PDA

View Full Version : Short Cosplay Documentary and Anime ideas

madaspy
07-06-2011, 06:03 PM
So, I have not posted on here in the past few years but i wanted to share with you a short video i did on my friend Cynthia. I basically wanted to put something together that lightly showcased a talented cosplay artist while giving those who are unfamiliar with cosplay, a little taste of what we do.

Please critique, i really want to hear what you guys think.

Link here http://www.vimeo.com/26043394

Also, Since I am in the DC area, and am going to Otakon, Just took off a few day for work to go, I'd like to put something else together. As of now i am trying to figure out a story or a focus. I'd kinda like to make something dealing with the construction and presentation of an outfit. Or even something dealing with two friends hyping-up each other with stories about convention going.

If you guys have any ideas or would like to be featured and you're in the area let me know.:)

cookiepianos
07-06-2011, 06:58 PM
I think the video is great - It looks like a proper documentary! And the girl in it is right, I moan about how I can't get good props because it's expensive - I should try making some myself!

Sorry I don't have anything constructive to say, just that I thought it was a good introduction to people who don't know what cosplay is, as well as telling people who already cosplay that it is possible to make good outfits and props within a budget of both money and time :)

DandyPianist
07-06-2011, 07:09 PM
I have to admit this is a very well done video, i enjoyed watching it and i think its true i mean it really goes to show you don't have to have money to make a great cosplay heck makes me think of all the random things i could use to make my cosplay out of. Lol

DingDing
07-06-2011, 07:46 PM
Like everyone else has said, its really good! You have the visual to admire and her talking over it so there is never any boring part! I'll definitely be watching it again :)

madaspy
07-06-2011, 08:35 PM
Thanks guys! I really appreciate it!

madaspy
07-07-2011, 03:57 PM
You guys are the cosplayers, So Im really trying to see if i did you guys, the cosplayers, justice. Show your friends see what they think :)

Kama
07-08-2011, 12:42 AM
I really enjoyed the video and would love to hire you as a photographer/videographer. You make everyone in this look so amazing. No unflattering angles or awkward face shots or anything. Yes I am purely superficial with that part of the review.

This all depends on your intended audience. As a cosplayer, I'd love to see something a bit more in depth. This is a nice example of an overview of cosplay to someone casually familiar with it.

My only suggestions for something for Otakon would be something involving the cosplay competition/Masquerade. You could find a few cosplayers who are planning to enter and follow them through their morning routine to the final show, maybe. Or you could compare/contrast a cosplayer who competes in the masquerade versus someone who doesn't...I can't speak for everyone but there's a vast difference in what I make to compete in (perfect, pressed, french seams) and what I make to wear and be fancy (screw that, glue is faster). These are just what strike me as something I'd watch, and I'm just one person.

If you need any cosplayer help at Otakon, let me know, probably via PM since I'm bad at checking boards. I can hopefully at least point you in the right direction for what you eventually decide to do if you're at a loss! Good luck with the project, it sounds fun.

madaspy
07-08-2011, 07:22 AM
I really enjoyed the video and would love to hire you as a photographer/videographer. You make everyone in this look so amazing. No unflattering angles or awkward face shots or anything. Yes I am purely superficial with that part of the review.

This all depends on your intended audience. As a cosplayer, I'd love to see something a bit more in depth. This is a nice example of an overview of cosplay to someone casually familiar with it.

My only suggestions for something for Otakon would be something involving the cosplay competition/Masquerade. You could find a few cosplayers who are planning to enter and follow them through their morning routine to the final show, maybe. Or you could compare/contrast a cosplayer who competes in the masquerade versus someone who doesn't...I can't speak for everyone but there's a vast difference in what I make to compete in (perfect, pressed, french seams) and what I make to wear and be fancy (screw that, glue is faster). These are just what strike me as something I'd watch, and I'm just one person.

If you need any cosplayer help at Otakon, let me know, probably via PM since I'm bad at checking boards. I can hopefully at least point you in the right direction for what you eventually decide to do if you're at a loss! Good luck with the project, it sounds fun.

Thanks for the words, I'm glad you thought it was a good overview, I really wanted to get a sense show a good sense of the fun one has as a cosplayer.

Thanks for the suggestion about doing something in depth, something strictly for the fans. It be kinda cool to focus on 2 people really taking time to craft the little things about their cosplay. Possibly one about the sewing and the other about the props something like that.

What else do you guys think?

Alope
07-08-2011, 11:18 AM
It is a good video, something I could show to my family or friends when I had to explain general cosplay in two minutes. I have to say your style looks really pleasant! When I viewed it the first time, it was without sound, and everything seemed to fit together!
I do have one point of critique, though, and that would be your opening shot. It throws your viewer in an unfamiliar situation where the viewer is, in their view, 'weirdly approached' from a very close distance, poking the viewer in the face. This gives the viewer an uncanny, awkward feeling that they want to move their face away from the screen to avoid this 'contact'. As an introduction, it might be better to gradually pull your viewer in instead of confronting him directly which pushes the viewer away from the subject you're trying to address. Also, I felt as if the transition of that shot to the second scene didn't fit in with the narrative, switching completely different environments and persons (or what the viewer would see as two different persons) in the middle of the scentence, making it hard for the viewer to determine who is speaking, creating a slight confusion.
The second scene has a very clear and disarming feel to it, which I love, and it continues throughout the vid. Overall I think you really have done a very good job - I wish I had skills like yours! x__x

For me as a cosplayer this video shows just one core point of what makes cosplay worthwile for me and I would look forward to a more in-depth video about cosplay from you, for example but not limited to, following a cosplayer in their work like you suggested. C:

rawien8706
07-08-2011, 11:28 AM
From what I could see (like a minute of it, as my computer speed is screwing with the actual motion of the video) it's cool. I had the same idea myself of doing something like this, though I'd make it extra cheesy and get interviews and stuff. This works though. =)

madaspy
07-08-2011, 11:43 AM
I do have one point of critique, though, and that would be your opening shot. It throws your viewer in an unfamiliar situation where the viewer is, in their view, 'weirdly approached' from a very close distance, poking the viewer in the face. This gives the viewer an uncanny, awkward feeling that they want to move their face away from the screen to avoid this 'contact'. As an introduction, it might be better to gradually pull your viewer in instead of confronting him directly which pushes the viewer away from the subject you're trying to address. Also, I felt as if the transition of that shot to the second scene didn't fit in with the narrative, switching completely different environments and persons (or what the viewer would see as two different persons) in the middle of the scentence, making it hard for the viewer to determine who is speaking, creating a slight confusion.
The second scene has a very clear and disarming feel to it, which I love, and it continues throughout the vid. Overall I think you really have done a very good job - I wish I had skills like yours! x__x

Thanks for the input, I can see where you're coming from with opening being a bit jarring. I think if i used a fun or even funny sound bite with some visuals to match then cut to the close up of her wither her saying her name, that might have been more effective and a tad bit less confusing.

Once again Thanks for the comments.

From what I could see (like a minute of it, as my computer speed is screwing with the actual motion of the video) it's cool. I had the same idea myself of doing something like this, though I'd make it extra cheesy and get interviews and stuff. This works though. =)

Hey, some time vimeo acts strangely, I did upload a youtube version of it too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLuafBtZ_KA

DarkCloudInc
07-08-2011, 01:48 PM
It almost seems like prop-making and sewing are two different worlds really. But really, they're two halves of a whole that compose the world of cosplay with many people focusing on one or the other. So, it would actually be very much worth while to make a short documentary for each.

As for the video, it seems pretty solid. I would recommend that the opening scene be something similar to morning preparations of your friend getting ready for the convention utilizing the sound from the camera as she goes through her preparation.

mokulen22
07-08-2011, 02:18 PM
I enjoyed it!

madaspy
07-08-2011, 02:44 PM
It almost seems like prop-making and sewing are two different worlds really. But really, they're two halves of a whole that compose the world of cosplay with many people focusing on one or the other. So, it would actually be very much worth while to make a short documentary for each.

As for the video, it seems pretty solid. I would recommend that the opening scene be something similar to morning preparations of your friend getting ready for the convention utilizing the sound from the camera as she goes through her preparation.

sound design sounds like fun oooo awful pun. NA, but thats a good idea. BTW you guys are more responsive than on the video forums!

Rose of Battle
07-08-2011, 04:50 PM
This looks great! I also think shadowing one or two people for a day is a great idea. It's like one of those Day in the Life segments.

Also, I noticed a mispelling in the credits. On the Otakon slide, Baltimore was missing a "t"

Otherwise, all of the technical aspects like some music in the background, framing of shots, yadayada look fantastic. Maybe starting out with an establishing shot of lots of people in costumes walking around would make for a good starting point (with convention murmurs in the background) and then you can move straight into the shot you start out with.

madaspy
07-08-2011, 09:58 PM
This looks great! I also think shadowing one or two people for a day is a great idea. It's like one of those Day in the Life segments.

Also, I noticed a mispelling in the credits. On the Otakon slide, Baltimore was missing a "t"

Otherwise, all of the technical aspects like some music in the background, framing of shots, yadayada look fantastic. Maybe starting out with an establishing shot of lots of people in costumes walking around would make for a good starting point (with convention murmurs in the background) and then you can move straight into the shot you start out with.

Stupid spelling :angry:

I think if I were to do the whole shadowing thing, I may start it off with some abstract shots of fabric, sewing mating, maybe some mouse clicking stuff like that in order to keep the audience wondering what they are seeing. But establishing shots are always good to show context.

Thanks guys.