PDA

View Full Version : Schoolgirl costume tutorial

IzabelaChan
11-23-2003, 02:00 PM
Hello everyone!

It is a long ago that I made myself a schoolgirl costume and now my best friend wants to make herself one,too.
Unfortunately I lost the instruction I found on a website (the homepage's down at the moment anyway...) and I'd like to ask if you could help me through telling me if there's another site where I can find one, the main problem is the pleated skirt which I dearly need an instruction for (she wants to disguise herself as Sailor Mars and the MiniCon's taking place next month!)

I'll be very grateful for any hint :)

Cu IzabelaChan

LuckInSpades
11-23-2003, 02:30 PM
You can buy a pattern at most any fabric store. Just look for a cheerleader costume. They should be pleated skirts. If not, I am sorry =( I know you need some binding tape for sure. That should help you keep the shape of the pleats. I think you just need to measure the pleat length, fold it, iron it, and place the tape down. Then just sew the waistband on the held pleats, and they should remain.

Miaka No Baka
11-23-2003, 03:37 PM
I've never used binding tape at all when I've made it and my pleats hold fine. To make a pleated skirt you need 3X your waist measurement in fabric. So say your waist is 36 inches, you need to get 3 yards of fabric since 1 yd = 36 inches. You simply first trim it to the length you want the skirt + an inch or two for hemming. Then you first want to hem the skirt as short as you want it, then you start your pleating, and you pin the pleats in then iron the heck ouf of them, steam ironing seems to work best then you sew on the waistband and stitch the side up a little then add a zipper a 7inch zipper is usually sufficient. Then sew on a hook and eye for the waistband to keep that close and then you're done. Trust me if you hem it first before you pleat you'll have an easier time.

Miaka no Baka

IzabelaChan
11-26-2003, 01:52 AM
Hallo again everyone!
The webmistress was as kind as to reactivate the website I was so dearly looking for:

Here is it:

http://www.welcometoandromeda.com/schoolgirlcostume.html

Absolutely recomendable!!!!!!!!! ;-)

Cu IzabelaChan

KuroBara
11-26-2003, 11:22 AM
I second what Miaka no Baka says, HEM FIRST! This comes from a Catholic High School graduate, hemming those pleats is a big pain. There's a hemming tape that looks like lace, it does a really good job and makes the inside look cute.

That's a really good tutorial. *bookmarks*