PDA

View Full Version : weapons policy?

dressdragn
11-20-2003, 04:35 PM
any one know what its going to be? I didn't bring any props last year so I don't rember. How strictly enforced was it? will I be able to get an exemption for the cosplay only?

~Anna

minako chan
11-20-2003, 10:37 PM
*grumbles* Don't bring anything that remotely resembles a gun, and unless its made of foam, don't bring it. Yeah, I had a problem with the staff last year, can't you tell?

T4uRu$k4tt
11-21-2003, 02:12 AM
i know a girl who almost wasn't allowed to bring her lacross stick in...-_-;;
it was a battle athletes cosplay!! pfft!

not sure if they'll be a little more relaxed this year, maybe between being so close to important places, or maybe because of jittery terrorism fearing people, or maybe because of power-tripping staffers...or maybe a combination? :::shrug:::

i think i've read somewhere that they let you have props for cosplay only, if you mean what i assume you mean (like for judging right?) but not sure about that.

i have a...well...it's a big long pole...not sure what'll happen with that. if they're okay with it then good, if not then, well, i dunno...anyone had experience with a big long pole last year? lol...although, after the lacross stick thing, my hopes are not particularly high...only hopeful!!

~katt

Daala
11-21-2003, 10:11 AM
eh?! I wonder what they would say to long staffs and stuff. For my Seung mina I've got 2.

dressdragn
11-21-2003, 11:37 AM
Heres the thing, I'm taking welding and metal fabrication so I can make a Fireseal (large broad Sol sword from guilty gear) out of metal, carying it around the convention is not a concern, b/c being made out of solid steal I'll barely be able to lift it. However I would like to take it to costume juding.

Dose anyone here work at katsucon? or know if I'll be able to bring for cosplay juding only?

Thanks,

~Anna

Kamui32
11-23-2003, 03:53 PM
Well i'm going as Inuyasha and perhaps kenshin if i get i done. I need to make the sword for inuyasha, i was planning to make a nice big one but i may just make an average size oneto avoid problems with katsucon staff and stuff, *sigh* rules suck! >.< well ok some don't

T4uRu$k4tt
11-25-2003, 11:34 AM
Daala~ yup, i've got the long staff problem too. guess we'll just have to hope for the best!

dressdragn~ that sounds awsome, maybe you should consider putting it in the art room as 3d art instead of trying to carry it to costume judging? just a suggestion :)

~katt

Studmaster
11-25-2003, 11:54 AM
There was giant controversary last year at Katsucon about weapons, and how they were complete weapon nazis. (They didn't allow anything they thought could cause harm to another person it seems, and Katsucon has always been strict on weapons for as long as I can remember.) The reasons behind this were that the hotel wasn't allowing them for Katsucon, and that at Katsucon 8, they got into loads of trouble when the attendees of a con damaged hotel property. (Getting them kicked out of the city of Baltimore effectively) To be honest, there was talk that 9 wasn't going to happen, and they really felt the need to be on their best behavior.

The weapon policy hasn't been laid out for 10, but unless things drastically change....Expect more of the same.

Lady Ava
11-25-2003, 11:56 AM
I hope its not as bad as I heard last year was. I really hope not. I wanna bring my gunblade ;_;

dressdragn
11-25-2003, 12:25 PM
Personaly I'm going to make 2 fireseals, one out of foam and other light matirals and one out of stainless steal, They will be as close to the orginal as the mediums alow (I'm sure the metal one will be closer) but that way I have one to walk around in the halls with and one for costume judgeing and cosplay. When I go to the judging I'll proably keep the metal one wraped in cloth or in a bag or something out of site. I guess the reast of the con it'll mostly stay in my hotel room or on display in the artist alley.

It's too bad realy.

~Anna

Mako-san
11-25-2003, 07:10 PM
katsucon just updated their website. with all the details of weapons and such, if you still have questions email them.
Last year Guns was a no no even thought my crappy gun was obivously fake. They even had problems with my staff for Sakuyamon, they eventually allowed it for the cosplay but that was it. So I suggest read the rules first then email them before bringing big props and such only for it to stay in your room the entire weekend.

Chosuke
11-26-2003, 08:22 AM
Crap..so if I have a pair of realistically made handguns for Billy out of foam would they be allowed?

Or do they have to be cheesey-ghettoness?

T4uRu$k4tt
11-26-2003, 10:15 PM
gut instint? cheesy-ghettoness. heh.

(btw, thanks for the info Studmaster)

but really i would imagine foam would be okay, since it says they are "encouring" us to use "cardboard/plastic/rubber/styrofoam"
don't know weather they'll peace bond my pole or not let me have it yet, i might just email out of curiosity (i'll still finish and bring it, just not to the con itself, so i can have it for pictures) but i will laugh if they ask to peace bond my tonfa blades, since their base is paper towel rolls, heehee...

~katt

ShatteredSunset
11-26-2003, 10:34 PM
Hmm. Well, I dunno if they'd want to peacebond my staff (BT from .hack) or my cross (Alexiel from AS) But uh, I guess I'll go by the third floor or something anyway. It'd suck to lug it there and not be able to carry it around though, since I'm not staying at the hotel itself. And I think I'll traumatize enough subway goers with my costumes as it is ^_^'

lunasreincarnat
11-27-2003, 02:39 AM
ugh i usally plan costumes that have no props casue katsucon is really strict -.- i got in trouble to a broom!!! a stinking crappy plastic walmart brand broom!!! sigh... this one guy have a huge cardboard gunblade and they made him put it back in his hotel room.

Raine
11-28-2003, 10:43 PM
Oh dear. o___o;;; I had no idea about the weapons policy being strict. Er, I guess wooden-carved Gunner Paine guns would be a no-no then. @___@;;;;

Neko Cathy
11-29-2003, 02:20 PM
eh?! I wonder what they would say to long staffs and stuff. For my Seung mina I've got 2.

Pull off what Gandalf did in Two Towers... "Can an old man have his walking stick?" I'm not saying you're old... but it could work :p

Katsucon has the most ANALEST staff I had to deal w/ out of AUSA, Otakon and Katsu. They said no to guns when one of my friends cosplyed Kaze from FFU and they BITCHED about the mascot cosplayers having the mascot head covering their face... apparently it's some Virgina Law?? :confused: They bitched when my best friend cosplayed the famous Pimp Moogle!!! Oh yea... they tried to said no to me bringing in my purse while i was wearing my Yuni costume, w/ no pockets. wallet, hotel keycard and ID? Yea... set it down on the table while looking through something to have it snatched by an Otaku Ninja Bitch.

The Katsucon staff are a bunch of fucking retards and lack common sense. I wanna see them bitch about my DDR group's DDR machine prop (not a real DDR machine, but it's a fricken huge prop)... they say anything, I'll tell them to suck my white Norwegian American ass :devil:

Stueypark
11-29-2003, 02:51 PM
And then they would probably take your badge.

I'm not sure if it applies in Virginia but some places have laws that state you can't have anything obscuring your face while in a place of buisness. Gas stations especially have problems where people with motorcycle helmets will rob them and there's no way to identify the person.

If you don't like their rules you might want to consider attending different conventions.

Neko Cathy
11-29-2003, 02:55 PM
<<I'm not sure if it applies in Virginia but some places have laws that state you can't have anything obscuring your face while in a place of buisness.>>
For that reason I can understand... but a convention being "a place of business"? Costume goers attend these cons and they are not buiness people (unless you find hookers across the street... hey hey you want me to keep the mask on too?!). :p In fact, the hotel people were real cool w/ the con goers... it was Katsu staff that went psyco bitch on most of the cosplayers.

Stueypark
11-29-2003, 04:32 PM
It's the hotel that is a place of buisness, not the convention (although the dealers room, since they are paying state tax, may count too).

And yes, after the fiasco with the (s-word) last year keeping the hotel booked 2 or 3 days longer, the hotel was very... patient with the con.

ThatYaoiBoy
11-29-2003, 05:34 PM
Nyoooooo I wonder if that means no Nyoi-bou Staff for Goku!! :( And Greg is going to be there too! He's the english voice actor, however I like Hoshi a lot better ^^;; But it is kinda cool they'll have them there. Watch Greg be like:

Greg> Where's his staff? o.o;
Me> ;; The Katsu Staff took it from me...
Greg> o_O; Oh?
Me> -___- Hai.

XD;

Here is the list of the things that WON'T be allowed:
*Bladed or edged weapons
*Live steel of any kind such as knives, swords, axes, martial arts equipment, shurikens, etc.
*Firearms (unless the owner is an authorized law enforcement official)
*Some wooden weapons such as bokken, staffs, etc.
*Liquid dispensing weapons (wtf??) This includes spray bottles (Oh no! I'm going to drench you to death!!) AND aerosol containers, [unless empty, full = pool use only]
*Anything that shoots a projectile (this includes realistic and plastic guns)
*Anything that looks like a weapon in the opinion of the security staff (>_> Uhm.. they're SUPPOSED to look like weapons ~_~ idiots)
*Anything senior staff or Security deems illegal or overly harmful

lunasreincarnat
12-01-2003, 05:25 AM
Pull off what Gandalf did in Two Towers... "Can an old man have his walking stick?" I'm not saying you're old... but it could work :p

Katsucon has the most ANALEST staff I had to deal w/ out of AUSA, Otakon and Katsu. They said no to guns when one of my friends cosplyed Kaze from FFU and they BITCHED about the mascot cosplayers having the mascot head covering their face... apparently it's some Virgina Law?? :confused: They bitched when my best friend cosplayed the famous Pimp Moogle!!! Oh yea... they tried to said no to me bringing in my purse while i was wearing my Yuni costume, w/ no pockets. wallet, hotel keycard and ID? Yea... set it down on the table while looking through something to have it snatched by an Otaku Ninja Bitch.

The Katsucon staff are a bunch of fucking retards and lack common sense. I wanna see them bitch about my DDR group's DDR machine prop (not a real DDR machine, but it's a fricken huge prop)... they say anything, I'll tell them to suck my white Norwegian American ass :devil:

sigh i agree! i cant belive they made me go to con ops to check my broom -.- and my friend stacys french sword.... it was a freaking 1 1/2 foot plastic sword for the halloween store! but i do kinda understand why they wouldnt let my other friend carry around the nintendo gun.

ChichiriFreak
12-01-2003, 10:27 AM
Katsucon has the most ANALEST staff I had to deal w/ out of AUSA, Otakon and Katsu. They said no to guns when one of my friends cosplyed Kaze from FFU and they BITCHED about the mascot cosplayers having the mascot head covering their face... apparently it's some Virgina Law?? They bitched when my best friend cosplayed the famous Pimp Moogle!!! Oh yea... they tried to said no to me bringing in my purse while i was wearing my Yuni costume, w/ no pockets. wallet, hotel keycard and ID? Yea... set it down on the table while looking through something to have it snatched by an Otaku Ninja Bitch..

I had that same problem last year, about My Mascot Costume. Wiht my P-chan head. People were taking pictures of me, and one staff member came to me and told me to take off the head, and they searched my bags!! >_<..i was pissed.

Neko Cathy
12-01-2003, 11:20 AM
People were taking pictures of me, and one staff member came to me and told me to take off the head, and they searched my bags!! >_<..i was pissed.

... They searched your bags after they told you to take off the mascot head? Now that's ridiculous. Like omg, ChichiriFreak is a fricking suicide bomber terrorist, dressed to kill as P Chan :D. They didn't check my bag... with the dealer's room episode I can understand their concern about theives and the high rate of stealing, but I had no pockets or anything to store my wallet and plus, my bag was FULL w/ a video camera so how could I smuggle anything when my bag was FULL?

What also didn't make any sense was when they said no bags into the gamers room. Anime USA and Otakon had their game consoles locked up in cages or boxes so people couldn't steal the controllers, games and the console. They wouldn't even let me bring the camera to video tape my DDR Mentor's compeition.... :miffed:

I'm just hoping that Katsu staff better use some common sense, act polite towards the con attendees (I've gotten ZERO respect from the Katsu staff... they were screaming at me like "YOU CAN'T BRING THAT IN!!! TAKE IT OFF!") and stop this anal crap. Cuz if they act like this crap again like Katsu 9, I'll only stick around for the DDR photoshoot and leave.

lunasreincarnat
12-01-2003, 02:12 PM
i never had any problems with bringing my purse around

T4uRu$k4tt
12-04-2003, 02:13 PM
all this talk of brooms and mascot heads is saddening me...maybe they had someone do some funny stuff in a mask and couldn't tell who it was?

hmm.... at least when i think of it, a con is the only place i would expect to see people walk around and not be able to see their face...it'd be freaky anywhere else~like people with ski masks on in the supermarket or somethin'. however, i find it hard to believe anyone in a mascot costume could really, "outrun" security or anything, heh.

the purse thing was only in the game room, but i know i went through at least half the time with bags or my purse...how could you not? the enterance to it was through the dealers room...and if someone told me to not take my bags in, i just said, "oh, okay, nevermind" and came back later ^^;;
i don't recomend that as a stratagy or anything tho, lol...if they can't figure out a better way to run the gaming room, they'll just have less people there, end of story. (maybe they did it for that purpose, cause wasn't there a line a lot of the time too?) :::shrug:::

i think because it's a hotel it might affect the weapons policy~ it's one thing to accidently trip another con-goer with your gunblade, it's another completely to accidently thwap an innocent bystander who's just trying to get to their hotel room, i don't think they want that liability, lol...

i agree w/ stu-cifer...they got nicer when we were all trapped there last year. (and the hotels made buku money off it too, so there!) maybe they'll remember it fondly???

~katt

Cyn
12-04-2003, 03:09 PM
Well, that kills me going as the Red Headed Unknown for Katsucon...

PretearWink
12-04-2003, 03:46 PM
Stupid weapons policy.

I have to make a lance taller than I am out of foam.

Gotta explain that to airport security somehow.

Damn. -.-

trigunvash
12-31-2003, 04:51 PM
I didn't see anything on the katsucon website that said you can not have your face covered or that your face has to be shown at all times. If someone who works for katsucon can point that out to us on the website that'll be great.

AlikNyankoChan
12-31-2003, 11:06 PM
It was a general issue last year at the convention; there's never been anything on the website. Katsucon staff has too many "issues' >.<

~Alik-Nyanko

Nyoko
01-01-2004, 07:54 PM
Last year they were mess up, if I rember correctly thay said that weapons that were made of soft wood were alowed, yet my friend had a oviously fake gun that was not even painted, plus made of toothpick wood yet they yelled at her and made her put it in the hotel room ~.~ I just hope I can carry around my prop this year...
it really sucks because sometimes its the prop that makes the costume, and them being all anal about it really kills it ~.~ Fun facter -10 points...

Lady_Sephiroth
01-01-2004, 09:55 PM
Here's the deal with Katsu and guns...

The State of Virginia has a law that madantes that is a law enforcement officer sees a person with anything that even remotley LOOKS like a gun, they can shoot first and ask questions later. It's called the sillouette law (And I know I spelled that wrong.) Wood replicas, NES Zappers and Water Pistols are covered. This is why gunner-type cosplayers will have an issue with security. Remember that Crystal City is about a stone's throw from the historical parts of DC, and DC is really edgy in this post-9/11 world.

You're in a hotel that anyone can walk into. Mundanes might not understand, see a gun and call the cops. Who are empowered to shoot at you.

Swords, I've never had a problem with. At Katsu 8 in Baltimore, I carried my wooden Alis sword and they were okay. It's really fake looking, to look 8-bit, so I don't know if that counts tho.

Schu
01-01-2004, 11:12 PM
Here is the list of the things that WON'T be allowed:
*Bladed or edged weapons
*Live steel of any kind such as knives, swords, axes, martial arts equipment, shurikens, etc.
*Firearms (unless the owner is an authorized law enforcement official)
*Some wooden weapons such as bokken, staffs, etc.
*Liquid dispensing weapons (wtf??) This includes spray bottles (Oh no! I'm going to drench you to death!!) AND aerosol containers, [unless empty, full = pool use only]
*Anything that shoots a projectile (this includes realistic and plastic guns)
*Anything that looks like a weapon in the opinion of the security staff (>_> Uhm.. they're SUPPOSED to look like weapons ~_~ idiots)
*Anything senior staff or Security deems illegal or overly harmful
[/Edit]

REAL weapons should not be at a con. Otaku-types have a tendency towards showing off their "skills" and often are very unsafe.

I've seen too many people getting whacked by stupid guys with bokkans.

People like to spray people in the face with stuff (water, silly string, etc). What if someone accidently did that to a non-congoer? Lawsuit waiting to happen.

As for the "looks like a weapon" they are going to get mad at you IF you are attempting to use something or demonsrate it's uses. IF your fake guns look like something is going to get shot out of it at a glance, then it's going to make people nervous. If you have a big red stick with carefully carved details and are simply walking around with it and posing cautiously, you can probably explain that to the staff, if you come off as a competent, safe human being they are going to be nice.

But if you are waving it around, they will take it away from you or ask you to put it up. Don't be stupid :P

trigunvash
01-02-2004, 08:38 PM
Nevermind, its always pointless in arguing because whatever security say's is gonna go their way. Don't even bother trying to explain your situation, they're just gonna tell ya to get rid of it.

However I'd like to point out, civil war re enactors carry around replica weapons and real swords, people especially in VA where there is a history, can sorta put two and two together. If someone were to walk into a hotel seeing people dressed up in costumes, I think they can sorta figure out whats going on. But then again, people are stupid.

Lady_Sephiroth
01-02-2004, 10:02 PM
Anyway I don't LIVE in VA, but they point this law out at opening ceremonies of Katsucon every single year. That's the only reason I know about it.

nachtinis
01-31-2004, 01:19 AM
Well I'm "in the law enforcement field" and as far as the silouhette law goes, it only applys to if you are holding a gun and at least perpendiculat to a police officer, the idea about "being able to shoot first and ask questions later" is a little hasty. They can only shoot if they can reasonably asses that the person with the gun can shoot them. Basically if you are an Officer and you see a guy with his gun out and his back is toward you, you are strictly encouraged not to shoot that person.

But that is beside the point.

I have had no problem with katsu staff and i had plastic Katanas at 9 so...

Cyn
01-31-2004, 01:22 AM
I have had no problem with katsu staff and i had plastic Katanas at 9 so...

Katsucon staff was ok with plastic. Wood they were anal about.

...Katsucon Staff...Wood...Anal...I MADE A CHEESEY FUNNY!! </bad humor>

nachtinis
02-02-2004, 03:46 PM
Check out the ongoing discussion in the prop policy thread!