PDA

View Full Version : I got a question that reeeeely needs an answer.....

Dragoon
11-24-2003, 11:38 PM
Uh hi......Ok im new here and i wanna ask, Can I make my own costume design or do i have to be a charachter from a game, movie, ect or etc...... eiher way iI juz wanna know and the other thing is, Would it be a good idea to be master chief from halo?

ChibiToon
11-25-2003, 08:29 PM
You can be an original character if you want. I'm pretty sure there are no rules on that. The only downfall is that you might not get alot of people wanting to take your picture at a convention. (That is, unless, you make a really spiffy costume.)

CT

Dragoon
11-26-2003, 01:21 AM
thank you very much

Garuda_Aiacos
11-26-2003, 10:32 AM
It'll greatly depend on country to country; events to events. :)

Over in Singapore, Original Design Costumes except for those supported by an established Illustration or FanFic or Doujinshi (and some times Movies ones as the Cosplay Event Organizers and many cosplayers here lack the knowledge about Movies Costumes) are NOT called Cosplay at all by those Cosplay "Purist" and highly frown upon. From a certain point of view, there is rationality behind this as Cosplay is about dressing up and acting like a character that had been seen/read in a Manga/Anime/Game/JRock/JPop, and it differ those who are Cosplaying to follow the latest Trend (Cosplay for the sake of it and to gain Fame, Recognization, Popularity etc) and those who are sincere about taking up or trying out Cosplay.

But I notice that in the US, there doesn't seems to be too much opposition to Original Design Cosplay so you shouldn't have a problem doing it. ;) Personally as a mostly Movies Costumer, I enjoy Original Design Cosplay as long as efforts had been put into the designing and making of the costumes and props. ;)

Jen-neko
11-26-2003, 07:14 PM
Original character cosplay is cool, in my opinion :P There are a lot of people around the site that have plans/have made original character costumes in the past. I like them, but they have to have some effort put into them (not just a bunch of store-bought clothes and junk just thrown together).

As far as entering an original character in a cosplay contest, most cons only allow anime, manga, game, etc. characters. I think there are cons out there that have original character cosplay contests, but I'm honestly not sure. You'll have to check that out for yourself.