat idea to play with. For instance, does your employer know that you're undercover? If yes, was it your idea or theirs? If no, what are your reasons?

LadyAri13
10-26-2011, 12:23 AM
I love LadyAri's ideas with the keys. Maybe a serving tray or duster that has some hidden gadgets too would be nice. I know in traditional standards and can be used in Steampunk is poison lockets or rings. These can be added to a hair accessory too. http://www.amazon.com/Poison-Carnelian-Sterling-Silver-Artisan/dp/B004YTNUQY This is just a sample and I know their not horribly hard to make and sometimes can be found cheap online.

I think it's all about using your imagination, finding some of the basic things yuo can use as a maid and modifying it to something new and nifty.

Thanks! :-)
I hav a poison ring, love them! The locket makes more sense on a maid Im thinking.

Ororo Monroe
12-04-2011, 01:49 AM
Even though it's been two months, I've got to say it... why would you dye your apron with tea. Take pride in having white linens and underthings. Two, I have a corset pattern for maids. It was shocking for women to consider not wearing a corset.