PDA

View Full Version : Chi Chi Costume Help!

Ree21
06-26-2011, 10:05 PM
Hey Guys!:wave:
So this past year my life has been all but consumed by school and work.
I have four weeks until Otakon in Baltimore and I decided last year to be the teenage version of chi chi from dragon ball.
I found this version of her outfit: http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j273/babsygurl1516/4483359126_b073ffb805_bn-Copy.jpg
I Know it is missing the pants and boots. I just kind of like this version better for myself. I am an odd shape and the pants she wears makes me look very... well not good. I am probably going to get some heat for this variation. :eeek:
/Anywhoo! I need help in finding a pattern! The Joann stores HAVE NO cheongsam patterns around me! Does anyone know what the best pattern online would be for her costume? I am so sorry to bother everyone!
Uh school soo got in the way of my creativity this year!
Please and Thank you!
-Ree:spinner:

EchoesxGrace
06-28-2011, 01:28 AM
Hi there :) I recently cosplayed this exact same chi chi at animenext 2011
What I ended up doing for her outfit was buying a long plain blue dress and then I chopped off the straps and hemmed it. I used the left over fabric to make a mandarin- esque collar and loosely followed this tutorial here http://www.ehow.com/how_5251323_sew-mandarin-collar.html
I goofed up on the sewing though and made it a bit too small for my head so I added in a small zipper on the back. It was covered by my wig though so it all worked out. As for the detailing on the dress, I cut out long strips of pink/ reddish fabric and sewed on about 1 inch wide strips to the sides and arm holes of the dress to make the outline on the dress. Next I sewed on a 1/2 inch by 7 inch strip of fabric on to the front of the dress and added on 1/2 inch by 1 inch strips to give it that Chinese look.
For her armbands I drafted up a quick pattern by measuring the smallest part of my wrist and the thickest part of where it would extend to on my arms as well as how long I wanted the armbands to be. I sewed in some elastic before hand to make sure that it would fit over my hands yet also stay up on my arms and then sewed the armbands.
I didn't really bother getting too detail oriented for her shoes ( I just wore some black flats) but if you're picky you can always get some cheap flats or Chinese slippers and cover them with the same fabric that you used for her outline and armbands. I wouldn't recommend hot glueing the fabric on though, seeing as it might show through or get bumpy.
For her hair tie it's just a matter of using a left over piece of pink/ reddish fabric to cover an actual hair to hold her hair in place.
And Ta- da! You've got yourself a chi chi cosplay! I'll post some of my pictures soon to give you an idea of the final result. Good luck!