PDA

View Full Version : Soul Cailbur Tira Hoop!

UnseenDeath
06-26-2011, 04:44 PM
Hi guys~!
This is my first time posting here at cosplay.com so I am hoping for really good advice.

I have been cosplaying as Tira for a while now and I already have a hoop prop made. However, it is made out of plywood. It is heavy, pointy, semi not legal in cons, and doesn't fit in my car without breaking it.

So what i need help with is how do i make a hoop that is easy to take apart (so i can fit it in my car) something that can be legal in con no matter what, printable and not heavy. I live in a small apartment and I am moving at the end of the month. So, i need a material that is easy to work with, not a lot of mess and doesn't require a lot of tools.

I was thinking of using that pink foam that you can get at any hardware stores. Then cutting it the shape of the hoop, then cutting it into sections of two or three. they would mate together (one side male the other side female) and put a whole threw them in order put a pin in each mated area. This would make it hold better while carrying and posing with.

Comments, Suggestions? any kind of help will be very much appreciated.

2DLogic
06-26-2011, 10:25 PM
I was thinking of using that pink foam that you can get at any hardware stores. Then cutting it the shape of the hoop, then cutting it into sections of two or three. they would mate together (one side male the other side female) and put a whole threw them in order put a pin in each mated area. This would make it hold better while carrying and posing with.

Comments, Suggestions? any kind of help will be very much appreciated.

Your idea is very sound. Based on your wants of construction its almost exactly what I'd recommend. Split it down the middle, you should be able to fit that in all but the smallest cars with no trouble.

Covering your weapon in fiberglass and resin will also give you a durable, very smooth finish that will protect it quite well. Though that isn't very friendly to a small apartment.

UnseenDeath
06-27-2011, 12:53 AM
Your idea is very sound. Based on your wants of construction its almost exactly what I'd recommend. Split it down the middle, you should be able to fit that in all but the smallest cars with no trouble.

Covering your weapon in fiberglass and resin will also give you a durable, very smooth finish that will protect it quite well. Though that isn't very friendly to a small apartment.

I work for a fiberglass company so it would be cheap and easy to cover my hoop in fiberglass. If I use the pink foam will it melt if i use the 2 part resin? Will i have De-Lamination issues just because the foam is a lot more poris and will just soak the resin?:D

catfetus
06-27-2011, 08:05 AM
I work for a fiberglass company so it would be cheap and easy to cover my hoop in fiberglass. If I use the pink foam will it melt if i use the 2 part resin? Will i have De-Lamination issues just because the foam is a lot more poris and will just soak the resin?:D

You can coat it with something first to prevent that from happening (to prevent the resin from touching the foam itself), anything like Gesso, or paper mache, or modge podge will do. Or you could just use a different type of resin.
Pink foam is a good idea though, that's what I was going to suggest.

GCNgamer128
06-27-2011, 11:12 AM
Coat it with Bondo first, then sand it down with coarse grit sandpaper (100 grit). Once it's sanded, you'll be able to lay down the fiberglass, but since you'd be putting it on the exterior, you will need to prime it, then lay down more Bondo, then sand it down until it's smooth.

UnseenDeath
06-27-2011, 01:56 PM
The bondo will give it a smooth finish, I agree however, I am terribly allergic to Bondo and am not able to use it. The whole going to the hospital doesnt sound like fun.

I think I will use Mold filler to coat the pink foam, then sand it down, then lay the fiberglass using a standard 205 resin and 105 hardener. I am assuming that i will have to sand it again after. I will use a hard clear surface coat to cover it after i pant it. (the surface coat is normally put into the mold before laying the fiber glass down but since i am doing it the opposite way, I dont see why that wont give me a good finish.)

UnseenDeath
08-23-2011, 11:24 PM
Hey guys here is the finished product. I ran out of time completely so i was unable to make the cool designs on it. Half way threw the con the latchs broke thus why the tape was on it. I am remaking it again later this month ^_^ thank you all for your help
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=898581798318&set=t.1136734284&type=1&theater