PDA

View Full Version : maiev shoulders

Irarenovo
08-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Hi guys,
I asked in the armor making threads, but I figured I'd ask here too.

I'm waiting for some fabric to come in for my BF's maiev cosplay.. and I'm forming the shoulders.

Right now I have a insulation foam "platform" to hold the shoulders & cloak..
The top pauldron is formed with foam & duck tape, filled with newspaper.. yeah, classy :P but I'm wondering what YOU guys would do for the wings of the shoulders

I'm thinking I might just glue / tape / plaster / mache them on and hope they stay up. Was plannin on making the wings out of insulation foam again because it is very light and shouldnt take too much to hold...

The plan B will be to impale the shoulder to give the wing more support. I want to paper mache or plaster the whole thing so its smooth.. then paint over it. plaster is heavy but I know its a little sturdier... so I'm debating.

..and yes, I said boyfriend o.o; crossplay for his first cosplay! ^_^;

LalaFTL
08-05-2011, 10:36 PM
Do you mean her WC3 wings or the WoW spikes she has now? Honestly when I pondered doing this costume, I decided on definitely doing the shoulder pieces (either of them!) with insulation foam so they're super lightweight. Shouldn't be too terribly hard to carve either.

I think plaster would be a little too heavy, both versions of her shoulders are pretty massive...

Falinadin
08-08-2011, 03:15 AM
Here's my Maiev cosplay so far:
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/hemetgirl/283338_1943603666701_1140752763_31697764_4783429_n .jpg

I made both the base and the wings out of insulation foam. My original plan was to have heavy gauge wire inside the wings that would be stabbed into the base. However I realized that I didn't want that much pressure on something thin like wire, or it might tear through. So I made a rectangle out of wonderflex (about 4 layers together) and stuck it in the base, with about half of it coming out the top. Then when I made the wings I carved a little slit in the bottom, so they can actually just slide on and off. When they're on, they're steady.
I will also add, because the wings are so tall, you need to make sure that the shoulder pieces are attached really well via some type of harness or something, because if you lean forwards they want to tip over very easily.

LalaFTL
08-08-2011, 10:59 AM
That looks amazing so far, Falin!!

Irarenovo
08-09-2011, 04:43 PM
yours look so much better than mine!! :( but it is very inspiring ^__^;

I do like the block idea..... I think I can cut into mine and make an anchor like that.. then the wings can be detachable for travel!!

I'll have to take a picture of progress this weekend.. hopefully with the cloak!

also-- my shoulders will be a combo of the hyjal wardens, with some detail inspired from the BC loading screen.. he likes the wider shoulders of the hyjal ladies, so mine will be more round and.. overly super large :0 thats why I'm using a big oval with a hole cut for the head as a platform to hold it all up.. hopefully that will help with the forward motion too.

WR_Pouncival
08-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Wow, that is looking awesome so far!

Falinadin
08-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Thanks guys! Mine is going to be as close to the loading screen art as possible. I think she looks a bit cleaner and sexier in that pic, lol.

Tonksie
08-10-2011, 09:44 AM
Chiming in to say that your Maiev is looking AMAZING. Can't wait to see it finished!

Irarenovo
08-10-2011, 10:18 AM
Yeah, I'm also making the collar piece from the WoW models.. it's hard to tell how to make it, since in wow world, the collar and shoulders overlap & melt together when the ladies are moving :\ but I'll figure it out!

I also wanted to do the loading screen version, but I think my BF thinks "bigger is better" lol
I tried persuading him that more detail is > than size in cosplay world.. but he insisted!