PDA

View Full Version : Can I Wear This?

Chelsea Leigh
08-09-2011, 11:31 AM
I'm thinking about attending Aki Con this year, which is an "anime and manga convention".

I really want to dress up as a character from World of Warcraft.

Is this acceptable? Or should I stick with an anime character?

Ion
08-09-2011, 11:37 AM
As long as your costume fits the convention guidelines in terms of coverage and/or whatever themes are allowed, it should be fine. Check the convention website for cosplay-specific rules.

Many people cosplay from games, movies, comics, and other sources at so called "anime and manga" conventions and no one really minds. I personally like seeing a variety of costumes from different genre at conventions.

Bisected8
08-09-2011, 11:46 AM
You can cosplay any character you want, as long as it's not in bad taste (and even that varies).

Pocketfightr
08-09-2011, 11:58 AM
There's been plenty of WoW costumes at anime cons.

Blood_Sword
08-09-2011, 12:00 PM
I've seen WoW costumes at "anime and manga" cons and they often got a lot of attention too. Heck, I've seen Jack Sparrow and Stormtroppers too. So go for it.

pltshp
08-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Feel free! Hell, I'm planning a Minecraft cosplay and will wear that at anime conventions. My upcoming con is an anime and Japanese-centric con, yet I'll be cosplaying from a Western webcomic. It's up to you :3

BlondieSundae
08-09-2011, 12:16 PM
WoW is a video game and many people cosplay from video games at cons. I just dunno if you could enter it in a contest is all due to different cons have different masquerade rules. Make sure to check rules to see if the costume is appropriate as always.

Tymuko
08-09-2011, 12:23 PM
I've never been to Aki Con but the anime and manga cons I have been to have always had plenty of love for other cosplays. I can't think of a convention where there hasn't been outside genre cosplayers in abundance. Although I can only think of a few occasions where those cosplayers have participated in the cosplay competition, but they did pretty well if memory serves.

StrawberrySiren
08-09-2011, 12:57 PM
For the past two Otakons, I've cosplayed from American cartoons. Next year is video game time. I've taken pictures of mostly Doctor Who cosplayers. And will seriously take any picture of a DC Comics cosplayer. You do what you want.

SweeneyTodd
08-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Yea, I agree with everyone else. You can pretty much cosplay whatever you want at a con as long as it covers a decent amount of you and it isn't too offensive. I even saw people cosplaying from commercials at this years Otakon (saw a couple Flos from Progressive Insurance, a Traveling Gnome and I think an Old Spice guy)
And I never cosplay from anime at anime cons. lol I'm freakin' Sweeney Todd whenever I go to cons, so even though it is an anime/manga con, people tend to accept a wide variety of cosplays

ToroSonyCat
08-09-2011, 02:00 PM
It's completely acceptable!
A lot of anime fans are into WoW too so it should fit in perfectly.

~BloodCaduceus~
08-09-2011, 02:38 PM
WoW is totally acceptable, you'd be surprised how great that fandom is at anime conventions!

If you plan on entering a contest though, be sure to read the rules regarding costumes not based from Japanese animation or manga. Otherwise, feel free to wear as you please.

kracken29
08-09-2011, 02:42 PM
There's always more than just anime cosplays at anime cons. There's almost always a Spider-Man at the cons I've been to, and Jesus usually makes an appearance too. Edward Cullen has was at the last 2 AnimeNEXT cons.

Go for it! Cosplay whatever you want. ^^

SweeneyTodd
08-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Edward Cullen has was at the last 2 AnimeNEXT cons.

Really there was? How did I not see him? I would have loved to get a pic of me "shaving" him. xD lol
Sorry to be off topic, I just had to post that.

Tymuko
08-09-2011, 07:30 PM
Jesus usually makes an appearance too.

Oh yeah! Jesus has been at the last few cons I was at too!

Xanarcah
08-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Come to Aki-Con~ It's pretty neat for a small con.

WoW cosplays can be pretty spectacular, so go for it. : D

mokulen22
08-10-2011, 07:27 AM
I have seen many WoW characters at anime cons. No one will say anything. I mean, they have meme cosplay, Doctor who, North American Cartoons, etc...

ToadSparx
08-10-2011, 08:49 AM
And don't forget, WoW has a graphic novel, or "Manga" so you really aren't out of place at all!

Kazukii
10-23-2011, 10:11 PM
Late reply, but please do! I really wish more WoW cosplayers didn't just show up for Blizzcon and went to other ones as well. :)

AnimeGamer
10-23-2011, 11:24 PM
Late reply, but please do! I really wish more WoW cosplayers didn't just show up for Blizzcon and went to other ones as well. :)

Actually, there are quite a few WoW cosplayers who do Anime cosplay as well. I've also seen/heard of them doing Comic cosplay (like Superman), among others.

Kazukii
10-23-2011, 11:45 PM
I'm sure there are, I personally just never see them. :)