PDA

View Full Version : Tiny Steampunk

Turtle
07-17-2011, 03:30 PM
I've been thinking about designing a steampunk outfit for my little sister to wear to a convention next spring. She's 7 years old and I think the result will be extremely cute, but I'm having trouble deciding on a design and finding patterns in her size.

She's going to probably want a dress but I also think boy's clothes would be adorable, and maybe something military themed. I like flared shorts a lot, and I'm trying to think of some creative headgear.

So, what do you think? Does anyone have any ideas for a little girl's steampunk outfit, or something to make it look a little militaryish? How about small patterns (size children's 7-8, if they have sizes)?

My ulterior motive for doing this is so she can promote my art sales at the con, by the way.

Ironhill
07-18-2011, 08:06 PM
My first thought is of a paperboy or street kid. Button shirt with knee length pants and suspenders done in neutral colors. She can have a newspaper bag and be handing out flyers about your artwork.

As for patterns, Folkwear Patterns makes some 19th century fronteer patterns for children.

supergeekgirl
07-21-2011, 03:29 PM
My first thought is of a paperboy or street kid. Button shirt with knee length pants and suspenders done in neutral colors. She can have a newspaper bag and be handing out flyers about your artwork.

As for patterns, Folkwear Patterns makes some 19th century fronteer patterns for children.
^This.

I have a friend who did that with her son. It was adorable. She put him in tall boots with poofy pants tucked in.

LadyAri13
09-19-2011, 10:10 AM
the paperboy idea is brilliant. As for patterns there r plenty of fairly easy costume types that u can alter or repurpose.

Ororo Monroe
12-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Look up some of the costumes of the Crimean War and American Civil War. In particular Vivanderes, Canteenieres, and Daughters of the Regiment. Also look into Bloomers. No not the underpants but the reform costume promoted by Ameila Bloomer.