PDA

View Full Version : Last Unicorn cosplayers?

KTDE
11-20-2003, 09:00 PM
I was flipping through old movies at the video store and found a copy of the "Last Unicorn". I remembered watching it when I was little, so rented it and it brought back lots of memories, and now I'm considering doing a Lady Almathea cosplay. ^^ Has anyone else ever cosplayed one of the characters from the movie or am I the only Last Unicorn cosplayer on the board? ^~ *hopes not, because I would really like to see some Last Unicorn cosplays done*

venus2869
11-20-2003, 09:05 PM
I was flipping through old movies at the video store and found a copy of the "Last Unicorn". I remembered watching it when I was little, so rented it and it brought back lots of memories, and now I'm considering doing a Lady Almathea cosplay. ^^ Has anyone else ever cosplayed one of the characters from the movie or am I the only Last Unicorn cosplayer on the board? ^~ *hopes not, because I would really like to see some Last Unicorn cosplays done*

I have heard that Kell on the boards has been planning that cosplay for years!
Check with her if you need help!

KTDE
11-20-2003, 09:14 PM
Oh, cool. ^^ *wishes Kell luck for her cosplay* ^^

Yeah, I have an idea for how to do the outfit. ^^ I'm just pushed for finding really detailed references of Almathea. The screencaps I have from the movie aren't cutting it, so I guess this gives me some artistic license for her outfit. If anyone can provide really detailed images that haven't been put up yet on the Last Unicorn live action movie site, I'd really appreciate it. ^^

*has plans for going nuts with strings beads on the gown when I get around to this cosplay, cause beads rock*

Maryssa
11-20-2003, 09:22 PM
moving thread because this isnt anime.

and Kell already finished her costume, check her gallery.

kelldar
11-20-2003, 09:34 PM
which reminds me I really need to take good pictures of it :)
(thanks for mention guys!)
I've got a few small screenshots that show the top of the dress pretty well; the bottom is pretty basic. Just mail me if you'd like me to send 'em to you :D

Kitten
11-20-2003, 11:32 PM
That's so awesome! I didn't know that was considered anime, but I'd always dreamed of cosplaying her...

Kell, your costume looks so great! ^__^ It makes me want to watch the movie over and over, just like I did when I was a little kid. :D

Eleryth
11-21-2003, 12:41 AM
This thread has perfect timing! I just watched the movie again last night. It's so beautiful, and I love Schmendrick - he's so funny. I've wanted to make a Schmendrick costume for a few months now (ok, maybe 6 months to a year, really), but I don't have anywhere to wear it yet, and I am not sure if anyone would recognize me.

As for Amalthea...I was looking at the dress closely, too..and its got pockets or something on the bottom half. Strips of the darker purple, anyway, and I have no idea what else they would be. Too bad no one I know has any screencaps of anything.

Why not look at the live action images, see if you like those dresses? Although, guaranteed, no one would know who you are yet.

I have also thought about going as the unicorn - wildy abstracted, though, in a white dress and whatnot, but complete with tail and horn and 'hoof' type feet. And the butterfly - because he's so fun and has great wings!

ACXchan
11-21-2003, 03:41 AM
The Last Unicorn always makes me nostalgic. I think I first saw it when I was like six or seven years old, it's been a while man. Eleryth, if you do an abstract unicorn, I'll do an abstract red bull XD I've always thought a red bull costume would be awesome, with sheer red material for the flames and stuff. Schmendrick would be fun too, just because he's a sweetheart ^ ^ The peg-legged cat would be an amusing one @D@

Sweet on the Amalthea costume too, just *cosplaying* Last Unicorn is great XD

Hikaruchan
11-21-2003, 10:17 AM
Besides Kell, have seen one other Amalthea. Heard a couple of people say they were working on Schmendrick but haven't seen a completed one of him.

Railiens
11-21-2003, 11:00 AM
Definitely need more Last Unicorn cosplayers... my girlfriend, Amanda, had plans for Amalthea, and I told her I would be her Schmendrick *L* Wonder what happened to those plans?

Trinity
11-23-2003, 10:23 AM
I've been considering Amalthea for a couple of years now, but for me it's always a matter of finding a wig that'll do the job for me. It needs to be almost silvery in my opinion .. something that sorta feels that it could be translucent.

It's always been one of my favorite movies. Something I just adore.

Eccoglyph
11-24-2003, 01:40 PM
<g> My friends and I had been talking about this very topic after watching The Last Unicorn recently (on Beta!) Hadn't seen it in a long time, and found out it was based on a book which I promptly bought. Very good read - so many plot threads not mentioned in the movie (Prince Lir took on a whole new dimension in the book, and dear Schmendrick's past comes to light.) I'm a Schmendrick fan, like so many others here. But in terms of costuming - the red bull would be SO much fun - just need to find the time. Would need surface fans and a light material so the skin would flap like flames. I gave it a lot of thought after seeing some inspirational costumes at Otakon. Someday...

P.S. Technically, this didn't need to be moved from the anime forum - the movie was a joint American/Japanese effort and the animation was done by Japanese animators - many of them later forming the beloved Studio Ghibli.

Daitenshi
11-25-2003, 07:19 PM
Add me to the wannabe Amalthea list ^^; I've wanted to dress as her since I was little. I'm just waiting to find the perfect materials~ I lost out on a fabulous wig over a year ago on eBay. *sigh*

Although... I think I'll cry when I finally get to make and wear that costume.

KuroBara
11-25-2003, 07:31 PM
*nods* I'm with Daitenshi. Amalthea would be great, and I'd probably cry. Either Amalthea or the Butterfly~ it would be fun to spout his lines.

I read the books years ago, I must try to find another copy.

edit: http://www.chanth.com/tlu/gallery1.html
This site has the best TLU gallery I've ever seen. There's no full shots of Amalthea, but it can still be helpful.

Cassyndra
11-25-2003, 07:39 PM
muwahahahaha....I have been Unicorn before, my sister was one too. We were really little and we had the velcro hoods with manes and horns and pin on tails....it was soooo cute!

Kitten
11-25-2003, 10:07 PM
Does anyone know the name/author of the book? I'd love to read it! :D

KuroBara
11-25-2003, 10:59 PM
Peter S. Beagle wrote the novel.