PDA

View Full Version : Crossplaying tips!

Chosuke
10-25-2002, 06:22 PM
Hello beautiful people!!
Here is where you can help poor children by putting all your wonderful crossplay tips,tricks and helpful advice for the impaired like myself ^^;;

Spooky Brew
10-25-2002, 06:25 PM
If a girl wants to dress like a guy, try to wrap up your hoo hoo's, especially if your character wears just a shirt or something light! It helps, just try not to bruise a rib in the process!
Brought to you by Dork of the Year!

Chosuke
10-25-2002, 06:54 PM
Aceing right? I saw a tutorial a loooong time ago..wish I had it now..x.x;

Spooky Brew
10-25-2002, 06:55 PM
I think so, I'm just gonna use some medical wrapping....y'know why? Cause I'm cheap! ^^

Chosuke
10-25-2002, 07:02 PM
hehehe xD me too!

aeva
10-25-2002, 07:14 PM
If a guy intends on dressing in panties or a short skirt, KEEP YOUR LEGS CLOSE TOGETHER. My friend Matt went as Frank n Furter when we went to see Rocky Horror live, and it was quite digusting as he sat all man-like in his woman's shirt and panties. >.< Too much.... ug... and then someone accidentally got him in a picture sitting like that! UG! @.@ ::dies::

So yeah. Remember what you're wearing.

Chosuke
10-25-2002, 07:16 PM
O_o;;; ..

Did he have the sexy frank legs?!!!!

Frank n furter has the nicest legs in the world..even my fanboys agree..o.o;

aeva
10-25-2002, 07:19 PM
http://www.geocities.com/starofstormhold/rocky_horror/2002_03Bonnie_Kate_Mum_Matt_Jane.jpg

Judge for yourself. But I say... no.

Chosuke
10-25-2002, 08:37 PM
I'l just take your word for it xD

aeva
10-25-2002, 08:39 PM
XD XD XD Smart girl, you are. He should have taken a visit to that "BIG Naga Problem" thread. XD

Chosuke
10-25-2002, 08:42 PM
I haven't looked at that yet..o.o;;..-looks,cringes,steps in to find out WHAT the big problem is.-

Koumori
10-26-2002, 12:28 AM
There was a sub-thread on the "Looking like your character" thread that covered binding in excruciating detail. Go look there.

khamryn
10-28-2002, 11:18 AM
I don't use ace bandages personally.. u.u; I made a rectangle of fabric 3 layers thick that didn't stretch, and stitched 3 lines along the length of it just to make sure... and its smaller then my bust.. so... yeah. I dunno if that would work for everyone. o.O; I don't have the biggest chest in the world.

:x If you really wanna be guy-like for something with tight pants.. stick a sock in em. u.u; ::hide, got that from Rosiel::

engrish
10-28-2002, 11:41 AM
Never Never Never continue shaving (whatever part of the body) if you feel discomfort. I shaved my legs once and it felt uncomfortable but not painful. After about 5 minutes my skin broke out in a nasty rash with bumps and sores that literally took a couple months to completely heal. no joke. I've found that using an electric razor (the kind you use to shave your head) to first cut the hair on your legs. Then use some "magic powder" on the remaining works pretty good. This technique is not as thorough as shaving but it's less irritating. There is one thing I haven't tried yet. Shaving using a blade(like in the old days). hmmm gotta try that someday.

engrish
10-28-2002, 11:45 AM
ohh btw I don't think safety razors(the kind you use for your face) should be used for the legs. There's too much hair on the legs. You'll just damage the blades too quickly and once it gets bent out of shape you'll end up with knicks and cuts all over. However a shaving blade just might work....maybe.

Shi
10-28-2002, 02:59 PM
Actually, I have an interesting tip for binding.

I have a small waist corset that laces up the front that I threw on for measurements in absence of an ace. It actually bound me better than an ace, and it isn't as bulky as the aces tend to become.

Chosuke
10-29-2002, 04:20 PM
I didn't even think of a corset -wacks self-

Sock in the pants? xD I think I would seriously disturb my friend mark if I leaned up against him and he felt a "sock" down there xD

Famira Damaris
10-29-2002, 04:40 PM
Hmm...about the binding - anyone have any links/advice to doing it properly?

Chosuke
10-29-2002, 04:46 PM
Someone said it was in a forum but I don't ahve enough time on the net to go through every one and look for it..x.x;

Cassandra
10-29-2002, 06:31 PM
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/agitor/ftm/bind.html

Now that site is aimed at lesbians wanting to....umm...get rid of their female form. But it does give some tips and stuff.

Shinobu
10-29-2002, 09:14 PM
To the person who talked about shaving legs...
If you have problems with razors (you must have been alergic to the metal in the razor) Use Nair. It works in 4 minutes on each leg and makes them smooth for a while. (about a week) Using an electric razor and powder is too much work dontcha think?

L to the 3rd
10-29-2002, 10:10 PM
i'm not gonna put any socks in my
pants, thank you.

I just use drafting tape for binding..
comes off easily.

Famira Damaris
10-29-2002, 10:10 PM
*L* I love the warning on Nair's bottle. :P Wait twenty-four hours before each use. Don't let sit for over ten minutes - is it going to burn off my leg or something? oO

Ooh...*stares at the purty Squall avvie* XD!

Ayaka
10-29-2002, 11:16 PM
> Don't let sit for over ten minutes - is it going to burn off my leg or something?

No, but it WILL give you a nasty rash if you leave it on too long. :P Don't.

Miaka No Baka
10-30-2002, 02:36 AM
nair is evil! It started burning me really badly one time I used it. I got the 4 min raspberry one and it burned badly. I had it on for maybe 1 min when I started feeling it get hot then by the 4th minute i was frantically trying to get it off ASAP cause it felt like it was eating my skin. *note* i did try this on my underarm legs are different and the skin is more durable there than under your arm.

A good razor for a guy I'd say is a Venus razor or V3nus how it's written. It's got 3 blades with the smooth strip thingie, my boyfriend loves that for shaving his legs when he wears kingdom heart tidus. Always get yourself some skintimate shave cream to help the razor do it's job. Also my boyfriend sometimes will use his normal face electric razor. He has one of those remington 3 circular blade thingies he says it doesn't hurt and it shaves pretty nice but the razor dies by the time we finish one leg, lol ^_^;

A question for all of u. what would u recommend for a girl with a rather large chest for crossplaying as a guy. I may eventually want to but my chest is kinda too large I think to do anything for whether it be binding or what not.

Miaka no Baka

Umi
10-30-2002, 02:51 AM
Miaka no Baka: Any decent department store (for sure Macy's) will have a body shaping section in the lingerie department. It consists of anything and everything between tummy contouring underwear to entire body suits. I'm sure there is something there that compresses chests.

KelBebop
10-31-2002, 12:44 PM
For binding...ahem...larger chests, I would recommend either an Elizabethan-style corset or, my favorite method, which is an abdominal compression bandage. They are made of wide (8") elastic, and they have velcro closures. They're meant to "hold everything in" post-abdominal surgery, so you can make them good and tight. Best of all, since the closure is velcro, you can adjust it as you need throughout the day, and you don't need someone to help you! :D

I've recently started wearing a compression bandage for binding when I crossplay, and I'm really happy with the results. Of course, you won't be able to go totally flat if you have a larger chest, but you can get a nice smooth silhouette.

Chosuke
10-31-2002, 12:47 PM
where would you buy that exactly?.. I'm not exactly err.. flat.

KelBebop
10-31-2002, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Chobrat
where would you buy that exactly?.. I'm not exactly err.. flat.

I bought mine at Walgreen's drug store, but I'm sure you can find them in any drug store or places like Wal-Mart and Target. Just look in the section that has Ace bandages...it's usually near the Band-Aids. Be forewarned, though, it's a little pricey! Mine cost me $27. You could probably find it for cheaper if you shop around a bit. I was in a hurry and needed it for a con, so I paid the price for convenience. :thumbsup:

Chosuke
10-31-2002, 12:59 PM
Oh great.. $27 american is like $50 canadian -_-;
We don't have a Walgreens or Target,only walmart..

Ali-kun
10-31-2002, 07:22 PM
Eww...Nair is so gross >_< Unless they changed the formula drastically since I last used it 4~5 years ago when I started shaving. Ewww. It never IRRITATED my skin, it just didn't WORK. And it smelled like crap. I think it was supposed to smell like cucumbers. Maybe raspberry-scented wouldn't be too bad ^_^

I've never had any problems with shaving with a razor, though...even though I'm lazy so I never shave my legs unless it's for a special occasion (did it exactly once last year, only halfway up my calf, for prom ;P)
Which means that they get as hairy as some guys, yet I never have problems with razors dulling o_O Maybe my hair is just really fine or something ^^;;

...haha, sorry if I gross people out by talking about hairy legs ;P My friends are used to them by now *G*

Umi
10-31-2002, 08:52 PM
I think it's because the razors that guys use for their face just aren't meant to handle hair on legs which is why it dies so quickly.

Chosuke
11-01-2002, 01:17 PM
You know what ive wondered..

would it be more acurate to not shave your legs/armpits in crossplay costume if you cosplaying a guy..or would it be more accurate to shave o_O;

I have to shave regularly cause my gym uniform is shorts :X

Miaka No Baka
11-01-2002, 01:19 PM
actually the raspberry scented one smells like crap too X_X I dont know what they're thinking with it. I mean skintimate shaving cream has raspberry scented shaving cream and it smells good, like how you'd expect but nair, guess not...

Miaka no Baka

Chosuke
11-01-2002, 01:22 PM
I use skintimate silky watermelon.. smells so good I get hungry o.o;

Rosiel
11-01-2002, 03:12 PM
> would it be more acurate to not shave your legs/armpits in crossplay costume if you cosplaying a guy..or would it be more accurate to shave o_O;

Shave. Men in anime don't have body hair unless they are of the big burly sort. ^___^

Mei Lan Chang
11-01-2002, 06:52 PM
Wax.

I dare you.

3-D
11-01-2002, 07:40 PM
OW. Holy CRAP you're mean Mei....

engrish
11-01-2002, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Mei Lan Chang
Wax.

I dare you.

Been there done that. As a test, I waxed a small section of skin, about 2 inches squared. When I ripped the hair out it hurt like #%^! I inspected the hair that was removed and saw blood spots on the hair folicles. That was the first and last time I tried waxing.

Nair does not work, it's too weak. You need Magic Powder. It's made for men.

As for the crotch sock, that doesn't sound to bad. I wouldn't mind if my girlfriend did that. Now if she putted a "strap on d----" I'd honestly feel a little uncomfortable with that. Ohh wait I forgot I don't a girlfriend so I don't have to worry about that. *breathes a nervous sigh of relief*

Chosuke
11-02-2002, 09:37 PM
o.o;

I got my eyebrows waxed.. it din't hurt xD
<rosiel> Yea,shaving would be way more accurate I think.
You never see Aya with hairy legs o.o;

Gothic_Lulu
11-02-2002, 10:16 PM
Crossplaying.....*considers*

Well I sort of have a dillema......or something...^^

For a con I am dressing up as KH Squall and I am not sure whether I should:

A. Crossplay (try do binding and all that stuff)
B. Wear the costume male version but do not do the rest of the crossplay stuff
C. Make a more female version of the costume

I read about binding.....*looks down*....ack but my chest...um....is not the smallest in the world.....I guess you could say I have a lot to work with ^^;

So with this problem I was not sure if I could bind them down very well because it would be my first time and it would be pretty hard....I also have a pretty non bishie femine hour-glass like figure which I could never really pull off as a male character if I was going to do an exact carbon copy....

So really.....I have to decide....the reason why I am not to gung- ho on going with my body type and just as a female version is because I am going to be spending a lot of money of the costume....*I'm buying a gunblade from Kamui....^^* and I have to buy all the other stuff......and i want to put a lot of effort in it.....

So everybody, since more of you have more experience then me....what should I do?....What would look better?

-Gothic Lulu

:devil:

Chosuke
11-03-2002, 12:27 PM
hummm..o.o;
Well ..
If you got the really reallly curvy feminine form maybe you should try KH female squall though its already been done...
But then again.. if you want to be REALLY true to the design,you could perhaps try to do the male and go through tons of binding for all that extra stuff you have to work with and such

Celine
11-03-2002, 04:44 PM
Gothic Lulu, here's my suggestion: If you're larger than a C, I wouldn't even bother trying to bind, and just go with a female version. Even a C is quite impossible to completly flatten, so it's best to choose a character who isn't wearing something skin tight (easier to hide under a T-shirt or jacket). If you have a big problem with an hourglass figure, I'd suggest putting a little padding (like some fabric strapped around your waist) around your midsection to even out the size between your chest and hips.

Binding is quite uncomfortable- you might want to buy a bandage and try it out and make sure that you're okay with it before you make a decision. You don't want to make it so uncomfortable that you can't wear your costume around for hours!

Gothic_Lulu
11-03-2002, 04:49 PM
Female version of the costume or the male version just without all the binding?.........yeah i think it would be impossible to bind...*cries*

Thanks Chobrat and Celine! ^^

-Gothic Lulu:devil:

psythe
11-04-2002, 08:08 AM
I think I'm gonna try the wax thing. If the cons are close together (4 weeks give/take) You only have to do it once!!:thumbsup:

lol

Chosuke
11-04-2002, 08:20 AM
I'm going to get a basic all body wax for AN..
I got my eyebrows done and legs done before and too me,it didn't hurt nearly as much as <plucking the eyebrows> did and it lasted all nice and smooth for a long time *-*
But then again,people have different pain tolerances..

denki sutakaki
01-18-2005, 06:38 PM
Oh, I've put a sock in before. When I went as Gackt beat up by Malic Mizer fans for Haloween to a Party-thing. Haha.

Kokuu
01-18-2005, 07:38 PM
Wow this is really old. denki sutakaki, please do not post in threads that are over two years old.

Reno_kun
01-22-2005, 08:04 AM
Oddly enough I do shave my legs for those kinda cosplay's where the character wears shorts a great razor is the shick qautro midnight it has 4 blades and 2! condintioning strips and buy some skintament (sp?) shave gel you'll have soft smoth silky legs in no time flat. still working on the crossplay thing though.

Pariah
02-08-2005, 04:22 PM
I think it's because the razors that guys use for their face just aren't meant to handle hair on legs which is why it dies so quickly.
The quality of blades is markedly different, yes.

Either use a woman's razor, or be prepared to switch razors a number of times during your initial shave, and using only one for later touch-up shaves.

Karisu-sama
02-11-2005, 03:08 AM
There was no good reason to resurrect this old thread.