PDA

View Full Version : Space Sword Sokka

08-11-2011, 12:43 AM
Hey i was wondering if anyone made a space sword? I dont have too much exp making props and im not rly sure which way to do it.

The method i was planning to do was buy a toy sword prop as the base. Use cardboard for the cross guard. And use paper clay on the blade to make it look realistic. Use a sealer i got and sand it down and use acrylic black paint. I need help with the design i cant find a good pattern =/

The other method i was going to do was use a wooden stick as the base, glue and tape on foam board as the base. And finish the blade with paper clay. I bought cellu-clay brand for the paper clay and im going to test it out.

http://jonas64.deviantart.com/art/Zuko-vs-Sokka-75357898
(Its the Black Sword)

Any help,tips, and suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Chaos42
08-11-2011, 02:04 AM
http://chaosmage42.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=24#/d41me37
i built this and its construction method would be about the same as the sword your talking about

08-11-2011, 02:47 AM
@chaos is there a tutorial? Couldnt find one...

Chaos42
08-11-2011, 03:09 AM
not really i built these my self and had to figure it out. Im an artist actually, and im kinda trying to get into prop making. im working on making stuff like this right now-i even have one guy who asked me to make him the 4th hokage's kunai -almost done the stain is drying right now.

as for the sword the main issue with that is shaving the wood i took some wood cut it not the correct shape and spent hours with tools shaving the wood off to give it the blade like quality you see on those

but its doable if you have some major power tools like ban saws and rotary tools. If you have such you might be able to make one.

Actually how big do you want this sword to be.

ubercaledor
08-11-2011, 07:37 AM
http://os-cordis.deviantart.com/art/The-Best-Warrior-207641113?q=gallery%3Aos-cordis%2F26558281&qo=10

Here's a shot with mine over the shoulder... I've got some other shots of the production, but nothing I've uploaded as yet. Our one was made of MDF. If you want step-by-step, I'll see if I can find the prog pics.

In our case due to heavy weapons restrictions in our state, it is actually flat and round-edged, but dusted in different directions to make it 3D.

Here- I uploaded a full shot.
http://os-cordis.deviantart.com/gallery/28297976#/d466d1f

08-11-2011, 12:24 PM
@chaos cant afford it =/

@ubercaledor wats mdf and the full shot wont open? Awesome sokka btw!

2DLogic
08-11-2011, 01:18 PM
Its a basic Taiji sword design. Since it sounds like you have little experience with things like this, the easiest way I can think to make this is going to be rigid insulation foam, a wooden dowel, and a small wooden disk. You're probably gonna want 1/4" thick sheeting, one sheet will be more than enough.

-Draw out the design
-Cut out the blade and guard profile
-Cut two additional guard shapes
-Cut a slot into the blade/guard profile so that the profile can slide over the dowel/hilt
-Carve/sand/cut indentations into the additional guard shapes so that when sandwiched around the blade profile and dowel/hilt it will sit flush on the sides
-Sand an edge onto your blade
-Glue everything together
-Seal, sand, prime, paint

MDF is Medium Density Fiberboard, you'd want some wood working experience/tools if that's your material of choice.

08-11-2011, 09:01 PM
@d2logic thanks for some ideas. Do u know if working w a toy sword as a base will be better?

Emrys
08-12-2011, 06:04 PM
I think a toy sword as a base would be too thick, and they're usually not very long... But if you think you can get it to work then that's less work you have to do.

You could totally make the blade from balsa wood and use cardboard for the hilt and a balsa wood dowel for the grip. No power tools needed unless you want to use a belt sander to fake a sharp edge.

2DLogic
08-12-2011, 06:33 PM
Agreed about the toy sword being too thick. You could pick up a wooden Taiji on the cheap and mod that however.

You wouldn't even need a belt sander to sand an edge into balsa. It's a very soft wood and an edge could easily be shaped with hand tools. Might as well use balsa for the hilt guard too if you're going to make the rest of the sword from it.

08-20-2011, 12:44 PM
sry yeah i meant a wooden sword. They go for about 15$ in chinatown. Im gonna see how this goes...thanks for everything guys!

Clyde_2.0
08-21-2011, 02:34 AM
I've been looking into making this weapon as well... I'm planning to do a Firenation Sokka cosplay in the next 6 months or so.

There are some good suggestions here. But balsa wood is really, really, really fragile. It's very similar to foam in weight and you can damage or even break it with you fingers alone. I would not use it for anything more than small details.

Using a wooden toy sword might work but you'd need to be very careful about building the shape with clay, it'll be very prone to breaking as well.

What I was thinking of was getting a 1/4 inch thick plank of soft wood, like pine or poplar, at Home Depot. These woods are soft enough to sand well, but hard enough to not break the second they're dropped on accident. Plus they're pretty cheap, ~$8-9.
-Trace on an outline of the sword and cut it out with a jig saw or a hack saw or a dremel.
-cut out 2 extra rectangles for the handle and glue one to each side of the main piece.
-sand the handle until it's circular enough to hold comfortably, sand the edges of the blade.
-add in the hilt details with balsa wood, cardboard, craft foam, your choice.
-paint. seal. done!

I'd like to see how you do end up doing this so keep us posted when you make up your mind!

08-21-2011, 05:41 PM
@clyde the paper clay seems pretty durable for the boomerang I'm making right now. ill keep u posted: )

Kyler2802
02-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Posted this in your other thread, didn't even realize this one was up lol.

I made one quite a while ago when I didn't have a whole lot of tools.

http://fav.me/d4of0dr

Solid wood construction, really simple design. If you like, I can commission one for you for cheap!

02-02-2012, 01:42 PM
@kyler thanks but i already bought majority of the materials. Thanks for the info tho