PDA

View Full Version : AM2 2011 Feedback Thread

Hime no Toki
07-04-2011, 08:27 PM
This thread is for posting your thoughts/opinions on AM2 2011!

From your experience this year, what were the pros and cons? What were the highlights and lowlights? Would you return again next year?

Also, you can discuss the particulars of the convention, such as the events, panels, masquerade, dances, etc., as well as what you thought about the con and hotel staff, the hotel, convention space, food, dealer's room, attendees, and whatever else pertaining to this year's AM2!

Sexy Kat-Kashi
07-04-2011, 09:15 PM
This thread is for posting your thoughts/opinions on AM2 2011!

From your experience this year, what were the pros and cons? What were the highlights and lowlights? Would you return again next year?

Also, you can discuss the particulars of the convention, such as the events, panels, masquerade, dances, etc., as well as what you thought about the con and hotel staff, the hotel, convention space, food, dealer's room, attendees, and whatever else pertaining to this year's AM2!

I really enjoyed the con it was very laid back it seemed which made me enjoy it.
Only even slight issue I had with the con it that me and a few friends were told to come back to dealers hall before it closed at 6 on Sunday so we could buy something since we had to go to a panel. But when we got back to the dealers hall at about 5:45 or so it was already closed pretty much that no one else could go in to buy things.

AuroraHermione
07-04-2011, 09:44 PM
All in all I thought it was great for a first year convention. I do have a few suggestions/comments though:
~The Artist Alley was in a strange area, and it seemed like a lot of people didn't know where it was or missed it. I think it would have been better had it been switched with the Matsuri area, and closer to the dealers hall, rather than on the other side.
~The Matsuri music was way too loud! We had a table in the AA and at times we were having a lot of trouble doing business because the music was so loud, we couldn't talk to customers and they left. We honestly felt that it negatively impacted our sales. The stage should have been much further from the Artist Alley/other activities or the sound should have been much lower. We did speak to con staff, who said that each group chose the volume, which I don't think is ideal. The convention should dictate a max volume so that it doesn't interfere with other parts of the convention.

ReverseTrap
07-04-2011, 10:16 PM
I enjoyed the con a lot. It did well for its first year. But maybe next year the dates should not coincide with Anime Expo for more attendees (and to make it less obvious that they were competing.) Also, the events in the main hall should be open later because the convention center didn't have that many people inside. Overall, the con had a great atmosphere and I cannot wait for next year.

Access
07-04-2011, 11:00 PM
I went to a concert every day and I enjoyed them all, and all the musical guests seemed to be really enjoying themselves.

I agree about the music in the exhibit hall. Maybe have the prime times for dealers and artists limited to atmospheric music. I also would have liked to have seen more artists in artists' alley. And more cosplayers, just in general. The concentration of dealers was actually pretty good and I was happy with what I could find in the dealers hall.

It's hard to complain about the con itself, the staff was very friendly, the lines were well-managed and it seemed like the concert hall was about the right size.

BTW I don't believe it was intentional that it was held at the same time as AX.

One thing to add it was nice to see Kanon participating in the masquerade.

LelouchYamazaki
07-04-2011, 11:54 PM
It was a very enjoyable con for its first year,

a few things I could say in my opinion:

things were running late a few times, having me dash around to catch the next one to find out it was also late, but was mostly panels concerts were great thou I only caught Scandal and Kanon x Kanon.

I had missed artist alley a few times since I did see the matsuri and exhibit but when I saw consoles I saw the AA after that was fun.

and thats about it, it was fun while I was there...oh and for meet and greats longer next time please I know there were tons of people especially for Scandal but all the people who were there had question mine was missed.

ElCapitan
07-05-2011, 02:56 AM
First off, thanks to everyone who has replied in this thread, as well as those who do so in the future. We greatly appreciate any constructive feedback. I'll try to respond as time allows.

@Sexy Kat-Kashi: Glad to hear you enjoyed con. Sorry to hear about you missing the dealers you wanted. While the Exhibits area was technically open until 6pm, I noticed at around 5pm or so that most of the vendors had started packing up early. In the future, I'd suggest that you try to make any purchases at least 2 hrs before the scheduled closing time. There will always be some vendors shutting down before Exhibits actually closes, just to get a head start on moveout. I've seen this in other cons as well, which leads me to believe it's typical of conventions in general (not just anime cons).

@AuroraHermione: Thanks for the suggestion regarding Artist Alley. I believe that the room was arranged that way so that people sitting at the tables inside the pirate and game areas would be able to see the stage better. We reconsider the layout each year, and I'll mention this in the planning of 2012. Agreed on the Summer Festival music volumes, I proposed a solution on Day 1, and it is my hope to see it implemented next year.

@ReverseTrap: While nothing has been officially announced, I can say that we certainly enjoy Anaheim and alternate dates have already been discussed. I think most people can agree that it's best for both parties if we avoid sharing the weekend with AX.

@Access: We'll be working on bringing in more artists in the future. I think that as a first year con, many exhibitors and artists were hesitant to have booths/tables with us. That said, people seem to have overwhelmingly appreciated con this year. Now that we've established ourselves, I think people will be a lot more willing to commit.

@LelouchYamazaki: At the very least, we'll work on having better signage for any parts of the hall that are less visible in future years. Sorry about the short time for the Meet and Greets. After the Day 1 M&G, we saw that very many people weren't able to get in, and cut down on the time between cycles to fix this issue. While doing so obviously means each attendee gets less time with the guests, we felt it was much more fair than having a ton of people get completely left out.

Wren
07-05-2011, 03:18 PM
Think we had more fun at AM2 this year, everyone seemed friendlier and more mature, no running around screaming or clogging the walkways.

Very laid back and nice, hope you guys can grow some more next year but still keep the laid back feel

Expo was way overcrowded.

Wouldnt mind going to AM2 again though.

daylight
07-05-2011, 06:29 PM
pros:
really laid back and low key

easy to get around/ organized

friendly staff

clean

cons:
I noticed allot of people were confused/aggravated about the passport situation
The differences between the 3 day, 1, day, single event ticket/wrist band seemed a little excessive

The performances for the summer festival were nice, but it was a little hard to eat, and sit down and talk with friends with all that going on, it was really loud
It would have been easier for me and my friends to have had the tables for eating elsewhere

overall
Great for a fist convention, it was above my expectations
I was only able to be there for Friday, but it was great, and I had soo much fun
Sadie concert was my first concert
and AM^2 was my first Convention
and I had an amazing and unforgettable time

LelouchYamazaki
07-06-2011, 02:15 PM
we did about the same, day 2 I grabbed some adobo and takoyaki sat by the stage it was the harujuku girls was so loud we couldnt talked and moved near the console room.

KUJO3423
07-07-2011, 11:07 AM
I agree that AM 2 was super relaxed and easy to get around. My friends and I had a great time wondering around the dealers tables but I have a few suggestions:

1) Lowering the volume of the stage. It was impossible to talk to people standing right next to you when you were anywhere near the stage.
2) Having signs in the front/side (we drove up on the side the Marriott? was on) of the convention center because we almost weren't sure AM2 was going on since we didn't see anyone wondering outside or signs pointing out AM2 was inside.
3) The food trucks were a great idea but I was a little sad to see only three there on Sunday. Not blaming you guys, I figured it was a busy holiday weeekend they might not have gotten enough business Fri and Sat so they left early.

Overall I would go back to AM2 next year, especially since it is free. I wouldn'y mind paying a small fee to enter in the future. Please bring more dealers, artists and video games to the arcade. See you guys next year!

PS- The AC setting was perfect and where were you selling your shirts/buttons/etc. I wanted to get a shirt but never saw where to purchase one.

El_Duque
07-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Just put it on a different weekend and in a hotel.

Access
07-07-2011, 01:03 PM
Just put it on a different weekend and in a hotel.
Except that if it was on a different weekend, it may suddenly become too big for just a hotel...

El_Duque
07-07-2011, 01:26 PM
Except that if it was on a different weekend, it may suddenly become too big for just a hotel...

IMO AM2 tried to start off too big by using the ACC and the fact that it was on the same weekend as AX didn't help them either.

The only way to fix this is get a different weekend which so many are wishing for and at a venue which is best suited for them that has that availability.

Thymidine
07-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Truthfully, you cannot believe the ANN article. Our concerts were maximum 1338 seating and except for heidi. we filled in all the seats. (Not the 500 that they mentioned). They also went out of their way to take photos of areas that were closed off to attendees and also take photos of the exhibit hall DURING the kanonxkanon concert. Here's a photo of our hall on Saturday not during the concert:

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/264798_1956861635130_1050390002_31757556_3026173_n .jpg

Honestly, AM2 is TOO big for a hotel. Different dates is a must though.

El_Duque
07-07-2011, 02:04 PM
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/264798_1956861635130_1050390002_31757556_3026173_n .jpg

Is that Chaz in the middle? XD

animejunkie
07-07-2011, 03:01 PM
I agree with El Duque in that perhaps AM2 tried to do too much in its first year; no matter what anyone says otherwise, putting it up against AX was a mistake and I hope that next year they are able to have this on different dates.

Access
07-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Okay but animejunkie did either of you two actually experience any part of the convention itself? If not, that's analysis, not commentary... you're drawing conclusions based on what you've heard not actual personal experience.

Ali
07-07-2011, 04:35 PM
Some other dates would be great. It was so nice to return to the ACC, I like to hope I'll be able to do it again.

I was a little frustrated by how unknowledgeable some of the staff seemed to be. I cannot recall who we talked to, but we got what turned out to be a wrong answer for getting the Disneyland discount offered, and were unable to take advantage of that. Some clearer instructions offered to the attendees in the passports or online about redeeming some of those would have been really great.

I ended up missing a lot more of the con than I'd intended, but I did like the relaxed small-con atmosphere.

El_Duque
07-07-2011, 04:49 PM
Okay but animejunkie did either of you two actually experience any part of the convention itself? If not, that's analysis, not commentary... you're drawing conclusions based on what you've heard not actual personal experience.

We would have went if it was on a separate weekend, hence the suggestion to put in on a separate weekend.

I'm also interested to know what was the con's unique attendance because 8,000 sounds more like a turnstyle for a first year small con.

thetrueking
07-07-2011, 05:06 PM
According to this: http://forums.am2con.org/index.php?/topic/515-convention-feedback/page__view__findpost__p__3458

The 8,000 is their unique number while they have not released turnstyle.

thetrueking
07-07-2011, 05:10 PM
Sorry for the double post..They just posted their own photo album

http://www.flickr.com/photos/am2convention/

From what I experienced at their convention I think these photos do them a lot more justice than the emptiness that ANN seemed to want to portray. I must also add that attendee experience is much more important than attendance count in how to judge how well a convention did. As shown by their convention feedback thread on their forums AM2 did have quite a bit of issues, but their past experiences in running conventions definitely showed in how they put on a great show

Access
07-07-2011, 05:20 PM
I'm also interested to know what was the con's unique attendance because 8,000 sounds more like a turnstyle for a first year small con.
They used a turnstyle to measure it, placed at the entry to the main hall. But it would not be a classical turnstyle count because they were telling anyone who had already gone through the turnstyle once to go around. So ultimately it would have led to a unique count.

They also have a passport metric, I'm not sure about the exact math here but a certain percentage of the passport proceeds went to charity and I don't remember what that percentage was or how much actually went. But probably if you knew the number and the percentage and the price range that passports were sold for, you could calculate the approximate number of passports sold.

Hakaider
07-07-2011, 05:21 PM
In terms of feedback...

I must say that it was a quite enjoyable experience. It was a more relaxed con, and the staff was quite friendly. The lines moved quickly for the events, and they had some really good J-Pop & J-Rock concerts. (The "Scandal" concert was awesome!) While this convention is not as big as AX or Comic Con by any means, it is a fair sized con, and it could potentially grow really fast if it is done right within the next few years.

The Masquerade itself was very well run & friendly. The Masquerade Coordinator was also very easy to approach to & talk to as well.

The only negative thing about this event was the people from the "Moose" Convention. They were sharing the AM2 event at the Anaheim Convention Center, and some of them were rude, obnoxious and pointed & snickered at all the cosplayers. (After awhile, it started to get really annoying.)

There was also a couple of bearded men with baseball hats from the "Moose" convention who were wearing Confederate flag T-shirts, and hurled 4 letter words at some of the the cosplayers. One of them used a derogatory word that questioned the sexuality of the cosplayers.

I really hope AM2 doesn't share with the "Moose" con the next time. I also do hope that AM2 doesn't share the same July 4th weekend date as AX the next time as well.

*On a sidenote...A funny thing also happened when our cosplay friends were dining at the Anaheim Cheese Cake factory restaurant during the con. The all girl band members of the J-Pop group "Scandal", and their entourage ended up sitting right behind us.*

dcpoor
07-07-2011, 05:57 PM
drat, should've eaten at cheese cake factory. :sulk:
lol

KUJO3423
07-07-2011, 06:15 PM
They are too big for just a hotel. Location is fine just move the date a few weeks so people have time to save up some more money to spend.

thetrueking
07-07-2011, 06:36 PM
I have heard from a pretty credible source that AM2 is over 125,000 dollars in debt right now or overspent and did not make back. How are they going to recover from that is my fear...

Hazel Chaz
07-07-2011, 06:36 PM
They are too big for just a hotel. Location is fine just move the date a few weeks so people have time to save up some more money to spend.

They could easily fit into the Anaheim Marriott or the Anaheim Hilton.

Is that Chaz in the middle? XD

Yes, that's me in the brown clothes, with Melody on one side and Christian B. McGuire on the other.

ElCapitan
07-07-2011, 06:45 PM
I have heard from a pretty credible source that AM2 is over 125,000 dollars in debt right now or overspent and did not make back. How are they going to recover from that is my fear...
We are not $125k in debt.

I'd love to hear who this "pretty reliable source" is, but of course I don't expect you to actually provide us with any backup for why this source (or you) should be considered trustworthy.

There's little reason to believe that you are anything more than a troll trying to tear down what many people have worked very hard to put together.

Hakaider
07-07-2011, 07:36 PM

Unfortunately, that's probably not likely. It would be too small to fit everyone.

KUJO3423
07-07-2011, 08:05 PM
The only negative thing about this event was the people from the "Moose" Convention. They were sharing the AM2 event at the Anaheim Convention Center, and some of them were rude, obnoxious and pointed & snickered at all the cosplayers. (After awhile, it started to get really annoying.)

There was also a couple of bearded men with baseball hats from the "Moose" convention who were wearing Confederate flag T-shirts, and hurled 4 letter words at some of the the cosplayers. One of them used a derogatory word that questioned the sexuality of the cosplayers.

I really hope AM2 doesn't share with the "Moose" con the next time. I also do hope that AM2 doesn't share the same July 4th weekend date as AX the next time as well.

Moose convention? My friend mentioned something about this but I thought they were joking. What the heck is a moose convention?

Hakaider
07-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Moose convention? My friend mentioned something about this but I thought they were joking. What the heck is a moose convention?

The Loyal Order of Moose is a private fraternal organization that's like the Freemasons, the Shriners, and the Elks lodge. They have a secret oath just like the Masons.

Their past history isn't that great though. When it first started out back in the 1888, only whites or Caucasians were allowed in the private club, and women weren't allowed to join until the 20th century. Members were also not not allowed to marry non-whites, and this practice continued well into the late 20th century. (This is no longer the case today, but it wasn't that long ago that non-whites were banned from membership.) Women however, still have to join a separate Moose fraternal order that's called "Women of the Moose", and they can not join the official Loyal Order of The Moose.

And no, it's not a Christian organization by any means. (Christian churches have also some disputes with them in the past with regards to some of the Moose's secret doctrines & pledges.)

The lodges have very strict requirements for private membership, and they used to check on your family background and your ancestors.

Here's their website:

http://www.ca-nvmoose.org/html/coming_events.html

http://www.ca-nvmoose.org/html/cnma.html

Moose history:

http://www.mooseintl.org/public/Area/History.asp

There was also an incident as late as 1994 where a African American was barred from membership into a Moose Lodge:

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1994-02-18/news/1994049051_1_moose-lodge-moose-member-lodge-membership

KUJO3423
07-07-2011, 08:53 PM
WOW...you learn something new every day. Thank you Hakaider for the history lesson. To be honest the first thing that came to my mind was furries.

Hakaider
07-07-2011, 09:19 PM
No problem, KUJO3423.:)

And no, you couldn't pay me enough to join the "The Loyal Order Of The Moose".

I would rather join Natsha & Boris! :rofl:

(Little joke there from the "Rocky & Bullwinkle" cartoon.)

Simmaria
07-08-2011, 01:31 AM
Pretty sure the moose lodge convention has been held in a different spot every year, so I wouldn't count on it being there next year. Interestingly enough I had a opposite reaction from people I ran into. Guess there's an asshole in every group.

Blue6
07-08-2011, 02:53 AM
If they had been available at the time.

Also, do either have a Ballroom with a 1.5k capacity?

LelouchYamazaki
07-08-2011, 03:14 AM
I met a few of the Moose people and they were very nice and polite even bought me a few drinks with some friends.

some asked what was going on and I know some were like wait what are they doing but overall I just kept walking cept for the kind ones, but was interesting apparently they were the loudest in all the hilton even compared to some of the room parties.

well am2 2k11 is over time to see what 2k12 has in store

Hazel Chaz
07-08-2011, 03:54 AM
Unfortunately, that's probably not likely. It would be too small to fit everyone.

You may not have seen just how much function space they have. Especially after the Marriott's expansion (which happened after the last Anime Expo was held there).

I don't believe that AM2's "8000+ unique attendees" were all on-site at the same time. But even if they were, it would be possible to make it work at the Marriott, or at the Marriott plus the Hilton if you're really concerned about how much space they have.

Both hotels have their function space specs online. You could compare them to what was used at the ACC if you like. Recall that AM2 used half of a great hall, and a handful of the rooms upstairs.

If they had been available at the time.

I was theorizing what they might use next year.

Also, do either have a Ballroom with a 1.5k capacity?

There are four ballrooms with double that capacity, actually.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/event-planning/floor-plans/LAXAH
The Marquis Ballroom at the Marriott has a theater seating capacity of 3,231. The Platinum Ballroom holds 3,200.

http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/meeting_space.jhtml?ctyhocn=SNAAHHH
At the Hilton, the Pacific Ballroom and the California Pavilion EACH can hold theater seating for 3,000.

(We looked into these hotels as alternatives for future expansion of Anime Los Angeles. There's no question that they can hold us, or AM2. At the time we were looking for our 2011-2012 contract, the LAX Marriott still gave us the best deal.)

Hakaider
07-08-2011, 04:19 AM
You may not have seen just how much function space they have. Especially after the Marriott's expansion (which happened after the last Anime Expo was held there).

I don't believe that AM2's "8000+ unique attendees" were all on-site at the same time. But even if they were, it would be possible to make it work at the Marriott, or at the Marriott plus the Hilton if you're really concerned about how much space they have.

Actually, I have seen the Marriott expansion. I was just there recently. And I have stayed at the Marriott several times after AX had left Anaheim.

And I'm afraid that I still have to disagree with you. The Marriott alone simply won't fit. Or the Hilton. AX could barely fit the Hilton back in 1999 when they hit 6,400 attendees. (Were you there at AX in 1999? It was bumper to bumper people back in 1999, and there's no way that the Hilton's main ballroom could have fit the crowds at the "Scandal" concert.) The Marriott or the Hilton may work out well for the future expansion of Anime LA, but not AM2. Also, why should AM2 spread all of their events out to two different hotels when they can host it all at the ACC?

Also, if you are going to go by that style of counting, I don't think Anime LA had 3000 plus attendees that "were all on-site at the same time" either.

What may work for AnimeLA, may not work for AM2. Again, I have to emphasize that what will work for your con, Chaz, will not necessarily work for another con.

Hazel Chaz
07-08-2011, 12:01 PM
Also, if you are going to go by that style of counting, I don't think Anime LA had 3000 plus attendees that "were all on-site at the same time" either.

By Saturday at Anime Los Angeles 7, there were 3,199 people who had picked up a full-weekend or Saturday-only badge. I can tell you this number because we track when badges were picked up as well as what kind of badge they were. So I've removed no-shows, Sundays, Friday-only, and other not-eligible-on-Saturday people.

And judging by our room-nights, I'm reasonably certain that we had most of the people who had picked up their badges the day before.

Anyhow, the Anime Los Angeles 7 crowds on Saturday afternoon were much thicker than the Saturday crowds at AM^2. Therefore, I conclude that AM^2 must have had a lot of people who didn't stick around for the day, especially if they had twice as many unique attendees.

And to answer the question of "why use hotels" the usual reason is that there's better negotiation opportunities. When another group I'm involved with signed the contract for the 2006 World Science Fiction Convention's use of the Convention Center, it cost $139,000 to rent a great hall and the ballrooms upstairs. In comparison, the space available at the Hilton & Marriott that was used didn't cost us as much, even though there was a lot more rooms and a lot more flexibility -- the fact that we could guarantee to fill their hotels gave us a break.

(It may come as a surprise to learn that I know more about convention-running and space usage than comes into play at Anime Los Angeles. But based on what I saw at AM^2, I believe they would have been a better fit in the bignormous ballroom space that the Marriott has.)

And I'm afraid that I still have to disagree with you. The Marriott alone simply won't fit. Or the Hilton. AX could barely fit the Hilton back in 1999 when they hit 6,400 attendees.

But AM^2 is nothing like Anime Expo. The crowds didn't stick around. People came to Anime Expo and spent the day. Do you have any figures for the traffic flow at AM^2? It would have been interesting to have a time-lapse camera on the hall to see how the ebb and flow worked.

In any event, you don't think the Marriott or the Hilton would work for AM^2. I think they would. But I'm not in charge of negotiating their contract for next year, so my opinion doesn't have much influence here.

Hakaider
07-08-2011, 12:22 PM
By Saturday at Anime Los Angeles 7, there were 3,199 people who had picked up a full-weekend or Saturday-only badge. I can tell you this number because we track when badges were picked up as well as what kind of badge they were. So I've removed no-shows, Sundays, Friday-only, and other not-eligible-on-Saturday people.

So did you have 3,199 attendees all together at once at the very same time in the very same building on the very same hour?

(It may come as a surprise to learn that I know more about convention-running and space usage than comes into play at Anime Los Angeles.

That actually shouldn't be a surprise. You ARE the con chair of AnimeLA. It's your job to know these things. If you didn't know about these things, then I would start to worry about AnimeLA. (But from all indications, you have been running it well.)

But AM^2 is nothing like Anime Expo. The crowds didn't stick around. People came to Anime Expo and spent the day. Do you have any figures for the traffic flow at AM^2? It would have been interesting to have a time-lapse camera on the hall to see how the ebb and flow worked.

No, it isn't Anime Expo, but it's run by former AX staffers. I think that it will grow rapidly within the next few years if it is done well & done right. They could easily hit over 15,000 within 3 years, and it may very well become one of the fastest growing anime cons in the West Coast. (If it is done right.)

As for the crowds...all I can say is this:

http://www.cosplay.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36349&d=1310073544

(And I think that we should put a circle around your image, because I still can't find you in there. It's like finding "Waldo" in there.)

And this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/am2convention/5912780549/in/photostream

It's not very likely that those crowds would fit in the Hilton or the Marriott alone.

But I'm not in charge of negotiating their contract for next year, so my opinion doesn't have much influence here.

As I said before, (And you do run a fine con) AM2 isn't the same as Anime LA here. Chase isn't you and you are not Chase. I'm sure that both you and Chase are going to have a different outlook & perspective on certain things. Let Chase decide what would be best for AM2, and you can decide what would be best for yours.

Access
07-08-2011, 12:38 PM
In my estimation, a large hotel like the ones Chaz mentioned would have been fine for this year. But that's this year, where it was concurrent with AX. If in future years the goal is to hold it non-concurrently with AX, and continue to bring the big musical guests of honor like they did this year, it would need a place like the ACC. That's just my thoughts though, this year should be considered a special case, not as a benchmark for future size.

Personally I love the hotel-based cons but I can only imagine what a hotel venue would be like when 6000, 7000, 8000+ on site at the same time. The largest hotel I know of is the Town and Country (San Diego), I guess you'd call it a Mega-hotel -- does LA have anything comparable? And even that, I think if you had both the main convention section and the other section, you might be able to comfortably fit a convention in the 5000 person range, 6000-8000 range if you really pushed it. Not a whole lot more.

Hazel Chaz
07-08-2011, 12:53 PM
http://www.cosplay.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36349&d=1310073544

(And I think that we should put a circle around your image, because I still can't find you in there. It's like finding "Waldo" in there.)

I'm not in the crowd that was blocking the entrance. I'm not facing the camera, I'm facing to the right, over near the booths. And I'm wearing a plain brown shirt, not an aloha shirt. (It was a very simple costume, but you can't tell from that angle.)

Find the guy in the orange shirt with the white markings, and go straight up.

ElCapitan
07-08-2011, 01:01 PM
This possibility was actually discussed in specific. We cannot fit in either the Marriott or Hilton alone. We might be able to fit if we use both concurrently, but as mentioned prior, there are negatives inherent to splitting con across two sites.

Consider this: Half of Hall B is about 70k sq ft, and Main Events was about 23k. That adds up to almost exactly the combined space of all major ballrooms in both hotels combined. So let's say we get exactly the same amount of space for 2012 as we had for this year. Doing so largely curtails our growth, most notably for the Exhibits area.

This was a trial year for us in many respects. Many exhibitors (and attendees) were understandably hesitant to give us a shot. I think it's safe to say that we've proven ourselves now, and we are most likely shifting to another weekend. Between those two factors, it's reasonable to expect at least moderate growth, and we need to plan accordingly.

At any rate, one of the main reasons we haven't announced anything for 2012 yet is that we are still looking at all the factors and making our decision. There's obviously a lot to take into consideration.

usachanpeace
07-08-2011, 01:54 PM
I wanted to attend AM2 but AX is the con who had Miku and my friend there to see Miku so... :thumbsup: Also, it was my friend's first convention so I wanted to take her to the biggest convention.

I wanted to see Kanon Wakeshima though! :blubber:

So, yes, please make AM2 on another weekend.

Or just get a hello!project group like ºC-ute or Buono and I'll ditch AX for you guys. :razz:

El_Duque
07-08-2011, 04:47 PM
I say stick around in the OC. Orange County needs another big name con. LA already has AX, ALA, and PMX and San Diego has Comic Con and now Anime Conji. How about looking in and around Irvine? It's a nice city IMO.

Thymidine
07-08-2011, 06:27 PM
I think ACC is fine. If it had not been on the same weekend at AX i'm sure attendance would have been 10K or more and there would be a ton of people complaining that they did not get into the concerts, which is likely to happen next year.

I think AM2 should charge for their concerts and leave exhibit hall free though.

KUJO3423
07-08-2011, 09:01 PM
Or just get a hello!project group like ºC-ute or Buono and I'll ditch AX for you guys. :razz:[/QUOTE]

Yes, please bring someone from hello!project !!!

iaShakezula
07-08-2011, 09:40 PM
Yeah I was there Saturday Morning and left noon time to go to AX , that was pretty stressful.... and then went back Sunday around 400 pm for the Scandal concert.I was really stressing out because I want to go there but I have to here ...

The staff was great , the little activities in the huge hall was fun.

But From what I observed, AnimeLA attendance on a Saturday is lot more and exhibit hall may be small with AnimeLA but there are more attendee going in out compared to what I saw at AM2.

I agree with Chaz, that there maybe a lot who registered or got thier badges but they didnt stay at AM2 all day or all 3days either.

However It was pretty relaxing and I enjoyed my stay at AM2.

I would say if this convention was in a different weekend and not compete with Anime Expo , I would say it would easily double or triple its actual size of attendee.
So please move AM2 on a different weekend if Chase is seriously intending on keeping AM2 up.

I know there are peeps who thinks that AM2 should stay on that weekend but I think inorder for this to be profitable and recoop their expenses, I think it should be on a different weekend like Labor Day - the last weekend of Summer vacation ... kind of and if AnimeVegas fix their schedule.

Anyway , I was at the Scandal concert and that was great , it was almost full house in that ballroom, but there was a catwalk in the middle and that took some of the space .Scandal could have easily filled up the lower level of the Nokia Theater.

I agree about charging for the concert and or do the passport, keep dealer and artist hall free.I actually bought my 72 kit copic markers at AM2as well t shirts and an alien pillow , just to support AM2.

Please move AM2 to a different weekend

El_Duque
07-08-2011, 09:44 PM
I'm also curious to know what were the vendor's and artist's feelings about this first year con that was on the same weekend as AX? I know there are some that did both, but what about (if any) the ones that decided to just only do AM2?

anotherMelissa
07-08-2011, 09:49 PM
*waves* Hello! I was only at AM2 for SUNDAY, specifically for the SCANDAL concert! So I just decided to put my two cents in.

+ The location is REALLY GREAT. There are plenty of prime places to have photoshoots, plenty of hotels nearby to choose from for all those coming from distant lands, not to mention places to eat are ABUNDANT.
+ The staff there are REALLY NICE and FUNNY!! They seemed as though they were having a lot of fun and made me want to join staff for next year!
+ The price for a 3-day passport is WORTH IT. With all the perks that come with it, how can you pass up?
+ The vibe of it is very... What's the word I'm looking for?... Mellow, I suppose? It's like, you can easily make friends at this convention because it's not too big, and not too intimidating.
+Although I did not go to any panels, I saw the schedule of them and I love the variety of panels to choose from.
+ I love how it's FREE. I love how my friends who were discouraged to go elsewhere were still able to go to AM2 and have to worry only about parking, and whatever they plan on buying.
- I was saddened that I was unable to take photos with Scandal even WITH my 3-day passport which read on the inside that I would be able to take photos with them (but no autographs or sketches) at the private GoH party/meet and greet. I was fortunate enough to even be there, but it would've been amazing to get a photo with them. I dunno what it is, but it seems to me that it's usually at CONVENTIONS where I'm unable to take photos, because I know if it was just a concert not associated with a convention I would've been able to take as many photos as I wanted at the concert itself.
- I do hope they decide to change dates for upcoming years!

I've tried my best in this review to NOT compare it to other conventions. I will say I spent Friday and Saturday at Anime Expo, but it was definitely worth my Sunday evening to see Scandal, and to be able to ask them to greet my boyfriend a happy birthday at their private meet and greet Monday. I am definitely going to give AM2 a try next year!

Hakaider
07-08-2011, 10:53 PM
I would say if this convention was in a different weekend and not compete with Anime Expo , I would say it would easily double or triple its actual size of attendee.
So please move AM2 on a different weekend if Chase is seriously intending on keeping AM2 up.

I think it's pretty much given that the majority of the attendees has agreed that it shouldn't be held on a July 4th weekend the next time. The attendance would definitely jump big time, if it's held on a different date.

I would however, also recommend to not put it on the same weekend as the San Diego Comic Con.

Simmaria
07-08-2011, 11:36 PM
I think the issue of space this year is here nor there really. There was a veterinarian convention that was using almost all of the Marriott this year and a couple more rooms were used by the Mooses. Anime cons tend to grow on good feedback so I would imagine that AM2 would run out of room very quickly if they continued to grow. While I would certainly agree that AM2 was spread out to thin this year it did have the advantage of being super chill, moreso than even somewhat smaller cons like ALA. I can't tell you how nice it was to be back in Anaheim at an anime con that wasn't balls touching crowded. Also, while this has nothing to do with the convention in particular, it was mostly older less obnoxious anime fans and cosplayers at AM2. Let the vuvuzelas and "The Game" shouters stay in the pit that is downtown LA for all I care.

KUJO3423
07-09-2011, 12:09 PM
I would however, also recommend to not put it on the same weekend as the San Diego Comic Con.

YES! AM2 will be s.o.l if their con is held the same weekend of SDCC. No one can take down that mammoth of a con.

iaShakezula
07-09-2011, 12:23 PM
oh yeah i forgot about Comic Con.... yeah DONT put it on that weekend either...

Please move AM2 on a different weekend...Onegaishimasu...

El_Duque
07-09-2011, 12:58 PM
If Comic Con's reg system keeps getting messed up like this, I could see AM2 taking the advantage as being the "second chance" con. That's only if the only weekends available to them are either on AX or SDCC. I'm not sure if the results would be the same as this year, but at least the other con keeps getting sold out.

Eurobeat King
07-09-2011, 01:09 PM
You could have it on the same weekend as Otakon (end of July/beginning of August) since that's mainly for the East Coast cosplayers & fans. Some West Coasters (like myself) go there but not too many.

El_Duque
07-09-2011, 04:07 PM
I'd still say the best weekend is Labor Day weekend if Anime Vegas can't get back that weekend in whatever venue they are or were in.

Eurobeat King
07-09-2011, 04:31 PM
If Comic Con's reg system keeps getting messed up like this, I could see AM2 taking the advantage as being the "second chance" con. That's only if the only weekends available to them are either on AX or SDCC. I'm not sure if the results would be the same as this year, but at least the other con keeps getting sold out.

Regardless of SDCC's insane ticketing-system this year (and perhaps beyond), if you do manage to get a 4-day pass or 4 1-day passes, when you get to registration (depending on the amount of people & the time you go) you can be done with registration in less than 5 minutes. :D

I'd still say the best weekend is Labor Day weekend if Anime Vegas can't get back that weekend in whatever venue they are or were in.

The best con that weekend is (imo) Dragon*Con in Atlanta, GA. I don't mind traveling farther every year for an awesome weekend than go to a closer con and not have as much fun. :)

Hakaider
07-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Regardless of SDCC's insane ticketing-system this year (and perhaps beyond), if you do manage to get a 4-day pass or 4 1-day passes, when you get to registration (depending on the amount of people & the time you go) you can be done with registration in less than 5 minutes.

But that's only if you were able & lucky enough to get a membership badge. Their online ticketing system closed up within a few hours for this year, and many people simply could not get a ticket, despite waiting for hours on their computers & trying to register. (Their registration system crashed a number of times as well, due to the amount of traffic.)

However, if you are one of the lucky few who did get a ticket, their registration process at the door is one of the smoothest in the West Coast. (I can't say the same in terms of the registration process for Dragon Con. Dragon Con was one of the most awesome cons that I've ever been in, but their registration system was pathetic.)

As much as I like AV, Anime Vegas really needs to look for better hotel, that's other than the Alexis Hotel, if they want to expand & grow. I'm really sorry to say that the Alexis hotel is a real complete dump. The Cashman Center wasn't that great either. I think their problem right now is finding a good location to suit their needs. (Which is not easy because it's hard to find a hotel in Vegas that would suit their needs, and it doesn't have a casino.) The Renaissance Hotel was actually very good, but it would seem that there was some kind of a disagreement with that hotel & the con.

Personally, I think it would best if AM2 picks a 3 day weekend federal holiday. Just not on a July 4th weekend with AX or the same weekend with Comic Con.

animejunkie
07-09-2011, 11:18 PM
Been beaten to the ground already, but definitely move AM2 to a different weekend next year....attendance would improve for sure; maybe not a huge improvement, but still an improvement. I know that if it were on different dates, I would have definitely gone for at least one day...*wanted to see Scandal*. Chase, if you're really serious about growing AM2, you'll do the right thing and have it on a different weekend...trying to compete with AX every year isn't going to do you any favors.

LelouchYamazaki
07-10-2011, 04:25 AM
have to say for it to have 8k unique visits, we can thank Kanon x Kanon, Sadie, and most of all Scandal for that big of a number for AM2.

I saw the line for Scandal and Sadie both were packed going from the 2nd floor up since Shield moved the line down to avoid cutting and congestion, I skipped Sadie since not my type of music just saw the line but Scandal I saw ppl in line right after the M&G.

I do agree on a different day the numbers would of been bigger but for a first year and going against AX the number is quite surprising and you figure companies will see this number (industry and exhibitors) and want a part of this when its a different date, so I think it made its point.

I think it should stay at ACC because it was pretty big and everything was nearby, and if it grows they have a reason to use the whole convention center.

TBZK
07-14-2011, 02:14 AM
I want to say to make it a winter convention but that may be a long shot, huh? XD I just feel summertime is going to get really crowded if there's a third large con (yes, it'll be pretty large if it doesn't share it's time with AX) during the summer. And it would give people time to spend money on it (Comic con, AX & AM2 in the summer = no money to spend or go to them all or two). Eh, I tried to sound convincing XD

Maybe make it an August convention? I would say June convention but high school is still in session for the younger folk.

I didn't go because AX is my home, haha. But i'd go on a different weekend for sure. Glad to hear there was a nice turn out.

LelouchYamazaki
07-17-2011, 10:26 PM
Late June-July has always been a great time for certain cons because its when tons of people don't have regular school (summer school is diff) so its a good time, August would be a good time as well since I know most schools dont start till late august-september but winter would be tougher since most of the time people arent home or aval cause of trips and family, but a diff date for am2 would be a good idea.

Ah comic-con sigh I leave tuesday night for it and will be another long week lol.

JellySpIIrt
07-19-2011, 03:38 AM
AM2 was a very great convention, in my opinion and much more enjoyable then Anime Expo due to the wide variety of Jmusic guests and fashion designers.

What I really liked about AM2:
The wide variety of guests and very spectacular ones too [such as Sadie and KanonxKanon].
The amazingly nice staff.
The location of the convention.
The fact that it was more aimed towards lovers of Jrock / Jmusic and Jculture rather then pure anime.

Things that I would suggest changing:
*More space between events.
There were so many great things to do at this convention but everything was layered on top of each other, such as autograph signings and panels. Next year I would give more time between each event so attendees are able to do more. As example, I had to miss the Sixh / h.Naoto fashion show in order to get KanonxKanon autographs.

*Dates.
I liked the location of the convention center but maybe a week before or after AX would be better, and for those of us who want to attend both. It would be nice to keep it around AX / in summer for those of us who fly from other states to attend.

Overall, AM2 was amazing and I can't wait for next year!

ElCapitan
07-19-2011, 02:24 PM
AM2 was a very great convention, in my opinion and much more enjoyable then Anime Expo due to the wide variety of Jmusic guests and fashion designers.

What I really liked about AM2:
The wide variety of guests and very spectacular ones too [such as Sadie and KanonxKanon].
The amazingly nice staff.
The location of the convention.
The fact that it was more aimed towards lovers of Jrock / Jmusic and Jculture rather then pure anime.

Things that I would suggest changing:
*More space between events.
There were so many great things to do at this convention but everything was layered on top of each other, such as autograph signings and panels. Next year I would give more time between each event so attendees are able to do more. As example, I had to miss the Sixh / h.Naoto fashion show in order to get KanonxKanon autographs.

*Dates.
I liked the location of the convention center but maybe a week before or after AX would be better, and for those of us who want to attend both. It would be nice to keep it around AX / in summer for those of us who fly from other states to attend.

Overall, AM2 was amazing and I can't wait for next year!
Thanks for your feedback. We'd like to remain a summer convention as that's convenient for a good portion of our attendees, but our intent is to avoid sharing the same weekend as AX in future years.

As for spacing events out, I'm afraid that is simply an unsolvable problem common to all conventions. To my understanding, we did what we could to minimize counterprogramming this year, but tight timing (and at least minor overlap) is simply unavoidable.

iaShakezula
07-20-2011, 11:25 PM
i would suggest say Labor Day Weekend, end of summer.

IF AM2 is in August , there is a 2 weeks Nisei Week Festival in LA so please avoid those weekend.

I did enjoy the relaxing feel at AM2

Hakaider
07-20-2011, 11:56 PM
Also as a quick note on the 2012 dates...

AX 2012: June 29–July 2, 2012

San Diego Comic Con 2012: July 12-15, 2012 (Preview Night: July 11, 2012)

In short, there is only a 9 day difference between AX and Comic Con next year in 2012. (It's 8 days, if you count the "Preview Night" for Comic Con.)

El_Duque
07-26-2011, 02:37 AM
I just want to make sure this is just hearsay but I got this from a buddy of mine who went to AM2 and he told me over Comic Con weekend that AM2 has plans to return next year on the weekend before AX. He said he got the word from some Staffer who said he is "somewhat close" to Chase Wang.

Freight
07-26-2011, 02:04 PM
Also as a quick note on the 2012 dates...

AX 2012: June 29–July 2, 2012

San Diego Comic Con 2012: July 12-15, 2012 (Preview Night: July 11, 2012)

In short, there is only a 9 day difference between AX and Comic Con next year in 2012. (It's 8 days, if you count the "Preview Night" for Comic Con.)

Really? That would be a very busy 3 weeks for me.

Hakaider
07-26-2011, 04:19 PM
I just want to make sure this is just hearsay but I got this from a buddy of mine who went to AM2 and he told me over Comic Con weekend that AM2 has plans to return next year on the weekend before AX. He said he got the word from some Staffer who said he is "somewhat close" to Chase Wang.

At this point in time, it may be just hearsay. It's best to wait for AM2 to make the official announcement.

Really? That would be a very busy 3 weeks for me.

Not to mention, a very expensive month.:)

ElCapitan
07-27-2011, 11:36 AM
At this point in time, it may be just hearsay. It's best to wait for AM2 to make the official announcement.
That's pretty much the definition of hearsay. The term doesn't directly deal with whether a statement is true or false, but rather if the person speaking witnessed the event being described personally. Just about anything that isn't a firsthand account is going to be hearsay (but that doesn't necessarily mean it's untrue).

That aside, Hakaider is right. It's best to avoid speculation and just wait until the formal announcement is made. To the best of my knowledge, we're planning on doing so in the relatively near future.

Freight
07-27-2011, 01:55 PM
Not to mention, a very expensive month.:)

Touche', sir. Touche'

animejunkie
07-27-2011, 11:47 PM
I look forward to seeing the announcement made on next year's date...looking forward to hopefully checking it out for at least one day next year!

LelouchYamazaki
07-29-2011, 11:41 PM
So I ran into Chase Wang during Comic-con, got a chance to talk with him after the Yoshiki comic book panel and talked to him about AM2, he was pretty happy with the turnout, while of course they are in the red it is not a huge number as ppl were trying to say it was.

Wouldnt even give a hint on dates but my guess is the AM2 team is still working on it, comic con was a crazy weekend.

HerMonsterr
08-04-2011, 02:04 AM
i think it'll grow more
i loved it though how small it was
it was too small but then again its only the first year and i sorta love how it was the same weekend as AX, sure i didnt get to see my AX frind, but i got to meet new ones
plus i bt it'll ge too crowded to the point where it moves since its a free con :/ i hope it never does.......
but yeah it felt more comforting for how small it was for me