PDA

View Full Version : Game of Thrones - HBO series

Pages : [1] 2 3

GlassCannon
07-11-2011, 02:15 PM
I was shocked to find that this thread didn't exist already! A search of the forums turned up lots of people working on Game of Thrones costumes, but not a single central thread like so many other shows and movies have. So I thought it was about time someone started one! There are so many cool costumes from the show, and often cases quite different from what was described in the books, that I'm sure there's a lot of interest in GoT cosplay.

Can't wait to see what everyone is working on! I'll put my questions in a follow-up post.

GlassCannon
07-11-2011, 02:21 PM
I'm considering adding a Daenerys costume to my Dragon*Con line up for this year, specifically her first Dothraki outfit, that she wears through the middle part of this past season:

http://images.wikia.com/gameofthrones/images/e/e3/Daenerys_Targaryen.jpg

At the moment I'm just planning and sourcing materials, and I can't for the life of me figure out what sort of fabric to use for her top. After looking a lot of screenshots, it's quite definitely woven out of a fairly rough/nubly material. Any thoughts on what it could be?

GraelynRose
07-11-2011, 02:31 PM
I want to make a Daeny and/or an Arya among other characters met later on in the series.

DaniiChan
07-11-2011, 11:51 PM
I too am making that outfit (as you already know) :) I expect I will see a lot of people in it as it's so badass lol Yet so difficult....

Anyone have any leads on where to find the belts/something similar? Been searching the internet with no luck...

I think I'm also going to make a Meera cosplay for Dragon*Con cause it can be simple and I can totally make it up.... It will be so obscure that nobody will know who I am XD

For those who don't know, Meera is a character in the books that will probably appear second (I think?) season.

Thia Fayne
07-12-2011, 02:21 AM
Oh yay, I'm so glad someone started this thread!

I did a book!version of Daenerys back in 2009, and I'm working on an Arya cosplay from the TV series right now, to be worn at San Diego Comic-Con in just over a week! I can't wait to see other people's costumes, ASOIAF/GOT definitely deserves more cosplay *u*

Elendriel
07-12-2011, 08:40 AM
For her top you could probably use burlap (like what the Scarecrow costumers use from Batman), or canvas, and that would let it shred the way it's supposed to on the bottom and you can dye it the darker color if you can't find it in that color. Just a thought :)

I've already done Joffrey Baratheon's first costume and working on his second. I hate the character but I love the clothes haha. Love/hate relationship ftw lol

Skxawng
07-12-2011, 10:40 AM
I'm doing Khal Drogo (http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=245862) hopefully in time for Otakon, but if not, for halloween.

I too am making that outfit (as you already know) :) I expect I will see a lot of people in it as it's so badass lol Yet so difficult....
The top in particular is the most difficult bit, for sure. The mechanics behind the garment seem pretty straightforward, but the weaving itself is critical. I don't think that burlap would be appropriate on its own. If perhaps one got very very loose burlap and then wove very thin leather lace throughout it, the result might be very pleasing indeed!

Anyone have any leads on where to find the belts/something similar? Been searching the internet with no luck...
On first glance it would appear to be leather, but the high res shot (http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/storage/daenerys-field.jpg) makes it a lot clearer. The pecan shapes are stamped metal, but if I were you I'd simply make them out of Apoxie Sculpt, carving into it with a dental pick or xacto blade once it's cured. Beneath those I'm willing to bet that the flat belt is more or less just a wide/thick elastic belt, one you might find at a craft store.

The belt below that, however, will be more difficult, unless you've got access to a laser cutter, which will make your life super duper simple. It reminds me though, of some of my grandma's old theatrical jewelry ... might be somewhere you may consider looking.

Also, unrelated: Why does a moderator need to approve every comment here?? Are the Spambots that virulent?? Or is it simply that I need to reach a certain number of posts?

vgc
07-12-2011, 03:52 PM
I'm also working on that exact costume! Well, I'm commissioning someone to make it for me. I suggested burlap, but she said that monk's cloth might work too. No idea what monk's cloth is, but she's the expert. Just bought my purple colored contact lenses today (thought I should stay somewhat faithful to the book).

I was surprised as well that there aren't more Game of Thrones cosplayers out there. I couldn't even find that many pictures of her in that outfit. I had to scour every episode. Best of luck on your costume! Mine should be done in time for PAX.

GlassCannon
07-12-2011, 04:49 PM

I've been looking around on ebay for belts and found quite a few that are close matches. I just searched for "metal belt" under Women's Accessories, and I think some styles of concho or medallion belts could work well too.

DaniiChan
07-13-2011, 11:53 PM
I'm doing Khal Drogo (http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=245862) hopefully in time for Otakon, but if not, for halloween.

I was looking at your other post the other day and admire how detail-oriented you are!!! Can't wait to see the finished product it all looks so amazing!!!

On first glance it would appear to be leather, but the high res shot (http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/storage/daenerys-field.jpg) makes it a lot clearer. The pecan shapes are stamped metal, but if I were you I'd simply make them out of Apoxie Sculpt, carving into it with a dental pick or xacto blade once it's cured. Beneath those I'm willing to bet that the flat belt is more or less just a wide/thick elastic belt, one you might find at a craft store.

The belt below that, however, will be more difficult, unless you've got access to a laser cutter, which will make your life super duper simple. It reminds me though, of some of my grandma's old theatrical jewelry ... might be somewhere you may consider looking.

Yea, I've been looking in a LOT of antique shops.... But I was thinking of making it from sculpting clay or something, so it's nice to get some specific suggestions, thank you!! I think I may try that if I don't find anything similar.

Are you going to Dragon*Con? Or just Otakon?

Skxawng
07-14-2011, 05:11 PM
I was looking at your other post the other day and admire how detail-oriented you are!!! Can't wait to see the finished product it all looks so amazing!!!

Yea, I've been looking in a LOT of antique shops.... But I was thinking of making it from sculpting clay or something, so it's nice to get some specific suggestions, thank you!! I think I may try that if I don't find anything similar.

Are you going to Dragon*Con? Or just Otakon?

My pleasure. As far as I know I'm really just looking towards Otakon because I live in Baltimore ... Atlanta is a bit far away and I've got to conserve my days off for a trip to europe later this year. I'm not even that sure that I'll have the whole thing ready by Otakon :/ or at least not to a level that I would be confident wearing. I've got a lot of stuff to do, and an annoyingly busy life :P

GlassCannon
07-14-2011, 05:29 PM
As far as I know I'm really just looking towards Otakon because I live in Baltimore ... Atlanta is a bit far away and I've got to conserve my days off for a trip to europe later this year. I'm not even that sure that I'll have the whole thing ready by Otakon :/ or at least not to a level that I would be confident wearing. I've got a lot of stuff to do, and an annoyingly busy life :P

Aww, sorry to hear that. DragonCon is a ton of fun, with some of the best costumes of any US convention, not to mention the sheer number of costumes, from every imaginable fandom, everywhere you look. I know your Drogo would go over well there. ;D But the hotel situation has gotten so crazy the last few years, it's actually best to plan a full year in advance. I booked my hotel room for this coming DragonCon (Sept 1-5) last October, and bought my con badge around the same time, when they're cheapest. So maybe look into going to DragonCon 2012? Hehe.

Btw, I think the mod approval will go away once you've racked up enough posts.

crazycallisto
07-14-2011, 06:46 PM
I'll be dressed as Cersei Lannister at SDCC on Thursday ( from the books, not a replication of one of the costumes from the HBO show) message me if you'll be there too, maybe we can meet up for pix!
-----------------------
SDCC 2011:

Quorra- Tron Legacy
Cersei lannister- Game of Thrones novels
Padme Amidala- Star Wars- white battle arena outfit
Priestess- Priest movie (2011)

DaniiChan
07-14-2011, 10:33 PM
Skxawng- I hear ya, me too. Barely enough time to work on the costume :/ But D*C is THE con I go to each year, it's soo expensive but so worth it. I travel from NY to get there. At least we'll get to see pics though!

And yea, the hotel situation is insane... I called the minute they opened up hotels for the con, and the main hotel was sold out within 10 min (and it's got like 60 floors..)

Anyone who's done with costumes, I'd LOVE to see pics!! There aren't enough cosplays on the internet, I've seen all I could find! lol. I'm sure there will be tooooooooonnsss soon though..

Skxawng
07-14-2011, 11:34 PM
Aww, sorry to hear that. DragonCon is a ton of fun, with some of the best costumes of any US convention, not to mention the sheer number of costumes, from every imaginable fandom, everywhere you look. I know your Drogo would go over well there. ;D But the hotel situation has gotten so crazy the last few years, it's actually best to plan a full year in advance. I booked my hotel room for this coming DragonCon (Sept 1-5) last October, and bought my con badge around the same time, when they're cheapest. So maybe look into going to DragonCon 2012? Hehe.

Btw, I think the mod approval will go away once you've racked up enough posts.

Sounds like MAG fest, which I'll be going to ... but not in costume. The elevators there never worked because there were too many people. This year though they got a larger place to have it at, so it should be even better.

This will be my first con in costume, if I can complete it in time. I've therefore hesitated on working on the arakh, and will be focusing on finishing the belt, pants, girdle, and knives. I also gotta figure out where to buy hair extensions.

Interestingly, I got enough posts with that post :)

dagmarus
07-15-2011, 09:39 PM
I'm planning on making an Eddard Stark costume for next year.

tierza89
07-16-2011, 09:38 PM
I'm working on a Dany costume. I just finished dyeing my fabric and my wig came today. it's officially happening :)

loveshacktardis
07-18-2011, 03:28 PM
I have a friend that wants to do Dany's purple/gray dress from the first episode, but finding a fabric with the correct weight/drape is seriously stumping us. Also, the color! It seems to look purple in the episode and gray in the stills! Anyone have any ideas? Right now we're kind of learning towards a light weight silk or even a crinkle taffeta, but finding the color is hard.

GlassCannon
07-18-2011, 04:16 PM
I've heard that they used filters on the show pretty extensively, so it's not really surprising that her dress looks two different colors. The costume itself is gray (http://media.fanoutreach.com.s3.amazonaws.com/gameofthronesoutreach/images/53c24362a0fb84555d84ea4a440824f4.jpg) (as seen at various costume (http://www.mikethefanboy.com/hbos-game-of-thrones-prop-and-costume-display-in-new-york-city/) displays (http://www.comicbooktherapy.com/game-of-thrones-reveals-costumes-and-props-for-tv-show/)), but for whatever reason they decided to make it look purple on the show. In that sort of situation, I think either color is "correct". It's just a question of which color you think will be more recognizable to people viewing your cosplay, which color looks best on you, and what colors you're able to find in a suitable fabric.

As far as fabric goes, if you find the right weight, drape, and crinkle effect, you can always dye the fabric to the color you want. Polyester doesn't dye nearly as well natural fibers, but with dyes made for polyester it is possible. And if you use silk, cotton, linen, wool, rayon, etc, the fabric will take dye very well. You could even do a custom dye mix for a gray-ish lavender. So find the right fabric first, preferably in white, and then dye it the color you want. Silk or cotton gauze could work well, as could crushed satin. I haven't done much looking around, but my favorite specialty fabric site, DistinctiveFabric (http://www.distinctivefabric.com/fabric.php?product=CRUSHEDSATIN1&expand=1), does carry crushed satin, though it is 100% polyester, which would make dyeing it a bit trickier.

makotohanabi
07-18-2011, 05:02 PM
The filters and lights on set can do strange things to what color appears on screen. If you want a certain color on screen, you have to take into consideration the cameras and lighting when choosing fabric. You see the same thing when the LoTR costumes went on exhibit, especially Legolas's costumes. Have a relative who works in tv and movies, and that's how a costume designer described it to her.

Currently working on a Lyanna Stark costume. Taking a break from sewing right now, and halfway done with the rose crown. Will have it done in time for Renovation (Worldcon). Is there a chance of anyone else coming to Worldcon?

Now that I finished A Dance with Dragons, I'm thinking of Obara Sand as a future cosplay.
Specifically from the scene where Balon Swan gives Prince Doran a skull that the Iron Throne claims is Ser Gregor's.

DaniiChan
07-19-2011, 08:28 PM
My god you're a fast reader! It took a lot of will-power not to read that spoiler lol

GlassCannon
07-22-2011, 04:36 PM
I've ordered all the major fabric and supplies for my Daenerys costume, so it's officially a go for Dragon*Con! So excited about this one, it's keeping me up at night, lol. ;D

vgc
07-22-2011, 08:00 PM
Need advice. I'm putting together a Daenrys costume and decided that I'm going to do the purple eyes (like the book describes her). I ordered two different contact lenses. One is very brightly purple and the other looks quite natural (if purple is a normal eye color). Which one should I go with? I feel the bright purple one will make me look cartoonish, but the light purple one isn't really easy to notice unless someone is actually looking into my eyes.

Skxawng
07-23-2011, 11:39 AM
I'd say go with the 'natural' purple one ... no one has purple eyes, so I feel like even if its subtle, it'll still be glaringly obvious

Bubs
07-26-2011, 05:03 PM
I'd love some wig suggestions for Dany (the platinum blonde wig from the series)

I'm wearing her Qartheen gown from ACoK, and possibly her Dothraki garb from the series.

Need advice. I'm putting together a Daenrys costume and decided that I'm going to do the purple eyes (like the book describes her). I ordered two different contact lenses. One is very brightly purple and the other looks quite natural (if purple is a normal eye color). Which one should I go with? I feel the bright purple one will make me look cartoonish, but the light purple one isn't really easy to notice unless someone is actually looking into my eyes.

Mind sharing what contacts you purchased? Last year I wore Venus Violet (http://color-my-eyes.com/p-18-venus-violet.aspx) contacts.

Personally, I would go with the brighter ones if you want them to show up in photos ^^

selenya
07-29-2011, 09:51 PM
Sadly, I'll be putting together my Cersei costume on the run, which means buying a dress instead of making one. She's a replacement costume, though, since I don't have the time to pour into other ones, but I'm still ridiculously excited about it. :D I may have not caught it, but is there going to be a photoshoot/meet up at any point? Parade marching? :D

A Grue
07-30-2011, 09:42 PM
Sadly, I'll be putting together my Cersei costume on the run, which means buying a dress instead of making one. She's a replacement costume, though, since I don't have the time to pour into other ones, but I'm still ridiculously excited about it. :D I may have not caught it, but is there going to be a photoshoot/meet up at any point? Parade marching? :D

If you're talking about D*con, so far we've got 2 people officially signed up on their parade registration, and another handful just that I know of that are planning to do so~ I just started to get the word out this weekend. Hope you'll be there to walk with me Saturday morning!

makotohanabi
08-06-2011, 06:12 PM
Putting the finishing touches on Lyanna's rose crown, and I'll be done.

If anyone's going to Worldcon, I'll be wearing it at the Brotherhood without Banners party on Saturday night. I'll be doing door duty for a bit.

GlassCannon
08-10-2011, 01:19 AM
If any of you guys are bringing your costumes to DragonCon, we're trying to decide on a day and time to meetup up. Come tell us when would work best for you (http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=251726).

Chocobo Jockey
08-21-2011, 04:03 PM
I actually made a Margaery Tyrell costume awhile back! (We had a costume party on the night the series premiered...with a feast. We even made lemon cakes! =D hehe) But since none of the pictures of it came out super good, I haven't put anything up yet...But I'm hoping to do an actual photoshoot within the next couple of weeks! ^_^

DaniiChan
08-22-2011, 01:40 AM
Okay, so I wasn't gonna post in here cause I'm really self-conscious.... but I finished my Dany top today. But now that it's finished I keep over-analyzing it and am very frustrated that it's not looking right. So I need your help.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2h3oufp.jpg
(apologies for the crappy cell-phone quality pic)

(I fixed it so the left doesn't have so many 'ripples' after the pic) Obviously I don't have the brooches yet...

Anyway, my question to you all is this: I took a creative liberty adding in all those light threads vertically into it to give it the same effect that hers has, but I don't feel I got it... So what should I do? Leave it? Take them out completely? (then I'd have a bunch of holes in it..) or replace them with a darker (yet still lighter) threadthing? Or perhaps any other suggestions?

Any constructive criticism would be appreciated, thank you :)

Also, though I know you all know it, a quick reference just so you don't have to go looking it up:

http://i52.tinypic.com/2v7tshu.png

GlassCannon
08-23-2011, 11:04 AM
Actually I think you've done a really great job. The top edge in particular is spot-on. As far as the woven-in pieces, I think the vertical ones look good. From the picture it's hard to tell how they look in different types of light (natural, flash, indoor, etc). I did a similar thing with my Dothraki top, and originally used off-white cotton cord, and it looked way too bright to me. I took it out and used strong black tea to tea dye the cord to a more weathered off-white/light brown. In my case I think that really helped.

So I think your vertical pieces look good, but tea dyeing them might help tone down the brightness, if that's bothering you. That said, the horizontal pieces jump out at me a lot more than the vertical stripes do, particularly the two lowest ones. The vertical threads look like part of the fabric, but the horizontal ones seem to be more just on top of the fabric. But honestly, I think both are little details that only those of us who have been staring at that outfit for this long will even notice, heheh. ;)

NeikoRae
08-23-2011, 11:50 AM
hi everyone! im so glad to find a thread for this show/book. just started the series myself and was planning to cosplay Arya for NYCC, if i can get it done in time. not sure which of her costumes but I'm leaning towards her training outfit (picture with caption syrio forel trains aria)http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Arya_Stark I havnt actually watched the show yet >_< Will anyone else be attending NYCC?

DaniiChan
08-23-2011, 04:19 PM
GlassCannon- thank you for your help, I may try and tea dye it, though I've never done that before.

NeiikoRae- You'll make such a good Arya!! I can picture it already :) I shall see you at NYCC!

NeikoRae
08-23-2011, 10:09 PM
NeiikoRae- You'll make such a good Arya!! I can picture it already :) I shall see you at NYCC!

@DaniiChan- lol, Hi! See you at NYCC! Good luck with your Danny costume, its looking great so far. can't wait to see it finished!

EgnirysFaye
08-24-2011, 09:50 PM
Ah so glad that there is a thread - haven't seen the show yet, but been an avid reader of the books all summer (Up to Dance with Dragons now)

Haven't decided what character I fancy doing exactly, but definitely am planning on a cosplay from the series in the upcoming future.

KGaleway
08-27-2011, 10:52 PM
I'm making an Arya costume! It's probably going to debut at Wondercon if I can get the time/funds, or SDCC if I can't.

And here's a crappy pic of me for reference.

iycis
08-28-2011, 04:56 PM
I don't make it over here much but I saw this thread and thought some of you might find my collection of photos of the screen used costumes useful. I saw them this past spring in NYC when they were displayed at the HBO store.

My husband is looking to have me make a Jon Snow costume for him next year for Dragon Con but I have yet to find a character that I want to costume as myself.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/evilbenius/sets/72157627280938534/

vgc
08-30-2011, 06:11 PM
After a really busy and stress filled week, PAX came and went. I didn't even have a chance to try on the full Dany costume until the morning of, but I think it turned out mostly okay. The only thing that I was unhappy about was the wig. I've never worn a wig before and when I put it on that morning, I was seriously thinking about not wearing a wig at all. Any suggestions from all the experienced wig-wearers out there or should I go wigless the next time I wear this costume (I have black hair). Thanks ahead for your input!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deniath/6092317574/in/set-72157627419647733

NeikoRae
09-05-2011, 12:13 PM
After a really busy and stress filled week, PAX came and went. I didn't even have a chance to try on the full Dany costume until the morning of, but I think it turned out mostly okay. The only thing that I was unhappy about was the wig. I've never worn a wig before and when I put it on that morning, I was seriously thinking about not wearing a wig at all. Any suggestions from all the experienced wig-wearers out there or should I go wigless the next time I wear this costume (I have black hair). Thanks ahead for your input!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deniath/6092317574/in/set-72157627419647733

@VGC- the costume looks great and the wig doesn't look bad either, though did you wear a wig cap underneath it? if not you could try one of those or maybe use some hair gel or hair glue to keep any loose strands from falling out under the netting, or alot of pins and clips though those might be uncomfortible after a while

Now... I think I need some advice... I've been looking at many pictures of the costumes I'm trying to do but the more I see the more I feel I have the wrong colored matterial (at this point Im not going for type of material since I have a limited selection) the hardest to figure are Arya's pants in the sword training scenes at times they look blue and then in others grey. I thought I had a good material/ color but now I'm not too sure
its a denim material and originally I was going to use the darker side but now im thinking the lighter side... if even

any thoughts?

makotohanabi
09-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Now... I think I need some advice... I've been looking at many pictures of the costumes I'm trying to do but the more I see the more I feel I have the wrong colored matterial (at this point Im not going for type of material since I have a limited selection) the hardest to figure are Arya's pants in the sword training scenes at times they look blue and then in others grey. I thought I had a good material/ color but now I'm not too sure
its a denim material and originally I was going to use the darker side but now im thinking the lighter side... if even any thoughts?

Can't remember but is it possible Arya's pants seem darker when she's indoor?
I'd say go with which color you like better, just be consistent. I think that using wool or linen would be better.

Found my usb cord and got a photo of my Lyanna costume while on the Iron Throne.
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3045108/

NeikoRae
09-05-2011, 04:56 PM
Can't remember but is it possible Arya's pants seem darker when she's indoor?
I'd say go with which color you like better, just be consistent. I think that using wool or linen would be better.

Found my usb cord and got a photo of my Lyanna costume while on the Iron Throne.
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3045108/

I wanted to use cotton or wool but I can't find anything that come close to the colors I'm looking for (and I'm too afraid to try dying white fabrics to match). I think I'll have to settle with that denim material, it makes me kind of sad but it can't be helped >_<

your lyanna costume is great! how'd it feel to sit on the throne?

makotohanabi
09-05-2011, 09:08 PM
NeikoRae, my first thought was "Aegon the Conqueror must've had a big @ss. I felt like a little kid.

Had lots of fun sitting on the Iron Throne in other costumes, and taking photos of plushies (including one knighted by George) on the throne as well.

http://fabrics-store.com/ has a huge variety of linen and often has sales.

NeikoRae
09-05-2011, 10:57 PM
@Makotohanabi- LOL!!! and thanks for the link!

Thia Fayne
09-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Hey! It's been a while since I debuted my Arya costume at SDCC but I figured I'd pop in and share some references and stuff because it looks like more people are cosplaying Arya, which is awesome!

To me her pants look like a faded grayish-green color, based off of this (http://i.imgur.com/uO3f3.jpg) image as well as this (http://i.imgur.com/2HnmR.jpg) one (you can see just a little bit of them underneath her paneled training skirt thing at the bottom).

My Arya pants were made of linen which I dyed, here's (http://i.imgur.com/kzbJu.jpg) a picture of my finished costume! It was a bit of a rush job and they turned out a little lighter/greener than I'd have liked, but I plan on fixing that before I wear the costume again ^^

I also wanted to take a second just to shamelessly share a photo (http://i.imgur.com/0wwnM.jpg) of my friend's Sansa cosplay, because she never posts on here, but she's awesome :)

Sooo excited to see everyone's GoT/ASoIaF costumes! Keep up the good work, everyone! It makes me so happy to see this series getting cosplayed!! :3

NeikoRae
09-16-2011, 03:03 PM
@Thia Fayne- The colors are so confusing for Arya's costume >_<
Alot of people seem to be leaning toward the green/ grey pants. Thanks for sharing the pics. Your costume looks great and your friend, tell her the same! Would love to see more if you don't mind sharing :)

GlassCannon
09-16-2011, 03:11 PM
Hey! It's been a while since I debuted my Arya costume at SDCC but I figured I'd pop in and share some references and stuff because it looks like more people are cosplaying Arya, which is awesome!

To me her pants look like a faded grayish-green color, based off of this (http://i.imgur.com/uO3f3.jpg) image as well as this (http://i.imgur.com/2HnmR.jpg) one (you can see just a little bit of them underneath her paneled training skirt thing at the bottom).

My Arya pants were made of linen which I dyed, here's (http://i.imgur.com/kzbJu.jpg) a picture of my finished costume! It was a bit of a rush job and they turned out a little lighter/greener than I'd have liked, but I plan on fixing that before I wear the costume again ^^

I also wanted to take a second just to shamelessly share a photo (http://i.imgur.com/0wwnM.jpg) of my friend's Sansa cosplay, because she never posts on here, but she's awesome :)

Sooo excited to see everyone's GoT/ASoIaF costumes! Keep up the good work, everyone! It makes me so happy to see this series getting cosplayed!! :3

Great costumes!! :D You guys both look fantastic. This is why I love cosplay from live action shows, costumes like yours that look like you walked right off the set.

I agree with you that in the show her pants are just a touch darker and maybe more gray, but not by a ton. One more pass with dye should do it. Man, I love costumes that are so screen-accurate, you can start debating the exact shade of gray-green-brown. So awesome. ;D

GlassCannon
09-22-2011, 05:03 PM
I finally posted info an pics about my Daenerys costume from DragonCon 2011 to my profile, here: http://www.cosplay.com/costume/395475/ I'm more than happy to help out any other Dany costumers, so feel free to throw any questions my way if you want.

NeikoRae
10-03-2011, 06:49 PM
@ GlassConnon- Great inside look to your costume and that Game of thrones group looked awsome (a nice number of people seemed to show up) Thanks for sharing

now I have a general question for anyone, game of thrones character related- How do you choose what pose(s) you're going to do if asked for a picture? I was told to google the character and see what comes up more frequently but when I did that all I got were head shots or images of the character in a different costume. I'm still debating if I'm gonna wear the costume but if I do I want to be ready, just in case its recognised ^_^'''

GlassCannon
10-03-2011, 09:57 PM
Thanks! That group was a ton of fun, and I know at least a couple of them are going to NYCC too. You should check with them on the Facebook GoT costuming group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/143491629077875/), maybe see if there's a meetup planned for NYCC.

As far as posing, I personally find it much easier if I have a prop of some sort. With the heart, I had a built-in pose of eating the heart, lol. So if you have a sword to go with your Arya costume (Needle or practice sword or anything vaguely sword shaped), you can strike a fighting pose pretty easily. If you have a stuffed wolf, snuggling the side of your face (but still be able to see the camera) into its fur could work. Looking up photos of other Arya costumers can help you get ideas for poses that work, too.

The other thing I find helps me, at least mentally, is rewatching the source material while I'm getting into costume, and trying to think about walking and standing like that character. So when someone asks me for a picture, I'm that much closer to a realistic pose. Arya has a very distinctive feisty personality, and in the show even has a particular way that she walks. The more you feel like you are personifying her attitude, walk, stance, etc, the easier it'll be to pose. (For what it's worth, I don't think it matters if you actually walk or stand like her. If you feel like you walk and stand like her, posing like her will feel more natural, and that naturalness will show in your photos.)

Beyond that, practice in a mirror if you can, and read up on a few basics of cosplay posing -- shoulders back, head up, turn your body slightly towards the camera, etc. And if you can go to a GoT costume meetup, definitely do it! No one will appreciate your costume more or have more fun suggesting poses for you to strike than other GoT costumers. ;)

NeikoRae
10-03-2011, 11:32 PM
I'll have to keep an eye on that Facebook group (I don't have an account myself) I would love to see someone set up a photoshoot but If not I'll just have to find/ stalk everyone and get their picture. :) Thanks for letting me know about it.

as for poses, your right, I'll have to marathon the show this weekend to get a better idea for personality, and aside from the sword, I do like the idea with the wolf pup, I was going to carry one around with me anyway but now it will have another use than just sticking its head out of my bag ^_^'' I havn't really been able to find other Arya cosplayers (two/three so far) but as the show gets popular maybe I'll find more.

Thanks so much for the input!

makotohanabi
10-04-2011, 01:47 PM
For Lyanna, I went with the rose crown, in the Iron Throne photos I'm wearing it. Posed for a few where I'm holding it with a baffled expression on my face. Saturday night I did door duty as Lyanna for the BWB party, and I posed for photos next to the Stark banner we put next to the door.

Had some vague ideas for poses with Robert, Ned, Rhaegar, or Jon, but didn't see any other GoT/ASoIaF costumers at Worldcon.

GlassCannon, thanks for posting the link. Hope I can find some GoT costumers going to Chicon 7 (Worldcon) instead of Dragon con next year.

NeikoRae
10-09-2011, 05:16 PM
Finally took some pictures in my Arya costume (testing it out to see what last minute things I had to fix) and now I'm not feeling so confident wearing it.

The attached image is before I fixed a few things (like making a new notch in the belt so it wont slip down and trimming the laces around the neck area)
what do you guys think?

(i cut off my head cause I don't take flattering pics which is also part of the problem, my hair's too long and if I wear it a certain way, my (big) ears make me look... elvish.
-the pants are comfy though and I love the wolf plush >_<

DaniiChan
10-10-2011, 10:43 PM
It looks great!! Honestly, you shouldn't have anything to worry about, I know what you look like and know you'll pull of Arya really well. Wear it to NYCC!!! And wear it Sat. Cause I'm wearing Daenerys Sat and we can get pics! :D

NeikoRae
10-11-2011, 09:55 AM
Thanks ^_^ and I will definently wear it saturday :) lol is it wrong that wearing it makes me want to photobomb some Lannisters? See you Saturday!

GlassCannon
10-11-2011, 10:45 AM
Finally took some pictures in my Arya costume (testing it out to see what last minute things I had to fix) and now I'm not feeling so confident wearing it...

I clicked on your picture before I read your whole post, and my first thought was how good the costume looks, down to the loose wisp of brown hair. The only suggestions I would make are the things you've already done -- tightening the belt and cutting the laces a bit shorter. I think it looks really great, honestly, and people will totally recognize you, especially with the sword and the wolf pup.

As far as photobombing the Lannisters, I'd say turn-about is fair play: Jaime photobombs the khalessar (http://www.flickr.com/photos/futuregirl/6118495928/). ;D

So jealous of all of you going to NYCC! Have a great time! :D

NeikoRae
10-12-2011, 12:00 AM
Thanks, I really hope people recognise it. I'll try to take plenty of pics, for sure! ^_^

*snickers at the photo* Oh Jaime

GlassCannon
10-13-2011, 01:58 PM
For anyone just getting started on a Dothraki Daenerys costume, I just stumbled across some fabric that could work great for her top: http://www.bblackandsons.com/natural-matka-fabric-p-486.html

NeikoRae
10-18-2011, 04:51 PM
-_- I think I'm going to need to find another event to wear my Arya costume to. None of my pictures came out and only two people took my picture during the con, so I don't really have anything. Hope something comes up, (have to work late night shift on halloween so that's out of the question) otherwise I'll wear it after the first snow fall... cause after all... Winter IS coming ^_^
(there was a small number of GoT cosplayers at NYCC, only got to see about half of them but they were there! )

A Grue
10-19-2011, 12:56 PM
-_- I think I'm going to need to find another event to wear my Arya costume to. None of my pictures came out and only two people took my picture during the con, so I don't really have anything. Hope something comes up, (have to work late night shift on halloween so that's out of the question) otherwise I'll wear it after the first snow fall... cause after all... Winter IS coming ^_^
(there was a small number of GoT cosplayers at NYCC, only got to see about half of them but they were there! )

Was this you? c:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lt9ooqF12O1qbidbp.jpg

NeikoRae
10-19-2011, 04:48 PM
Was this you? c:

DUDE!! Yes! *hugs tightly* -^_^-

DaniiChan
10-19-2011, 06:09 PM
@Neiko-Rae- Here is the pic I got with you! =) (Attached)

@GlassCannon-Ooo interesting.. Wonder if it dyes well... I'm thinking of remaking my top, not very happy with it =(

Also, I have to share my favorite pic of the con....

http://i56.tinypic.com/24xnu3q.jpg

He is awesome.

NeikoRae
10-19-2011, 06:28 PM
@DaniiChan- OMG that's so awsome you guys got a pic with him! So lucky, so cool! & thanks for the pic ^_^ mine came out blurry, looks fine on the view screen but on the comp... not so much. It was great to see you again :) oh and I saw two more pics of you on someone elses site:
http://www.rdfn.org/gallery/new_york_comic_con/2011/saturday/?g2_page=8
Just in case you didn't see them yet.

GlassCannon
10-19-2011, 06:40 PM
@GlassCannon-Ooo interesting.. Wonder if it dyes well... I'm thinking of remaking my top, not very happy with it =(

It's 100% silk, so I would think it would take dye well. Not sure how that would affect its tweedy look though. It also comes in a bunch of other colors, including brown, khaki, taupe, tan, etc: http://www.bblackandsons.com/fabrics-textured-silk-matka-c-68_122.html?zenid=691a45c25b1bede4aac6608a0163cba3

You both look *so* awesome.

A Grue
10-19-2011, 10:01 PM
DUDE!! Yes! *hugs tightly* -^_^-

Good, excellent! That isn't my picture: I found it on tumblr earlier today and recognized the NYCC background, and thought it couldn't hurt to check with you. I'm so glad!! I'd hate for you not to have any photos of your costume. That's always such a drag. c:

NeikoRae
10-20-2011, 05:03 PM
Good, excellent! That isn't my picture: I found it on tumblr earlier today and recognized the NYCC background, and thought it couldn't hurt to check with you. I'm so glad!! I'd hate for you not to have any photos of your costume. That's always such a drag. c:

You found it on Tumblr? Neat! Didn't expect that at all ^_^''' Thanks so much again :sunny:

Skxawng
10-25-2011, 08:32 AM

Also, I have to share my favorite pic of the con....

http://i56.tinypic.com/24xnu3q.jpg

He is awesome.

OH JEALOUS ;___;

I totally wanted to get something like that. So pissed i had to miss that con :/ Your costume totally kicks ass btw!

Also, A Grue - Absolutely fantastic Arya! I think I saw a photo or two of you put up on Kotaku. When I get some spare time I'll post it here, unless that photo above is the same one :P

Badass!!

NeikoRae
10-28-2011, 09:26 PM
OH JEALOUS ;___;
Also, A Grue - Absolutely fantastic Arya! I think I saw a photo or two of you put up on Kotaku. When I get some spare time I'll post it here, unless that photo above is the same one :P

please do when you get the chance!

NeikoRae
10-28-2011, 11:31 PM
oh and to add since it wont let me add to my last post...

three other game of thrones cosplayers I met that day in case anyone was interested or knows these people/ would like to show them their pics:

DaniiChan
11-04-2011, 03:19 PM
oh and to add since it wont let me add to my last post...

three other game of thrones cosplayers I met that day in case anyone was interested or knows these people/ would like to show them their pics:

I know the Dany, so I'll send the pic over to her =)

ALSO, to any DAENERYS cosplayer: I posted this on the Dragon*Con thread, but I'm also gonna post it here..

I am not very good at sculpting I realized.... and I need the three-headed dragon brooch(s) that Daenerys wears.. does anyone know where I can find someone who is commissioning or selling them? I tried etsy, and have no luck... =(

astillar
12-02-2011, 09:58 PM
Hey fellow friends!
I'm considering doing a Hound cosplay for next year's D*C. I've only read the books, not seen the series (and I'd like to keep it that way), but I'll need reference pictures of his armor. Can y'all recommend any websites that might be helpful? I've stumbled onto longagocaptures.org on my own, but any further aid would be great.
Thanks!

DaniiChan
12-11-2011, 09:21 PM
That'd be awesome!!!!

Not screencaps, but the awesome Italian GoT cosplayers did a really helpful tutorial on how to make his armor, though it's mostly via pictures, might help with ideas...

http://asoiafcosplay.blogspot.com/search/label/Making%20Of?updated-max=2011-10-27T06:54:00-07:00&max-results=20 (scroll about halfway down)

Aces
02-20-2012, 12:33 AM
So glad I found this thread! I'm planning on cosplaying Theon Greyjoy later this year.

cyanidesun797
02-27-2012, 08:09 AM
I'm going to be cosplaying as Daenerys in her Dothraki outfit this year. :)

lunasol
02-27-2012, 04:39 PM
Hi, everyone! I'm planning on making one of Daenerys' costumes from the books, with her lion-skin cloak (for those who haven't read the books, Drogo kills a lion and Dany has a cloak made out of its skin, with the head as a kind of hood). For the head/hood part I'm planning on sculpting a lion head out of clay, then making a cast out of paper mache or plaster or something light, maybe with a wire frame inside if it needs more support, and then putting fur and eyes and other details on top. But I don't know how well this would work; has anyone made this costume or just have any brilliant ideas about how I could make this? Thanks!
Edit: Never mind, I found something perfect.

HidingintheMist
03-26-2012, 12:17 PM
I'm really tempted to start a Jon Snow cosplay later this year. Love him in both the books and the show.

moonflower.
03-26-2012, 04:36 PM
So I'm definitely doing Sansa for dragon*con. super excited!

HidingintheMist
03-26-2012, 09:11 PM
Jon Snow is a go, I'll start working on the costume in July. I have two friends joining in as Robb Stark and Dany. We may also have a Drogo. They'll probably be an SDCC 2013 or Comikaze Expo 2012 debut.

DaniiChan
03-27-2012, 12:38 AM
Post pictures! I love seeing GoT cosplay!

HidingintheMist
03-27-2012, 11:19 AM
I'll be sure to once we get started. I think I'll buy the fur the next time I go fabric shopping- and maybe the fabric for Jon's cloak. Depends on my finances though.

Gamer4Ever13
03-29-2012, 06:53 PM
I am going to cosplay as Arya Stark for the Georgia Renaissance Festival in April/May/June (I don't know how many times I will go). I would like to make/find her vest that she wears in this picture:
http://www.scificongress.com/wp-content/plugins/rss-poster/cache/a0cd0_Game-Of-Thrones-season-2-Arya_Stark.jpg
However, I don't think I have the time or the skill to make it, so unless I can find something similar, I will just do this outfit:
http://www.boomtron.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Arya-Stark-game-of-thrones-23048342-450-450.jpg
I'm going to see what my local thrift stores have to offer, and I need to make Needle. I am thankful I don't need a wig for this cosplay, since I have the same hair.

sylus
04-03-2012, 03:07 PM
i really wanna get together a Joffrey costume sometime here soon. but a part of me now also wants to cosplay Renly aswell.

o0Hitsuzen0o
04-06-2012, 11:17 PM
Entertainment Weekly just released pics from the second season of Daenery's Qartheen dress. I can't decide if I want to do that or her outfit before she walks into Drogo's pyre.

tajiri786
04-16-2012, 06:54 AM
thanks dear this is nice thread, i likr=e it..

Sephirayne
04-30-2012, 08:55 PM
Hi all ^^.

Just came across this thread. I recently had the chance to cosplay as Jaime Lannister as part of a group here in the UK. Considering how long I have cosplayed (20 years) it was by far one of my costume highlights. I got to hang with a lovely bunch of friends as well as make new ones. We all had a great time in the photo-shoot. So much so that we are trying again later on this year.

I was originally going to cosplay as Dany as I have white blond hair at the correct length already but decided since there was already a Dany signed up to the group that I would switch to Jaime. I had great fun putting his base costume together. I am planning on doing Dany at a later date as well as more of Jaime's costumes including the Kingsguard armour.

Here is the video of our Masquerade entry. I hope you enjoy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8wVu1VC2lM&feature=share

I'll be adding the costume shortly on here so you can see photos from the shoot.

Loving this thread and all the costumes. Looking forward to seeing more.

Aces
05-27-2012, 11:00 AM
I've shifted my original Theon idea and decided on Jon Snow. So far I'm about 50% done with it.

HidingintheMist
06-07-2012, 03:58 PM
Changed to doing Jaime Lannister, since my friend would make a perfect Jon and he wanted to.

I may wind up making a cosplay of "Young Griff" from ADWD as well.

myalchod
06-07-2012, 04:23 PM
At the very beginning stages of putting together a Catelyn cosplay -- fabric gathering and notetaking/sketching/screencapping. Probably going for the basic flat-colour dress she wears in the first season, because I have no particular interest in driving myself insane looking for a particular pattern of brocade again. XD

(And one of these days I will cosplay the Queen of Thorns, simply because I CAN. Just need to find me some minions ...)

Moofingham
06-07-2012, 06:31 PM
Man, I can't believe this season is already over. It felt like it just started....

It's so simple, but I love Shae's dress. I actually want to use a similiar style for another project, but I have no idea what to call that when searching for a pattern. Halter top and gathered halter top didn't work so I am at a bit of a loss.... Any suggestions?

http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/game-of-thrones/photo-gallery-detail/EP01389809/1283874 FOr reference/

PSY-chan
06-07-2012, 06:40 PM
@Moofingham: This pattern (http://www.simplicity.com/p-2411-misses-dresses.aspx) might be a good place to start.

GlassCannon
06-07-2012, 06:45 PM
Oh awesome, I was hoping someone would tackle Shae's (or Ros's) style of dress! I'm working on the similar one that Daenerys wears in the first episode, fabric's in the dryer right now actually, hehe.

I didn't have any luck looking for other people talking about this style of dress, anywhere, no matter what search terms I used. I've taken to calling it the King's Landing Maxi Dress, since tons and tons of women -- handmaidens, whores, peasants, little girls, everyone but nobility -- in King's landing wear the same style. Once I started looking for it in the background of King's Landing shots, I saw it everywhere. Some have an embroidered panel in the front like Shae's and Ros's do, some are plain, some use more fabric and have more drape in the back, some use very little fabric. Most were in pastels or earth tones.

I think the construction should be really really simple, and if it comes together the way I think it will, I'm planning on putting together a tutorial for this style, since I think it could be one of the easiest options for "I want to do a Game of Thrones costume but I can barely sew" cosplayers (as well as people who just like the style, of course!).

After looking at every screenshot I could grab (as far as I know, none of these dresses have been on display anywhere?), I think it's basically what I've seen called a pillow-case-dress (ie, made from a pillowcase, for toddlers) with extra fabric at the sides. McCall's pattern 6115 is similar (http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m6115-products-11129.php?page_id=108) -- just add maybe a yard of fabric under each arm, with the casings/gathering at center front and center back, and you should get a similar drape to what we've seen on the show.

Every time I've spotted this dress style, it's always worn with a belt (as in your picture of Shae, Moofingham) or with a heavy metal ring at the low back. Either of these would work to hold the fabric tight against one's sides, and prevent wardrobe malfunctions. In Shae's first King's Landing scene (where she's talking about the smell), you can see that she's also wearing a gathered (draw-string waist?) skirt under her dress, to further prevent wardrobe malfunctions. Ros doesn't seem to wear anything under hers, but hey, that's Ros, hehe.

Moofingham
06-07-2012, 07:18 PM
King's Landing Maxi Dress. Love it.

I wished it had been on display at the Toronto game of thrones, or that costume designers would just take HQ pics of their stuff so we could see XD; Inquiring costumers need to know these things.

I just watched some clips on Youtube, and yes, she does wear it two different ways. I didn't realize how open it was in the back, since she had her cape thing covering it - which I assume is just attached to the the cord through the casing on her neck. Her hair was in the way. I can picture how to do the top part, but connecting that to the skirt and how it would stay with the belt, I can't seem to picture. That pattern looks like the right shaping, better than Kwik sew 6119, which I found earlier.

I feel like this is one of those times where a drapery panel is going to be butchered for the sake of art...
I'd love to know how your trial at it goes!

GlassCannon
06-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Best as I can tell, the back is exactly the same as the front (part of what makes this dress so simple), minus the embroidery. If you laid it out flat, it'd be a giant rectangle with casings at center front and center back, gathering about half the fabric, with the other half ungathered on the sides. The cape-looking-thing is actually just the back of the dress, gathered just the same as the front. There's no connecting it to the skirt, since the dress is all one piece, gathered at the top and then falling straight to the floor.

So if you imagine it as a big 4 yard wide rectangle sewed into a tube, with one yard gathered at the front, then a yard ungathered at the side, a yard gathered in the back, and a yard ungathered on the other side. Identical front and back (other than embroidery). Worn as-is, those huge sides would gape open, and not really cover any of the bits we generally try to cover, lol. But when Shae wears a belt, it goes over the front gathered panel, against her skin at the sides, and then under the back gathered panel, which then looks a bit cape-like. The belt is tight so it holds the fabric tight at the sides, but lets it billow out in the back.

The metal ring works a bit similarly, just thread it over the back gathered part before you tie the shoulder straps/drawstrings. The metal ring will hang as low as the fabric will stretch, and so pull the fabric tight into the sides of the wearer. Same dress, different looks by switching to belt or ring. Does that make sense? I can see it all in my head, not sure if I'm describing it well or not, hehe.

Moofingham
06-07-2012, 07:40 PM
Oh, I see what you mean! I was picturing it as a one sided top and skirt somehow mushed together rather than a tube. That makes more sense. So it's more about how to tie it down to the body rather than complex panels and gores.

I'm guessing the actually tie for the gathered part is somewhere are the back, since I don't see it along the sides at all. Maybe there is a break in the casing at the centre back and it's just hidden on the inside. The gathers look flexible and not fixed down in the front either. How tightly it's pulled seem to vary by episode. Hmm..

GlassCannon
06-07-2012, 07:51 PM
Yeah, so I think we're talking more drawstring than gathered-and-sewn-down, if that makes sense. You might want to take a look at Daenerys's (in s1e1) and Ros's (in s1e10) for reference as well. In that first scene with Daenerys, Viserys sweeps her hair back and unties the drawstring, and I think it's by her right shoulder-blade, so in back just at the edge of the casing. You can see the thin strings hanging down in back before he unties it too (the thin ones, not the thick decorative ones that Daenerys's has but Shae's doesn't). In Ros's scene with Maester Luwin, she puts the dress back on and I think ties the neck in back. So it might be right at the edge of the casing, or a break at center back like you said. Either way the drawstrings could be tucked inside the dress pretty easily. But yeah, then it becomes an issue of how to keep it from gaping, rather than any complex patterning or sewing.

GlassCannon
06-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Btw, in case my quick replies didn't tip you off, I am so excited to see someone else working on this style! I haven't had anyone to talk with about this, hehe. ;)

Moofingham
06-07-2012, 08:14 PM
Btw, in case my quick replies didn't tip you off, I am so excited to see someone else working on this style! I haven't had anyone to talk with about this, hehe. ;)

^_^ It''s fun have people to work with on things like this. More people means more ideas and encouragement. Plus, it helps to have people know at least some part of what you're talking about. I know when I make random costuming construction comments to people like my coworkers, I just get blank looks and no help other than: "Why?"

Hm, no luck at getting those scenes. Ah, well. We have a start point at least. I plan on buying the DVDs when I can get them at the good prince, and will probably spend the time checking for costumes. I'd probably hide the casing at the back, either inserting a small slit in the back panel, or just in the casing itself.... could place the slit on the inside and it would hide it completely...add a small hook and eye to ensure it wouldn't come apart. That would put the pressure on the clasp and not on the tie, less the material used for ties splits and goes 18A on us.

Maybe to keep the gathers in place, at the neck, we could use those...I want to call them choke beads. That is not the name, but those things that are usiing on the ends of drawstrings on the hoods of raincoats. You squeeze them in to move them and when you release them they stay in places? Could always get some small ones and paint them a matching or decorative colour, as if they were really resin or glass beads. Place them on the ends of the fabric to be gathered and they would prevent the fabric from shifting while wearing, but not be permenantly tacked into place.

Shae has an advantage on me at least with keeping it in place, seeing as she is a great deal flatter in the chest than I. I forsee carpet tape or a skin tone bodysuit in my future with a dress like this...

Aces
06-08-2012, 08:19 AM
Jon Snow is complete! At a con right now and about to get changed; I'll post pictures as I find them!

GlassCannon
06-08-2012, 01:25 PM
@Moofingham -- Oh, the choke-bead-type-things (no idea what they're called either, hehe) is a good idea, especially if you could find some nice looking ones, maybe online (the only ones I've seen at say JoAnn's are ugly black plastic, but as you say could be painted). Hmm, I'll see how my fabric wants to behave once I have the drawstring in, if it needs extra coaxing to stay in place. I'm hoping to pick up thread and get started on the dress today or this weekend.

@Aces -- Can't wait to see your Jon Snow!

Moofingham
06-08-2012, 08:34 PM
@Aces - You know nothing, Jon Snow. I mean, awesome! Have fun!

@GlassCannon - *shakes fist in general direction* This dress is consuming my thought process! Seriously, I'm was at work and during a lull I'm working out approximate yardages of material I would need based on width of fabric.

What I'm thinking, if we are using the 4 yard theory, or rather in my case, metre theory: To allow room for hem, measure from neck to floor and add a bit. Ergo, fabric with 150cm/60" width would be ideal. Cut at 3.5-4m. If fabric is only at 115cm/45inch, to allow for floor length hem, I would need approximately 5.25m of material.
Based on Shae's pic, the insert fabric stripe would likely be no more than a half metre of fabric, though purchasing three quarters of a metre would be best. Insert panel at raw cut edges, tube is created with only two seams at that contrast point. Also, by the looks of it, the casing looks like it's on the outside of the dress rather than the inside by the way, the material is coming out from behind it. Unless it's seperate piece altogether stitched above it, though I don't think it is...

Plus, I discovered a belt of mine that might work for this, hopefully, the extra fabric will cause it to tighten a smidgen. And, I also have savaged wooden rings that were forner curtain rod hooks, I could try and do the ring method with.

I noticed on Dany's dress, it looks like there were knots in the cording at the gather points, so that might also work.

Oh, and a possible working for anti 18A oneself. A bandero top could be made to go over a strapless bra, made of the contrast material and elastic so it looks like it's part of the outfit rather than an out of place body suit,.

....my head feels less full now. :D

GlassCannon
06-08-2012, 11:45 PM
LOL, I am so with you on this dress consuming my thought process. It's so simple, yet draped so interestingly that it's the perfect little puzzle to muse over. I've had to make myself stop talking about it to my husband, as I've long since exhausted his interest in the subject -- and he'll be costuming as Ser Jorah right along side my Dany, lol.

I had the exact same thought process on the amount of fabric, 4 to 4.5 yards, including the embroidery panel, at a width wide enough to stretch from collar bone to the floor (could potentially even use the selvage edge as a hem?). But that' requires at least 52" wide fabric, even for someone as short as I am (5'2"). That narrows the possible fabric choices a bit, but still plenty to choose from. And you're right, having just the two seams on either side of the embroidery panel, no other seams, would make for a really nice look.

The problem that I ran into with Dany's version is that it appears to be made out of crinkle cotton gauze, whereas Shae's and Ros's seem to be a more silk-like fabric. I managed to find a 52" wide crinkle cotton gauze, in lavender even (here (http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=7b62c27f-0601-438e-92f2-1a69aabc2782), for posterity), but ran into two problems. First, the gauze is a bit too sheer for my liking, so needs another layer under it, of gauze or something else. And second, the crinkles run parallel to the selvage edge rather than perpendicular like I'd hoped, so if I used the selvage edge as a hem, the crinkles would go around me rather than up and down. So mine is going to end up having four seams, actually, but I think I'll be able to hide them in the edge of the gathers pretty easily.

But, yes, in theory, if you can find a drapey fabric that's 52"+ wide, without any nap issues like I ran into with the crinkle cotton gauze, it could be a 1-2 seam, 2 casing dress. Couple simple measurements, couple straight seams, done in an afternoon. Even with the extra seams and lining in mine, I don't expect it to take me very long (and now that I've finally gone out and bought thread, I can put that theory to the test ;D ).

Oh, and I'm planning on doing a little underthing (small clothes? :D ) too. I'm on the excessively busty side, so it'll hang a bit differently on me than it does on the actresses, but that's fine, lol. The upside is that because of the bust, I've been making my own swimsuits for a few years now. My plan is to make basically a bikini top with straps that crisscross in back (not a halter) out of the same fabric and using the same cording for the ties. That'll give me some support, but from the back I don't think you'll be able to tell what cords go where, and the drape (and my wig) should cover most of it anyway. Bandero top could work really well too. And I have to admit I've given some thought to what I'd have to wear under this to be able to wear it as just an every day dress, lol.

Moofingham
06-09-2012, 05:00 PM
Possible mission success. Got 4m of an olive green "vintage silk", which is polyester but has a sort of textured appearance, and has a lovely drape to it, and seems thin enough that it will gather okay. Plus, it was 60" width, so I might be able to do the two seam panel, if the sheen is okay. Got an insert of an off-white gauzy material with golden butterfly lineart, which will bring out the gold of the belt I might be able to use. All theoretical, but that's the exciting part!

Also ended up 3.5m of a lovely slate blue drapery material. No idea what for but I liked it.
So, I have to check tonight about the sheen direction, and what I could use for lacing....oh, I do have that gold cording belt I used for white Mage.....

That bikini top style would work great for yours. I looked again at dany's dress, and you're right at all the straps.

Ooh, this is exciting!

Edit: checked the sheen. Works perfectly either way, so yay two seam dress! Changed mind about the insert contrast though, doesnt have enough ummpf to it. But, the material will make a lovely set of scarves. Back to the drawing board for the insert.

makotohanabi
06-09-2012, 05:12 PM
Started working on a Talisa Maegyr costume. Still trying to figure out how to do the blood and dirt on her apron and skin. Searching tutorials, and I'll ask for help at the local theater supply store. Start experimenting with muslin and getting the basic design down. Bought swatches, I swear there are times where her dress looks blueish other times it looks greenish.

Chatting with a friend who is also a Game of Thrones fan, and she offered to sell me horsehair (her buyer backed out of the deal) for a very reasonable price. Thinking of going as a random Dothraki in Dani's Khalasar.

DaniiChan
06-11-2012, 10:56 AM
I can't wait to see your dresses!! You put so much more thought into it than me.... I just planned to pin the chord to my dressform then drape the fabric over it, figuring it out as I go XDD

makotohanabi- Can't wait to see your Talisa!!! I almost wanna do the costume JUST for the bloody arms... that'll look awesome!!

Moofingham
06-11-2012, 10:42 PM
I can't wait to see your dresses!! You put so much more thought into it than me.... I just planned to pin the chord to my dressform then drape the fabric over it, figuring it out as I go XDD

makotohanabi- Can't wait to see your Talisa!!! I almost wanna do the costume JUST for the bloody arms... that'll look awesome!!

LOL Sometimes in the end that's the best way to do it! I have a small collection of bustles that acquired their gathers and drapes exactly by rigging up the dress form...and before the dress form, my mother... And attacking the material with pins at pleasing intervals.

Got new fabric for the embroidered insert. It's drapery, thicker than the faux silk, but the colour matches well. I'm going to use the wrong side of the material, though, because I like the embossing. Plus I have (way more than, buy 1m get 2m free) enough to make some sort of bra/bandero/princess seamed whatever to go under it...which might require a pattern.

GlassCannon
06-11-2012, 11:10 PM
Woot, very cool, can't wait to see it! I started on mine in earnest today, dyeing the cording and the trim that Dany's has, cutting the pieces, and seaming them into a big tube. Just finished the last seam (at ~106" each, they took awhile!), gunna fold the whole thing over for the lining layer and see about placing the casings. I'm at maybe 3 hours so far, so I'm guessing this will probably be my fastest costume build ever, lol.

And I really need to get myself a dressform one of these days. Or make one. I'm a bit oddly proportioned, and last winter worked out a plan for turning a flat sloper into a 3D dressform made of muslin. Got about half way done with it before I had to switch gears into "omg, DragonCon is in 80 days!!" mode. It'd make draping muuuuuch easier, as so far I've been draping on myself, while looking in the mirror. Yeah, not ideal. ;)

Moofingham
06-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Blargh, that was a busy and yet unproductive week at the same time. I did start my Lulu dress for the zelda symphony at least, because techincally it's a costume I "need" to make, but I made no headway with the KL Maxi.

I did at least, start playing with accessories, and such. Pretty much everything seems to be falling into a green and gold scheme so I dove into the asoiaf wiki and pretty much concluded that it matches House Tyrell's sheild. Alright, cool Highgarden it is. Maybe I should make a banner too. Hm, I wonder if I can find pics of the banners I saw at the hbo GoT show that was at the tiff....

GlassCannon
06-22-2012, 06:33 PM
Finally took a couple of quick (no wig, no makeup) shots of the King's Landing Maxi so far, here (http://sheliesshattered.deviantart.com/#/d54lfbg). My initial idea seems to have panned out well -- this is a simple rectangular tube about 380cm around, with ~142cm drawstring casings at center back and center front. The big metal ring (wrought iron made by a blacksmith I found on Etsy, no joke) in the back weights down the sides, and gives the same drape as we've seen in all the dresses of this style on the show. It's also ridiculously comfortable to wear (or will be once I hem it anyway, hehe).

Moofingham
06-24-2012, 11:18 AM
Oh, that turned out amazing! Bravo, bravo! And the ring is perfect.
So, the measurement of fabric worked out well, then with about 4 yards total? For the casings, was that 140cm, divided into two casings? 70 in the front and 70 in the back? Or both at 140? Leaving about....a half metre under each arm?

GlassCannon
06-24-2012, 12:17 PM
Hehe, thanks! :D

With the fabric I'm using, I had to rotate it 90 degrees, because the crinkles run parallel to the selvage edge rather than perpendicular, which would have allowed me to do just one seam. So with this fabric, I had to do four panels, sewing the selvage edges together. The fabric was listed as 52" wide when I bought it, but washed and seamed, each panel ended up about 95.5cm wide, or just a smidge over a yard. So the four panels together work out to about 4.16 yards.

I did some measuring before I cut and estimated that I wanted about 90cm ungathered at the sides -- I measured from my collarbone where the front casing would end, down under my arm to the base of my spine, then straight up from there to the base if my neck where the back casing would be. With that measurement and knowing that I wanted to hide the seams in the gathers, I decided to make each casing a full panel's width (95.5cm) plus 7.5cm on each side of the seam, or about 110.5cm wide. Sewed that up by turning about 2cm under for the casing, then tried it in with the ring and drawstrings and everything. And I felt like the back was a bit too low for my comfort, with the ring hanging at a height where I'd sit on it, rather than at the top of my hips. So I pinned up some of the extra to get an idea of how much I wanted to raise it, and added another 16cm to each side of each casing, making each casing about 142.5cm long.

In theory, that leaves only 48.5cm ungathered under each arm, but because of the crinkles this fabric does have some mechanical stretch, so in reality the distance is longer than that, with the weight of the ring pulling the crinkles out a bit. Rather than extending the casings by 16cm on each side, I could have just taken that same amount out at the seams and had the same result, only slightly less full in the gathered sections. I may still do that because I think the gathered sections might be a tad too full now, but I didn't want to cut into the fabric until I had the side fit right.

Anyhow, I hope that all makes sense, lol. I switched to cm for sewing a few years back and now have basically no ability to use inches when sewing, hehe. But for reference, I'm 5'2"/157.5cm tall, short-waisted, and my bust is about 37"/94cm. For me with this fabric, this is what worked out well, but I think it's going to be a bit different for each person and each fabric, but thankfully adding or subtracting from the casing length isn't difficult at all, especially as fitting goes, heh. I'm hoping to be able to distill this down to how to take measurements that will work for anyone before I write the tutorial, but even without the tutorial I think anyone with some sewing experience should be able to tackle this no problem.

Next up is the hem, which I'll do today or tomorrow, and that'll be the final test to see if this could be done really simply with the right fabric, using the selvage edge as the hem, or if it'll need a bit more finessing at the hem. At this point I don't know if the sides will need to be hemmed shorter than front and back or if it'll all hang just right, but we'll see soon. ;)

GlassCannon
06-24-2012, 01:15 PM
Oh, I also meant to add: I ended up not not doubling my fabric over, even though it's a bit sheer. It was starting to look seriously thick with two layers, so instead I'm going to make a skirt to go under the dress. But that also means that unhemmed it's more than twice as long as it needs to be, lol.

Moofingham
06-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Oh, I also meant to add: I ended up not not doubling my fabric over, even though it's a bit sheer. It was starting to look seriously thick with two layers, so instead I'm going to make a skirt to go under the dress. But that also means that unhemmed it's more than twice as long as it needs to be, lol.

Twice as long....or two dresses in one! Anyways! Thanks for the write up, that really helps. I will need to extend the width of mine since my material will not have the stretch in it, maybe by another 30 cm or so (based on the hilarious draping i was trying on myself) on each side to make up for the lack of stretch and that I have another four inches of bust on ya, though I might reduce it out of the gathering since Shae's is less full than dany's, at least in part. I luck out in seams though, since I got a 150cm width with no nap, so I can cut my contrast to fit, and have the seams in the gathers. I'll hem based on nice flat comfy sandals, which is so exciting since my last two costumes changed my citizenship to blister city.

Actually debating on making the seams proper using flat fell seams, those we will see how that goes. Might need to put a wee bit of interfacing into the casing of the non contrast material at the front for better weight support on that section.

Lol, I'll use the strangest mixture of measurements depending on need. Sewing I'll use metric or imperial, baking in cups, mileage in kilometres... Whatever works. If I need a metre I use one, If i need a foot I'll use that too.

GlassCannon
06-25-2012, 08:52 PM
More progress from the weekend, with pic here (http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/177/8/f/king__s_landing_maxi___wip_pt_2_by_sheliesshattere d-d54zm70.jpg). Once I hemmed it and got the shoulder drape worked out, I looked at some screenshots with my hubby and we both agreed that the back panel was looking too puffy, so I opened up one of the back seams and took about 48cm out of the back panel and seamed it back up again. I think it looks much better now (pre-cut on the left of that picture, post on the right), better than shows up in the photo, much less thick and puffy. I left the front alone because I tend to be a bit top-heavy, way more so than any of the actresses, so the full 142cm in front looks right on me.

So there's roughly 142cm in the front casing, 48.5cm ungathered on each side, and 94cm in the back casing, for a total of ~333cm, or 3.6 yards. But a different fabric might have not looked as puffy when gathered down, and/or looked more proportional on a different body. This is by far the easiest fitting I've ever done, so I'm not going to complain, lol.

Moofingham, on your flatfelled seams, my only concern would be that actually flatfelling them (as opposed to just French seams or pinked seams or whatever) might make it heavier than the rest of the fabric and thus hang weird. OTOH, if your contrast fabric is pretty lightweight, the flatfelled seams might give it more structure and encourage it to hang straight to the floor. Hard to say until you try. ;) Can't wait to see how yours comes along!

AngelicKey
06-26-2012, 12:16 AM
here is my fabric for Daenerys' blue and gold Qarth dress.

http://photo.cosplay.com/289598/3234208.jpg

MissLunatic
06-26-2012, 07:21 AM
Hey^^
cool, somehow just noticed the thread after I started only yesterday to inquire if ppl around my place would like to cosplay from A Song of Ice and Fire as well.^^
Maybe we get a little group together for next year. :) Looks good so far and since we might have Dany and Viserys already I ended up tempted to cosplay Young Griff from ADWD or maybe Rhaegar Targaryen. (Since I like so many chars, but wouldn't feel comfortable to cosplay my favechar who just happens to be an 8-9 year old girl XD.)
So far we would be just dragons and wolves though^^.

GlassCannon
06-27-2012, 02:06 PM
AngelicKey, I've been following your progress on Facebook, can't wait to see how it turns out!

MissLunatic, welcome to the club! Definitely keep us updated on your progress, especially since those are some of the more rare ASoIaF characters to see. :D

Yummy Gamorah
06-27-2012, 03:49 PM
Howdy all! I'm just finishing up my first Daenerys dress and since it seems that Game of Thrones costuming is addictive I figured i should come seek help in this support group - I'm getting ready to start my 2nd Danny costume next month.

@Glasscannon I love your maxi dress :) it looks great

@Angelickey cant wait to see progress on your Qarth dress!

Moofingham
06-28-2012, 03:08 PM
Excellent, more comrades in arms!

Currently, waiting for iron to cool down so I can start back on the dress. (Nana beseeched her grandaughter to reinforce her drape seams. There were many. Much steam was used. Iron is now too hot for my own dress fabric.)

So far....I've sewn the contrast material to the main material. XD; Not much of anything. I plan on starting on the upper hem today, so I can then fiddle around with the casings. Currently the measurements sit at 3.6m of green, 0.5m of contrast, which will seperate into two casings of 110cm each, with 95cm at the sides - give or take. I finally found my own ring that I hope will work; a steel hitching ring from Canadian Tire. Seems heavy enough, and should take the paint if I want to change it to gold to match the motif I have going on here. Very tempted to add dangling thingies to the ring for more interest. Yay! Bustle jewlery!

MissLunatic
06-28-2012, 07:06 PM
Thanks, GlassCannon :). Happy to join. It has somehow become so popular since the TV series was released^^.
Well, actually when I first asked we would have had maybe 3 possible Danys xD. But for that reason some thought of other chars as well.
Uhm, I'm not sure though if there is much to share yet xD. Most likely it will take till next October (2013) since it would be most awesome to cosplay this at a bookfair to my mind.^^
So I'm not going to start working on a cosplay very soon (still so much to do for this year ^^''). Just if I'd cosplay a second char on another occasion I might.
Only recruiting just yet and we'll as always have to see how many will stick to this till the end. Currently we'd be 5 though. Dany, Viserys and Aegon of the Targs and Robb and Jon of the Starks.

Moofingham
06-28-2012, 08:56 PM
@Miss Lunatic - That's an awesome start! I hope everyone and more sticks to it so you guys have a good group.

...I just had a wonderfully productive evening. I overlocked all the raw edges in the seams, hemmed the upper part of the dress, and stitched on both casings. <--is proud of herself. Now, I'm at the point of being able to test out the gathers and draping. I have two widths of gold cord I can use, depending on what looks best - the bias tape I applied to make the casing could fit either depending. The contrast material I used is a great deal thicker than the body material, so I wonder if I will have to use the thinner cord to make it gather tighter....but that must wait until tomorrow for The Night is Dark and Full of Reading.

EnchantMe-X
06-29-2012, 07:07 AM
I'm being really hyper-organised and have already started making my armour for next year's London Film and Comic Con (LFCC). I've decided to make Loras Tyrell's armour as it is described in the Game of Thrones novel, with the forget-me-nots and gemstones! Big task, but since I've given myself a year to do it, I should be able to finish it in plenty of time. =D

sylus
07-08-2012, 10:44 PM
so i'm hoping to start on my renly costume soon even though i wont need it till next year id rather start now then do it all at the last second. but anyway. i'm looking for a good fake beard and mustach to go with him and i'm right now thinking this one > http://www.norcostco.com/biblicalsynthetic.aspx but it seems a little light and not shaggy like his so i'm not sure. has anyone worked with fake beards before? is there a way to make them shaggy and do they take to wig dyes or hair dyes? or does anyone know of a better one to match his?

Fennius
07-13-2012, 08:27 AM
Well I've decided to do a White Walker costume, I have ideas for how to do it but any advice(and reference pics) people can give me would be useful.

DaniiChan
07-17-2012, 12:45 AM
Well I've decided to do a White Walker costume, I have ideas for how to do it but any advice(and reference pics) people can give me would be useful.

Here are some :)
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/382496_869109455749_1572088984_n.jpg
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s720x720/527988_869109470719_802422871_n.jpg
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/403894_869109480699_1434444953_n.jpg
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s720x720/548648_869109500659_651169190_n.jpg

starlily06
07-30-2012, 04:41 PM
my boyfriend and i want to do jon and ygritte i havent a clue where to start i came here for ideas. anyone know good places to get fabric or patterns? im sure i can make jon's cloak easily but i have no idea how to do ygritte

Moofingham
08-02-2012, 07:54 PM
Finally some headway on the House Tyrell dress. It's pretty much all sewn, save for the pleat work, but I still have a lot to do on the under bodice. I can get it done, in.... what three weeks? Less than that? Pshaw!

(Also finally got the DVD set. <3! Yay!)

Cilo
09-04-2012, 12:00 AM
Hey there! I'm looking to cosplay Game of Thrones, mostly for my mom because I grew up with the books around the house, admiring the covers and she's such a big fan that it would be a great surprise for her, and since the first season started airing, I've also started being a big fan too.

So here I am, wondering which of Sansa or Arya I'd fit better. While keeping in mind that I am not a strong sewing person.
Here's a picture of me. Looking as natural as I can. Haha. Side-ish: http://i45.tinypic.com/2mr5ydg.jpg Front-ish: http://i47.tinypic.com/34npowi.jpg

Both of the outfits I'd love to cosplay have some difficulties I'd like to overcome. The Arya one being the second season with the straps, and the Sansa problem is her hair and the belt.

Thanks in advance!

DaniiChan
09-12-2012, 12:58 AM
Hey there! I'm looking to cosplay Game of Thrones, mostly for my mom because I grew up with the books around the house, admiring the covers and she's such a big fan that it would be a great surprise for her, and since the first season started airing, I've also started being a big fan too.

So here I am, wondering which of Sansa or Arya I'd fit better. While keeping in mind that I am not a strong sewing person.
Here's a picture of me. Looking as natural as I can. Haha. Side-ish: http://i45.tinypic.com/2mr5ydg.jpg Front-ish: http://i47.tinypic.com/34npowi.jpg

Both of the outfits I'd love to cosplay have some difficulties I'd like to overcome. The Arya one being the second season with the straps, and the Sansa problem is her hair and the belt.

Thanks in advance!

How tall are you? I'd say if you're short, do Arya, but I think with the right wig, you'd make a beautiful Sansa! You have a regal look about you.

Cilo
09-12-2012, 04:53 AM
How tall are you? I'd say if you're short, do Arya, but I think with the right wig, you'd make a beautiful Sansa! You have a regal look about you.

I'm 5'5", very average height, unfortunately. Not short, nor tall!
I agree. It's all about the wig, which I'm not really sure how to get, because of how Sansa's hair is always slicked back.
I think I really need a lace-front wig mixed with a skin top, but the arda one I found is too long, and does not come in red.. :x

Thanks for answering!

StuckOnAsgard
10-05-2012, 08:40 PM
Okay, so I wasn't gonna post in here cause I'm really self-conscious.... but I finished my Dany top today. But now that it's finished I keep over-analyzing it and am very frustrated that it's not looking right. So I need your help.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2h3oufp.jpg
(apologies for the crappy cell-phone quality pic)

(I fixed it so the left doesn't have so many 'ripples' after the pic) Obviously I don't have the brooches yet...

Anyway, my question to you all is this: I took a creative liberty adding in all those light threads vertically into it to give it the same effect that hers has, but I don't feel I got it... So what should I do? Leave it? Take them out completely? (then I'd have a bunch of holes in it..) or replace them with a darker (yet still lighter) threadthing? Or perhaps any other suggestions?

Any constructive criticism would be appreciated, thank you :)

Also, though I know you all know it, a quick reference just so you don't have to go looking it up:

http://i52.tinypic.com/2v7tshu.png

What kind of fabric are you using for that? I am planning on putting together the same costume.

DaniiChan
10-08-2012, 10:26 PM
I used an upholstery fabric from JoAnnes (I think it was still there last time I was there....) Like a woven brown fabric, and then turned it inside out and added to it.

Here is a re-vamped version of this shirt. One day when I have the time I plan to hand-weave it....

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3297653/

gentlekhaldrogo
10-30-2012, 04:53 PM
does anyone know where i can khal drogo leather griddles and arm braces ?

Cilo
11-28-2012, 04:48 AM
Hii!

My mom gave me a dragonfly necklace, so I can do Sansa!

I just have a hard time choosing wigs.
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.3.0.110.KdizTD&id=15696084019& I like the color on this one, but it doesn't have a skin top.
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.3.0.66.TXr5HP&id=14560228640& Love this one, but it might be too light, although I think the photos of the wig is photoshopped.
OR
Should I save money, and get a lace front wig from arda? Because all of her hair is up, or braided. :x

MetalArtisan
11-28-2012, 08:26 PM
It's not from the TV series, but:
I just bleached my hair, and I'm almost done with a suit of red and black scale armor I had been making for Fighter (FFI). I think I'm going to make myself a House Targaryen banner, I am TOTALLY cosplaying as Prince Rhaegar.
It's gonna be awesome.

dagmarus
11-30-2012, 07:41 PM
Finally getting started on my Eddard Stark. I commissioned the brigandine, and am looking for fabric for the shirt and gambeson. I'm going to be commissioning a lace front wig. I have everything else. I have a bit of weight I want to drop, as well. MAN am I excited for this.

A Grue
12-01-2012, 06:31 PM
Hey fellow Game of Thrones fans and costume enthusiasts!

If you aren't aware of the Ice and Fire Convention (http://iceandfireconvention.webs.com/)coming up in April next year, well, you need to be! As far as I know this is probably the only GOT con around, and it's being held at an actual castle (masquerading as a sweet B&B). I'm excited about it, and just wanted to pass on the word over here. So far we have karaoke and a feast and gaming definitely lined up, and the more the merrier. 8D Hope some folks from coscom consider attending!

Can't wait for season three and all of its new characters and new costumes~

Ronnichu
12-27-2012, 06:16 PM
Yay! GoT! So, I really want to cosplay as Cersei, and do her beautiful gold corset. I'm just not sure how to build it. I was thinking that Wonderflex might be a good medium, but I'm not sure that would work. Thoughts?

Cilo
01-12-2013, 06:14 AM
Hi again! Last issue, which isn't an issue really, just wondering about length of wig for Sansa.

I was going to go with "Cheapest" but they are both the same price. Should I go long, even though the shorter one /looks/ as long as the TV show's actress' hair.
Long wig is also layered.

Shorter wig: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.10.14.Z1PsBm&id=14361796533
verses
Longer wig: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.10.232.Z1PsBm&id=16719503056

siyrean
01-26-2013, 05:03 AM

If you aren't aware of the Ice and Fire Convention (http://iceandfireconvention.webs.com/)coming up in April next year, well, you need to be! As far as I know this is probably the only GOT con around, and it's being held at an actual castle (masquerading as a sweet B&B). I'm excited about it, and just wanted to pass on the word over here. So far we have karaoke and a feast and gaming definitely lined up, and the more the merrier. 8D Hope some folks from coscom consider attending!

pretty much decided yesterday that I'm going and today started buying mats on Ebay for Cercei.

Identity-Crisis
01-26-2013, 08:54 AM

I'd love to go to something like that, but I'm still pretty new to the series and having some serious trouble focusing on one character to cosplay.

and there's the fact that it's in Ohio.

SolFreer
01-30-2013, 05:07 AM
Probably hard to tell, but the pic below is actually NOT of Emilia Clarke, it's of me cosplaying Daenerys:
http://imgly.net/img/AT4K.jpg

:P

All jokes aside, I went pretty all-out for this trans-gender Targaryen costume.
The whole costume is based on the descriptions of Daenerys from the novels, not the show.
- Hair like threads of silver and gold spun together.
- Violet eyes.
- Dressed in Qartheen manner: one breast bared from robes.

Did the hair by buying a silvery-white wig, then spraying with blonde-gold hair spray, lightly all-over, then stronger in some streaks.
Eyes are UV Violet contacts, bought online.
Clothing is just a girl's toga bought at a costume store.

The difficult part was the dragon, which I searched many toy stores for and couldn't find a cheap, suitably sized one. So I went for a pterodactyl toy instead.

Also, yes didn't bother to shave, cos I figured it's funnier this way. :P

siyrean
02-03-2013, 11:01 AM
gotta admit, that is pretty epic

Lemon-Squeezy
02-04-2013, 12:23 AM
Oooh my goodness, so many Daenerys' lol. I actually m thinking of cosplaying Margaery Tyrell. However I want to base what I wear on one her TV outfits and I don't want to be a burrito 0:

But we'll see what they dress her in in season 3.

siyrean
02-04-2013, 06:47 AM
yeah, as a hardcore book fan, I've decided to just ignore GoT versions, the show's a real hit and miss with me.

Lemon-Squeezy
02-05-2013, 09:22 AM
I just look at it as a very similar but separate story.

I think that like, 90% of the costumes they design are gorgeous. They just happen to dress Margaery like a burrito lol.

IronIslander
02-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Psyched to see some of you at the con in April! It'll be me and a friends first event of any sort like this. I'm like a month into making my costume and its going decent. I'm trying to go as theon greyjoy from season 2 in the crazy rusted iron islands armor. If anyone has any suggestions for the cloak he wears thatd be cool. I don't have any reference pictures on me :/. Also toying with making a young Robert baratheon durin the rebellion. Ive already got the warhammer from valyrian steel :/

Identity-Crisis
02-12-2013, 06:33 AM
Psyched to see some of you at the con in April! It'll be me and a friends first event of any sort like this. I'm like a month into making my costume and its going decent. I'm trying to go as theon greyjoy from season 2 in the crazy rusted iron islands armor. If anyone has any suggestions for the cloak he wears thatd be cool. I don't have any reference pictures on me :/. Also toying with making a young Robert baratheon durin the rebellion. Ive already got the warhammer from valyrian steel :/

Ah man, I'm considering doing Theon as well. When you finish your costume I think I'm going to have a few questions for you.

MissLunatic
02-12-2013, 08:39 AM
Hi again after quite some time.^^
OMG there is really to be a convention just dedicated to ASoIaF/GoT? Ok, but Ohio's a little bit far away anyway ^^''.

Meanwhile I have more or less decided to cosplay Young Griff for sure now and already skimmed through the parts in A Dance With Dragons again, in which he is mentioned. Unfortunately it's not much, but it'll serve as a base. Most likely going to choose blue hair over silver or there won't even be a slight chance for anyone to recognise the char at all. (Don't want to be mistaken for Rhaegar or Viserys afterall.)

Besides it's still kinda strange for me that the series is that popular now. Feels somehow sad and somehow epic at the same time.

IronIslander
02-14-2013, 09:43 AM
the more iron born the better IMO lol. But like i said this is my first time doing anything like this, including building my costume. so idk if im the best person to ask. My breastplate is coming out ok for a first project but i havent even started on the clothing part yet . And by ok i meen ok lol. not like some of the crazy armor i see in other con pictures. allthough im considering using some worbla or wonderflex and see if i can make it better.

Identity-Crisis
02-21-2013, 11:24 AM
http://media.screened.com/uploads/0/...61-arya_02.jpg

The skirt...thing..
What is it? Is there a name for it?
And how would I go about finding a pattern?

detenten
02-21-2013, 04:02 PM
http://media.screened.com/uploads/0/...61-arya_02.jpg

The skirt...thing..
What is it? Is there a name for it?
And how would I go about finding a pattern?

Your pic got cut off, did you mean to link this one?

http://media.screened.com/uploads/0/1805/449261-arya_02.jpg

I wanted to say a jerkin or doublet but I don't think either is correct.

Identity-Crisis
02-21-2013, 08:05 PM
Oops sorry, yes I did mean that one.
I was thinking the same thing, but those are both tops.
I keep wanting to say surcoat.

A Grue
02-23-2013, 07:28 PM
Whoa whoa whoa are we getting some more Ironborn to the con in Ohio in april?! NICE! I'm going as Asha! I'd be happy to see a Theon there.

IronIslander
02-25-2013, 08:42 PM
Haha im trying A Grue . Ive been screwing around with Foam for the armor, and just finished my first rough set. it came out pretty decent so i think ill be fine. But im having a bit of trouble trying to figure out the ironborn cloak. Either way ill be going as theon/ironborn~. Im thinking mine will pale in comparison to some of the costumes i saw from the dragoncon photos. But oh well!

IronIslander
02-25-2013, 09:21 PM
i cant seem to link this picture. but if anyone could help me out with the pattern/material itd be much appreciated. its not Theon but it is the same clothes.http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/9254/balongreyjoy458.jpg

A Grue
02-27-2013, 09:20 PM
i cant seem to link this picture. but if anyone could help me out with the pattern/material itd be much appreciated. its not Theon but it is the same clothes.http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/9254/balongreyjoy458.jpg

You can see from the frayed edges that it's not leather. I'd go get a stiff utility fabric in the right color, maybe like Duck Cloth, and distress the crap out of it. I'm trying to make a similar coat for Asha, so if I get a pattern that works I'll pass it along to you.

IronIslander
02-28-2013, 12:26 AM
cool, ill probably take a shot at it this weekend. the one im making doesn't need sleeves though.

Identity-Crisis
02-28-2013, 09:46 PM
I almost want to say some sort of matrix coat or duster pattern because of the shape and flow but I don't know if that's on the right track.

siyrean
03-01-2013, 01:02 PM
any idea's as to how to make a sigil look good if you don't own an embroidery machine? I've got a cape that needs the Lannister lion on the back.

jeproxshots
03-01-2013, 07:02 PM
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.503445313043389.1073741825.410336289020959&type=1

Mykaios
03-05-2013, 02:37 PM
I want to cosplay as Daenerys one of these days too...

I do really like the detail of Cersei Lannister's gowns as well, but I don't think I'd specifically cosplay as her. I would just make the gowns to make the gowns.

I look terrible as a blonde and the only blonde character I've cosplayed as is Saber and I'm not even sure how i feel about that. I think for Dany, I'm going to go with a white wig and maybe mix in some blonde and silver fibers but not too much.

chiigusa
03-07-2013, 02:51 PM
Hey all! Glad to see this thread is active!

I cosplayed as Daenerys last year and loved it so much! (My hair did not, so I will definitely be getting a wig if I wear her again, lol.) And right now I'm working on Cersei's costume from Blackwater with a very generous friend helping me out with her armor corset.

I'm so sad I can't go to the Ice & Fire con, but it is the same weekend as C2E2...and since that's a couple blocks from my apartment, I'll be going there instead, haha. But I'll definitely be reppin' GoT. :) Hope to see some fellow GoT cosplayers there.

Lucifer
03-08-2013, 10:51 AM
After being a long time fan of the show (and books), finally I'm taking the plunge into cosplaying from GoT. While there are some amazing characters, and costumes, I went with Ros (with my husband quite excited to be Baelish).

Roboticgiraffe
03-11-2013, 07:02 PM
I loveeee GoT (As I'm sure we all do here haha). I watched the series first though after someone at a ren faire suggested it but I'm reading the books now!
Anyways...
I'm whipping together a quick Dany cosplay for this weekend :D I'm really excited but I had a question for you other Khaleesi cosplayers...how did you make the heart??? I was trying to think of something that would be dry (obviously) so I wouldn't be dripping blood everywhere or anything haha. What did you guys use?

GlassCannon
03-12-2013, 02:33 PM
I loveeee GoT (As I'm sure we all do here haha). I watched the series first though after someone at a ren faire suggested it but I'm reading the books now!
Anyways...
I'm whipping together a quick Dany cosplay for this weekend :D I'm really excited but I had a question for you other Khaleesi cosplayers...how did you make the heart??? I was trying to think of something that would be dry (obviously) so I wouldn't be dripping blood everywhere or anything haha. What did you guys use?

I made mine out of jello and unflavored gelatin, and posted the recipe/tutorial for it here: http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=255314 With enough unflavored gelatin thrown in, it's completely dry to the touch once it sets, won't smear or leave stickiness, and it works really well for fake blood too. In my experience people get a big kick out of actually seeing you eat the heart, but I will warn you that if you do eat it, you won't be able to eat jello again for a very, very long time. ;P

Ani_BEE
03-15-2013, 04:19 PM
Just though I mention that Michael's has giant Easter eggs for sell again. On look to be 14" tall. ;)

dagmarus
03-15-2013, 05:20 PM
I'm finally getting my Eddard underway. I picked up this wig, and while it's a little too red, and I want to mute it some, it looks awesome.

http://photo.cosplay.com/20139/3361431.jpg

I've got the House Stark brigandine in full leather (that thing kicks serious ass, too), boots, the pin, and all I really need to do is make the soft goods clothing (shirts pants, etc) and I'm finished. I scored a chance to get into a special premier HBO is doing next Thursday, and they encouraged costumes...so this is getting a quick and dirty dry run!

chiigusa
03-15-2013, 05:59 PM
Wow that's awesome! Can't wait to see your completed costume! I'm going to a screening next Thursday too. Contemplating whether to wear Dany since I just got a new wig for her or to wear my Cersei minus all the dress's details. Hmmm.

I'm going to the screening in Chicago! Where is yours at?

dagmarus
03-15-2013, 08:19 PM
Wow that's awesome! Can't wait to see your completed costume! I'm going to a screening next Thursday too. Contemplating whether to wear Dany since I just got a new wig for her or to wear my Cersei minus all the dress's details. Hmmm.

I'm going to the screening in Chicago! Where is yours at? Holy crap. We're going to the same one! We'll have to get pictures!

chiigusa
03-15-2013, 08:21 PM
Holy crap. We're going to the same one! We'll have to get pictures!

Oh wow, awesome, definitely!! I'll for sure dress up then! :D

Nicoletta
03-17-2013, 09:15 PM
My husband and I are working on Cersei and Robert, for a con in August. I was thinking about it for awhile, but then Cercei herself, Lena Heady, was announced as a guest. I have no choice now! lol

dagmarus
03-18-2013, 09:55 AM
If Sean Bean EVER comes to a con, I will lose my shit completely.

Quick and dirty run before Thursday. LOTS to improve upon, but it's looking good, considering it's all existing costume stuff under the armor.
http://photo.cosplay.com/20139/3362585.jpg

StuckOnAsgard
03-18-2013, 10:50 AM
Finally decided to dive into the GOT cosplaying and wanna do an older Arya. I just finished my cloak. Used a coyote pelt instead of wolf because it was cheaper. I don't have the clasp done but I will be uploading pics soon.

Also Dagmarus...Your Ned is AMAZING! I absolutely love it!

dagmarus
03-18-2013, 11:11 AM
Thank you!

Identity-Crisis
03-18-2013, 10:28 PM
Wow, dagmarus that's amazing.

Where did you get the brigandine?

dagmarus
03-18-2013, 11:26 PM
I'm trying to remember the guy's name. He's also making the Khal armor. He had ONE replica made and I happened to be his same size. It really is outstanding. It's got a pretty decent weight to it, too. I love that thing.

StuckOnAsgard
03-18-2013, 11:28 PM
My Winterfell Cloak so far everyone:

http://i47.tinypic.com/ml1sep.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/21bog2g.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/2d92y60.jpg

Gonna start working on a Lady Catelyn costume cause I feel like she's the only one I could do. I wanna do a younger Catelyn so any ideas would be awesome. But thoughts on the cloak everyone?

dagmarus
03-18-2013, 11:47 PM
Niiiiiiiiiice! One of these days I want to make a Winterfell Cloak.

Also, Identity, I found him. http://www.mpfilmcraft.com/mpfilmcraft/stark.html

Identity-Crisis
03-19-2013, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the link (:

His work is impressive. I'd love something like that if only it weren't so expensive.
I think I'll just settle on a Winterfell cloak for now. heh

and speaking of Winterfell cloaks.
Yours is coming alone great StuckOnAsgard

dagmarus
03-19-2013, 09:39 PM
There's someone on ebay making the brigandine much cheaper. mistresshoundstooth or something like that. She's selling the entire costume, but she's very flexible in commissioning just one part of it.

PSY-chan
03-19-2013, 09:59 PM
I'm loving the cosplays everyone!

@dagmarus: Your Ned is looking great so far! That brigadine is a lucky find/buy. And the Hand pin looks like a replica, too.
@Stuck: Your cloak looks comfy! Great job! I have no advice for young Catelyn, however. Although, you could incorporate the Tully colors, or fish scales, or something...?

Hoping to start work on my own ASOIAF cosplay later in the year at the earliest. The wig will probably be the first thing I do.

Can't wait to see more pretty costumes this season. Hoping someone cosplays as the Queen of Thorns, because--Dame Diana Rigg :)

siyrean
03-20-2013, 07:26 AM
Gonna start working on a Lady Catelyn costume cause I feel like she's the only one I could do. I wanna do a younger Catelyn so any ideas would be awesome. But thoughts on the cloak everyone?

Book Catelyn's only 34 so just say you're being true to canon.

dagmarus
03-20-2013, 05:20 PM
@dagmarus: Your Ned is looking great so far! That brigadine is a lucky find/buy. And the Hand pin looks like a replica, too.
Thanks! I had to go bigger with that thing. The official one is SO small. But I will say, they looked awesome on the groomsmen at my wedding.

http://photo.cosplay.com/20139/3363606.jpg

PSY-chan
03-20-2013, 07:20 PM
Aw, nice! Was this celebration recent?

dagmarus
03-20-2013, 07:48 PM
Yup! October 27th. My bridal party came in to the theme from the show, the wife and I came in to the throne room theme from the end of Star Wars escorted by Vader and two Stormtroopers, and we cut the cake with Ice.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b51/dustagorn/526780_10100464927503854_417519007_n_zpsbf83d373.j pg

StuckOnAsgard
03-20-2013, 08:41 PM
Thats awesome Dagmarus.

PSY-chan
03-20-2013, 08:49 PM
Nice!

Ronnichu
03-21-2013, 03:26 AM
Hellooo.

I love seeing all of the GoT cosplays.

That is an awesome Ned cosplay, Dagmarus.

I'm currently working on Cersei's Blackwater dress. Or at least I'm getting things together for it. I'm very excited though, because from the moment I saw the episode, I wanted that outfit. :D

Identity-Crisis
03-21-2013, 07:10 PM
Congratz
That looks like an amazing ceremony Dagmarus.

PSY-chan
03-21-2013, 07:46 PM
@Ronnichu: Oooohhh, I loved that costume! Although, I don't envy you having to make a breastplate ;)

dagmarus
03-21-2013, 09:41 PM
That. Was. SO MUCH FUN! The premiere was fantastic. I lost my hand of the king pin, but...eh. Had way too good a time to care. I can't wait for the rest of this season. Chiigusa rocked her Cersei, I have to say. Great to meet you, can't wait for c2e2.

PSY-chan
03-21-2013, 09:53 PM
You lucky bastard! That's too bad about the pin. Can it be easily replaced?

Oh well, I get to watch the show with my best friend and her family when it premieres. I wonder if they've read "Storm of Swords" yet ;)

dagmarus
03-21-2013, 10:26 PM
Yeah, it shouldn't be a problem, just sucks, but what are you gonna do, y'know?

chiigusa
03-22-2013, 02:23 PM
That. Was. SO MUCH FUN! The premiere was fantastic. I lost my hand of the king pin, but...eh. Had way too good a time to care. I can't wait for the rest of this season. Chiigusa rocked her Cersei, I have to say. Great to meet you, can't wait for c2e2.

Aww, thanks so much! It was great to meet and hang out! I look forward to many more silly photos at C2E2!! And my Cersei is not even close to completion, so I'm glad you liked it! And don't worry, my friend is DEFINITELY making Shae. ;)

dagmarus
03-22-2013, 02:24 PM
Awesome! She's gonna own that character!

Identity-Crisis
03-22-2013, 11:25 PM
You're all making such epic progress.
It makes me wish I had something to show off.

Mykaios
04-01-2013, 04:55 PM
If anyone has pictures from the exhibit, please share <3

detenten
04-02-2013, 04:04 PM
If anyone has pictures from the exhibit, please share <3

Someone in this facebook group took pictures of the exhibit. THEY ARE GREAT!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/143491629077875/

hellorosenberg
04-02-2013, 08:46 PM
me, I'm a Sansa cosplayer. Sansa doesn't get enough love for some obvious reasons but she's grown on me. I was supposed to go to the exhibit but basically had to drop it from my plans due to an exam but I cannot wait to cosplay her elsewhere

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3368734/

k_peek_2000
04-03-2013, 06:31 PM
I'm so glad I found this. Just started workin on a Night's Watch costume. I am thinking of cosplaying as Sam or doing my own OC this summer. Any advice?

DaniiChan
04-04-2013, 12:06 AM
I took a TON of very detailed shots, and uploaded them to Flickr and hit my bandwidth already.... >_< *sigh* So as soon as that gets reset I will upload the rest and post them here :)

I got a pic on the Iron Throne though in costume, which was pretty cool. I've been waiting two years for the chance! lol

http://24.media.tumblr.com/75e2512cf2e7dd68fda65c500f4b5e97/tumblr_mknwu9X6XH1r2jn2jo1_500.jpg

(stupid red-eye corrector made my eyes look black though....)

k_peek_2000
04-04-2013, 12:20 AM
I hope the Iron Throne makes it back to Cali. I'm really glad I found this site! I'm workin on a Samwell costume for SDCC, hopefully I can find a Jon Snow to follow around at the convention haha.

StuckOnAsgard
04-04-2013, 12:39 PM
Still in the planning stages of my Catelyn costume. I'm going to be doing a younger version of her.

hellorosenberg
04-04-2013, 02:45 PM
I'm so glad I found this. Just started workin on a Night's Watch costume. I am thinking of cosplaying as Sam or doing my own OC this summer. Any advice?

I LOVE SAM!!!! I don't really have any advice because you are one of the first I've seen who wants to cosplay him but I can't wait to see the results!!!

Roseathorn
04-04-2013, 09:51 PM
I'm working on making a Shae cosplay, the pink one she wears in Kings Landing. What kind of cloth do you think it's made of? It doesn't look shinning enough for silk. Maybe it's just a thin cotton, but cotton isn't usually that drapable. Any thoughts?

Mykaios
04-08-2013, 10:20 PM
I’ve been going through whatever content I can find and taking screenshots for season 3 Dany cosplay references for myself. Feel free to use them for yourself too, but I’d appreciate the credit. Also uploaded onto the fb group.

http://mykaios.tumblr.com/post/47511840796/daenerys-targaryen-season-3-screen-shots

EtaiYazi
04-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Hello! I've been lurking watching everyone else's amazing progress for so long now, that I got bitten by the bug and had to try for myself. I started my Ygritte costume this weekend just gone, it's my first proper foray into hand sewing from scratch, and I think I've probably stabbed myself enough times to prove that stitching those coats may actually be some kind of wildling torture! It's not brilliant, but it's a WIP!

http://crowwrangler.tumblr.com/post/47539759112/adventures-in-game-of-thrones-cosplaying-this-is

k_peek_2000
04-11-2013, 01:14 PM
I LOVE SAM!!!! I don't really have any advice because you are one of the first I've seen who wants to cosplay him but I can't wait to see the results!!!

Because i'm awesome!!! I'm hoping to have it done by SDCC this year to debut it. (I know it's going to be brutal in the July sun, but worth it imho.

Hello! I've been lurking watching everyone else's amazing progress for so long now, that I got bitten by the bug and had to try for myself. I started my Ygritte costume this weekend just gone, it's my first proper foray into hand sewing from scratch, and I think I've probably stabbed myself enough times to prove that stitching those coats may actually be some kind of wildling torture! It's not brilliant, but it's a WIP!

http://crowwrangler.tumblr.com/post/47539759112/adventures-in-game-of-thrones-cosplaying-this-is

Perfect! The weathering is spot on.

Speaking of SDCC, is anybody else going to be GoT Cos'ing there? I think it would be cool to plan a meet up for a group photo or something.

k_peek_2000
04-11-2013, 11:32 PM
Oops, Double Post.

siyrean
04-13-2013, 03:52 AM
You know what sucks? Running out of red thread at 4:30 am while working on a Cercei Lannister cosplay. :waaaah:

Curucar
04-13-2013, 08:25 PM
I'm trying to figure out how to make the undershirt that a few of the Starks wear, but have no idea how to even start. There's so much fabric around the neck, but it's not bulky at all underneath the rest of the clothes.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/c60afe7cf5905b0950e354c97bc944f8/tumblr_ml7w65pYGp1r62pi1o1_400.png

dagmarus
04-14-2013, 07:08 PM
I hate that thing. On Eddard, it looks like a woman's blouse. Like they took a piece of elastic and bunched the neckline around it. For mine, to make it tolerable in heat, I'm just making a sort of dickie. Once I get the gambeson done, the costume should be ready to rock.

Mangochutney
04-15-2013, 11:08 AM
That thing is almost certainly based on a partlet, which is to say yeah, it's a dickie. It's probably nothing more than a rectangle of fabric gathered on a drawstring or ribbon around the neck and pinned, tied, or something similar under the arms to keep it in place under the outer garments. The gap is usually in the front but I think Catelyn Stark's is in the back most of the time.

(Been working on one myself, good luck with yours.)

EDIT: Also dagmarus, you're going to make a rad Eddard. Once you're done, can you mail me your head so I can do this shit up right?

plaidskoogrl
04-15-2013, 01:07 PM
Hello, first time cosplayer going as Daenerys! Just ordered my wig and I can't wait to get started on my costume (well kinda...I can't sew much so we'll see how it goes lol). I figured one of her Dothraki outfits would be best since they are supposed to look kind of raggedy haha.

chiigusa
04-15-2013, 01:11 PM
I finished up my Cersei costume over the weekend! I'll share photos once I wear it at C2E2--complete with armor. :)

But it turned out well and despite not having any embroidery skills, I think my Lannister lion panels on the skirt of the dress turned out very well simply by doing embroidery painting. I can't wait to wear it!

Sayura01
04-16-2013, 09:29 AM
Does anyone know of a a good model dragon kit for Daenerys dragons in Qarth?

Thanks!

siyrean
04-19-2013, 11:28 PM
What kind of shoes would Cercei wear?

chiigusa
04-19-2013, 11:49 PM
What kind of shoes would Cercei wear?

I bought some red flats with gold capped toes to wear with mine. Cersei's gown goes to the floor and generally covers her shoes, as does mine. But I assume she would wear a shoe the same color as her dress that is closed-toe with a slight heel.

Kelley
04-22-2013, 04:36 AM
Poking through this thread and looking at all the awesome costumes !

I'm trying to pick a character / costume from Game of Thrones right now and I'm not getting very far. I This is the first time I've ever really had to compromise on feeling like I don't really resemble any of the characters (yes, I know I've been spoiled. I'm just having a serious case of first world problems right now).

I also have to decide on a budget as that will help narrow things down too.

Sorry for this post. I have to talk at someone or something about this. It's like indigestion.

Ettoyou
04-23-2013, 01:27 AM
I'd say go with the 'natural' purple one ... no one has purple eyes, so I feel like even if its subtle, it'll still be glaringly obvious

technically purple can be a "natural" eye color. It is in fact a genetic mutation of some sort. Elizabeth Taylor did in fact have lavender colored eyes.:)

Ettoyou
04-23-2013, 01:46 AM
Hey everyone, newbie here. So I found a Daenerys costume that I want REALLY badly but I can't sew worth a damn. It's her costume that was in last nights episode while she was in Slavers Bay. Her blue dress with the pants and the cape. I don't know what fabrics they used and even if i were to attempt to make it, it would turn out crappy and last maybe a day. Any help with patterns and whatnot would be much appreciated!!!!!

dagmarus
04-23-2013, 03:58 PM
I still need to make that weird bunchy undershirt before Friday at c2e2. The next step is to talk to my mother-in-law who is AMAZING at quilting to help me make that gambeson. It's just WAY beyond my skill level. Then, I'll be done with Ned...until I decide I want to make the cloak...which, realistically will be immediately.

chiigusa
04-23-2013, 04:00 PM
Good luck, man! You can doooo it! My Cersei is all done, Ali's Shae is done (she posted a preview on facebook if you saw..), and my friend's Margaery is all done. Another one of my friends has a secret GoT costume, so I am all shifty-eyed..lol. Anyway, I can't wait for a snark-off with you!

dagmarus
04-23-2013, 04:19 PM
I KNEW she'd make a great Shae. Can't wait for this weekend!

ThornQueen
04-23-2013, 07:53 PM
Ooooh, why hello lovelies. Decided to wander in here, since I hope to make either an Arya or Dany costume in the semi-near future... Once I actually decide between them. I'm also in the boat of not particularly resembling anyone. >_<

Tovwig
04-24-2013, 02:56 AM
I've just joined so my apologies if this is not the place, but I'm hoping to make a Margaery costume with her dresses from the current season. I don't know how to make a pattern, although I can sew once I have one. I'm wondering if anybody would be willing to help me make a pattern?

Dress:
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee368/tovwig/got0302-1825.jpg
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee368/tovwig/got0302-1803.jpg
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee368/tovwig/got0302-0523.jpg

Kelley
04-24-2013, 03:50 AM
I'm between Jon Snow and Jamie Lannister right now. I'm thinking I might have to bump this to next year because I'm not willing to compromise on materials and I've already spent $300 on my other costume. Jon's cloak is what makes it and I was in the market for dead animals once and remember how much they cost, and I'm pretty sure a knee-length leather jacket would still take two full hides for me.

If I can find a cheap dead animal (or maybe one I already have around would work, I have a coat with some dead raccoons all over it that I've been meaning to do something with or get rid of), I could do this one, but that cloak still looks like at least four yards of wool, probably more like 6-8.

I love the King's Guard armor in the show on its own, but I'm making pauldrons alone right now and would want to see how that goes first before committing to all that.

I also considered Joffrey for the lulz and because I could make this (http://www8.gmanews.tv/webpics/v3/2012/04/Game%20of%20Thrones_Joffrey.jpg) fairly easily , but that fabric. I know they make fabric just for the show and my ability to compromise is seriously underdeveloped and I should really work on that.

Not fair that my friends picked the two of the few costumes that can be reasonably accomplished with cheaper materials. *shakefist* They'd be doing Daenerys and Drogo (in the case of the latter, just fewer materials in general and I feel like he could get away with pleather for the pants if he had to since they're not the focus of the costume). I'll be helping them so if they do theirs this year I'll post pictures of them at least. :D

Edit: Decided on Jon Snow because I remember that I live in a place where it's almost May and we just got sleet again. So by the time I finish this I'm sure I'll be able to go outside and make snow angels and get some pictures featuring our tragic weather.

dagmarus
04-24-2013, 06:58 PM
Remember, if you're doing Joffrey...NO FLOWERS! Dude HATES him some flowers.

(now I want to take a picture of a Joff costumer stomping angrily on flowers)

Kelley
04-24-2013, 08:52 PM
It would be so much fun, I'd really gotten into the idea after friends had suggested it - but the fabric is doing a great job of not being found. I found something I'd be willing to compromise on at my usual place, but they only had 1.5 yards left and I figured I'd need more like 4-5 yards (and it's on clearance, so it's probably never going to be seen again). I have some ideas as to taking a suitable velvet, doing burn-outs, and painting the exposed backing, but having already committed to making chainmail for a different costume this summer, I don't quite have the time.

I've found a LOT of black wool on sale, though, so I'm going to go crazy with swatches and hopefully they label them when they send them to me and hopefully at least a few of them aren't crap. It would cut the fabric cost in half, that would be pretty great.

My mom is the opposite of my anal-retentive crazy (I don't really know how, she's the one that freeze-framed movies to make our Halloween costumes when we were kids) and wants to make an Arya costume. I see either wolf plushies or a lot of squinting people asking "who are you supposed to be ?" in our future. :P

siyrean
04-25-2013, 02:49 AM
leaving for the Ice and Fire con tomorrow. My dress isn't quite done but I hope to finish it before I go. ><

Creative Genius
04-25-2013, 04:33 PM
i just bought my wig for Daenerys...and now im trying to figure out how to make her outfit.
I plan on doing her dothraki outfit with the very coarse woven top. Can anyone tell me what kid of fabric i should use for her shirt and that piece on her skirt? im thinking the coarsest fabric is burlap...but that doesnt even seem to have enough thick weaving that it should have.
the other fabric would be easy, a suede or something leathery without actually being thick heavy leather.

GlassCannon
04-25-2013, 04:48 PM
I looked for *months* for fabric for the top when I made my Dany cosplay (http://www.cosplay.com/costume/395475/) -- in fact, it was the reason I started this thread! -- and found absolutely nothing that was even close. I ended up knitting the fabric from scratch, then weaving bits of string and yarn through the knitting to get the look I wanted (there are pics of it in-progress in my profile, if you're curious). In the year and a half since then, higher-rez pictures of that top have been released, which to me make it look like the top is woven from a combination of thin leather strips and horse hair, which makes sense given the Dothraki society. But in the years since I started looking, I've never seen any commercial fabric of any type that would be a reasonable match. I think a lot of people end up using burlap, at least as a base, but since the fabric for the top is one area where all Daenerys cosplayers struggle, it can also be a chance to do something creative that no one else has thought of yet and stand out from the pack.

Creative Genius
04-25-2013, 04:56 PM
it looks almost....kind of like a rug weaving >_> i wonder if there are any small brownish rugs i can destroy. I can not knit or weave anything for the life of me. sewing...easy...kniting....it never works >_>
i was discussing it with my sister and she said i could braid a lot of leather strips and sew them all onto a base..but i dont know how that would end of working

thanks for your help though! X3

TehKittah94
04-25-2013, 08:42 PM
I'm going to be doing "unburnt" dany for NC Animazement and i was just wondering if any of you guys knew of a good way to get the dragons to "cling" to you? my current plan is to mold an armature around me and then use paper clay to sculpt the little guys. Does anyone know of a better way of doing this?

TehKittah94
04-25-2013, 08:43 PM
btw all of your cosplays look amazing! so jealous :)

Kelley
04-26-2013, 04:27 AM
@siyrean, have fun. :D

I feel like for a lot of these costumes the goal is that it "reads" well, instead of necessarily being exact.

@GlassCannon, what you've done looks really amazing. It's the kind of thing where even if it's not exactly the same, I bet people come up to you and say it looks perfect. :D

The creativity, effort, and care put into the costumes on the show is beyond ridiculous. I really love that and one of the reasons I want to try my hand at doing a passable costume from it. :)

The artistry on even these "raggedy" pieces is amazing check out this picture : http://www.westeros.org/GoT/Graphics/Gallery/GameOfThrones_Daenerys_02.png

On the "skirt" detail piece you can see that at the top there's a hunk of leather that's been cut into lace-size cords and has had the brown material woven into it horizontally (not sure if the white horizontal parts are just those turning or not - makes sense that the top was more carefully woven to avoid that).

If the stuff on the top that's dark brown is the consistency of leather lacing, the white being something more like strips of buckskin which would account for it being so tight and flat (in comparison to if you tried to weave two things as thick as the brown seems to be) - it looks like something like buckskin used on the bottom waistband and cut/woven part, too (buckskin is really thin and springy). You can even see hand-work done on the edges so that it doesn't come apart - it looks like the brown is run back and forth multiple times and tied-off on the side when it runs out.

There's a similar blue-ish top that looks woolier, but with the same white strips going vertically (and the stripes look like they're done decoratively over the top with flatly-arranged (could even be woven strips) strands of something like thread).

If you wanted to, I think weaving something like that is obtainable even if it's really way more than you have to do to get people to immediately recognise it. Though I'd sure "invisibly" line that thing with some fabric that wouldn't be bumpy and rough. I have a jacket with horse hair canvas (that I didn't make) and it's ungodly poke-y (the jacket is like over 100 years old so it has an excuse for canvas wearing through enough to become a weapon), it's like little spikes needling at you. Just saying so that if anyone tries it, fair warning. It also warps a ridiculous amount when wet (I've used it in jackets that I've made), which is great to shape stuff, but not so much if you want to clean it.

I wouldn't go with braiding the whole top, I think it would end up really bulky, although it could work for the neck-band part (hers looks like a bunch of laces held together with wraps around them and then braided, but I didn't really see a picture without her hair in the way and we only have the show on Blu Ray and I don't have a player on this computer :P).

@TehKittah94, I responded in your Prop forum thread, I think. :D

plaidskoogrl
04-27-2013, 05:19 PM
I'm working on the same outfit. I thought about using burlap but the ones at Joanne's Fabrics smelled horrible and were very...I don't know how else to explain it since I don't know anything about clothing terms but it was...hairy? I ended up with a some sort of material that is supposed to be for upholstery but it was the closest to the top I could find. I don't have it on me but next time I'm at my friend's working on it I'll post a picture. I also spent way more than I wanted to buying leather and skins from a local shop in town but oh well, hopefully it'll look really awesome once it's put together!

plaidskoogrl
04-27-2013, 05:22 PM
Question also for bustier ladies who have done Daenerys' Dothraki outfit...did you just wear a strapless bra or did you sew cups on or went au naturel?

Kelley
04-29-2013, 04:58 AM
Yeah, their burlap is jute - so it's got really itchy, scratchy fibres. Burlap is basically a really, really cheap utilitarian fabric that's used for stuff like literally potato sacks - so it's not something you want against your skin !

eBay is a great source for leather and lots of things (the GoT TV costume designer has even used it for things on the show!)! You might have gotten a better deal in person, though, sometimes it works that way. :D

As for bra or not, I'd at least wear pasties or something in case someone is rude and tries to take a compromising picture or if something happens to the top and it pops open or something. Otherwise, I would build in or wear as much support as you think will make you comfortable. Cosplaying doesn't need to be something you sacrifice comfort for if you don't want to - and it's definitely possible to hide a strapless or even "halter" style bra under that top, so no need to suffer and win-win!

--
I've switched plans and think I'll do a Ser Loras costume instead. I've been wanting to make more armor for a while and need to order some craft foam/Wonderflex/Worbla for my other costume this summer, anyway. I'll fake the chainmail for at least this year, I already have to make some for that other costume and I'd still like fingers and sanity in the fall (there's a joke here, I can smell it).

chiigusa
04-29-2013, 11:15 AM
Question also for bustier ladies who have done Daenerys' Dothraki outfit...did you just wear a strapless bra or did you sew cups on or went au naturel?

I wore a strapless bra with mine since my fabric was pretty scratchy. I didn't have any problems with it being seen.

Reily96
05-03-2013, 10:18 PM
Yooooooo... Hullo, there. I, myself, am not a GoT cosplayer, though I do adore them costumes. And while I myself am not cosplaying from it, a friend of mine is and I'll be making it for her.

She wants to do a Melisandre outfit - any recommendations for fabric and patterns?

Kelley
05-04-2013, 02:41 AM
I honestly like these costumes more than the Lord of the Rings ones, probably because these ones take more risks even if they sometimes fail because of it (and they have somewhat of an advantage in being able to present diversity).

This? (http://www.wallpaperspictures.net/image/melisandre-of-asshai-wallpaper-for-2560x1600-widescreen-2889-12.jpg) Or from the books ?

My first order of business if from the TV Series would be going nuts and taking a lot of screen-shots from every angle possible to get the best idea of what's going on. I think she has a few similar dresses although I've never paid particular attention to her costumes since I'm not working on one of them - I'd pick which one and focus on that.

This one (http://images.wikia.com/gameofthrones/images/8/84/Melisandre01.jpg) is a bit different from the one above although they're similar.

It looks fairly similar to the silhouette of the dresses that other women on the show wear - fitted bodice and sleeves that bell at the elbow and a fairly full skirt - looks like the fullness is concentrated in the back.

Before I go crazy with writing I'll just confirm with you which costume you're interested in. :)

Edit :

I'm so excited, I think my mom just agreed to do a Lady Stoneheart (if you don't know don't look that up because spoilers for things that haven't happened in the TV series yet) costume on the grounds that I would do a Jon Snow costume because I guess she loves him.

I'm still freaking out and waving my arms going "IT WOULD BE SO COOL".

I don't want her to do something she doesn't want to, though so if she isn't as excited as I am I'll help her with one of Daenerys' costumes instead. :P

Reily96
05-04-2013, 03:52 PM
That second one is the exact one she looking for - I'm pretty positive when I compare it to the one she sent me on my phone. I've made something similar, but the pattern I have isn't quite right for that (the sleeves and the gathers) and I don't trust myself to make my own patterns (geometry stupid, right here). ^^;

Kelley
05-04-2013, 07:33 PM
I feel like I've seen patterns similar to our in books at Jo Ann's in fantasy or LOTR type patterns.

II could sketch it out for you if that would be enough. It's pretty simple - the hardest part would be the bodice, but that is not to bad (modify a body block - I can linkup to instructions for that) !

Not sure about the fabric for that one, I'd have to get some better lit screen shots. If it's like the first one, it looks like some kind of crinkle silk (you can make it yourself pretty cheaply - cheap light silk plus water! ) over probably a light wool base (or heavier silk).

Identity-Crisis
05-04-2013, 09:43 PM
I need to stop deciding to cosplay every character.

dagmarus
05-04-2013, 11:02 PM
It does suit your name.

ChibiRinoa
05-05-2013, 01:51 PM
If anyone is looking to make screen-accurate fabric for the current blue outfit Dany is wearing check out Nuno Felting. http://pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=nuno%20felted I saw a piece today at a craft fair and the technique looks exactly like the hi res images I've seen of Dany's blue top. In the show it looks like they may have only felted the top half of her outfit.

Kelley
05-06-2013, 03:26 AM
Do you mean this costume (http://dcs-193-111-38-244.atmcdn.pl/scale/o2/tvn/web-content/m/p1/i/50905d7b2216bfeccb5b41016357176b/0aa81e42-9f96-11e2-aed8-0025b511226e.jpg?type=1&quality=90&srcmode=4&srcx=0/1&srcy=0/1&srcw=972&srch=2000&dstw=972&dsth=2000) ?

Another view. (http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/34100000/3x01-Valar-Dohaeris-game-of-thrones-34117947-1920-1080.jpg)

If so, while I see the similarities, I would still put my money on arrow smocking and embroidery. The embroidery being what is the texture that's a slightly different colour from the fabric.

Arrow smocking. (http://crafterholic.blogspot.com/2011/02/arrow-trellis-smocking.html)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_MxQWRWfklyE/TUboO9y7YlI/AAAAAAAADqY/HelCYTkX3_Q/s1600/Arrow%2Bsmocking.jpg

I have doubts that the felting could produce results that uniform and controlled, and although there's creative license since it's fantasy I have doubts that a costume designer who is so into historical production methods and stuff would use a technique pioneered in the 1990s.

Please don't take that as me being a rain-cloud ! Just group-think - when we think together and each examine things we can accomplish more !

detenten
05-06-2013, 09:21 AM
OMG, thank you for sharing the arrow smocking...!!! I was going to resort to sewing braids onto my dress but that tutorial is exactly what I needed. :love:

grimdaddy
05-08-2013, 07:09 PM
Love the GOT costumes on here! As an avid book reader and show watcher of the series these costumes are amazing. Does anyone have any suggestions on who to use for commission work? I really want to do a screen accurate Arya Stark season 3 outfit. I bought a Needle sword from that Valyrian Steel website and really want to cosplay her now. From a looks standpoint, I could probably pull off a pretty decent Bran Stark, but that doesn't sound as fun.